URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID42
Thread Number: 1986
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity"

Posted by mrc on 04-19-12 at 02:03 PM
The question we've all asked and secretly know the answer to: Why no diversity in the lead roles?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Bachelor-Producers-Discrimination-Lawsuit-1046202.aspx

Sigs by Bob about chalk dust. Pretty exciting stuff

Table of contents
  • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Estee, 02:53 PM, 04-19-12
  • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Max Headroom, 03:10 PM, 04-19-12
    • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,mrc, 05:11 PM, 04-19-12
      • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,byoffer, 05:22 PM, 04-19-12
  • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Ants, 10:36 PM, 04-20-12
  • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,CSHS79, 02:20 PM, 05-16-12
    • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Round Robin, 04:46 AM, 05-17-12
    • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Ants, 05:17 PM, 05-17-12
      • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Round Robin, 05:17 AM, 05-18-12
  • Coverage increasing.,Estee, 03:50 PM, 05-22-12
  • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,DoinTomCruiseDance, 11:46 PM, 05-25-12
    • RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity,Round Robin, 01:56 AM, 05-26-12

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Bachelor Lawsuit over Lack of Diversity"
Posted by Estee on 04-19-12 at 02:53 PM
Because in America, only heterosexual Caucasians are allowed to pursue happiness. It's in our laws and everything!

The lawsuit may have a point, but as far as actual ground to stand on, it's doomed.

Posted by Max Headroom on 04-19-12 at 03:10 PM
*head tilt*
*innocent look*

So what's the answer to the question??

Posted by mrc on 04-19-12 at 05:11 PM
The producerz, de are de razists.lnvw'brvbu

Darn cat--get off the keyboard!

A PATCH of banana skin
IMHO, I think ABC believes that its ratings would go down if there was an Af Am lead or finalist. Another answer might be that the leads get input into their casting choices . . . bwahahahahaha! I almost got that out with a serious face.

Posted by byoffer on 04-19-12 at 05:22 PM
I think you are right that ABC thinks that their ratings would go down with an AfAm lead. I guess they somewhat control the finanists.

My other thought is that there is a joke in this. One that applies a punchline from same-sex marriages to The Bachelor. Something parallel to "why should heterosexuals caucasians be the only ones to have to go through all the pain of marriage The Bachelor??"

Posted by Ants on 04-20-12 at 10:36 PM
I wondered why they've been getting away with it for so long.

The answer I got, when I asked why Brad's girls were all White, was, "Here we go again." I guess many other people asked the same question. After all, it's so noticeable.

Posted by CSHS79 on 05-16-12 at 02:20 PM
This lawsuit was filed by 2 African American men who said they went to a casting call and were ignored by the producers. My question is how aggressive were they in seeking the producers attention? Did they go expecting to be courted?
But the real point is,do they really want to be The Bachelor or do they just want a big payday? As in if the producers settle with them for enough money the lawsuit and their interest in the show will disappear?

Posted by Round Robin on 05-17-12 at 04:46 AM
Of course nobody will admit it, but a non-white lead or finalist would go over about as well as a f@rt in church with most of the viewers, and that's why they never pick one. If they ever do they can kiss a big chunk of their ratings and ad money goodbye.

Posted by Ants on 05-17-12 at 05:17 PM
"But the real point is,do they really want to be The Bachelor or do they just want a big payday? As in if the producers settle with them for enough money the lawsuit and their interest in the show will disappear? "

That's the case with many lawsuits. Some people want justice. Many people just want the cash. Let's see what happens.

Posted by Round Robin on 05-18-12 at 05:17 AM
They may or may not have had some level of interest in being the Bachelor, but lawsuits of this nature are often targeted at picking low hanging fruit, and if the defendants offer enough money to make the risk of losing the lawsuit an iffy proposition, the plaintiffs will often take the money and run, and any principle involved is thrown under the bus.

"Coverage increasing."
Posted by Estee on 05-22-12 at 03:50 PM
This was just being discussed on CNN's headline channel. The question may be whether reality televisions falls under 'creative process' exception laws, e.g. 'I wrote this character believing they looked a certain way, and I'm not reimagining them now'. It very probably doesn't simply because unless you're Big Brother, you aren't a scripted series and aren't casting roles.

The segment decided everyone has the same rights to be subjected to 1950s gender politics designed to end in tragedy for the amusement of the masses. We'll see how the court feels.

Well, they pretty much said exactly that.

Posted by DoinTomCruiseDance on 05-25-12 at 11:46 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-26-12 AT 01:01 AM (EST)

Shut up before you end up sounding like a hypocrite!! Blackpeoplemeet.com, Blackdating.com, Afroromance.com, Blackcupid.com, AfricanAmericanpassions.com..All BLACK ONLY dating websites..have anyone of them Whitepeoplemeet--etc.. and it'd surely be picketed against as a Nazi site!!!

Get OVER The BullSh!!! already!!! It's SO Ridiculous!! Especially when it's so obviously Not true!! When it is an actually case--such as it was for those beaten by the LAPD--NO ONE will believe!!! And WHY?? Because you aholes spent your time crying wolf, searching desperately for the mere appearance of what your 'brothers' in LA actually Lived!!! Who's going to believe you when it's Real?? Dildo's stop it already!!! You're NOT helping--you are only hurting. And believe me, there are still brothers hurting/being hurt to this day!! So STOP!!!!

If you're not getting your A$s BEAT & there's nothing stopping you from doing that which you're b!.ching about; SHUT THE F'UP!!!!!!!!

((( It's about Emily; Emily's preferences in a potential mate.. wouldn't that be the reason for the types/colors of guys chosen for the show?? How is that not obvious!?!? )))

Posted by Round Robin on 05-26-12 at 01:56 AM
You gotta remember, this lawsuit ain't about the principle of the thing. never has been, never will be. They're in it to extort a settlement from ABC, nothing more and nothing less. The principle of the thing is not what they care about. It has always been about the MONEY, and nothing but the MONEY, and if they can get paid off big, they'll be perfectly happy to throw their fellow blacks under the bus.