URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 2072
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Shark Tank"

Posted by foonermints on 08-10-09 at 08:41 PM
I know it exists, but did anyone actually watch it? I spent another hour of my incredibly valuable "life as a wastrel" getting involved with The Neighborhood.
What do you think of it? I plan on watching next week.
thanks! ~nufoonermint

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Shark Tank"
Posted by tjdmlhw on 08-11-09 at 09:51 AM
I recorded this while I watched the Neighborhood and then watched it after Design Star went off (Yes, I am a reality show junky).

I enjoyed it. You don't have contestants or judges because each case is viewed on it own merit and the investors decide individually if they will invest their own money in the company/idea.

There were 5 people asking for investments this past week.

Pie Man owned a pie shop and claimed that he had letter of intent with McDonalds to set up kiosks in their stores to sell his pies nationally. Two of the Investors combined to make him an offer that he accepted.

Medicine Woman had developed a medicine dropper shaped like an elephant that would help give children medicine. The lady investor liked the idea and offered to invest in it, but for a majority percentage of the company. Medicine Woman accepted the offer because she said not only would she be getting the money, she would also be getting the mentorship of someone with a track record of making money. A wise decision in my opinion.

Blue Tooth Guy wanted to start a company that would surgically implant a blue tooth device below the ear. To charge it you had to stick a needle shaped charger into your ear and to get an upgrade on equipment, you had to go back for another surgery. They all laughed at him and declined. One of the investors did say that he thought that the guy might be ahead of his time.

Kiosk Man wanted to place WiFi Kiosks that had little notebook devices in doctors offices to be used by patients waiting to see the doctor. He had already mortgaged his home twice and used his kids college fund trying to sell this. The investors told him that he needed to get out of it before he lost everything. It sounds like he already has.

College Girls Packing Boxes Duo already had a successful business called Hunks Hauling Trash (or something like that) and wanted to start a business where they hired college girls to help moving people pack their home. One of the investors offered them more than they asked for, but he wanted a 10% share of the successful business they already had. They turned him down.

According to the previews, next week two of the investors likes an idea so much that they get in a bidding war for it.

"Wow!"
Posted by foonermints on 08-11-09 at 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update! Amazingly clear and concise, AND much better than my rambling notes about The Neighborhood. Don't let Estee see this, or she'll recruit you for Big Brother summaries .

I like the idea of Blue Tooth Guy attempting to turn people into The Borg. I see enough crazies on Metro Rail with giant headsets that make me want to walk over to them and push buttons and twist knobs until they either go crazy or will do my bidding.

Pie Man has a letter of intent? When will I see Pie Man's Pies in McDonalds? well, I haven't really been in a McDonalds since 1985 or so, but I can peek through the window, can't I?

Kiosk Man sounds like a Wackazoid. He already found a black hole to put his money in, and the possible investors were smart to avoid it. Hey! It kind of sounds like some advertisement I've seen, where the money is sucked out of your wallet and flies into the computer.. wait.. I think I've got it..

Needless to say, College Girls Packing Boxes Duo is a sure fire winner. Heck, I'd hire them in a second if I wasn't scared of being beaten to death by my girlfriend if both of us thought we needed them. I know that there are a lot of college girls who advertise on craigslist who are in need of funds, and this would be a perfect fit for them.

Medicine Woman was smart to hop on the bus with her Elephant Medicine Dropper. I worry though: what happens when billions of these are imported from The Gwing Chang knock-off factory in China? Sure, they may not be quite to spec, and sure, they may be made from recycled car batteries and a wee bit poisonous, BUT they will be 10¢ cheaper and will ruin the marketplace for the real McCoy. Well, gettest thou in whilst the getting is good, no?

All in all, I bet Kingfish *looks down* will enjoy watching this along with the rest of us rummies with entirely too much time on our hands.

Posted by kingfish on 08-11-09 at 10:02 AM
Only because Fooner recommended it, I will watch this next time.

Fooner would not lead us astray, would he?

Posted by foonermints on 08-11-09 at 02:32 PM
Never. Trust Fearless Leader.

Posted by newsomewayne on 08-19-09 at 06:19 PM
*ahem*

Never Trust Fearless Leader.

"Ah, The Misinformed.. You are missing a Fascinating Experience!"
Posted by foonermints on 08-20-09 at 02:57 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-20-09 AT 01:06 PM (EST)

Craig "Broken Jaw" Fronk:
I have many, MANY tee shirts to sell you. Why? Because I'm a genius and have sold 1500 of them. Nobody can make tee shirts like ME! 200k of your money later, I bet I can double that. Not your money, just the t shirts. I think. Doy.
Oh, I have a broken jaw and NO orders from my first trade show.
*buzzer sound on idiot*

Robert the Saviour:
I have a great patent that is so freaking valuable that even though I don't have any idea how to market it, I proudly refuse your one million dollars to buy my patent and get the Hell out of the way for people who know better. Yep, I'll be a hobo living out of a dumpster unless you promise to put my life saving device into every car on the planet so I can save lives.
Or something like that..
(wait until a kid figures out he can circumvent said patent with a gum wrapper in the fuse box)
*buzzer sound on idiot*

Susan Cinnamon Pear Jelly:
"I run a company that I have invested over 800k in of my own money with a net profit of 2%. I have great projections forcast though!" *mutters: hell's bells, I should have invested in earthworms or something*.
Anyway, the idiot takes the offer of 50% of her company in exchange for 500k of funding. Personally, I would immediately change my salary to 500k a day for running Susan Cinnamon Pear Jelly.
Suckers.

Mary Ellen WonkBat:
The Glory of StickyNotes.
Let's not go with this dreadful mess.
*buzzer sound on idiot*

The Singing Teacher:
Who Cares?

OK, you are right. "This show is a piece of ____."
Thank you, CQVenus, for shocking me many years ago with your succinct review of another show I was interested in.
*flush*

Posted by Agman2 on 04-06-16 at 10:29 AM
Except on days ending in "y"

Posted by Loree on 08-11-09 at 01:50 PM
I watched. It reminded me of the Canadian show The Dragon's Den.

"Dragon's Den?"
Posted by foonermints on 08-11-09 at 02:29 PM
I think I read that it was modeled after that show.

foonermint: not afraid of The Gorn Cannon!

"RE: Dragon's Den?"
Posted by tjdmlhw on 08-11-09 at 10:43 PM
I just watched the BBC version of Dragon's Den and there's no doubt that Shark Tank is a clone. Right down to the way the investors say they won't invest in the product, "I'm Out".

Posted by Loree on 08-13-09 at 01:32 AM
2 of the Sharks are actually from the Canadian show. The UK and Australia also have a Dragon's Den show. The Shark Tank is just a copycat of Dragon's Den.

Posted by mindy23 on 08-13-09 at 11:25 AM
You guys have already done a very thorough run down of the show. So, all I'll say (yes, I'm a reality junkie, too!) is that I did like it, and will more than likely watch it again!

DH actually liked it, too, and that says a lot!

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 08-18-09 at 11:29 AM
It is indeed a clone of the Canadian show Dragon's Den (which in turn was modeled after the British version), and does indeed have two of Canada's "Dragons" in the Shark tank.

The episode I watched seemed to be dominated by the Canadian dragons, perhaps because they're so used to the format now. The American dragons seemed nervous, and unsure what to say much of the time - especially the woman, who barely said two words in the episode I watched. Hopefully they'll get more comfortable if the show continues.

The Canadian show does quite well up here. It's funny to see what the "Burnett" treatment has done to it in the American version. The Canadian show is shot in what is meant to look like an old warehouse. The dragons sit in panel form in very meagre chairs. The American? A big beautiful set, complete with an actual shark tank. Of coarse. And the sharks are at a big, intimidating desk, towering over the inventors.

Posted by MKitty on 09-03-09 at 04:21 PM
I have been a Dragon's Den fan for years, and was NOT surprised to see our two Canadian guys, Robert and Kevin O totally dominate the show...and I have seen the new one about three times. I guess they are so comfortable in that role that they just ramp it up even further. I love it when they try to out "shark' each other! Lots of fun to watch...I'll continue to watch both the Cdn and the American version as they are so much fun

*Summerized by Agman*

Posted by Agman2 on 04-08-16 at 05:32 PM
Me too

"Rerun"
Posted by tjdmlhw on 08-14-09 at 02:23 PM
According to the Hunks Hauling Junk website, Shark Tank will be reran this Saturday night for those of you that missed it and want to see it. You can also view it at http://www.hulu.com/watch/88498/shark-tank-series-premiere if you don't want to wait until then.

If you wish to find out more about Hunks Hauling Junk, you can find them at http://1800junkusa.com/. It does appear to be a successful business.

The guys went ahead with launching the business they were pitching on the Shark Tank (College Foxes Packing Boxes). That web page is http://collegefoxes.com.

Posted by kingfish on 09-14-09 at 12:59 PM
I see a definite future in fart-proof underwear.

Posted by foonermints on 09-14-09 at 02:47 PM
KA-BLAMMIE!

Posted by foonermints on 01-17-10 at 01:30 PM
It's back! I must really have nothing to do with my life.
Four forgettable products, and not anything even Chia Obama worthy. Tribebobylified

Posted by Agman2 on 03-25-16 at 03:39 PM
NOthing to see on this thread.....I'm out!