URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 203
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC Roasted Broccoli with Shrimp and Garbanzos"

Posted by Karchita on 07-23-10 at 03:04 AM
This wonderful recipe has contrasting textures, unusual spices, bright colors, and that rare quality of the whole being more than the sum of its parts. If you have never tried roasted broccoli, you are in for a treat. It is quite different from steamed or stir fried and balanced here by the flavors of the shrimp, garbanzos and strong spices. The dish goes together in minutes, yet it’s fancy enough for a dinner party. The original recipe appeared in the New York Times, but I have made a number of additions and changes. I hope you all like it as much as I do.

Roasted Broccoli with Shrimp and Garbanzo Beans
Serves 4 generously

2 pounds broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp whole coriander seeds , crushed (or ½ tsp ground)
1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp sea salt (or less to taste), divided
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/8 tsp hot chili powder
1 pound large uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined*
1 14 oz can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium-sized lemons
2 cups brown rice, uncooked

1. Start rice cooking. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, mix 3 tablespoons olive oil, coriander, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and chili powder. Add broccoli and garbanzos and toss.

2. Spread mixture in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven.

3. Meanwhile, re-using the same bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, zest from one lemon, remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Add shrimp and toss.

4. When the broccoli mixture has roasted for 10-12 minutes**, add shrimp to baking sheet and toss with broccoli. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until shrimp are just pink and opaque and broccoli is tender and golden around edges, about 10 minutes more. Squeeze lemon juice from the de-zested lemon all over shrimp and broccoli just before serving.

5. Serve over brown rice with garnishes and wedges from the second lemon.

*I highly recommend the frozen uncooked jumbo shrimp from Trader Joe’s. I can hardly tell that they are not fresh and they are very reasonably priced.

**10 minutes is probably sufficient, but if your florets are large or you like your broccoli well cooked, then you will want to cook it a few minutes longer. Do it at this point to avoid overcooking the shrimp.

I don’t recommend fiddling with this recipe too much, but here are a few ideas because I know that I am dealing with some incurable fiddlers:

Skip the garbanzos?
Use cauliflower for all or part of broccoli? Or brussels sprouts?
Add mushrooms?
Chicken?
Tofu!!
And would somebody please try it on the grill? It could be done in a grill basket or on skewers (without the beans, of course, unless you want to try skewering them with toothpicks. ) or some combination thereof.

Ingredients:

(pay no attention to those mushrooms that I changed my mind about using, please)

Broccoli-garbanzo mixture:

Going in the oven:

Shrimp added, going back into the oven:

Shrimp pink, broccoli tender, and it's ready to eat:

Plated up:

Have a seat:

And enjoy the view while you dine:

Bouquet by c2p

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC Roasted Broccoli with Shrimp and Garbanzos"
Posted by qwertypie on 07-23-10 at 08:34 AM
Looks delish. Can't wait to try it

And a very nice view.

"Blonde moment."
Posted by thndrkttn on 07-23-10 at 10:51 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-23-10 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

I was just over at federal probation. The officer we were meeting with had a black keyboard with bright yellow keys with huge letters on them. For the very first time, I noticed that the top row spelled out your name. How effing dumb am I not to have noticed this all these years? *smacks forehead*

"RE: Blonde moment."
Posted by Karchita on 07-23-10 at 11:58 AM
*snork*

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by thndrkttn on 07-23-10 at 10:54 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE your pictures! Especially the "have a seat" photo.

I will be trying this with grilled chicken. (Shrimp squink me out a bit.) And I LOVE garbanzos! I eat them right out of the strainer.

Posted by Karchita on 07-23-10 at 12:08 PM
That's quite a compliment coming from you! Thanks. *blush*

Lately I have been obsessed with hummus and garbanzos in general. That was one of the main reasons I chose this recipe. I bet it will be really good with chicken.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by CTgirl on 07-23-10 at 11:58 AM
I will try this without the chick peas. I hate beans! It's a texture thing.

The view is gorgeous - is that your old house or your new one because I can't keep straight if you've actually moved yet or not!!

Cappy's Springtime

Posted by Karchita on 07-23-10 at 12:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-23-10 AT 07:59 PM (EST)

People appear to have a love/hate thing for chick peas (or garbanzo beans). *points up to tkitty*

The original NYT recipe didn't have them and the first time I made it I didn't use them, but I love them to the point of obsession lately, so I haven't made it without them since that first time, but it is very good either way.

That's the old house. You're not the only one who can't keep straight what the heck we are doing. We decided not to move and are now working on getting the new house listed to sell instead of the old one. We made a mistake and it's going to cost us dearly. DH just didn't want to move and eventually I realized that it just wasn't going to happen. I didn't want to leave my garden, either.

edited to fix spelling so I might make sense. might.

Posted by weltek on 07-26-10 at 09:25 AM
Wow, that makes my head spin. Good luck!!!! Glad you kept your gardens.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 07-26-10 at 10:56 AM
My head is spinning, too. We were both very relieved when we made the decision, though, so I think it is the right one. I am sad that I won't get to live in that beautiful house, though. The only consolation is that we probably would have lost even more money if we'd had it in the stock market.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by weltek on 07-26-10 at 09:26 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-10 AT 09:27 AM (EST)

Ditto. I'm trying to think of something fun to replace them with. I have a lot of fresh green beans, but the color wouldn't be right (too much green). ETA: Yet, I love hummus. Go figure.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 07-26-10 at 10:53 AM
I'd suggest leaving the garbanzos out and making it like the origianl recipe with just shrimp and broc. It's very good that way. Maybe some tomatoes or cucumbers in a salad on the side. Yum.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by weltek on 07-27-10 at 10:12 AM
*glare* Are you being sarcastic about the cukes and tomatoes? *points to my thread above*

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 07-27-10 at 10:29 AM
lol. No, I wasn't being sarcastic, but I can if you want me to be. I haven't had a chance to check out your other thread yet, but last year I had green beans and cukes from the garden coming out of my ears, so I should be able to suggest a few recipes. Maybe I'll have time tonight.

Bouquet by c2p

"Trying this tonight"
Posted by qwertypie on 07-25-10 at 01:34 PM
I sent DH to get groceries, so as long as things go according to plan -- Wahoo!

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 07-25-10 at 05:19 PM

DH is home from work tomorrow, and I'm going to try this dish on the grill, but without the garbanzo beans, because we don't like them.

Your pictures are great! I now have Karchita garden envy.

An IceCat original, 2009

Posted by Karchita on 07-27-10 at 11:16 AM
(< about the garden envy)

Can't wait to hear how it works on the grill.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Seana on 07-26-10 at 02:26 AM
Beautiful view!

I can't wait to try this. We like roasted broccoli, so I can make myself a little packet on the side.

We do usually wrap whatever vegetable up in tin foil and throw it on the grill with the rest of dinner, but I've been looking at those baskets...

Wheel of tribe

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-26-10 at 07:00 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-10 AT 07:02 AM (EST)

Looks great! We have a bbq wok (see below, ours is with a thicker handle) so I'll give it a whirl. For me, I'll leave out the broccoli and insert other veggies as I can't stand broccoli, but for Pene, she'll definitely go for your recipe.

Posted by Karchita on 07-27-10 at 11:18 AM
Some people who can't stand broccoli are won over when they try it roasted.

Jus' sayin'.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 07-26-10 at 09:43 AM
Beautiful pics!

I'm going to stick with the recipe, I don't know if I like garbanzo beans or not. I love hummus.

I'm behind on OTCC - I've made the fish with Pepe's strawberry salsa but haven't posted the one pic I took. Haven't made the hamburgers yet, but want to this week. I've been bad.

I may make this tonight, if I can find the energy to go to the grocery store.

Posted by Snidget on 07-29-10 at 09:17 AM
I kinda did the hamburgers, well I made the corn salsa.

I have some chicken lime burgers and some store bought chipotle mayo and the corn salsa was a good topping for that.

"Oh Yum!"
Posted by qwertypie on 07-26-10 at 07:54 PM
I must admit I did not know what to expect. Mr. Qwerty brought jumbo prawns with shells on from the store so I was worried how to adjust the time. I do not do garbonzo beans but since Mr. Qwerty loves them, I threw them in anyway.

With the shrimp mixture I added zucchini, red pepper and mushrooms, figuring they needed less roasting time.

The other change I made was I used orange zest and juice because someone (and I am not naming names) ate the lemons -- peels and all -- and left the oranges behind in the fruit bowl. *SIGH*

It was really good and I think it would be even better with lemons or limes next time. I would also bump up the spice because I didn't use as much salt and the extra veggies diluted the heat somewhat.

Thanks again for the recipe -- it was super easy and a real winner.

"RE: Oh Yum!"
Posted by thndrkttn on 07-27-10 at 09:09 AM
I really like some of the things you added. How much of the extra veggies did you add?

Posted by qwertypie on 07-27-10 at 12:28 PM
1 med size zucchini, 2 red bell pepper, about 6 white 'shrooms. Basically what I needed to use in the fridge.

The orange worked really well, I just prefer a little more tart so I think I would like the lemon or limes even better.

Posted by weltek on 07-27-10 at 10:13 AM
I might have to add the zucchini and red pepper. This is on my list this week, along with Pepe's pesto pasta. I just need to decide which to make tonight. Since I'm off work, I could make homemade pasta....

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Yay!"
Posted by Karchita on 07-27-10 at 10:37 AM
Someone made it! And liked it! I'm so glad.

Orange zest, huh? Actaully, that could be interesting in a good way.

Extra veggies will definitely dilute the spices, so I hope others take note of that. Even the garbanzos dilute them a bit. And if you make it with the amounts in the recipe, it is a bit on the salty side. I don't care for excessive salt usually, but in this recipe it is good, so I don't really recommend reducing it.

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Yay!"
Posted by weltek on 07-27-10 at 12:18 PM
Thanks for the note...I'm a flavor lover, so will make sure I increase the spices if I add the other veggies.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Yay!"
Posted by Karchita on 07-27-10 at 02:40 PM
I'd go by weight. I actually weighed the broccoli I used before I posted the recipe, so the spice and salt amounts I included are good for two pounds of veggies and you'd want to increase proportionately.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by frodis on 07-27-10 at 06:20 PM
This looks delicious and is chock-full of things I love. Big garbanzo fan, here.

I'm way behind on OTCC. I need to catch up!

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by qwertypie on 07-28-10 at 00:05 AM
Good to see you around

"Just because of your photos"
Posted by IceCat on 07-28-10 at 08:50 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-10 AT 08:52 AM (EST)

... I successfully decided not to 'fiddle'.

Very nice dish... made me think of mataar paneer... probably the chick peas and coriander combo.

Hmmmm... now I'm thinking that I'll take a standard mataar paneer recipe and substitute shrimp for the fried cheese chunks... or maybe keep the cheese and the shrimp!

Just Googled... it's been done... there's a lot of shrimp and chickpeas curry recipes out there. This one sounds good with the mango but I think using pre-made curry paste is a sin:

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2008/02/red-curry-with-shrimp-chickpeas.html

"RE: Just because of your photos"
Posted by Tummy on 07-28-10 at 01:26 PM

wondering how to entice the Cat into taking a time slot in OTCC.

Posted by qwertypie on 07-29-10 at 01:45 AM
I would just schedule him in the rotation. I am sure we can guilt him into giving up some of the recipes for dishes he talks about.

Posted by Karchita on 07-29-10 at 11:15 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of sweet talk.

*points below*

Posted by qwertypie on 07-29-10 at 05:13 PM
Hmmmm, maybe that is why I never get to play 'good cop'.

Posted by Karchita on 07-30-10 at 02:25 AM
You'll catch more flies with honey ... if you want flies.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Karchita on 07-29-10 at 11:12 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-10 AT 05:34 PM (EST)

Let me say that I am honored that you tried my recipe and very pleased that you liked it. How wonderful it would be if you would join us more often.

It's a marvelous combination (IMHO). I associate broccoli and shrimp with Chinese food, the garbanzos and spices are Middle Eastern, and the lemon is Mediterranean. One could do much fiddling with it, if one were so inclined, and take it in many directions. Do report back with any noteworthy results, ‘kay?

ETA: And you liked my photos, too? Ohmygosh.

"Questions"
Posted by Snidget on 07-29-10 at 09:19 AM
You thaw the frozen shrimp first?

I got a huge deal on frozen shrimp at the grocery store this week, they musta known the OTCC was shrimp based. 6 pounds at $2.88 a pound for medium sized shrimp. wOOt!

"RE: Questions"
Posted by Tummy on 07-29-10 at 09:31 AM
Have you looked closely and made sure they haven't already been marinated in Gulf Crude?

Posted by Snidget on 07-29-10 at 09:38 AM
*snort*

They are farm raised, which has it's own issues, but should mean no special BP marinade included.

Posted by weltek on 07-29-10 at 09:37 AM
Holy smokes-great deal. I'm shopping for shrimp tonight.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Snidget on 07-29-10 at 09:45 AM
Yep, great deal. Got a 2 pound bag on sale, and if you bought one bag you got two free.

I wonder if a lot of people are avoiding buying shrimp because of the gulf thing and so they were getting overstocked even on shrimp not from the gulf and felt they needed to move some product.

Posted by Karchita on 07-29-10 at 11:04 AM
I would suspect that is what is going on. Good deal for you, though, you smart shopper, you!

Yes, thaw the shrimp before adding. Eight hours give or take in a colander in the fridge works for me.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 07-29-10 at 11:12 AM
Mmmm. We're going shopping for shrimp as well - there's a sale on several kinds of shrimp at the grocery store. Gonna nuke it on the bbq tomorrow, so will post how it went and everything, along with pictures (if I can find the time to do it before going up to the cottage on Saturday).

"Three Words"
Posted by Snidget on 07-30-10 at 06:31 PM
Nom! Nom!! Nom!!!

"RE: Three Words"
Posted by Karchita on 08-03-10 at 01:23 AM

Bouquet by c2p

"Bursting with flavor!"
Posted by weltek on 08-01-10 at 07:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-02-10 AT 09:48 AM (EST)

Great flavors, Karchita! I ended up using green beans and a few carrots instead of the beans. Our CSA also gave us a big bag of delicate new potatoes that I needed to use soon, so I roasted those instead of using rice. I doubled the weight of the roasted items, thus doubled the spices. I also doubled the roasting time, but should've then added ANOTHER ten minutes. Oh well, it was still delicious and I'll DEFINITELY make again. ETA: Nolay said while we cleaned up, "give my compliments to Karchita."

This is a reflection of how hot our house got from using the oven this afternoon:

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Oh no!"
Posted by Karchita on 08-03-10 at 01:27 AM
You melted your kitty!

Glad that you liked it. Potatoes would take a lot longer I suppose.

Tell Nolay *smooch*, ok?

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 08-02-10 at 09:03 AM
I've had all the stuff for this for a few days now but don't dare turn on the oven as it's been 101 - 103 without the heat index, for awhile now. It doesn't even cool down much at night.

I may wind up doing this on the grill, but gawd it's too hot to even do that right now! We've been eating sandwiches and I've been making cold soups. This weekend we had ham and veggie sandwiches with chilled chai spiced honeydew soup. Over and over and over again. I made the cool cucumber soup that I posted in the other thread and it was really good.
This is the first time I've gotten into making cold soups, if I'd only known what I was missing!

Posted by weltek on 08-02-10 at 09:45 AM
I always laugh at the cruise message boards I frequent before we've vacationed. There are people that are RABID fans of cold soups.

I can reasonably enjoy a tiny bowl (like ramekin size), but that's about it. My favorite has been an avocado chilled soup.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 08-02-10 at 10:37 AM
I remember my first cruise, I was all excited to try the cold watermelon soup. It was just watermelon from a blender. Absolutely no seasoning. If they'd only thrown in some ice I could have had watermelon ice, which is a summer beverage around here. Especially with some vodka thrown in.

That was my last foray into cold soups until this summer. I found it's all about the seasoning.

Posted by Karchita on 08-03-10 at 01:22 AM
I love gazpacho on a hot day, but I really can't say I have tried that many other cold soups. And I doubt I will be this year as we haven't had much of a summer here. It was barely in the 70s the last couple of days. Sorry about the oven part of my recipe. I thought that might be a problem for some of the OTCCers, but I don't mind at all if you wait for cooler weather.

I mentioned a while back that I have a fantastic new cookbook, The Gourmet Cookbook, and it has a ton of cold soups. Here is the blog I have been following of someone cooking all the recipes in the book. If you scroll down to about page 80 you'll see the soups.

http://alexhealy.net/cgi-bin/gourmetProject/blog.py?name=All&sortBy=page&sortOrder=asc

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 08-03-10 at 04:25 PM
ohhh, awesome, a new food blog to read. Thanks!

I'm in love with the above melon soup - it has an Indian flair with the spices used. Very yummy.

And I'm so envious of your weather. I just came in from water the struggling plants and our temp guage, which is in the shade, is registering 109. I don't even know what the heat index is as it's so humid it's like there's heavy wet blanket surrounding the yard.

Posted by Karchita on 08-03-10 at 04:31 PM
That cookbook really is fantastic. I am in lvoe with it.

Where are you again? Oklahoma? I cannot take that kind of heat. I melt, like Wellie's cat, and I get really 'harsh'.

Although I would be willing to test the ability of watermelon-based cocktails to revive me.

Posted by Tummy on 08-03-10 at 01:26 PM
I made this at 1 am this morning. I couldn't sleep and figured it was as cool outside as it's going to get this week. It's what's for dinner tonight.

I can tell you I snagged some of the broccoli and I love the spices! Any time I roast veggies this will be my choice of flavoring. I think cauliflower would be wonderful done this way.

I'll take a pic of the dish. Didn't take pics of the prep.

I did eat a few of the garbanzo beans after roasting and they have a little flavor of a black-eyed pea which isn't my favorite.

Thanks for a good and super easy dish Karchita.

Posted by weltek on 08-03-10 at 02:19 PM
OMG-this is an OT first...1 am!

Oven roasted is my FAVORITE way to eat cauliflower.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 08-03-10 at 03:39 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-03-10 AT 05:08 PM (EST)

Glad that you liked it, Tummy.

I have never had roasted cauliflower, but I can't stop thinking about this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Roasted-Cauliflower-with-Olive-Oil-and-Capers-236377

*drool*

ETA a critical negative.

Posted by Tummy on 08-03-10 at 04:21 PM
I LVOE roasted cauliflower. Walnut oil and coarse salt is all I need. I usually slice it into planks and any florets that fall off I just toss in. But roasting the whole head would work too.

Posted by CTgirl on 08-03-10 at 09:29 PM
I made this tonight at the spur of the moment. I am home alone tonight and really hate cooking for just myself (in fact, when I told DS what I was making, he said, "Really, you're cooking?!" But your recipe looked easy and yummy, so I went for it and wasn't disappointed!

I cut the recipe in half and it worked out perfectly. I have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch too (hoping that the shrimp and garbanzo beans will taste okay in the microwave!). And I even added the beans which I wasn't planning on doing because I do like hummus. I tried one when I was adding the shrimp and I was pretty grossed out (I hate the texture of the inside of the bean). But they kept on cooking with the shrimp and "dried" out and tasted good in combination with the shrimp, broccoli and rice. I also used Penzey's Spices lemon zest because I was too lazy in too much of a rush to zest the lemon myself.

Thanks Karchita. Easy and delicious is the way I prefer to cook!

Cooked up by Foonermints

Posted by foonermints on 08-03-10 at 10:20 PM
*testing*
*little bitty secret smoochie*

Posted by Karchita on 08-06-10 at 10:32 AM
Easy and delicious is definitely my preference, too.

I thought you might like this because you said that you liked that recipe for roasted shrimp in that cookbook you gave me for Christmas. Kudos to you for trying the beans! I didn't think they changed that much with the roasting, but I like how they add to the contrast of textures in this dish.

Bouquet by c2p

"Next 4 up"
Posted by Tummy on 08-06-10 at 07:59 AM
Aug 6th - CapN
Aug 13th - Sharnina
Aug 27th - Tummy
Sept 10th - Breezy

"RE: Next 4 up"
Posted by Karchita on 08-06-10 at 10:34 AM
Three of those four aren't around here much lately.

I hope they remember.

Bouquet by c2p