URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 2181
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Masterchef: Season #2."

Posted by Estee on 05-01-11 at 03:09 PM
The amateurs are coming.

I really hope they're actually amateurs.

The question here is 'How do we keep Second Season Syndrome from setting in?' For a large number of series, the original airing is when you have the best chance to get real people (for a television value of 'real') who are just excited by the show's prospect, want the title as much (or more!) than the exposure, and are truly in this thing because they truly believe they could be America's first Masterchef. And in the original airing? That's what we got. The arguable-most-diverse cast in genre history, a conjunction of backgrounds and cooking styles which normally require six square blocks of Manhattan to encompass, some decent team challenges, some elimination ones that needed polish, three judges who actually worked for the show -- and in the end, a winner most of us could stand. Kudos.

But now we're on Season #2.

This is where the professional chefs might turn up wearing a Kiss The Cook apron and lying about just tossing a few burgers for the guys back at the firehouse. This is when someone could throw a fit just for the sake of grabbing the three minutes of camera time it'll occupy. This is how someone might start a show-jumping career: start here, stick with Gordon for the fall, then head over to Bravo, and then they're The Next Food Network Star!

How, as a casting director, do you avoid that? And if you're a casting director, do you want to? Are you counting on getting that same wild diversity again -- or are you going to force formula down our collective throat and call it a specialty cocktail?

I wish I knew what was coming. All I've got is this: when I saw the first preview commercial hit, I was glad. For a few seconds, it almost approached excitement. Happy for the renewal, sure -- but also truly looking forward to the thing, more than I've looked forward to Survivor or Big Brother for several seasons now, by several orders of magnitude. I don't always want to watch a train wreck. I want to be enchanted every now and again, to stare at a creation like Mike's Ssam Duck and wish I could taste the screen.

But it's the second season...

I'm nervous.

Worst-case scenario: Lacey, Russell, Sabrina. In wigs.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Masterchef: Season #2."
Posted by weltek on 05-04-11 at 01:03 PM
Ditto. Is it just me or is there very little publicity around this? I'm not sure it's a show for more than a few seasons. It lacks drama. Kind of like America's Next Great Restaurant. It gets a bit monotonous week in and out.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Estee on 05-05-11 at 09:22 AM
The publicity should step up as AI draws to a merciful close: this is probably one of the designated timeslot replacements. As for longevity -- only one way to find out.

Posted by Tummy on 05-12-11 at 03:14 PM
I'm looking forward to Season 2 and am also hoping they find home cooks for this season.

Whitney's cookbook comes out in July.

Floating my cares away with Agman - 2011

Posted by Estee on 05-12-11 at 04:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-11 AT 04:31 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-12-11 AT 04:27 PM (EST)

Ye gawds, that took a TV forever. I was expecting it to come out by Christmas at the latest.

ETA the Amazon listing for anyone interested in preordering: http://tinyurl.com/whitneycb And there's this bit from the cover blurb: 'Whitney and her mother recently opened a small café in their hometown of Poplarville, Mississippi.' So winning MasterChef may not get you a three-city chain for a duration of twenty minutes, but it looks like it at least gave her a chance to keep chasing the dream.

Of course, this means she's now a professional chef. So much for All-Stars.

Posted by Tummy on 05-13-11 at 03:58 PM
She did finish college also, maybe that was part of the hold up.

"Premieres tonight."
Posted by Estee on 06-06-11 at 12:38 PM
I can't tell if this feeling is anticipation or nausea.

"Episode #1: Alligator Al and The Home Cooking From Glasgow Hell."
Posted by Estee on 06-07-11 at 01:47 PM
No, Scottish cooking was actually created for the joy of watching other people's faces when you tell people just what they're about to eat. Or, worst-case, what they just ate. Gordon's unholy glee at watching Joe's face wasn't exactly repressed, was it? Haggis can be an interesting dish in the right culinary hands -- but the knowledge of what your tongue is about to face tends to put a damper on the proceedings, or at least place a line at the nearest bathroom. Good thing Gordon and Graham stood ready to support her: she wasn't getting Joe's vote if she paid for the stomach pump.

Al... what is it with heavy equipment operators and cooking? You're slaving over a hot engine all day and eventually, you start to think about productive things to do with the heat? Possum's where we draw the line, but alligator's where we do the best work. For an Idol audition, he'd be a target and no amount of singing talent could get him past Hollywood, but this is MasterChef and if you can really cook, no one's going to care about the tattoos, the beard, the outfit, or anything but what you just offered them for consumption. And we know it was good because after he left, he got the supreme (personally unseen) compliment from the panel -- they went back to finish the plate.

And yet, given the nature of the show's editing, we can't count on either of those two being around for a while. The preview cell gave us some of the team players -- but the principle stays the same as last season: make one major mistake and you're out. Unless that mistake happens to be pouring perfume on your food. And even then, watch it.

Notes:

This bears repeating: the editing may love background tales of woe, but all the panel cares about is what they're going to wind up eating. Last season had the backstories as exactly that: background. As long as that doesn't change, we should still be on track.

While we may not wind up with the same kind of cultural & cooking diversity we had in Season #1, the applicants at least prove they weren't trying to avoid it. Count the nations represented in the holding room and you just might get up to about half a U.N. America doesn't vote on this show and no one's pushing for their White Guy With Goulash quota.

There were some more visually stunning dishes this year, but the appearance means too much in these early rounds. We can't get a sense of their flavor: we only know what the judges tell us -- which puts the color messes in a semi-ghetto. I didn't see what was so special about that final plate of seafood stew, and we never got a detailed description on why it was a potential winning combination. On camera, it just looked the way virtually every stew does: like a literal hot mess.

While Graham is a qualified judge and has every right to be on the panel, there are still days when he comes across as the Steven of the group. 'You showed up. So you must have a right to be here!' Joe and Gordon trade or share the Simon role as needed, but Graham is more of a semi-critical cheerleader.

'Truffle oil: now with 0% truffle.'

And there's the return of Caring Gordon. 'Come back next year: I promise to remember you.' And he will, he will...

But really, no pressure.

"RE: Episode #1: Alligator Al and The Home Cooking From Glasgow Hell."
Posted by Tummy on 06-07-11 at 04:20 PM
How could you post without mentioning "nekkid lady sushi"? I thought she was going to have the Big O when Gordon ate off her. Barely squeeked by with a PG-13 rating.

Loved Gordon's face when talking to the Scottish woman. Loved that the heavy equipment operator made it thru. I can't think of another show he would have made it thru on, unless it was to be mean.

Posted by Estee on 06-07-11 at 04:37 PM
How could you post without mentioning "nekkid lady sushi"?

Because during the few seconds when she spoke, she seemed to be displaying the rough IQ of a tray. I couldn't tell if she was stoned or had just been recently hit in the head by a rock. (It was also the point where I suspected the AI tactic of putting someone through auditions just for the fail. Tell me he cooked something to reach that round. And then show me the footage.) I've seen that particular style of serving done on television before -- The Surreal Life had a model acting as table -- so all this did was teach me that table skills aren't as automatic as you might think. Too mortifying to glorify.

Oh, and the professionals do it better.

Gordon's expression when dealing with his kin was easy to define. 'I hear home! I taste home! I want to go home...' His own accent has been modified through his years of travel: our amateur is closer to pure Glaswegian. Should she hang around for a while, listen for Gordon to move into linguistic synch with her. (And the subtitles will show up five seconds later.)

Posted by Tummy on 06-07-11 at 05:39 PM
There was also an episode of (maybe Castle) one of those whodoneit series where the murderess put arsenic in the nekkid sushi girls toenail polish so when the poor unsuspecting victim nibbled on toe they died. Much better done than last night.

I don't think we have to wait for Gordon to show his Scots, by the end of the segment his accent had increased alot.

"Episode #2: Not The Mama."
Posted by Estee on 06-08-11 at 09:01 AM
As far as instant skill credibility goes, you can't ask for much more in the world of cooking than 'Could not get Gordon Ramsey to stop eating my food.' Okay, so there may have been some triple-pandering there -- Gordon for a UK meal, Joe on the Italian styling, and Graham just because it's good food -- but you couldn't argue with the result. For Gordon, you literally couldn't argue with it, because he would cover his ears to avoid hearing you long enough to get another bite in. And when you consider just how much they all have to eat during a standard audition day...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Barbecue chicken sushi?

One standdown from the failed auditions: the white chocolate brownies. I have never met a white chocolate brownie that wasn't made from pure 100% epic fail. Anyone who could successfully pull them off should earn an auto-pass to the top ten. That contestant didn't. No surprise.

I'm starting to think they're unbakeable.

A couple of last night's apron handouts felt like a tribute to 'But you failed in such an interesting way.' Cannon fodder or the panel deciding it takes a talented cook to get things that wrong? Leaving out the sauce = forgetting lyrics? Only Joe's expressionless face knows for sure.

No mother-son battles? Such a pity. But think of the TAR potential!

As one of the few who watched any part of Marcel's Quantum Kitchen, I'm semi-thrilled to be getting a science chef just for the chance of his really bringing something new to the table. He's just got one problem: molecular gastronomy is not the province of the typical well-stocked kitchen -- not even one that's up to the panel's standards. He can't improvise equipment in one hour and liquid nitrogen will not be found in the pantry. This forces him back to nearly the same techniques everyone else will be using -- and there goes his edge.

The ratings are apparently down by about a third from last year. Worry.

"RE: Episode #2: Not The Mama."
Posted by weltek on 06-08-11 at 10:56 AM
Mr. Homemade everything was very cool with his chorizo dish. Bonus points for the celebratory leap.

I'm hoping to be more drawn in when we get to the actual competition next week. I'm not much of an "audition" fan.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Episode #2: Not The Mama."
Posted by Estee on 06-08-11 at 12:18 PM
Going all-homemade on that dish may have required some serious time management. As both cooks and dedicated Race watchers know, a lot can go wrong just in trying to get a proper sausage ground up. Admittedly, he effectively had months to plan out his attack, but just pulling off the execution means a lot here.

Posted by Loree on 06-11-11 at 06:51 PM
I finally watched the first 2 episodes. Graham in the middle is the Paula of the group and is more likely to like everything and give everyone a chance.

I hate when the cooks cry or plead. And the phrase that they really want this more than anyone. I think all 100 of them feel that way. I personally wish that the judges would have to taste all the meals without knowing who cooked what. Just number all the dishes and then have the judges announce which dishes they are putting through and which ones they aren't. Alot of times the personality, looks, or backstory get people put through that don't deserve it. I want blind choices.

Posted by jbug on 06-11-11 at 08:57 PM
I agree Loree;

On To Chef Masters sometimes the quickfire is judged blind. But they reveal who made what before they announce the winner.

Only Next Food Network Star needs to show the contestant with the food.

"NBC thanks you."
Posted by Estee on 06-11-11 at 09:06 PM
I want blind choices.

Coming this fall: The Tongue.

(You will not be paid for this.)

"Episode #3: final auditions."
Posted by Estee on 06-14-11 at 07:21 AM
Stuffed mussels? How do you get them closed again?

It's official: Joe is the primary svck-up target. He's Italian and he owns Italian restaurants, therefore we will approach him with so many Italian dishes that he'll complete the image by giving nearly all of you the boot. Because there's a minor flaw in this strategy: you're trying to svck up to Joe. This may work out for someone. Someday. It didn't work out yesterday, but there's always tomorrow -- wait, auditions are over. Well, maybe next year.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweet meatballs.

*friskies*
But was he really into pumpkins as an active ingredient or just a really dedicated Volunteers fan? Only his NCAA investigation knows for sure!

On the one hand, your cooking has to be pretty good if the dish still works after you've left your signature ingredient garnish out. On the other, anyone who can be shaken out of the recipe steps that quickly is going to be in real trouble once the pressure cooker gets dialed up past '1'. Either that one finds his center pretty soon or that cap is finding its way to Food Network. Possibly both.
'Neural engineer'? Imagine what her student loan debts look like.
Graham was trying to dump his inner Paula last night, wasn't he? 'I'll just disagree with as much as I can get away with. I don't want anyone accusing me of being on comfort food.'
Stay tuned. Coming up tonight, Death By Apples.

"RE: Episode #3: final auditions."
Posted by Loree on 06-14-11 at 03:04 PM
I think Joe and Graham got their scripts mixed up. They changed places lastnight. Joe was saying "yes" more often than any of them. Graham decided to be the one to turn people down. Gordon was just being Gordon.

Glad the audition process is over.

"RE: Episode #3: final auditions."
Posted by Estee on 06-14-11 at 05:10 PM
Word Of TV Listings has us going from 38 to 18 tonight. FOX hasn't seen that kind of green apple carnage since Forever Eden.

Posted by jbug on 06-14-11 at 10:33 PM
I want to know what they did with all the sliced apples?
Please tell me at least a food kitchen got them before they turned dark.

& speaking of dark, why did all the slices still look fresh after they had been cutting 2 hrs?
I have to put mine in water w/ a bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning till I get them in the pie.

"Episode #4."
Posted by Estee on 06-15-11 at 07:40 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-15-11 AT 07:45 AM (EST)

Would it be possible to conduct a kitchen exorcism and see if we can get Sharone's abandoned ego out of Max before the kid's head starts spinning?

And for those looking for editing clues, the first time we heard the series' theme music all season was when Alejandra's group went to the safe platform.

"RE: Episode #4."
Posted by Tummy on 06-15-11 at 11:40 AM
Agree about Max.

Was sad to see alligator man leave.

Still don't have names down.

Whitney was an early favorite of mine last year, I don't have a favorite yet this year.

The guy that used an oz of chicken in his dish obviously didn't listen to them saying "make the chicken the star".

Why would you make couscous if you've never made it before?

Posted by Starshine on 06-15-11 at 05:00 PM
Didn't understand a lot of what they cooked.

I haven't seen anyone who looks like a star yet.

I think I prefer the olde style UK selection where six (or I suppose it could be more) are given 10 ingredients (and std. store cupboard ingredients) and cook a dish in 45 minutes using as many as they want, best x go through, they then cook their own dish and x from that go into the competition proper.

By the way, chopping apples for two hours! Heck I would have been chopping them in half by that point!

Posted by weltek on 06-16-11 at 10:04 AM
I would've been throwing knives at Gordon after two hours.

I agree, the UK style sounds better. If I recall, they do this at some point during the US version, but it's not how it is every week. There's a show called "Chopped" on the Food Network that does it the way you describe, and the given ingredients are usually really odd (e.g., beef jerky, puffed cereal, celery root, striped bass, and durian). But those contestants are seasoned chefs, just there for that episode. The All-Star version was great.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by mindy23 on 06-20-11 at 09:35 AM
Didn't read the other posts, but have to say, Oriental Lawyer Lady who quit her job, 'just because it stole my soul' NEEDS TO BE CANNED!!

She made me want to puke from the very first second I saw her. And then when she started this crying and begging carp-forget about it. Cannot stand her!!!!

I wonder if Trust Fund Kid can outdo very many, and I really like the Italian dude who is wooing them all. We'll see as things advance.

"Episode #5."
Posted by Estee on 06-21-11 at 07:49 AM
I am now waiting for either Suzy or Max to be part of the following exchange.

'Why did you serve wine with this dish?'

'Because at the start of the hour, it was water.'

"RE: Episode #5."
Posted by Starshine on 06-21-11 at 09:33 AM

I hope that they give them some sort of training in the off hours from the competition, because at the moment, let's face it most of them are just extras.

Suzy and Max seem over arrogant, I'm not sure I would want either in my kitchen.

I like Christine, but she overcooked a pork chop, in any decent competition she should have gone home.

I could let Erryn off for trying a Carpaccio although I would have expected him to know that it was Italian, however they said that it was a bad carpaccio.

Posted by Estee on 06-21-11 at 11:31 AM
I think Erryn mainly escaped because the panel didn't want to eliminate three people in the first episode. Compared to a tart with no pastry and 'potatoes, flour, who can tell the difference?', he might have had the lesser of the sins -- but not by much. (Would he have gotten away if he'd gone for nothing but seasoned french fries? Only the palates know for sure.) And yes, there's a lot of people we have yet to meet. Too much of the focus has been on early conflict.

But weren't you really hoping the group would tackle British cuisine? If only because it would mark the only time this decade when someone would seriously try to put 'British' and 'cuisine' in the same concept?

Posted by Starshine on 06-21-11 at 11:58 AM
I think the soup may have saved him.

British cuisine could mean anything these days, Gordo was pushing for pre-war comfort food, I think it would have been interesting no-one could have cooked a suet pudding in time so we are looking at trifle, cottage pie and shepherds pie. I think at least one of them might have used pastry!

The last year I can find figures for 2005! Britain had the 3rd highest number of Michelin stars, modern British Cuisine is doing very well!

Posted by Tummy on 06-21-11 at 12:26 PM
I was surprised no one went for a tartare. I personally would have had a horrible time with lastnight's challenge.

But the puff whatever - that kind of looked like a popover with the egg in it, looked really good. I think I might have gone with a popover stuffed with some shallots, garlic, bacon and brie or salers cheese. Topped with a poached egg. The cheese would make it French, right?

Posted by Starshine on 06-21-11 at 03:00 PM
I've only had gougeres stuffed with chicken liver, however that egg looked heavenly, I like your idea of cheese and bacon though.

Tartare is very easy, but serve it with a light salad and some crisp hot french fries and it is a meal fit for a King. The only problem is that the judges might have a down on raw egg.

"Episode #6"
Posted by Estee on 06-22-11 at 05:40 AM
Y'know, somehow, I was expecting the LA Times cafeteria to look a lot -- well -- more appetizing. You know, like someone might actually want to prepare and consume a meal somewhere within five miles of the facility. So figure.

Not exactly the only mystery of the evening, though. Some of what went onto the (dirty) trays was Mystery Meat. The automatic assumption that Guiseppe would have pizza skills was mysteriously biased. (Or was it?) And Max's inability to run a kitchen? Give up on that one: he hasn't found a clue yet.

BTW, did anyone else think the team captains would have Immunity going into this challenge? Monday's phrasing made it sound as if they were protected -- but the pressure test went the other way.

"RE: Episode #6"
Posted by Starshine on 06-22-11 at 09:43 AM
Wow! I'm glad that my cafeteria is a little more adventurous than burgers and lasagne!

Seemed obvious Tony was going home, really hoping that Max and Suzi leave us soon.

Just checked what Gordo said in the last episode you are seriously safe from elimination... but there are 3 of you who are not I heard it the same as you, that the two team captains were safe in the next episode, but it could well have meant that they were safe for that episode.

Posted by Tummy on 06-22-11 at 01:35 PM
I took it to mean they were safe also.

Guiseppe's pizza looked wonderful.

The lasagne looked horrid, and once again I will honor a time honored tradition and ask - why would you make something you'd never made before during a competition? Did the meat even have a sauce on it? And she has a very high opinion of herself.

Max - I can't imagine him ever wanting to be a chef. Just the owner of some restaurants with some fabulous chefs. Is it bad that I'm anticipating a trantrum when he finally goofs?

I still don't have a favorite. But I am enjoying Pumpkin Guy's facial expressions and enthusiasm.

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 06-22-11 at 02:21 PM
Im really enjoying this show. I didnt see season 1.

Despite my normal loathing of anyone with Teen at the end of their age, I really like Max. He is very young but does well under pressure AND he can cook. He has more skills then many others who have YEARS of life experience over him. Im 40 and I couldn't run a kitchen. I have to give him credit where credit is due. He consistently has good dishes. If I were competing against him Id be very annoyed that I was getting shown up by someone more then half my age but as a TV viewer Im rooting for him!

Suzi on the other hand can go any time. Don't care for her at all!

Posted by Tummy on 06-22-11 at 05:28 PM
He's 18 and can't run a kitchen. If you're comparing yourself to him and he hears about it...well, let's just say you need to be prepared for Daddy's lawyers to send you a cease and desist letter as I'm sure everyone will agree your level of arrogance doesn't stand a chance against his.

Posted by foonermints on 06-22-11 at 10:23 PM
You sure are hard on people you don't know at all.

Hah! A Tummy on a food show!
"How's this for an edit?"
Posted by cahaya on 06-23-11 at 11:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-24-11 AT 10:18 AM (EST)

Opening scene, episode 5:

Lot of twins running around out there.

"In The Pot"
Posted by foonermints on 06-24-11 at 11:18 PM
All lobsters start to look the same.

"Episode #7"
Posted by Estee on 06-28-11 at 06:38 AM
There are people in the world who not only take great delight in consuming their own scabs, but who look forward to getting sunburns just so they can wait for their skin to peel, remove it in the largest patches they can manage, and eat them.

I'm bringing this up just to point out that Max's crepes do have a receptive audience.

"RE: Episode #7"
Posted by Starshine on 06-28-11 at 06:47 AM
But even though Gordo had forced him to try some he still couldn't understand why he was in danger. TBH I think if it hadn't been for the schedule they would have sent at least four of them home.

Coffee sludge? Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

What did Ben and Giuseppe cook?

Over here we call them lamb chops, I think I like lamb lollipops better.

Posted by Estee on 06-28-11 at 10:18 AM
What did Ben and Giuseppe cook?

Middle-of-the-road invisible with acceptable on the side. Not interesting enough to either spectrum end for camera time.

Having gelled coffee look like industrial sewage is slightly unfortunately. Getting it to taste that way takes a pro. I was sorry to lose Alvin (and yes, would have preferred Max), but let's be fair: that was a disaster. Then again, it's not as if the panel didn't have their choice of hideous...

As for the single elimination last night -- that was the schedule in action. They couldn't do two (or any even number) because it would offset the teams on tonight's challenge. It was one or three, and the episode count dictated one.

Sacrificial lamb?

Posted by tjdmlhw on 06-28-11 at 09:54 AM
I was so hoping that it would be Max that went home last night. His twisted little smile when the other contestants are being criticised drives me crazy. I wonder how many of the people would have been crying if it had been Max that was sent home.

Posted by Estee on 06-28-11 at 10:20 AM
Max's station was chosen just so the camera could capture his reactions without having to work for it.

And of course people would have been crying. Tears of joy count.

Posted by jbug on 06-28-11 at 09:56 AM
anyone know where & when they are showing repeats of the episodes? I missed a few

Posted by emydi on 06-28-11 at 10:05 AM
they show the previous tuesday shows on the next MOnday at 8 pm but Hells Kitchen might change thta on Mon 7/18

You should try Fox see if they have full eps online

"Dang."
Posted by foonermints on 06-29-11 at 00:03 AM
Just when I was starting to really like Max.

"RE: Dang."
Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 06-29-11 at 01:02 PM
I was sad to see him go.I think he exited gracefully. He acted a lot more mature then the blond chick he was up against. It should have been Esther.

"RE: Dang."
Posted by Estee on 06-29-11 at 01:39 PM
A lot of Max's problems can be put down to his being eighteen -- but for me, the saying still applies: I wish I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

His being Judd's secret high society cousin doesn't help. Scumbags.

"Episode 8"
Posted by Starshine on 06-29-11 at 04:29 AM
Well they fooled me,even though Christines' first two steaks looked better I still thought she was going home, can't lose the drama! Now if only we could lose whiny Suzy.

Why on earth would Esther risk giving up her place in the competition? Drama,drama, drama.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

"RE: Episode 8"
Posted by Estee on 06-29-11 at 07:50 AM
As much as I'd like to remember last night for the departure of the Mad Meat Monkey, what stood out the most was the repeated interference from the judges during the team challenge. They were everywhere, including where they shouldn't have been -- in the makeshift kitchens. Call that proper texture on your sausage? Did you notice your casings have split? Now that you know your results are too sweet for votes, how about an emergency counterbalance? (The non-genius of taking peppers away from onions in the first place is a separate issue.) The trio was madly fixing everything as if every motorcycle rider in California had vowed to avenge an offended taste bud by spinning out on all of their lawns. For starters. The teams got to make their own initial mistakes -- but after that, it was Obey The Fix Or Die. Subtle, really, for a Bachelorette definition of 'subtle'.

As for the pressure test -- no, I don't like having an HK format here. This should be a meritocracy: allowing anyone the chance to eventually put up rivals can backfire, and letting Esther off the hook for her total lack of leadership was just wrong. Admittedly, Gordon will push the override button if he senses gameplay and since the panel isn't looking for a head chef, leadership isn't as much of a need as it is for other shows -- but I still feel like Esther's total uselessness should have forced her to cook something. Roasting her resume' over an open flame would have helped.

And I still haven't seen what well-done is supposed to look like. (I never order it. I prefer medium rare. And locally, all the chefs seem to think 'well-done' equals 'grey'.)

Posted by Starshine on 06-29-11 at 08:12 AM
Well the two person cookoff may be a once only thing, like the ingredients test was last year. (watched it last week).

It is interesting to me that this is very much a game show, with cookery instead of questions, you say that you want the best cook to succeed, but then you limit them every week.

The British version would have had them cook their own dishes, with their choice of ingredients at least twice by now, however that version is very much aimed at people looking for a career in cookery (in the second round everyone cooks for a lunchtime pass at a restaurant, final 3 or 4 cook for a pass at a Michelin one or two star restaurant).

Posted by Loree on 06-29-11 at 08:38 AM
I was expecting Ramsay to say that the person going home was Esther! Just so he could add some drama. Then he could say something about the other 2 had cooked their way to stay but she had bailed. It did irritate me that she got off the hook like that.

Posted by mindy23 on 06-29-11 at 12:25 PM
>I was expecting Ramsay to say
>that the person going home
>was Esther! Just so
>he could add some drama.
> Then he could say
>something about the other 2
>had cooked their way to
>stay but she had bailed.
> It did irritate me
>that she got off the
>hook like that.

Totally agree! Have loathed Esther from day/minute #UNO!!!

Posted by Tummy on 06-29-11 at 02:25 PM
The judges interferred in the kitchen during the hamburger/trucker challenge in the first season so I wasn't surprised.

I also did not like that Esther got to choose two and then was safe herself. Ridiculous.

Still not sure why Max went home.

Laughed when Suzy said she didn't understand why she wasn't picked first.

And I can say from previous experience if those casings had been frozen then defrosted more than once they are a b!tch to use. And that's what it looked like.

Posted by foonermints on 06-29-11 at 09:21 PM
»Still not sure why Max went home. «

Maybe because he didn't include himself with the rest of the scumbags.

Keeper of the NoNiceGorn

Posted by jbug on 07-01-11 at 10:58 PM
I'm catching up on the eps I missed on hulu.
Has anyone else noticed how sexy Gordon looks in his black jeans & white shirt?

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-02-11 at 01:48 AM
I just now saw him on Jimmy Kimmel and he said that he hates fat chefs. Kind of makes you wonder about Graham.

"Episode 9"
Posted by Starshine on 07-06-11 at 04:29 PM
It's game time!

How many people can Christine slag off in the first five minutes of the show?

How many mentions of Whitney's cook book can you fit in in two minutes of television?

Whose voice is more whiny Whitney or Suzi?

Very difficult task though to replicate a recipe you have only tasted once and on the first attempt.

I don't know if Jennies was the worst attempt, however once she was up there against two of the favourites it seemed obvious she was going.

Enjoyable episode though I felt.

Lovely cheese Mooney

The only green tomatoes I have ever seen are unripe, I guess I may have to visit the south

"'Let's cook the raw beef!'"
Posted by Estee on 07-12-11 at 11:03 AM
Gosh, no one's ever thought of that before!

*covers eyes* There goes another batch of raw pastry. Don't make me look... oh, and the filling went bad! And the fruit shooters are the worst thing to ever come out of Gordon's kitchen? Note to self: Gordon has completely disowned the Living Damned and all of their works. Which would explain so much about the prize controversy for the upcoming season... Hi, Carson! I'd wondered what you'd been up to lately at the moment I spotted you! Shouldn't Ted be here? Maybe he's comforting Gordon in the back. Gordon's crying. No one's sure why.

The layer cake Pressure Test... it's nice to see Ben shine (and after weeks of dropping out of the edit, it's nice just to see Ben), but this is where the medium hurts the viewer again: we don't know what that tasted like: we only know that Graham was had what she was having. It's easier to pick out the bad cakes (and were there ever bad cakes to pick out), but the good ones lose something when we can't sample them ourselves. And that's true of every challenge -- but it really hit on this one.

As for Christine, I personally would have given her a free pass to the balcony before the challenge even started. 300 to 0? Take a climb and enjoy the view.

Oh, and does anyone else get the feeling that Ben would have put himself on the block if asked? He took a lot of guilt for that loss, along with pretty much all of the burden...

"Bye Bye Esther!"
Posted by foonermints on 07-13-11 at 01:09 PM
I won't have to watch your squinchy whiney face while you cook. Probably even the food was afraid.

Tribesalad© by Tribey
You still have a great career ahead of you as a prosecutor, just keep the bloodlust for all the dishes you killed. Poor profiteroles! *sob*

"RE: Bye Bye Esther!"
Posted by Estee on 07-13-11 at 06:01 PM
So much dead pastry batter.

Such an insensitive burial.

Posted by foonermints on 07-14-11 at 06:05 PM
There was something wrong with the FLOUR! IT'S BETTER OFF DEAD!
*kick*
/Esther

Posted by jbug on 07-13-11 at 10:59 PM
Wonder if Suzi means it when she said the cake test humbled her? She is so full of herself - she looked shocked to be in the bottom 3.

Ester always looked like a puppy dog that has done something wrong & is afraid of getting caught.

Christine? Gordon was being nice (or is in denial) when he said she has handled pressure so well. Come on Gordon, she has the worst temper of anyone there; curses like a sailor; blames everyone else; & when she has only herself to blame, she gets an angry tempermental attitude.
I'll be happy to see her go. Wonder if she talks & acts that way in front of her children?

Posted by Tummy on 07-15-11 at 09:28 AM
I think Christine is wiley and most of that is an act. She's probably a reality tv junkie like us and knows that if she's giving them a little drama the producers will keep her around. She's no dummy.

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-15-11 at 10:24 AM
I had the same thoughts about Christine. She acts like she is twelve. I always think people like her will watch themselves on TV and make some changes in their life, but my husband keeps reminding myself how delusional I am.

Guiseppe has messed up Italian food on more than one occasion. He must have gotten into the same flour that Ester got into (lol).

Ben's cake looked beautiful, but pumpkins were his thing. He's been waiting all of this time to be given pumpkin to use. I'm not sure it was worth crying over, but I do like him.

Initially, I liked the guy who was the team captain of the "not Ben's Team", but he must have been given a good edit, because he is a jerk now. ("If Gordon Ramsey can yell in the kitchen than so can I).

Erryn (?), the African-American guy disappears every week.

I'm glad that Suzi realized that she is now human, like the rest of them there. I don't like cakes that are tan and crusty.

"Standards deviation."
Posted by Estee on 07-19-11 at 08:35 AM
This is what happened to Jennifer last night.

Reality Show Contestant Brain: 'Immunity! I just got offered free Immunity! Give it to me! Gimmegimmegimme!'

Chef Brain: 'I get to cook with a five hundred dollar black truffle!'

The chef brain won.

Three quick notes.

1. Ben keeps fading in and out of sight. He had confessionals and demonstrated slightly more humane lobster killing, but w didn't see any of his food.

2. Erryn did what Christian is incapable of: admitted to having a concoction weaker than someone else's and took the consequences he knew were coming. Inferior cook, possibly: superior man, definitely.

3. Christian is thisclose to getting kicked off the show. And there will be a Pressure Test to see who delivers the boot.

"RE: Standards deviation."
Posted by Starshine on 07-19-11 at 11:14 AM
Even though Jennifer c*cked up the dish I think choosing to cook will have impressed the judges

Christine was surprisingly quiet tonight.

I can only remember Erryn having one confessional between the carpaccio and last night, I actually thought he might go far UTR.

Nice not to have too much of Suzi.

Christian has the ego, last week he was suggesting that he was the equal of Gordo, his lobster may have been very good, however his performance whilst he was cooking it made sure the judges weren't choose to try it. In a normal reality show I would expect him to last a long time, but this show actually seems to kick the correct people out (as far as we can judge without trying the food)

Bravo Erryn!

Posted by Tummy on 07-19-11 at 12:39 PM
Am I the only one missing the 2-hour or 2 show a week schedule?

I would have chosen to cook, if only for the chance to slip the left-over bits of truffle into a pocket.

Erryn is a class act.

Posted by Starshine on 07-19-11 at 03:06 PM
I have some good (or bad depending on when you read this) news for you...

According to http://www.fox.com/masterchef/ there is an episode TUE 9/8c JUL 19 which is today as far as I know!

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-19-11 at 10:08 PM
It still bugs me that only 3 dishes get tasted.

"There were these three old ladies..."
Posted by Starshine on 07-20-11 at 04:50 AM
OK if there is anyone near New England could you slap Christian for me? His ego has gone so far out of control it isn't even funny any more.

Suzi? Turbot reeks and is disgusting? A fish that is commonly agreed as one of the best, a fish that in Roman times if caught had to be given to the Emperor on pain of death? WTF!

Eggs Benedict, one of my favourite things, can get a version of it in the UK, however it isn't the same without Canadian bacon. A very tricky task. Tbh though I was getting bored with Guiseppe and his "I only cook Italian" shtick.

Alejandra - Blows very hot and cold, won't win because she will be the worst in a pressure test at some point.

Ben - In with a shout to win, middle range at the moment, but seems to impress when he can choose what to cook.

Christine - Drinks in the kitchen so I like her, over dramatic and sadly not destined for the final, not sure why she is so overlooked when picking for competitions as she always seems to do really well.

Suzi - Has an ego to match Christians but doesn't seem to have the same contempt for the fellow competitors, she can cook and I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the final, she does appear to be our main narrator.

Christian - Despises the other contestants, his arrogance will see him out sooner rather than later.

Jenny - Yet another over egooed individual, seems to do well on the pressure tests, yet for some reason I don't see her making the top 3.

Adrian - Like Alejandra blows too hot and cold to make it to the finals

Derek - Needs to focus a little more, however he does appear to have the talent.

Tracey - Really like her, however I can't see her in the final.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Oh and if you are ever in the Hilton in London ON you will have the opportunity to try the worst Eggs Benedict I have ever had.

"RE: There were these three old ladies..."
Posted by Estee on 07-20-11 at 08:18 AM
Christian would like to get crap in his mystery box. Actual crap. Because he can cook it. And he'll make something great with it. Of course it's great! Watch: he'll eat some right in front of you! Would be have that blissful expression on his face if it wasn't perfect crap?

...there's an argument to be made for doing this just to get him praising and tasting his own dish...

I make carbinara about once a month (and never spell it right): it generally requires a very thin pasta, and that's hard to do from scratch without having the equipment handy. Note that Guiseppe received no criticism for his materials, so that wasn't the source of the loss. If only it had been. 'This is perfect -- much better than this ego-soaked fish -- but the pasta isn't fresh. Next!' But then, I don't even understand how the salad won, especially since Christian was secretly doing all the judging. And the panel work. And all three women were his mother, because it takes more than two people to make something as perfect as he.

He's going to HK next year, isn't he?

Posted by Tummy on 07-20-11 at 09:28 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-11 AT 09:40 AM (EST)

Reading your post makes me think that you think that Suzi wins as she's the only one you have making it to the finals. Well, maybe with Derek and Ben.

Speaking of Ben - I really like how he did his poached egg. Taping a little hole and then sliding it into the hot water to set the form. They were very pretty and looked nicely done. I was disappointed he didn't get high praise.

I hate when the judges give the contestants the evil eye. Especially Joe.

There's really not a Whitney this year. One that consistently does well and improves week by week. I remember Whitney only stumbling once and that was by using canned tomatoes.

I'm assuming they get a recipe to go by. Because if you hadn't ever made it how in the world would you know what to put in a hollandaise sauce.

Ben Starr's youtube tutorial on poaching eggs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIaQBa7QtRM

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-20-11 at 11:59 AM
Good to know that the videos are there. He's good on camera. (I have to admit that I lost interest 2 minutes into the 9 minute video about egg poaching.)

Posted by Tummy on 07-20-11 at 12:44 PM
I watched the whole thing and some others, but I'm a food geek. He's better and more entertaining than 1/2 the food network stars.

I'm rooting for a Ben win now. I'd buy his cookbook.

Posted by foonermints on 07-25-11 at 07:35 PM
Thanks for the link, even if you don't have a rubber ducky.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
This gives me an alternative for Sunday breakfast. I think my girlfriend hates me because her scrambled eggs are getting more dry and tasteless.

Posted by weltek on 07-21-11 at 12:15 PM
The egg technique of the hole & short boil is one I'd never heard of. I guess if I want to impress someone with perfectly shaped poached eggs, I might go to the trouble of this method. When we do Route 66, maybe we can make poached eggs and you can impress me.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 07-27-11 at 09:46 AM
I just might. Try, that is.

Posted by jbug on 07-25-11 at 10:53 AM
I don't really like runny eggs;
Even tho by Eggs Benedict standards, Alejandra's were not cooked properly, they were exactly the way I would like them.

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-25-11 at 11:36 PM
They said that Ben's were not perfect, but they looked pretty perfect to me.

I've never made Eggs Benedict, but this makes me want to try.

Anyone ever seen the Masterchef magazine?

"It's raaaaaaaaaw!"
Posted by Estee on 07-27-11 at 01:06 PM
Oh, Alejandra... *groan*

I had her as F4. I thought she was talented enough to make the run. And then she not only forgot to inspect her food, but made one of the few mistakes where the cook can be really glad they didn't taste it. Out she goes, it was justified, and Suzi can put in some extra prayer time to the deity of her choice, but -- what a horrible way to lose.

I wasn't happy about the format for the elimination challenge. Part of the attempted point may have been that a great cook can work with anything, but it still felt like throwing an MB element into a pure meritocracy: never a good idea. (And yes, I recognize that the easiest cut was written on the autopsy.) Adrian may regret it more than anyone else. It's a forgiving group in a lot of ways and Christian's ego doesn't recognize challenges to supremacy, but there's a few bruised feelings in that room.

Not as if that could come back to haunt him -- right?

No shucking gloves?

"RE: It's raaaaaaaaaw!"
Posted by Starshine on 07-27-11 at 03:12 PM
Easiest cut is in the eye of the cook, Suzi kept whining about having to use belly of pork, as that is the cut that I use 90% of the time I would have found that relatively easy (braise in dark soy with tons of 5 spice powder, serve with rice and wilted lettuce/bok choy, or a pork and ginger soup). Give me ribs or mince and I may have had problems.

A little clove goes a very long way.

Alejandra has to have noticed that her pork wasn't cooked when she was strategically putting the sauce over the raw area. Sorry but fry it or cut off the top and bottom and serve them, don't try to give the judges food poisoning.

Yay for Gordo My name's Gordon, **** sir. Well said that pleb.

Posted by Estee on 07-27-11 at 03:38 PM
Easiest cut is in the eye of the cook

*sighs* I know. I'd love to know which professional @#$% made the mistake of telling the world what to do with lamb shank. (The price just about tripled overnight.) Would 'most flexible' work better?

Pork belly is very rare around here. I have to hit a good Asian grocery just to have any shot at the cut. Cheeks -- I don't think I've ever seen cheeks, but that may be a case where I just didn't want to look. But ribs are standard in this area -- not Food Of The Early Death Gawds as they are in the south, but they'll always be around.

As for Alejandra -- I guess I want to believe she was in a hurry and didn't really notice the state of her dish. It's better than believing someone would voluntarily and knowingly serve raw pork. 'If they don't die, I win!'

Posted by Starshine on 07-27-11 at 04:03 PM
Funny isn't it, you can get Belly of Pork in any butcher or supermarket here (although some are now calling it "streaky rashers") however ribs have only been generally available for a couple of years.

Cheeks, no they are not commonly available, although for about a month our "bottom of the middle of the range" supermarket did have a braised ox cheek ready meal, however I guess there wasn't the demand for it.

Posted by Estee on 07-27-11 at 04:41 PM
"streaky rashers"

Why?

Posted by Starshine on 07-27-11 at 05:03 PM
People seem to have become very squeamish, and it is a lot easier to imagine where belly comes from than rashers. Most supermarkets don't even sell offal any more, and butchers don't tend to have maps of the cuts any more

Posted by jbug on 07-27-11 at 10:21 PM
Ben has the best personality & attitude. He didn't get the supposedly easy cut, but he worked with it & didn't blame Adrian. Derek too.
Suzi & Christian spent too much time complaining.
SOMEONE had to get those cuts....
would it have been more fair to give it to cooks who he thought were less able to make a good plate with them?
They should both have taken it as a compliment - that they were considered the biggest threats.

These kind of advantages put the contestants in bad positions; someone is going to be upset about the choices.
Suzi & Christian would have made the same decisions had they been the one to win the box challenge.
Man up!

Posted by Estee on 07-28-11 at 12:24 PM
My concern for Ben's chances: we see more of his confessionals than his food. He's being painted as a Character Of The Game: could go a long way, but not into the winner's circle.

The only 'fair' system might have been to let Adrian take his favorite cut, then assign the others by random draw -- or give all non-winners the same one. Let them all cook cheek!

And if Suzi had won, she would have tried to make them cook hooves.

Posted by Starshine on 07-28-11 at 02:01 PM
I'm getting a Tracy winning vibe, she is never shown being catty and her food never seems to be criticised.

Posted by jbug on 07-28-11 at 03:14 PM
And a lot of times we don't even see them tasting her food.
It just occurred to me that we don't see their reaction to every dish made.
Or if they did show it, I missed it.

"RE: I doubt he will win, but my favorite person, by far, is"
Posted by mindy23 on 07-31-11 at 11:30 AM
BEN!!!!! Such a nice guy!

Posted by Estee on 08-02-11 at 07:13 AM
...this is starting to feel like getting rid of Benji. if Benji could actually steer a canoe. And served himself a nice drink of gasoline. With garnish.

"Ep 14: Why do I bother?"
Posted by Starshine on 08-02-11 at 10:45 AM
Well that was a complete waste of time.

Although Gordon pontificating on how Children prefer healthy food amused me.

As Tracy said there are probably two people going tonight, if they both go from last nights winning team I will be seriously hacked off with this programme.

Lovely cheese Mooney

"RE: Ep 14: Why do I bother?"
Posted by Estee on 08-02-11 at 12:05 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Christian got away without pre-cooking his main ingredient. The heat from his ego boils anything in the vicinity?

"RE: Ep 14: Why do I bother?"
Posted by Starshine on 08-02-11 at 02:30 PM
I assumed that he mixed the butter and flour cold and then cooked them with the milk (which seems odd) however we are assured that his soufflé was good, and it had definitely risen, maybe a bit of misdirection.

"Can you spot the Final Two?"
Posted by Estee on 08-03-11 at 06:43 AM
Hint: they're the ones with their hands wrapped around each other's throats.

(Christian: "It's not a great strangling. Stronger people have tried to kill me.")

"ep 16: No seriously, why do I bother?"
Posted by Starshine on 08-09-11 at 03:34 AM
So only one likeable person left, what appeared to be some dodgy decision making. When Ben goes tomorrow (guess not spoiler) I don't think I will bother to watch the rest of the series.

Lovely cheese Mooney

"ep 17: Estee and I called it..."
Posted by Starshine on 08-10-11 at 02:23 AM
1) If there isn't lamb in it then it is a Cottage Pie

2) We do not call it Worcestershire Sauce, we call it Worcester (Wooster) Sauce.

3) The man who put the "F" in Food, lol!

4) Don't try to psych us that you are going to send two people home when you have already told Suzi that she is in the last four.

5) Told ya! No point in watching any more. Estee called the finalists, and I don't think the cooking matters any more.

"RE: ep 17: Estee and I called it..."
Posted by Estee on 08-10-11 at 07:08 AM
Gosh, you're all so sensitive.

Even though I knew it was coming, that was still the most painful elimination I've watched this year -- actually, knowing it was coming made it worse. I wanted to root for Ben, it would have been fun to have him in the finals, he's the only one whose cookbook I'd really want to see -- but he was going out. No U-turns, no last-minute saves, no hope. Having him win the Mystery Box was just a last hurrah, or at least the final beam of false hope through lightning-shot skies.

Wonder if the citizenry kicked him out of Texas.

I can keep watching from here. I'm just dreading a Christian/Suzi finale. There would be blood. And none of it would be theirs.

"RE: ep 17: Estee and I called it..."
Posted by frankz on 08-10-11 at 04:19 PM
We welcomed him back with open arms. Well at least I did.

"You watch because..."
Posted by weltek on 08-10-11 at 12:26 PM
Seeing Ben hug the judges and get a smooch from Gordon Ramsay was awesome!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: You watch because..."
Posted by Estee on 08-10-11 at 02:36 PM
My favorite sideline comment on Ben: 'If I was a gay male, I'd totally go for that.'

Posted by Loree on 08-11-11 at 00:42 AM
Tracy's remark about Christian in her last challenge...

I love Christian. It was hard not to pick him because I knew he would be hurt. He’s actually a really great guy. He reminds me a lot of Gordon Ramsay. Off set he’s super nice, but in the kitchen he’s really intense.

"Y'know all that lightning we've been having?"
Posted by Estee on 08-16-11 at 07:12 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-16-11 AT 07:15 AM (EST)

Remember a certain line from last night? The one about having no ego?

Yeah. Someone's got lousy aim.

I was hoping for a cookoff against the other winners, not judge cameos.

"final 4 ep"
Posted by jbug on 08-16-11 at 10:40 PM
When Christian & Suzy ended up in the pressure test, I couldn't decide which i wanted to go & which I wanted to stay. LOL
both are too full of themselves.

Haven't watched finale yet.
will be okay w/ any winner but Christian.

"Next season's drinking game."
Posted by Estee on 08-17-11 at 07:32 AM
Every time Gordon calls something 'the most amazing', take a shot.

You'll never know how any episode ends, but by the second commercial break, you won't care.

"RE: Next season's drinking game."
Posted by krismiss2us on 08-18-11 at 12:50 PM
Add in "beautiful" and "stunning" and one could die of alcohol poisoning!

Thanks Tribe!

Posted by foonermint on 08-19-11 at 02:35 PM
Jennifer!

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 11:42 AM
Which one? Holliday?