URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 210
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice"

Posted by Starshine on 09-24-10 at 09:45 AM
Nothing too exciting, just two very nice recipes that I enjoy

Ma Starshines baked rice

Basic recipe

1 medium onion chopped
1 leek chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
200g/7oz rice (I have only ever used Basmati)
275ml/9.25floz Chicken Stock
salt

A dish with lid that you can use on the stovetop and in the oven.

Preheat oven to 200 C.

In a stovetop and oven proof caserole dish fry onion and leek in the oil until soft, add rice and fry for a couple of minutes then add salt and stock. Put lid on, put in oven and cook for 35 minutes.

Take out of oven and remove lid. Stir. If there are grains of rice that look uncooked add a little boiling water and put the lid back on for five minutes. (generally you shouldn't need to do this).

Serve.

What I actually cook

OK I don't do it quite as above, this is a great recipe for using spare veg and leftover ham, bacon, chicken, and/or turkey. In fact part of the reason that I buy a rotisserie chicken most weeks is to put it in this. The below is only a suggestion feel free to add or remove ingredients as you wish, I would only use two meats at most.

2 medium chopped onions
2 or 3 chopped leeks
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Chopped mushrooms
1 chopped red bell pepper
Chopped Ham
Chopped Bacon
Chopped Chicken
Chopped Turkey
4 or 5 cloves
4 or 5 cardamom pods
300g rice (I have only ever used Basmati)
390ml Chicken Stock
salt

Fry the onions and leeks with the bacon, when half cooked throw in a handful of sliced mushrooms and a chopped red bell pepper, when the onion and leek are soft, stir in the rice as above and stir for a couple of minutes then throw in 4 or 5 cardamom pods and 4 or 5 cloves*, one chopped carrot, and poultry and/or ham with the stock. Then cook as above.

A wonderful thing about this recipe is how customisable it is, feel free to add or remove ingredients and let me know how it goes.

*Try to take out the cloves and cardamom pods before serving.

Eton Mess

Fresh strawberries, hulled (other summer fruits could be used, and whilst fresh is best defrosted frozen could be used). Apparently there aren't any fresh strawberries although I do have a couple of pounds in my fridge
Icing sugar
Double cream
Meringues (crushed, but not too small, say roughly 1/2 inch cubes, not something to worry about too much though)

Proportions roughly 3 cream, 3 strawberries. 1 meringue, sugar to taste not too much though.

Whip cream until floppy, stir in fruit, icing sugar to taste and meringues. Put in bowls/glasses and serve.
If you use plain yogurt then this is also good although a bit thicker. I have also stirred in some flavoured yogurt.

If you want to make a coulis then this can look good lightly stirred through and swirled on the top.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Two people IRL have told me that these recipes are a little dull, let me know if you agree and I can post a more complex one tomorrow

Table of contents
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,weltek, 09:48 AM, 09-24-10
  • Translation please,Tummy, 10:04 AM, 09-24-10
    • RE: Translation please,Starshine, 10:17 AM, 09-24-10
      • RE: Translation please,weltek, 10:20 AM, 09-24-10
        • RE: Translation please,Starshine, 10:30 AM, 09-24-10
          • RE: Translation please,weltek, 10:35 AM, 09-24-10
    • RE: Translation please,weltek, 10:18 AM, 09-24-10
      • RE: Translation please,Karchita, 11:09 AM, 09-24-10
        • RE: Translation please,Tummy, 12:32 PM, 09-24-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,frodis, 11:31 AM, 09-24-10
    • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Karchita, 04:28 PM, 09-24-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,kingfish, 11:49 AM, 09-24-10
    • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Tummy, 12:28 PM, 09-24-10
      • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,weltek, 12:31 PM, 09-24-10
      • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Karchita, 03:56 PM, 09-25-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,samboohoo, 11:52 AM, 09-24-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Karchita, 02:53 AM, 09-25-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Dakota, 05:44 PM, 09-25-10
  • Just a word of warning,Tummy, 03:12 PM, 09-26-10
    • RE: Just a word of warning,Starshine, 03:24 PM, 09-26-10
      • RE: Just a word of warning,Karchita, 06:40 PM, 09-26-10
      • RE: Just a word of warning,Tummy, 09:36 AM, 09-27-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,qwertypie, 09:29 PM, 10-21-10
    • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,qwertypie, 06:17 PM, 10-24-10
  • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,samboohoo, 09:47 AM, 10-22-10
    • RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice,Starshine, 04:30 PM, 10-25-10

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Ma Starshines baked rice"
Posted by weltek on 09-24-10 at 09:48 AM
The great thing about the rice dish is that it's easy to play around with. I'm using your recipe with chicken and bacon, me thinks.

I love that you push me to use cardamom more. It hasn't been my favorite spice in the past, but I've enjoyed the way you use it in savory dishes.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Translation please"
Posted by Tummy on 09-24-10 at 10:04 AM
Icing sugar is powdered sugar - right?
Double cream is heavy cream - right?
Meringues - these are cookies - yes? and I don't think we have any in this small town so will any cookie be a good substitute?

"RE: Translation please"
Posted by Starshine on 09-24-10 at 10:17 AM
Yes Icing sugar is powdered sugar, you can use caster sugar (superfine sugar) instead.

Double cream is heavy cream, basically you need a cream that you can whip.

No Meringues are not cookies, I don't know of any other term for them - Wiki If you need to make them then only use the crunchy bits in the mess

Posted by weltek on 09-24-10 at 10:20 AM
They sell meringues in the states in cookie form, too. It's basically the same thing as the dessert shell, in my experience.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Starshine on 09-24-10 at 10:30 AM
Meringues in cookie form, I haven't seen them, but it makes a lot of sense, very easy to use for this recipe

Posted by weltek on 09-24-10 at 10:35 AM
I blame U.S. diet fads. Everyone was eating them during the low fat diet craze before we had sugar guilt.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by weltek on 09-24-10 at 10:18 AM
I know how small town stores are, but have you looked in the bakery section of your grocery store? I'm sometimes surprised at what I dig up.

Or, you could make homemade ones. They are quite easy. Tossing a few chocolate chips in makes them more enjoyable.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 09-24-10 at 11:09 AM
Trader Joe's has great meringues. I haven't made them in ages, but I happened to have saved this recipe just the other day:

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2536/holiday-meringues

They are very easy to make. Obviously, you can skip the food coloring and you can use vanilla extract (or mint, but maybe not with strwberried) and you don't need to bother with a pastry bag. Just dollop with a spoon.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 09-24-10 at 12:32 PM
Just got back from the grocers - no meringues anywhere, I even asked and they said they had some meringue pies. *snort But there weren't any strawberries either. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and go to the farmer's market to see what kind of fruit they still have.

I'll probably attempt Karchita's recipe if there's some good fresh fruit available.

Posted by frodis on 09-24-10 at 11:31 AM
The baked rice sounds like a great recipe, especially for fall and also because it's so versatile. Can't wait to try it!

About the strawberries, they're still in the market, it's just that they're just not as tasty these days and they've usually taken a long truck ride from some far-off land.

However, I do still have a few of the last local peaches which I think would be perfect for this. The peaches alone have a hint of vanilla flavor to them already, so with the whipped cream I think they'd be decadently divine.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by Karchita on 09-24-10 at 04:28 PM
Peaches and cardomom are a divine combination. Jus' sayin'. Divine. Since you have the cardomom out already for the rice dish and everything.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by kingfish on 09-24-10 at 11:49 AM

Dull? Heck no. Simple, easy to vary as a side or an entree, reheatable (I assume), and family home food, but not dull.

Reminds me of a white rice pilaf And even the chicken and yellow rice dish that my Cuban Mom used to prepare, and that is still a staple of my table.

Posted by Tummy on 09-24-10 at 12:28 PM
And exactly why have you not joined OTCC - I'd love to see some of your Cuban influenced dishes.

Posted by weltek on 09-24-10 at 12:31 PM
Ditto!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 09-25-10 at 03:56 PM
All bubbles and no swimming. That's our Kingfish.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by samboohoo on 09-24-10 at 11:52 AM
I too will be adding veggies and chicken. Sounds good Starshine!

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Karchita on 09-25-10 at 02:53 AM
This was just what I needed tonight. I made a new recipe for Mexican corn soup yesterday which was delicious, but a colossal PITA to make. It also was a bit too rich to have as a main course. So I needed something simple to go with it tonight so we could have just a cup of the soup and I made your rice dish with a Mexican slant. I used three types of peppers (sorrento, jalapeño, and a red bell) tomatillos, a couple of roma tomatoes, onions and some chicken cutlets from the freezer that I just thawed in the microwave and chopped up and tossed in. I seasoned it with a bit of cumin and salt and pepper and stirred in some cilantro after it was baked. It turned out great.

This was a good recipe for me to try because I have never cooked rice in the oven on a regular basis and the last time I did it may have been twenty years ago or even longer. I have a rice maker and it is so easy and the rice is always so perfect. Even when I want to add things, I sauté them separately and stir them into the rice from the rice maker. Now I have an easy alternative technique. Thanks! You do Ma Starshine proud.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Dakota on 09-25-10 at 05:44 PM
You're inspiring me to put together a rice dish instead of pasta. I like recipes where I can use up excess veggies and turn it into something good. Dull? Red pepper flakes or a finely chopped seeded-jalapeno works. A clove of garlic might suit some tastes better. Teriaki sauce could work.

Agman Rocks!

"Just a word of warning"
Posted by Tummy on 09-26-10 at 03:12 PM
because there may be other (for want of a more appropriate word but keeping it pg-13) tempature challenged....

200 degrees Celsius is NOT 200 degrees Farenheit. In fact it is almost 400 degrees Farenheit. Spoken from experience - this dish will pretty much not cook at 200 degrees Farenheit.

"RE: Just a word of warning"
Posted by Starshine on 09-26-10 at 03:24 PM
Oh damn, sorry Tummy I forgot to translate that one.

Your 400 would be correct.

Posted by Karchita on 09-26-10 at 06:40 PM
I didn't bother to compute and my version cooked just fine at 350F.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 09-27-10 at 09:36 AM
No problem. I was trying to do to many things at once and just ran in and glanced, if I'd stopped to think about it I would have known better.

The rice turned out fantastic btw. I added mushrooms and red bell pepper along with the onion and leeks. A side of sauted cabbage and some kielbasa made for a nice dinner.

I'll have to make again and take pics - my camera is on loan this week.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-21-10 at 09:29 PM
This was the perfect compliment to the Weltek's orange chicken skewers.

The kids loved the rice and didn't even notice the "icky" onions and leeks. I popped the cardamon and cloves in which really gave off a great aroma when cooking. And I got to use my dutch oven

Like others have posted before, this will be an excellent way to get rid of left overs in the fridge.

I know this will quickly become a comfort food in our house hold. Thanks!

And I am actually going to try the Eton Mess tonight. For some strange reason there were strawberries in the grocery store today, so I thought I would try it. I plan to serve it with copious amounts of wine, in case the strawberries are a little dodgy.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-24-10 at 06:17 PM
Just tried the Eton Mess. The kids loved it! Sam even devoured it (using a spoon, no less) instead of smearing it all over the place.

This was quite simple, but really lovely. It will be great next summer when our raspberries come it.

Unfortunately, Mr. Qwerty didn't get it (the kids were like locusts). I think next time I'll try it with blueberries.

Posted by samboohoo on 10-22-10 at 09:47 AM
I made the rice last night. I threw my chicken in the crock pot yesterday morning with the onions, carrots and some celery. I did the rice with brocolli and cheese and then added the chicken to that. DH ate all of it.

I will try it another way next time.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Starshine on 10-25-10 at 04:30 PM
Never even thought of trying cheese, what was it like?