URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 2075
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Colony"

Posted by mrc on 08-14-09 at 11:59 AM
Anyone watching? I've watched 1.5 episodes so far, and I'm interested.

A Slice of Manga

Table of contents
  • RE: The Colony,JessicaRN, 12:12 PM, 08-14-09
    • RE: The Colony,Snidget, 12:18 PM, 08-14-09
      • RE: The Colony,mrc, 03:03 PM, 08-14-09
  • RE: The Colony,Starshine, 06:12 AM, 08-15-09
    • RE: The Colony,kidflash212, 10:18 AM, 07-10-16
  • RE: The Colony,FlowerChild, 11:59 AM, 08-17-09
    • RE: The Colony,batts, 03:50 AM, 08-20-09
      • RE: The Colony,FlowerChild, 12:33 PM, 08-20-09
    • RE: The Colony,mrc, 05:29 PM, 08-20-09
  • RE: The Colony,weltek, 12:33 PM, 08-27-09
    • RE: The Colony,tribephyl, 03:41 AM, 08-30-09
      • RE: The Colony,weltek, 12:51 PM, 08-31-09
  • RE: The Colony,Pretty_Kitty, 10:59 AM, 08-30-09
  • Anyone still watching?,udg, 10:17 PM, 09-18-09
    • RE: Anyone still watching?,weltek, 11:43 AM, 09-21-09
  • Ending,weltek, 04:34 PM, 09-25-09

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Colony"
Posted by JessicaRN on 08-14-09 at 12:12 PM
Where and what is this? I'm assuming it is not about colonies of bees or ants.

Posted by Snidget on 08-14-09 at 12:18 PM
Discovery channel
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html

I've only seen the previews they showed during Shark Week.

Posted by mrc on 08-14-09 at 03:03 PM
Thanks, Snidge.

It's basically about ten people leiving in a simulated post-apocalyptic world. They each bring some needed skills (medical, construction, security, etc.) to the group as they try to survive.

Posted by Starshine on 08-15-09 at 06:12 AM
An interesting show. Although I have a question (Haven't seen the first show which may have answered this).

How controlled is their weaponry? I am assuming that firearms are banned in "The Experiment" otherwise the gangs who have been bothering them would have been able to reduce the numbers quite a bit. I mean the flame-thrower and taser are all well and good, however they don't have a range to put off someone with a rifle or pistol.

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 10:18 AM
Starshine!

Posted by FlowerChild on 08-17-09 at 11:59 AM

I'm watching!!

I think I have seen every episode so far! I like the idea and the premise and I DO find myself looking forward to new episodes.

As a producer I would be concerned that one of the people from the 'street gangs' could get seriously hurt. I know the 'street gangs' aren't supposed to hurt those in the experiment, but who's to say the volunteers won't hurt the street gangs? If they are really into this experiment (which is sure seems that they are), I sure wouldn't feel safe pretending to be a 'street gang'!!

My favorite character HAS to be John, the Computer Engineer. He's a loveable old hippie - who happens to be a genius!!

I wonder how 'into it' the volunteers really are - do you think it's in the back of their mind the whole time that this IS just a TV experiment?

Posted by batts on 08-20-09 at 03:50 AM
Is John the old man with the curly hair? If so, he's my favorite too.

I'm really not likeing the 2 hotheaded guys.

Posted by FlowerChild on 08-20-09 at 12:33 PM
I don't care for the hot heads either and YES John is the old hippie man with curly haired guy.

Wait a minute...Batts? Is that you????

Posted by mrc on 08-20-09 at 05:29 PM
The confrontation over food with the two overlopers sure seemed real, didn't it? I think they forget that this is a TV show.

A Slice of Manga

Posted by weltek on 08-27-09 at 12:33 PM
Nolay and I watched, based on the small group recommending it here. We love it!

The doc went "missing' last night. I felt so bad for the colonists, as they have no idea he was "removed" as part of the experiment and are probably quite unsure if it's a test to see how they'd go about getting him back or what.

Why in the heck did they need to make the fireworks? I think dude is just a pyro.

I've been extremely impressed with their ingenuity, though I assume there was some coaching pre-show about what they should "study up" on.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by tribephyl on 08-30-09 at 03:41 AM
Gah, losing the doctor was a striking blow to the group. (Not to mention the hottie quotient. Yes, I still hottie hunt on this show. George's eyes were quite spectacular, anyways...)
He did seem to be quite intent on going off alone while searching the hospital, but if I was Mike I would have stayed with George. Just left the gas at the exit door and went with him. (Although that need to separate himself from the group did seem suspect to some sort of productorial clue to George alone.)
I'm sure George, after "leaving", feels like sheet having to leave his group in such a manner. Just disappearing.

Oh and dudes a pyro.

Posted by weltek on 08-31-09 at 12:51 PM
Indeed, the hotness factor went way down upon the loss of George. Such blue eyes. Yummy!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 08-30-09 at 10:59 AM
I didnt know this show existed till I came here. I LOVE it! Im totally caught up and cant wait for a new one! Thanks for posting!

"Anyone still watching?"
Posted by udg on 09-18-09 at 10:17 PM
I am fascinated by the gender roles in this show. I wish they'd been a little more even in the skills distribution (maybe a male nurse and a female "handyman"). A marine biologist doesn't really have much to offer in the day-to-day survival of the group, and a nurse without any special equipment is no more useful than a person with some common sense and basic first aid knowledge. That imbalance cannot help the mood of the men who are already feeling on edge due to the stress and fear of the scenario.

During the argument this week, John C basically told the girls to drop it because Joey was more important to their survival than they were. Had the tables been turned, had it been one of the "less valuable" team members crossing a line so blatantly and pissing off one of the "more valuable" members, I think there would have been a degree of censure coming from Mike, the Johns, and Vlad.

I also think that Joey's statement that he did it "for her safety" was total bull. He did it because he was angry. When Allison(?) said that he'd never have touched any of the men that way, she was 100% correct. I doubt he'll EVER admit that what he did was abusive, but it was. Those women have no one to look out for them, and they don't have the skills or the power to look out for themselves.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

"RE: Anyone still watching?"
Posted by weltek on 09-21-09 at 11:43 AM
I get your point, but they way they have it set up, this is a more likely cross section of America, as far as gender roles go. I think they cherry picked occupations, however, and you'd be much more likely to find a teacher than a marine biologist in your survivor camp.

I think the force he used to push the woman inside was out of anger, but I believe if a man was dawdling getting inside, he'd also have ushered him in with some force. I seriously do. Just think of how a mother or father might use a little force on a dawdling child after a dangerous incident. Particularly when you are hungry and tired. I've seen it happen plenty of times. I'd have been really pissed at her flippancy after the bread incident, too, and my temper would have been raised.

The gender roles are frustrating in that the women want to help, but sometimes lack the skills, strength and knowledge. The projects are more about hurry and get it done (with little food and energy) rather than "let me take the time to teach you how to use this tool and explain what I need done." I think it's the reality of the situation they are in. I thought it was great that the women have stepped up in negotiating with other survivors and merchants lately. Many of these women are using their skills in less aparent ways than building things.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Ending"
Posted by weltek on 09-25-09 at 04:34 PM
Lame-o ending for a reality show. Joey stays? Really? They dont' show them reuniting with loved ones? Boohiss!

-A Tribetastic Creation