URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 2211
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Sandwich King"

Posted by samboohoo on 08-22-11 at 09:47 AM
Yay!!

I thought it deserved its own thread.

It debuted yesterday at 11:30 a.m. I didn't get to see it until much later when I was folding clothes.

He made two sandwiches yesterday. Can't remember the names.

The first was a French Dip kind of sandwich and looked super yummy. It included homemade Giardiniera, which I found the recipe for:

Homemade Giardiniera:
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
4 serrano chiles, sliced into rounds
1 cup small cauliflower florets
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup julienned red bell peppers
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups canola oil
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

I make French Dips for us frequently an am, in fact, doing one tomorrow for dinner. I will not have time to braise it and roast it the way he is doing it, but I will definitely do it that way for a football Sunday this fall. I plan to throw my beef in the crockpot tomorrow, and thanks to Jeff, I will add some red wine.

I will totall make this Giardiniera, although I may not add the chiles because I'm not a hot-pepper kind of person.

The second sandwich had a homemade fig spread and didn't look like something I would eat, but I enjoyed watching him.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Sandwich King"
Posted by JessicaRN on 08-22-11 at 01:01 PM
How did he do? I love sandwiches, so will probably at least check out his page on the Food Network site.

They always seem so much better once they get their own show. I just picked up the book, Food Network Star; The Official Insider's Guide, for some fun, outside reading.

Posted by samboohoo on 08-22-11 at 01:55 PM
He was great! I loved it. I knew I would.

FTR: Jeff looks like he's been eating a lot of sandwiches. :O

Posted by weltek on 08-23-11 at 04:46 PM
I thought he was entertaining. He got a great lead in spot after Guy and Bobby.

His second sandwich was a mortadela and fig focaccia, grilled like a panini. I'm not a huge mortadela fan, but would love to try this with prosciutto.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/mortadella-and-fig-focaccianini-recipe/index.html

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by samboohoo on 08-24-11 at 09:35 AM
I think you said it somewhere. I can totally see him working with Guy.

Also, I can't even begin to spell it without looking it up, so I'm not really going to try. The sandwich he made in the finale for his pilot - it's online, and I'm going to try to do it very soon.

Posted by mindy23 on 08-30-11 at 11:45 AM
I made the 2nd sandwich, the pannini thing, for my husband, because I happened to have some leftover figs. It was FAB!! I personally, don't care for mortedello, so I'm using chicken/turkey meat, instead. But hubby loved it, we love Jeff, and I will be DVR'ing every show he does!! Take note, Food Network-you have a WINNER!!!

"And now"
Posted by Molaholic on 09-02-11 at 06:46 PM
I'm having gyro cravings...

"RE: And now"
Posted by JessicaRN on 09-02-11 at 11:08 PM
I just finished the book they just put out, Food Network Star: The Official Insider's Guide. It was fun to look back over the seasons. It seems like the talent has gotten so much better as the years have gone on. Jeff's season was just mentioned.

There are lots of recipes in the book, but most of them are very too complex for me. I prefer recipes with just a handful of ingredients, so Jeff's sandwich show is interesting.

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 11:44 AM
Sounds tasty.