URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID46
Thread Number: 211
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Newbie Question"

Posted by FlyinBrian on 08-10-04 at 07:38 PM
I just started watching and had a question. What is the penalty for taking the money and then 6 months later saying, "Oh, we ran into each other at a party and realized we still cared about each other"? If I met someone I really liked on the show (admittedly unlikely), but chose my mystery check and had $1.00, what are they going to do? Ask for the dollar back?

I think if I sued to get out of that contract, I would probably win. “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, these two people are in love, and this giant media corporation is forcing them to be apart.” I don’t think that would be good PR for NBC.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Newbie Question"
Posted by mookiemeister on 08-11-04 at 00:49 AM
I thought about that too. Maybe they had to sign some contract saying if they win any money, they won't collude with another contestant to win the money, and then later share the winning.

Also, put yourself in the guy's shoe. If you pick the person to be the final one, but the other person instead picked money over you, would you still be interested in that person when that person dumped you over some money?

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Einstein

Posted by mmm_link on 08-11-04 at 08:33 AM
Wasn't that already answered in FLOM2?

Posted by mookiemeister on 08-16-04 at 07:36 PM
Could you tell us what the answer is? I must have missed that thread.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Einstein

Posted by mmm_link on 08-11-04 at 08:32 AM
They also get a monetary compensation for appearing on the show. Watch the credits carefully at the end. I would venture to say it is anywhere from $10,000-$25,000. They could conceivably make her pay that back with interest.

Posted by covertwo on 08-16-04 at 08:51 PM
i think they can extract a larger fine than the 1.00 or whatever the amount won. They can easily cite the integrity of the show and any future earnings thus derived.

abc network went to court for similar reasons because they felt bob guiney only went on the show to derive promotion for himself and his cd and not what the show's premise had intented. dont know the outcome of the case but if someone know the details maybe they can answer to that

"CANCELLATION"
Posted by bLkGrL323 on 09-20-04 at 11:16 PM
UMM WASNT THAT SHOW CANCELLED?

"RE: CANCELLATION"
Posted by Rockytop Chick on 09-22-04 at 05:16 PM
Umm, what show, the Bachelor??? Or FLOM?? FLOM ran it's course with 4 different seasons.

All 5 Bachelor seasons and both bachelor seasons reached their final rose endings as well. And there's a new Bachelor starting tonight. So no, whichever one you were asking about was not cancelled.

BTW, there is a key next to the "A" on most keyboards called "CapsLock." You may want to use it.

Posted by freakusmaximus on 09-26-04 at 03:57 PM
I think that any contract in which the parties agreed not to marry each other (ie; if the girl took the $ over the guy) would be contrary to public policy and also violate the First Amendment (of the U.S. Constitution) right to freedom of association. I am not sure how the network enforces the rules of not being able to see the person in tne future- maybe they just are hoping that the person who was dunped for the $ would be too pissed off to eber reconcile

Posted by HistoryDetective on 11-30-04 at 12:48 PM
Plus, would the netowrk really be keeping tabs on the personal lives of all the contestants for the next six months, year, or however long?

a sig by syren

Posted by mmm_link on 01-27-05 at 12:25 PM
I'm sure they are in hopes of a spinoff...give back the money or risk being followed around with cameras for another 8 weeks for no particular reason other than to sell it to Fox.

Posted by alima on 03-26-05 at 04:15 PM
*L* at MMmm Link... that would be a great idea!

Actually, I was on the first FLOM... they (rob and erin) had a few appearances on tv/paper, etc. together, so NBC didn't exactly mean you couldn't talk to that person after the show. NBC, though, was very clear in telling all of us that if we gave any behind-the-scenes away within the year that they practically "owned" us, they would sue US for $1 million!!! I was very paranoid...

I actually got in HUGE HUGE trouble with NBC, because in one of my first interviews with a local newspaper, (the guy interviewing me kinda tricked me)I called Rob a "Slime Ball" and basically opened up to how much I didn't like him, etc. See, this is how he did it. The newspaper guy introduced me to all these people at the company and they all asked me questions like, "what did you REALLY think of Rob?" I opened up more to them b/c I thought it was all off record.. until the article came out.

NBC banned me from doing future interviews due to this, so they had very strict rules, but I think a lot of it was just scaring us into thinking that we would owe them all this money if we screwed up in any way.

"FLOM 5?"
Posted by alima on 03-26-05 at 04:17 PM
By the way, there won't be another "For Love or Money"... they went with the 4 and now they are done with it.

"RE: FLOM 5?"
Posted by consise10 on 04-11-05 at 02:22 AM
have you auditioned for any other reality Tv shows alima?

"RE: FLOM 5?"
Posted by Agman2 on 05-12-15 at 04:06 PM
Yes, the biggest loser!

Posted by DonnaLynn on 06-28-05 at 02:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, these people don't get their milion dollars or whatever they get in the end all at one time! If you read the closing credits, it says they pay the winner off in yearly payments over several years. So if they broke the contract, they wouldn't have to keep paying and could sue for any monies already given to the person...

P.S. I loved all but the last season of this show. Wish they'd bring it back!

--Donna :~)