URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 219
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I Figured Out My Problem With Clay...."

Posted by ejm92 on 05-20-03 at 09:17 PM
Just thinking over things.....I think I figured out why I haven't been thrilled with Clay recently. It's because of the millions of Clay fans out there, it's not Clay. I liked Clay from the get-go....the casting call shows and everything. Through the early rounds and everything - as soon as he won that wild card, his popularity sky-rocketed, and people wouldn't shut up about him! The same thing happened with Kelly Clarkson; by the end of the season I was feeling so-so about her because of all the fan-fare.

I can even relate this to other things. Elisabeth Filarski had a cult following, I liked her until the fans got too annoying. Then there is Dale Earnhardt Jr. in Nascar, lol. I hate band-wagon-jumpers!!!!!! Because a lot of the time, those of us who were originally on the bandwagon get pushed off! Hehe, there's my AI rant, and that's why I'll be happy if Clay or Ruben wins. If Clay wins, he deserved it - if Ruben wins, those evil bandwagon Clay fans got what they deserved.

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champ, Survivor 6 Anti-Bootee Chump

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I Figured Out My Problem With Clay...."
Posted by cyclehausen on 05-20-03 at 09:19 PM
So you're a compulsive anti-fad enthusiast. Don't let that diminish the importance of singing in key!

Posted by I_AM_HE on 05-20-03 at 09:31 PM
i said in my critique list much the same thing
i hate the bandwagon, and tend to pull against it. same happened with kim locke, i really liked her, and then her popularity swelled and i became more moderate, and the same has happened with clay. with ruben, it was kind of the opposite - i agreed with the hatred for the judges kissing up to him so much, but that sentiment became almost as unbearable as the judges', and so i moderated my position once again.

i still like clay better, but anti-bandwagon sentiment may have played a part in my giving ruben a slight edge on tonight alone.

Posted by Bebo on 05-20-03 at 10:54 PM
My anti-bandwagon sentiment has been what made me fall off of Ruben's support list a few weeks ago. I got so sick and tired of hearing the judges praise his performances over and over when they were all starting to sound the same.

After his wonderful initial audition, I was just expecting him to grow more as a part of the experience. I didn't understand why the judges weren't giving the others (like Kim L., Trenyce, and Clay) the credit for trying different things and trying to take their constructive criticism to heart and chose to instead reward the same old, same old.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

Posted by katem on 05-21-03 at 00:15 AM
> Hehe, there's my
>AI rant, and that's why
>I'll be happy if Clay
>or Ruben wins. If
>Clay wins, he deserved it
>- if Ruben wins, those
>evil bandwagon Clay fans got
>what they deserved.

Even though I agree with you on the bandwagon peeps, if Ruben wins, then sure all those peeps will be miserable, but Clay still loses.

I'd much rather see those evil peeps happy, but with Clay safely wearing the crown.

Just my $0.02

(c) 2002, 03 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Posted by Connie E on 05-21-03 at 08:51 AM
I also loved Clay right from the beginning, but Kim L. was my true love, so to speak.

However, I tend to see the bandwagon effect as a credit to Clay himself. While that MARVELOUS voice hasn't changed at all, Clay has taken every bit of advice he could get, and run with it. He improved the image....(boy, howdy, did he ever!).....he improved the performance style, he mixed it up and tried different things. And so, the fans came in droves. Good for him, I say...he CAUSED the bandwagon to start rolling, and pushed it faster every week.

Come, now, there's room on the wagon for all!! Everyone just take a step to the rear, now, and breathe in deeply.......

Posted by jkokoj on 05-21-03 at 09:19 AM
My hubby says Clay looks like Katherine Hepburn!LOL

Posted by managerr on 05-21-03 at 10:26 AM
I'm definitely with you in the Clay Fans are annoying category. You can't visit a message board these days without someone posting a "What do you guys think of Clay?" thread or "Clay rocks!" even though there are those threads already in existence. Bleah. But it really hasn't diminished my (moderate) enthusiasm for him.

Ruben on the other hand annoys me the same way because he is cleary the judge's pet and always overpraised, even for sub-par performances.

Then I have problems with Josh fans--mainly because they're 1. Deaf or 2. Always have lame excuses as to why we should give him another chance.

I also don't like Trenyce fans because they seem to be the most vindictive in terms of demonizing other singers, just to get paybee to advance. (And perhaps ignore her own scandalous past)