URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID51
Thread Number: 204
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What the @#$#% was Tess talking about?"

Posted by PagongRatEater on 09-08-04 at 09:34 AM
Last week she was easily the funniest of the comedians that we saw perform. I don't get the whole sexy thing unless the show is going for irony as humor (seems a bit too highbrow for this crowd), but her comedy was smokin' funny.

Last night her act landed in my living room with a giant THUD. I have no idea at all what she was talking about. Not only was it not funny...it was barely English. Am I alone here? My wife and I just stared at each other with a visible question mark over our heads.

On the other hand, it's been awhile since I've been able to sit back and just listen to the crickets.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What the @#$#% was Tess talking about?"
Posted by thndrkttn on 09-08-04 at 10:06 AM

I thought the same thing. Last week she was hilarious. This week she seemed nervous, agitated and like you, I could barely understand what she was saying. It was all rushed and hurried. She was not having a good time. Last week? She was laughing along with her jokes. This week? Not so much.

-thndrkttn

Posted by AMAZON on 09-08-04 at 02:59 PM
Are you serious. I LOVED Tess last night. I don't know what was up with the crowd last night though. Her and Gary had decent sets, but the audience was so dead!

I really think that Tess's type of routine and sense of humor are more geared towards a Black audience, personally. I just don't think the mainstream can appreciate her humor.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 09-08-04 at 03:04 PM
I thought she was hysterical last week, so I don't think its all about the racial. Last night just seemed really thrown together to be topical first and funny second (or potentially third). Didn't even crack a smile.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 09-09-04 at 11:55 AM
Could it be that they oonly get two minutes to perform. C'mon, this is supposed to be comedy, not a race. Part of being a good comic is working with the audience, working up a good rapport, taking the time to tell little jokes that will have significance much later in the act when you work the same punchline in again but give it a different twist in a different context. The show is poorly designed to give us sitcom one-liners, not real comedy...

Posted by AirDragon on 09-08-04 at 04:35 PM
I shared the same look with my wife...
The "THAT was supposed to be funny" look.
I didn't find her particularly funny last week either.
Im not a big fan of hers for the same reason I am not a big fan of Dat or Ant. All 3 rely on making jokes about themselves and have no other decent material.

Dat - I'm asian and my family talks funny.
Ant - Im gay and I talk funny.
Tess - Im heavy but sexy aint that funny.

Posted by grit on 09-09-04 at 12:24 PM
I watched my tape again this morning - something was definitely off with her. She kept stumbling over her words and it seemed like she was trying to control her own laughter. It was almost like she wasn't prepared to go up that night. All of them should be ready to perform at the drop of a hat.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by lovwigglesworth on 09-09-04 at 07:06 PM
She totally cracked me up with the bit about shooting at her ex-husband. Although it did seem a little like a drunk person telling jokes up there. I'm going to predict she comes in 3rd out of the four from season one, though, because plants are not funny.

Posted by BOYmeetsREALITY on 09-09-04 at 07:15 PM
We said the same thing PAGONG!

I seriously think she may have been drunk.

Slurring her words and forming incoherent sentences was the first couple clues....

Thank good ness it wasn't just me!

Posted by missdashwood on 09-10-04 at 00:18 AM
No, there was definately something weird going on.
I thought she might be on something.
She crashed and burned. Can she climb up out of the ashes?
I believe so. Weird "plant on the corner" guy will probably go before her.

Posted by zazzy on 09-12-04 at 12:32 PM
I just caught the rerun of the show and Tess's part.

I understood every word she said. She did not enunciate too well on a couple of words {dental} but she was trying to go pretty fast. She did not seem drunk to me.

Her material was about

--importing hair from China
--need for a free dental plan from the government
--fall back plan to get married if comedy did not work out

I think Tess's material was not as funny as it can be. She can tell jokes but she needs constant good material. Her delivery was rushed--could she have just been nervous...and maybe she knew that was not her best material.

What surprises me most about S1 comics is that they have had, what, a year? to get some new, good material and a lot of them are using some really "B" level stuff. I thought S2 comics would not have much new that would be better than S1 but so far...S1 disappoints.

Posted by lovwigglesworth on 09-13-04 at 03:25 PM
You just described her first set, we are talking about the second time she went up.

Posted by zazzy on 09-13-04 at 04:20 PM
??? That was the second time she was on. She did weight and looks jokes the first time she was on--check the summaries.

Posted by PagongRatEater on 09-13-04 at 04:52 PM
Just to confirm - I was criticizing last weeks' most recent performance # 2.