URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 223
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC - Guest Chef"

Posted by grit on 12-13-10 at 05:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-14-10 AT 09:30 AM (EST)

I'm not on the OTCC schedule but I've been reading all of the OTCC thresds. In spite of that, I have always been planning to post an OTCC - Guest Chef thresd. In true grit fashion, however, that thresd was going to be Hot Dogs.

Today, however, I have a legitimate contribution to make. I started making this recipe a couple of months ago and my family begs for it all the time now.

Barbecued Ribs

Ingredients:

2 pounds ribs, cut in 2-inch pieces
Salt
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2T lemon juice
2T brown sugar
1T prepared mustard
1/8 t salt
1T Worcestershire sauce

Trim the top layer of fat from the ribs. Place several pieces of the fat in a Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until the bottom is lightly coated with fat. Remove the fat from the pot. NOTE: If your ribs are like mine in the picture and don't have much excess fat, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in the Dutch oven.

Sprinkle the ribs with salt then brown them on all sides.

Remove pieces as they are done.

Add the onion and saute until lightly browned.

Add ketchup, water, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, salt, and Worcestershire sauce.

Return the ribs to the pot. (NOTE: I made a double batch so I had to stand the ribs on their sides to get them to all fit in the Dutch oven.)

Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Or you may finish cooking the ribs in the covered pot in a 300 degree oven.

Here they are after 2 hours in the Dutch oven:

This isn't part of the original recipe but about 15 minutes before we're ready to eat, I move the ribs to a pan that I can put in the oven. The sauce in the Dutch oven is pretty loose so I thicken it with some Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce (my family's favorite). Then I spoon the sauce over the ribs and finish them in the oven.

Here they are with the thickened sauce on them, ready for the oven:

I got sliced!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Guest Chef"
Posted by weltek on 12-13-10 at 05:51 PM
Look at you and your fancy photos and everything! It's a great time of year to break out the dutch oven. Would've also been a great time for boiled or microwaved hot dogs, I guess.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by frodis on 12-13-10 at 06:47 PM
Wow, those hot dogs look goooo-oooood.

I've never made ribs on the stovetop. I've always made them in the oven. I'm looking forward to trying this, especially since I bought a lot of buy-one-get-one-free slabs of ribs a while back and have been pacing myself on using them up.

I always have all of the sauce ingredients in the house, including the Sweet Baby Ray's.

Thanks, grit!

Posted by grit on 12-14-10 at 09:39 AM
I've done the ribs 3 different ways. When I put the Dutch oven in the oven for 2 hours, it meant bending over the hot oven every time I needed to turn the ribs or stir the sauce. Cooking them on the stovetop is definitely easier.

When my brother came to visit, I made a quadruple sized batch of the ribs so there was no room in the Dutch oven. I browned the ribs in a large frying pan, mixed up the sauce, placed the ribs in a pan meat-side down into the sauce and cooked them in the oven. The difference was noticeable. The ribs were not as tender (although I probably should have covered the pan with foil). When I cook them in the Dutch oven, the ribs are almost totally covered with sauce the whole time and the meat is practically falling off the bone when they're done.

Posted by Starshine on 12-13-10 at 06:57 PM
Cool photos!

I christen you ThunderGritty

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

"Ramsey Says:"
Posted by foonermints on 12-13-10 at 07:34 PM
The last photo appears to have missed the garnish station.

"RE: Ramsey Says:"
Posted by grit on 12-14-10 at 09:40 AM
The ribs weren't around long enough to plate and garnish.

another agman creation

*throws risotto at fooner*

"Poor Wench!"
Posted by foonermints on 12-14-10 at 02:18 PM
Bending over an open fire, fighting ashes and pushing around hot coals to cook a tasty meal in appreciation of your menfolk doing the real work to provide you with safety and comfort from the Wilds.
Touching, that.

I bet you look like Cinderella!
risotto? Noooooooo

Posted by Tummy on 12-14-10 at 06:08 PM
And exactly why haven't you ever joined OTCC?! Look at you, with pics and everything.

Posted by foonermints on 12-14-10 at 06:27 PM
I think Grit likes to hide her lamp under a basket.

Posted by Tummy on 12-14-10 at 07:12 PM
That's dirty talk isn't it?

Posted by Karchita on 12-14-10 at 07:35 PM
Maybe she has commitment phobia.

This does look good ... I have never made ribs and never eat them. I am aware, however, that they have twenty zillion calories.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by foonermints on 12-14-10 at 07:48 PM
Hush up. Someone might read this.

Posted by Tummy on 12-15-10 at 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure they won't. Now if you had posted this on facebook.....

"You Win!"
Posted by foonermints on 12-15-10 at 01:15 PM
*looks at time*

An old mountaineering friend contacted me last week through facebook, forcing me to open an account. The horror!
Since then, I think I found another buddy who was on the second winter attempt on Mt McKinley with me.
I try not to blab too much. I'd rather see them in person.

OK.. now let's go back to the Dirty Talk..

"RE: You Win!"
Posted by Tummy on 12-15-10 at 01:34 PM
Well, welcome to the end of humanity!

Can not believe Grit has not jumped in here to explain about hiding her Light!

"RE: You Win!"
Posted by foonermints on 12-15-10 at 01:39 PM
She's probably Hot-Dogging.

"Or Asleep"
Posted by foonermints on 12-15-10 at 11:20 PM
foonermint: replying to my own post as a sure sign of sanity

"RE: Or Asleep"
Posted by Karchita on 12-16-10 at 02:44 AM
You really climbed McKinley? When?

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by foonermints on 12-16-10 at 03:21 AM
Shouldn't you be in bed?

I climbed Noshaq in Afghanistan too. Just a young man staying out of trouble.

Posted by Karchita on 12-16-10 at 04:00 AM
Wow. I'm impressed. Foonermountaineer. Who knew?

The night is young.

Posted by Tummy on 12-16-10 at 10:06 AM

I knew, I knew.

Posted by foonermints on 12-16-10 at 01:17 PM
I prefer hiding my lamp under a basket.

Posted by Tummy on 12-16-10 at 01:37 PM
I thought you would more prefer to hide your basket under a lamp.

Posted by Karchita on 12-16-10 at 04:03 PM
I thought he had confused his basket for a lamp.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 12-16-10 at 04:31 PM
I heard that that has been known to happen.

Posted by grit on 12-16-10 at 06:08 PM
*comes out from under bushel*

*whacks Tummy, fooner & Karchita with weenies hot dogs*

*grabs flashlight and goes back under bushel*

"OW!"
Posted by foonermints on 12-16-10 at 09:14 PM

"Limbs heavy, can barely move"
Posted by qwertypie on 01-01-11 at 10:11 PM
Made this with Slice's Carrot Parsnip Soup and Thndrkttn's foccacia bread. I think we are all going to curl up and beome unconscious for several hours.

We really enjoyed the rib recipe, I couldn't find the regular mustard (I am scared to venture in Sam's room because that is usually where it ends up), so used dijon instead. The only regret is that I didn't make more. This is definitely a triple the recipe recipe.

Next time I will try your oven trick, but there was definitely no complaints from this crew about runny sauce (the foccacia sopped that up just fine thankyouverymuch!)

Thanks Grit!

"RE: Limbs heavy, can barely move"
Posted by grit on 01-03-11 at 09:50 AM
It's funny that you just bumped this. I made these ribs again on New Year's Day. We needed to go shopping so I made them early and left them cooking on the stove. They ended up simmering for 3-1/2 hours and the meat fell off the bones. My daughter said that they were the best yet and that I have perfected my rib recipe.

"Lucky"
Posted by foonermints on 01-03-11 at 12:59 PM
You didn't burn your house to the ground.

Or what must be left of the deck.

I am KukulGod!

"The great debate"
Posted by weltek on 01-03-11 at 02:05 PM
There's always contention at our rib cookoff about "is it best when the meat falls off the bone?" Most of the cooks don't think it should, but many of the rib eater think it should.I've had really delicious ribs both ways, so I don't care so much. But with country ribs, I would much rather have it off the bone than on. On the bone for country ribs generally means lots of fat is still left to render.

-A Tribetastic Creation