URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 209
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC - Watermelon/Basil Granita and Grilled Veggie Grilled Pizza"

Posted by Tummy on 08-26-10 at 05:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-26-10 AT 06:03 PM (EST)

I know I'm a day early but I'm going to be out most of the day tomorrow and hope to get this back on track.

So I'm starting with dessert -
Watermelon/Basil Granita - we've been making granita's forever. As a broke single mom - Bre and I couldn't afford to buy an icecream machine but it didn't cost much of anything to make a good granita. Recently, it may have been Rachael Rays mag but I'm not sure, I read about adding herbs to granitas and have been testing different recipes ever since, this is one of my favorite combos. Blueberry/lemon is a close second. So...

Watermelon Basil Granita

1 small watermelon
2 T fresh basil, chopped
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c water
3 T vodka - I used vanilla flavored

Cut the watermelon into small pieces, removing any rind & seeds. Add it & the basil to a blender & purée until is it almost completely smooth, you really want this as smooth as possible. You should end up with about 3 cups of purée.

In the microwave heat the water & sugar until the sugar is dissolved, making a simple syrup.

Mix the watermelon purée, simple syrup & vodka together in a container with a lid & put into the freezer. Allow to freeze to a slushy texture & then break up with a fork. I would scrap every few hours and then let go overnight. It took a little bit of scrapping the next day but well worth the effort. Makes quite a bit.

And now the grilled veggie pizzas - I usually buy my pizza dough from my favorite pizza spot Sam and Ella's - they sell me enough for 4 pizza for 2.00 but they were closed and I was pooped so decided to buy rolls instead of make my own. BIG mistake - Big! Pizza dough is so easy to make and the store bought was gross. So here is a pizza dough recipe, but buy from a grocer, restaurant or make your own grilled pizza is fantastic.

Pizza dough -

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar
Directions
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until a stiff dough has formed. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll out into a pizza crust shape.

Roll out into thin crust

Edited to add a loose shopping list
canola oil
garlic
eggplant
roma tomatoes
yellow squash
onion
spinach
basil
marinara sauce
olives
hummus
mozzarella
feta
add or subtract as you please

Toppings -
Use any sauce you want - I did two. A marinara sauce and hummus dip. Use whatever veggies you love - I've got mushrooms, eggplant, onions, tomatoes, yellow squash, red peppers and garlic. Cut them chunky and throw in a bag with some canola oil.

Grill when coals turn white. Salt lightly and put aside.

Oil both sides of pizza dough and throw on grill - don't worry, it'll look like it's oozing and will fall through. It doesn't.

Flip onto a plate and add your toppings onto the grilled side. (somehow I didn't get the picture of the mediterranean toppings - it was hummus as the sauce, eggplant, spinach, kalamata olives, tomatoes, red pepper, mozzerella and feta)
The one shown is marinara, mushrooms, fresh basil leaves, red pepper and mozzerella - and maybe a few other things.

Grill until toasty and serve.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Watermelon/Basil Granita and Grilled Veggie Grilled Pizza"
Posted by samboohoo on 08-26-10 at 09:39 PM
I am so making that pizza next week. We're going to the beach this weekend.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by qwertypie on 08-26-10 at 10:14 PM
OMG -- my mouth is watering! Hopefully the weather will cooperate -- it is supposed to get too nasty to BBQ.

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 08-28-10 at 02:52 AM

I've been thinking about looking for a good pizza crust recipe, so this looks good. I will try it out. Would it be cheating if I used a pizza pan that is especially made to be used on an outdoor grill?

I purchased this on Amazon several years ago, but still have not used it.

Agman 2008

Posted by Tummy on 08-28-10 at 09:51 PM
Go for it!

Posted by frodis on 08-28-10 at 09:24 AM
Oh Tummy, this looks delicious! I have never, ever thought about using hummus as a pizza sauce before and now I can't wait to try it.

I'll have to do it in the oven but this is definitely on the docket soon to take advantage of all of the veggies.

That last picture is almost evil it's so mouthwateringly beautiful.

For the granita - I'll probably make some with vodka and some with something else, maybe lemonade?

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by CTgirl on 08-28-10 at 11:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing about lemonade because I'm sure Tummy didn't serve vodka to Bre when she was a little girl!

Posted by Tummy on 08-28-10 at 09:50 PM
Actually I did, *grimace*, it has less alcohol in it than most cough syrups. But - I think you can eliminate the vodka and use lemon juice. You may have to rake a bit more.

Posted by qwertypie on 08-29-10 at 01:43 AM
I *heart* you!

Posted by Tummy on 08-30-10 at 11:38 AM
I *heart* you back.

Posted by Karchita on 08-30-10 at 02:26 PM
I *heart* you the mostest.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by weltek on 08-30-10 at 10:50 AM
*snort* Bedtime treat!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"*drools*"
Posted by Karchita on 08-30-10 at 01:11 AM
My mouth is watering, too, and I just ate. I will have to get Mr. Karchita to participate in this one. He may have a little difficulty with the looking like it is oozing through the grill part, but I'll work on him.

somehow I didn't get the picture of the mediterranean toppings

Maybe because you scarfed it down so quickly? Hmmm? I know that's what I would have done. It all sounds absolutely delish.

Bouquet by c2p

"Pizza!"
Posted by frodis on 08-30-10 at 10:38 AM
Just a quick check in -

We had make-your-own pizzas last night for dinner. I made your pizza dough (SO easy! SO delicious!!) and baked them in the oven.

No pictures this time, but I guarantee I'll be making that dough again. It was perfect, soft, chewey, flavorful. . . oh yum.

Thanks, Tummy!

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

"RE: Pizza!"
Posted by Tummy on 08-30-10 at 11:41 AM
I know! I could have kicked myself for flaking out and buying the nasty canned stuff when homemade is so easy.

We're having a small cook-out this coming weekend, a grill you're own pizza thing. I'm making all the dough and supplying the wine and granita and everybody else is bringing different toppings. I'm looking forward to it!

Posted by Karchita on 08-30-10 at 02:27 PM
Can I come?

*head tilt*

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 08-30-10 at 02:40 PM
Anybody who *hearts* me the mostest has a perpetual invite!

Posted by Karchita on 08-30-10 at 02:53 PM
*grabs keys to Karchitamobile*

I'm on my way.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by MKitty on 08-30-10 at 02:02 PM
This looks sooo awesome! I am totally going to make both this week! Thanks for the great recipes!!!

Summarized by the Capn!

Posted by Starshine on 08-30-10 at 02:48 PM
Mon Dieu have you seen the price of watermelons? £3.50 for a small one (about 5 dollars)! I would have to buy two to make the granita

You have reminded me to knock up an orange and campari one though.

Posted by Tummy on 08-30-10 at 04:07 PM
A small one should do you Starshine, if it's seedless. I used a Sugar Baby and after it's done I got about 8 - 10 (maybe even more) servings. Even throwing in the small amount of vodka and the sugar it's less than a buck a serving. I bet you pay more than that for a scoop of icecream.

Although I did grow my own basil, so that might put you over a buck.

Posted by Karchita on 08-31-10 at 00:35 AM
I take it all watermelons in the UK are imported?

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by weltek on 08-31-10 at 10:02 AM
Bummer-watermelons are CHEAP here right now and very tasty!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 09-20-10 at 00:11 AM
Is it polite to ask how you knock up an orange?

"Quantity?"
Posted by Karchita on 09-01-10 at 01:19 PM
The Karchitamobile engine blew up and it's in the shop, so I can't drive to Oklahoma this weekend. Sorry.

So I invited a family of four to come and make pizzas at my house. How much dough will I get from your recipe? Enough for a pizza each for four adults and two kiddies (about age 10 and 8) and some extra in case anyone wants seconds? Or should I double the dough recipe? TIA!

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Quantity?"
Posted by weltek on 09-01-10 at 01:45 PM
From previous experience and looking at Tummy's quantitites, I'd at least double it. If you are making individual pizzas, I wouldn't count on a single recipe easily making more that three individual pizzas.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 09-01-10 at 02:51 PM
*nods

I make really thin crust, and I get 2 good size pizzas from it. It depends on how thick you like your pizza crust and how big you like your pizzas. For company I'd probably even triple it - cold pizza the next day is a good thing.

Sorry to hear about the vehicular complications.

Posted by Karchita on 09-01-10 at 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the vehicular complications.

Silly Tummy. The Karchitamobile is only used for distant peep meets. It's like a souped up magic carpet with plush seats and cruise control.

Bouquet by c2p

"Next Four Up"
Posted by Tummy on 09-05-10 at 08:30 PM
Sept 10th - Weltek
Sept 24th - Starshine
Oct 8th - Karchita
Oct 22th - Slicey

"RE: Next Four Up"
Posted by Karchita on 09-06-10 at 03:29 AM
Silly Tummy.

I believe that is Boo on October 8th.

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Next Four Up"
Posted by Tummy on 09-07-10 at 11:29 AM
Dang it! I know that - bangs head against wall!

Sept 10th - Weltek
Sept 24th - Starshine
Oct 8th - KarchitaBooBooBooBooBoo
Oct 22th - Slicey

"lol"
Posted by Karchita on 09-07-10 at 01:19 PM
See why I *heart* you so muchly?

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: lol"
Posted by Tummy on 09-07-10 at 03:04 PM
Because every dodo needs someone to *heart* them?

Hey, has no one made the granita yet? *head tilt Easiest recipe ever people!

Posted by Karchita on 09-06-10 at 03:33 AM
This was a big hit last night. Everybody had fun making their own pizza and the crust was excellent. We are most definitely doing this again.

Thank you, Tummy!

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Starshine on 09-17-10 at 03:11 PM
Oh for goodness sake

When I was very young I told my Mother that I could cook anything as long as I could turn the oven on. And I stand by that if I have the equipment I think I can probably cook anything.

Except pizza dough

It just never works for me. I have just eaten a very nicely flavoured soggy pizza

Still thanks for making me try again Tummy

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by Tummy on 09-19-10 at 08:15 PM
Awww - I'm sorry Starshine. This makes me want a blow by blow on why you get soggy dough.

Grill or oven?
Baker's stone, pan or cookie sheet?
How thick?

Inquiring minds want to get to the bottom of this.

Posted by samboohoo on 09-20-10 at 06:00 PM
Done!

I did this Saturday night. I used red bell peppers, asparagus, onions, squash, and zucchini. I cut the veggies, loaded them into a bag with the canola oil and some minced garlic. As you will see, I used a basket on the grill. I think this basket is actually for cooking fish or chicken, but I used it. It was getting dark out, and this really helped.

I then did the pizza in the oven, on a stone. It was great. I wish I had cooked it a tad bit longer in the oven. It wasn't soggy, but it was soft. But it was also late, and I was hungry.

I had leftover veggies that I ate on the side, and I also had pizza to eat the next day.

Posted by Tummy on 09-21-10 at 09:36 AM
I'm going to have to do asparagus soon!

Posted by samboohoo on 09-21-10 at 09:40 AM
I love them grilled.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-24-10 at 07:09 PM
Making the granita tonight - surprisingly, they had a shipment of mini-watermelons in the grocery store that taste pretty decent. Still trying to convince Mr. Qwerty to grill the pizza, we'll probaby do that tomorrow.

Posted by foonermints on 10-24-10 at 07:16 PM
We desperately need a new grill. Any suggestions?
I am so far behind on making these recipes, I may as well kick myself.
Cowboy Stew is in the crockpot right now.

Posted by Tummy on 10-25-10 at 09:52 AM
LAST EDITED ON 10-25-10 AT 09:56 AM (EST)

Char-Griller Duo - it has gas on one side and charcoal on the other. I like the taste of a charcoal fire best but sometimes the convenience of gas is great.

And I meant to say - Yay! somebody is doing the granita.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-25-10 at 01:40 PM
What better way to celebrate the first snow fall of the season than with granita?

Mr. Qwerty and I quite liked it, it was unusual from the granitas I had before which were more tart.

A small wrinkle was the blender glass container was the latest victim of Sammo Whammo Blammo, so I had to try and use the food processor and one of those drink mixers. The basil didn't puree well and was quite noticeable in the granita. I like basil so that wasn't a problem but the DDs didn't want to try it even if I had let them.

This is definitely something I would try again, probably when the weather warms up a bit. I think I will try subbing tequila for vodka and adding some lime and ginger.

Posted by foonermints on 10-25-10 at 02:26 PM
Coconut Tequila. Yes, it exists.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-26-10 at 11:56 AM

That is just so wrong!

Posted by Tummy on 10-26-10 at 04:50 PM
But yet, oh so right.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-27-10 at 11:27 PM
What brand?

I must admit, I am not one for flavoured liquors (I do make a pretty mean ginger infused tequila). I may try it if it comes in mini size.

"Whee!!!!"
Posted by qwertypie on 10-27-10 at 11:32 PM
All caught up with OTCC! (well, sort of)

I was trying convince Mr. Qwerty to fire up the grill despite the snow and then he offered to take ALL THREE KIDS to Chuck E Cheese solo so I could have the house to myself.

So I decided to make the recipe with the broiler instead and it turned out really well. The only thing I would do differently is make the crust thinner next time.

And I didn't have grilled veggies, but put thinly sliced onions, mushrooms, spinach, mozza, feta and some salami.

I really loved the crust, it wasn't as heavy or oily as store bought. Definitely a keeper!