URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 2132
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"HGTV's Next Food Star-2010??"

Posted by mindy23 on 06-09-10 at 07:24 PM
Anyone watching this? Anyone care? After several seasons, I don't remember seeing the last few season's winners on ANYTHING! I know Melissa was on early Sunday am's for a while, and I do see 'Big Somebody' occasionally (season before last's winner).

But, really, are they honestly going to get another Giada, Guy, or Bobby Flay? Haven't seen it in a very lonnnnnnnnnng time. And neither have they, obviously! What a waste of time and money!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: HGTV's Next Food Star-2010??"
Posted by jbug on 06-10-10 at 03:03 PM
Past Winners

Dan Smith & Steve McDonagh Party Line with The Hearty Boys -6 eps
Guy Fieri The best they've found so far!!!!
Amy Finley The Gourmet Next Door - 6 eps
Aaron McCargo, Jr. Big Daddy's House - 6 eps? or more?
Melissa d'Arabian Ten Dollar Dinners - didn't see how many eps

It may be worth it for Food Network to do this every year if it means they can find another Guy Fieri every few years! I wasn't sure I'd like him when he won; but I love his personality on Diners Drive-ins & Dives.

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

"Jbug"
Posted by mindy23 on 06-16-10 at 11:51 AM
Thanks for the stats!

Posted by riverrocker on 06-13-10 at 11:25 PM
Watched part. What a disappointing crew. There is not a single one of those I would watch. Sigh. "Chopped" is much more interesting format. They need to ditch these judges! The show would improve immediately.

"RE: riverrocker"
Posted by mindy23 on 06-14-10 at 12:15 PM
You know, I don't care much for the judges, but I hadn't really thought about the fact that they may be the ones who are making or breaking the show.

I just know, well, it's more than obvious, that whomever produces this (is this another MB?), is putting an awful lot of $$ into a sinking ship! How many years to find ONE person who actually has the personality to continue on and make people WANT to watch a show that he/she would be on?

You know, it really IS in their hands to decide, and I thought Jeff would have been a better pick last year, and the lady, can't remember her name, the year before, who was up against Aaron...I honestly don't know where they come down to the final critique, and/or how they come to a consenses on who wins.

The girl they sent home last night was NOT who I would have chosen at all! Just because she didn't have a clear vision yet. At least she had a personality! Dzindra, or whatever her weird name is, is just out there. How many times did they have to tell her to stop, slow down, do this, don't do that? How many people walked away from her food? How many people complained about how slow and dimwitted she was?

And last week, she basically got a free ride, AFTER she threw her team under the bus for picking up her slack. SHE should have been packing her knives last night! But what do I know?

Posted by tjdmlhw on 06-15-10 at 02:37 PM
I don't believe they really care if they find a new star on this show. Next Food Star 2009 was Food Networks top rated show last year, just as Design Star 2009 was HGTVs top rated show. As long as these shows continue to bring in the viewers, they really don't care who wins. If they happen to find a true star, that's icing on the cake for them.

Posted by JessicaRN on 06-15-10 at 04:09 PM
I prefer the Top Chef shows to this one, but I do think that cooking on a time limit, talking and engaging the audience would be really hard, for me anyway.

Posted by weltek on 06-17-10 at 11:03 AM
I agree. They can find talent other ways. This is about a reality show that brings in viewers. I have a few contestants that could grow on me. I thought maybe Arti would grow on me, but I'm sick of hearing "Arti Parti!"

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Don't you mean..."
Posted by udg on 06-19-10 at 09:15 PM
Ah-ti Pah-ty? Hearing her talk about "potty" on a cooking show is just not good.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"RE: Don't you mean..."
Posted by mindy23 on 06-21-10 at 10:27 AM
But, FINALLY, they got rid of the RIGHT person last night-psycho-Dzindra. Don't know what her problem was, nerves? I don't know. Almost felt sorry for her, then she'd just blow it with some other weirdness!

And her food looked horrific!! Poor singer person that was on, having to try out all those eats and personalities! Good that Guy was there to balance things out.

Posted by riverrocker on 06-23-10 at 01:52 PM
>I don't believe they really care if they find a new star on this show. Next Food Star 2009 was Food Networks top rated show
last year, just as Design Star 2009 was HGTVs top rated show. As long as these shows continue to bring in the viewers, they
really don't care who wins. If they happen to find a true star, that's icing on the cake for them.

Aha! We think you've nailed it! When both shows are viewed as pure "entertainment" with no basic realistic belief that a "star" will emerge--just a bonus for the network if that happens by accident--then watching for the "entertainment" value is like watching Survivor or Hell's Kitchen, also strictly for the "fun" of the shows.

Never "care" who "wins" and these shows become a fun thing to watch to fill up the nights of boring reruns on other networks.

"RE: Food Network's Next Food Star-2010??"
Posted by BriarRosie on 06-24-10 at 01:10 PM
I'm loving the snark factor on this show. I've been chatting online with friends when it's on just to poke fun at the crap they do.

We're not going to have any more fun coming up with new ways to use Dzintra's name. "Dzisaster" was our favorite. She's probably the weirdest contestant I've ever seen.

Of the contestants left, I really do like Aarti best, even if she wears a garden in her hair. They really need to get rid of Paul, the improv guy who isn't funny.

And I think they need to give Das and Ogre (I mean Tom) their own show. They are fun together.

I think it's kind of funny that even though Adam Gertler tied for second place on Aaron's (Big Daddy) season, he's managed to show up on a few shows. I love this guy's goofball personality. I am glad he managed to get himself hired.

"Food Network :-) "
Posted by jbug on 07-14-10 at 10:04 AM
LOL Mindy.....looking for this thread, I just realized you put it on HGTV instead of the Food Network! Better hope Bobby Flay doesn't see this! LOL - just kidding.

Anyway, I finally figured out - during the truck challenge - who Paul reminded me of...... Doug Heffernan from King of Queens. All the crazy yelling & funny made-up accents and all.
Glad he was eliminated - I didn't care for his personality at all.

At least Food Network didn't make the same mistake that Top Chef did in a team challenge and eliminate both in the bottom team. It was unfair to Arnold on Top Chef, and it would have been unfair to Herb.

I'm not liking Serena - whatever - the Italian girl - too frantic, talks too fast. I don't like Arti's accent - too heavy & it sounds fake (just my opinion). It would take some time for me to get used to it if she had a show.

Tom really stepped up to the plate this week. He might actually be fun to watch on a show.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"RE: Food Network :-) OOPS!!!"
Posted by mindy23 on 07-15-10 at 02:47 PM
>LOL Mindy.....looking for this thread, I
>just realized you put it
>on HGTV instead of the
>Food Network! Better hope
>Bobby Flay doesn't see this!
>LOL - just kidding.
>
>
>Guess I won't get asked to come to any of their 'Arti-Parti's', eh?? LOL!

Posted by jbug on 07-15-10 at 03:36 PM
You'll have to throw your own potty

uh, that doesn't sound right LOL

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-16-10 at 09:16 AM
I believe Potty Throwing is an event at the Redneck Games.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by jbug on 07-16-10 at 10:54 AM
That's cow chip throwing.

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info

"RE: Food Network :-) "
Posted by weltek on 07-16-10 at 10:46 AM
I agree that Tom is becoming the one to beat. After so many boring winners over the last few seasons, we need someone that is a true PERSONALITY. There are very few contestants that could become big enough to be a major Food Network name like Guy. While I don't feel this is THE way Food Network recruits talent, I think the Next Food Network Star may be cancelled if they don't find some big personalities soon.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Food Network :-) "
Posted by toad8098 on 07-19-10 at 11:17 PM
my pick is Tom, also.

"10/25/10 ep."
Posted by weltek on 07-26-10 at 09:34 AM
I thought Fruit Loops would be the hardest product, with Crispix and Corn Flakes being the easiest. GENIUS to use the Froot Loops as a french toast crust. I be kids would love that. One of you with kids needs to try it and let us know.

Lots of disappointments in performance this week. I was almost embarassed for them at the Supper Club challenge.

Please don't let Arrti continue to do well. I couldn't stand to watch her, unlike the Supper Club guests. In her defense, she was less annoying than usual in front of them and her dish sounded great.

Thank cod Serena is gone. I couldn't stand her one more moment. With any of the remaining contestants (minus Arrti), I'd probably watch their shows for at least a few episodes. I hope Bob picks up the pieces next week. I really enjoyed him before, but yeah, he was sloppy this week. It was almost like week one again with him.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: 10/25/10 ep."
Posted by jbug on 07-27-10 at 09:24 AM
Yea Sarina is gone! I couldn't take much more of her rapid talk - & her accent is way too heavy.
Not crazy about Arti's accent either.
I think the accents just bother me when I'm trying to understand something like a cooking demo or whatever; on regular fiction tv, I like accents

I would watch Tom or Herb.

Bob?

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

"7/25/10 ep."
Posted by udg on 07-27-10 at 04:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-27-10 AT 04:35 PM (EST)

I like Aarti, but "Aarti Party" is still nails on a chalkboard to me. Still, for ethnic cuisine, I'd watch her. I like her personality, and she does offer something unique to the network.

I wouldn't be upset of Herb or Brad won, but I think Herb has more to offer. I don't think FN has a healthy cuisine show right now, but they do have Real Experts on.

Aria would have to have an amazing premise for me to watch. Same for Tom. Neither appeals to me as a host/person, and neither has presented anything food-wise that has me intrigued.

Shows I'd like to see:
From garden to plate, literally (show me how to grow it, harvest it, and serve it!)
Healthy food on a budget (tell me there's not a demand right now)
Family food (think Pioneer Woman Cooks; this is what I was expecting from Melissa DiWhatever last season, and I was disappointed)

Right now, I watch Good Eats and food competition shows. Oh, and I've been recording Mexican Made Easy and watching it if the title grabs me. That's it.

ETA: PW link, in case anyone is unfamiliar with her blog.

"RE: 7/25/10 ep."
Posted by weltek on 07-28-10 at 10:54 AM
I've been thinking about what Aria's show pitch should be, and I think it should be a "garden to plate" or "cooking through the seasons" kind of show.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by riverrocker on 08-08-10 at 05:42 PM
Was sorry to see Brad go; would rather have cut Aria or Artee (spelling?).

Personally, I'm hoping Herb can pull it off.

Posted by riverrocker on 08-10-10 at 04:42 PM
Okay, so it's Herb, Aarte, & Tom. Would I watch any of them consistently? Probably not, but if the TV was on in the gym, I wouldn't look away if Herb or Aarte were on. Tom, on the other, hand, meh.

Will be interesting to see how their pilots go.

Posted by samboohoo on 08-16-10 at 11:20 AM
Stumbled onto this and enjoyed it. When does it start again?

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by mindy23 on 08-16-10 at 12:01 PM
I'm not sure. I watch two shows around the same time and one of them was flashing that they were taking applications in October, but I think that was for Design Star. Try going on their website-it should tell you.

Anywhoo, looks like we're going to get an "Arrti Parrti" whether we wanted one or not, huh?

Whatever. I was hoping that one of the men, mostly Tom, would win. But nothing I hope for on these shows ever jives with the judges. So, why do I continue to watch? I dunno....I could be walking the dogs and working on this amazing figure!

Posted by PagongRatEater on 08-16-10 at 12:21 PM
I liked Tom too but they have been DYING for an Indian food person to win this show and Aarti will have a great show. It fits a niche that they just don't have and is a much more focused POV than Big Chef. Personally, I can see Aarti being really, really successful if she can make people comfortable with a growing but still mysterious cuisine.

They had really good choice available though and I wouldn't be surprised if we see the other two finalists again.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

Posted by JessicaRN on 08-16-10 at 01:27 PM
I will record Aarti's first show because I love Indian food and have never cooked it. She has a very gracious way about herself also. (Her pizza, however, looked kind of disgusting).

Herb made me a bit uncomfortable because he always looked like he was going to have some kind of an emotional breakdown. I liked Tom, but the whole "Big chef" business was already done by Guy and Aaron.

Didn't the audience used to vote on the winner of this?

Posted by samboohoo on 08-19-10 at 09:58 AM
I liked Tom too. I loved the whole "Big Chef" concept.

I have no interest in Indian food. I liked Aarti, but I have no desire to watch her show.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Flipper on 08-16-10 at 01:27 PM
Congratulations to Aarti, on a well deserved win! I enjoyed this season & especially enjoyed the finale. I was rooting for Aarti all along. Her bio shows she is a seasoned tv producer & has had Aarti Paarti as an online cooking show for a while, I felt that she was just more ready to start out of the box than Herb and Tom. I happened to catch Big Daddy Aaron's show "Big Daddy's Kitchen" (he won 2 seasons ago) yesterday & really Tom's POV was exactly the same - Big Flavor (note this is also Bobby Flay's POV - Big, Bold Flavors), Big Chef - Big Daddy - really there was no difference aside from Aaron having more charisma. Tom does seem pretty likeable, & Herb's POV does seem interesting too, I am interested in knowing how to make Puerto Rican & Cuban food with healthier ingredients. But I think the judges really picked the right winner.

I'm really excited about Aarti's show. I love the flavors of Indian food, but the heaviness of ghee disagrees with me. In the Bay Area there are 2 restaurants named "Breads of India" which feature Indian food made with olive oil rather than ghee, & I'm hoping Aarti will be showing recipes similar to theirs, made with lighter ingredients.

Aarti just has a sparkle and relatability that I haven't felt since first seeing Rachel Ray. She will bring a great ethnic POV which just is not on the Food Network now. I'm all set to Season Pass her show & can't wait.

Flipper

Posted by mindy23 on 08-16-10 at 03:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-16-10 AT 03:56 PM (EST)

I'll definitely watch at least her first show. I agree that it's time to have a different POV, and Indian cuisine is something I have NEVER even attempted to tackle. Although I know it can be incredible. I used to work for an Indian doctor, who would have his nurses over once a year for an authentic dinner.

Even though he and his wife were vegans, he would make their food with some meats for us to enjoy, and I have to say-it was AMAZING!! One of the highlights of my years in the nursing field-to see them in their authentic garb, waiting on us, hand and foot, being so sweet and humble, and the food was to die for.

So, on that note, I think if Aarti could help me achieve anything close to what I tasted there, I would be a happy woman. I have never even tried-it all looked really complicated. I, like one of the women in the focus group, would just like to see her 'tone it down' just a bit.

She does seem very sweet, but at times, {though NOT like her predecessor, who was just FAKEY!) she can be a little on the ultra-sugary side. I'm sure with time, she'll learn to just be who she is. She'll be a great match with Racheal, Ina, Giada, etc. I am happy for her-would have been happy for any of them, but I just had my favorite......I think it was a really tough call for those judges this season!

ETA: Aria is the woman I meant in the parenthesis-just couldn't remember her name at the time.

"Ditto"
Posted by weltek on 08-16-10 at 04:50 PM
The judges have been falling over themselves looking for an Indian food Star, so this was no surprise. I agree that she just needs to tone it down and find a new show name. The sugary Aarti Parti just grates on my very last nerve.

Tom and Herb just really didn't stand a chance. I think they've both gotten some good exposure, though, and will be successful.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Where's the new show?"
Posted by udg on 08-22-10 at 08:17 PM
Wasn't Aarti's show supposed to premiere tonight? Tivo doesn't have it listed.

"RE: Where's the new show?"
Posted by JessicaRN on 08-22-10 at 08:42 PM
It was on Sunday morning, but I'm sure they will probably repeat it. I just saw the last few minutes, when she was tasting some kind of a frozen ice cream pop that had cardamom in it. Might go to their site and look at her recipes.

Posted by weltek on 08-23-10 at 03:42 PM
I saw parts of it. It was as expected. She was personable, but a little high on Aarti sugary sweetness. Her foods were fairly accessible. Not a must see for me, but not quite as annoying as I thought it might be. The name of the show still bugs the crap out of me. It's not about a party. Maybe if it were focused on "party foods" (apps and cocktails), it would make sense.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by JessicaRN on 08-23-10 at 05:18 PM
I went to the Food Network site and her food got high reviews so I'm going to make Sloppy Bombay Joe's tonight for dinner.

Posted by BriarRosie on 08-24-10 at 09:29 PM
I thought Tom was robbed of a show, but there was some good news. That "focus group" all loved him. I'm sure Suzy and Bob paid attention.

I took this from the LA Times blog page:

Food Network also announced that runner-up Tom Pizzica will host a new prime-time series, "Outrageous Food," premiering in November 2010. It will be a traveling food show featuring "out-of-this-world eats," according to the press release.

It sounds like FN is trying to get another Guy Fieri without the douchebaggery.

Lori