URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 217
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Debra and Steve -Sad but... Huh?"

Posted by Canada Girl on 05-17-03 at 08:14 PM
I was just reading the bio for Debra, the 40's wife and mom, on a team with husband Steve. It said that:
She has struggled with depression after the recent and untimely deaths of her parents, aunts and uncles, best man and maid of honor, who "drove off the I-40 bridge to their deaths." She's afraid of "heights and dark waters,"

Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds horribly tragic and also confusing.

I'm also a bit puzzled why someone would put this in their bio.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Debra and Steve -Sad but... Huh?"
Posted by Neobie on 05-18-03 at 03:16 AM
Might be referring to this... They're originally from Oklahoma and this incident happened quite recently... But apparently Steve says "their wedding the most exciting moment of his life." So I agree... Huh?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/26/barge.bridge/

Posted by SaphireLady on 05-29-03 at 02:10 PM
I remember reading about this when It happened.

Think that this is a way for this couple to move on and enjoy life again. I would think that they would not have been let on the show if they had not passed the test. I can here the thearpist saying that this would be good for them.

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

Posted by dajaki on 05-18-03 at 10:49 AM
If this is all true, I'm a bit disturbed that Bruckheimer would put them in the race. The stress of the race and the frightening challenges she will face (has faced as taping is done) will only exacerbate her emotions. I hope we're not going to be entertained again with a complete breakdown. With Flo it was fun, with Debra not so much.

Maybe she and her husband felt that they needed to come on TAR to really experience living, in memory of those they have lost.

I really should go read their bios.

Posted by Canada Girl on 05-18-03 at 02:53 PM
I'm still sort of confused, I must admit. Did they all (six people) drive off? That article is very ambiguous.

And it does sound like if they were travelling together, it was to a family event. Was that the wedding? And if so, they've been married for eight years, so tragic as that is, it was eight years ago.

CG is very confused!

Posted by TeamJoisey on 05-21-03 at 04:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-21-03 AT 04:23 PM (EST)

More poor writing on the CBS site. I don't think the parents, aunts and uncles were involved in the bridge tragedy. The best man and maid of honor died in the accident on May 26,2002.

The local newspaper did extensive coverage, which you can find here:
http://www.swtimes.com/Includes/Insight/Archives/BridgeTragedy.html

A quick read of the victim list provides two couples that might fit the "best man/maid of honor" description. If the victims had some family connection, it would be a prominent part of the coverage.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!