URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1970
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"America's Toughest Jobs."

Posted by Estee on 08-26-08 at 09:57 AM
Say, NBC -- not to be picky or anything, but at any point during that whole premiere hour, did you happen to take any time for introducing all thirteen players or telling us just what it is they're playing for?

No?

Okay. Second question: why?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Agree."
Posted by mrc on 08-26-08 at 12:36 PM
I actually liked seeing more of the background to crab fishing, but I could only name the four losers and the gal who worked really hard. I don't even think they showed all of the other contestants. And ditto the prize.

"Prize"
Posted by Snidget on 08-26-08 at 01:20 PM
According to the NBC.com page

"Upping the ante, the annual salary of each job will be thrown into the pot until the finale – where one rookie will take home the well-earned cash."

Medal winning sigs by Agman!

"RE: America's Toughest Jobs."
Posted by batts on 08-26-08 at 02:06 PM
How many times during that show did someone almost DIE in a rope.... mishap?

The show seemed to be haphazardly put together, with no goal. I'm a Deadliest Catch fan, so this could have been GREAT. Instead, I was left wondering exactly why they just threw... um... how many contestants?... on Crab Boats... I guess just to see them foul up?

But I only saw 45 minutes of it (was on the phone the last 15 minutes), so it's prolly my fault for not 'catching' on.

Posted by LostAddict on 08-26-08 at 02:21 PM
I liked it. Probably more on the premise of the show than the actual show. I do wish they would have introduced the contestants though. I want someone to root for (and it's definitely not going to be any of those in the bottom 4).

Oh, and at the end they did say that the winner will receive the combined salaries of all the jobs they complete, which could end up being a hefty sum.

Posted by Dianimal59 on 08-26-08 at 05:24 PM
I enjoyed also. I do wish they had introduced the contestants, though. And I was happy to see that the 2 best were women. I didn't care for the guy who was complaining that the women were judged differently. I didn't see him doing much?

Prize $$ per Lost Addict:
"Oh, and at the end they did say that the winner will receive the combined salaries of all the jobs they complete, which could end up being a hefty sum."

Yes, the host stated that a first year crab boat crewman earned about $30,000 and that amount would be added to the pot. Maybe I mis-heard him re. the first 'year', but as an avid watcher of Deadliest Catch, I believe that would be the earnings of a greenhorn's first 'season'.

I'm wondering though, why the first of the 'Toughest Jobs' would be the one that's regardest as the most dangerous job on earth. Probably because they didn't actually send contestants out in the real season, with 30-50 swells, snow, ice, etc.

Looking forward to the other jobs.

Posted by mrc on 08-27-08 at 11:50 AM
Having watched TDC for a while, these contestants got off easy. The air temp was hovering around freezing, and the waves were like those in a pool.

A SHARper Image

Posted by LostAddict on 08-27-08 at 03:43 PM
I may have to go back and watch what they actually said, but I thought he said the contestants would earn what their jobs paid annually. But then I do remember him saying that the crab job was $30,000 a season. Hmmm... I'll have to go back and see.

Posted by mindy23 on 09-02-08 at 10:19 AM
It's combining the first year of each job. Crab fishing: 29K (and some change); ice road trucking, 30K (+ change). Add that with whatever else they are going to be experiencing throughout the series. That is what I got out of it, anyway. And I think that's the correct equasion.

Enjoyed last night's episode, but was SO bummed that it was the girl, and not Nick that was sent home. New York Nick needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut!! Too bad there were people there to pick him up right away-he could have learned a much better lesson walking in 17 degrees for a little longer, don't you think???

Posted by LostAddict on 09-02-08 at 11:21 AM
Yep, I agree. I think they should have said, "you know Nick, even though you finished before her, you need to go." But nope. We have to deal with the attitude yet another week.

There is no way the ice road truckers only make 30K a year. A trucker with a regular route in the US makes more than that. Much more than that if they want.

Posted by mindy23 on 09-09-08 at 09:38 AM
OK, First of all, I am calling Chris, "Nick", and his name is CHRIS. Wanted to clear that up. Realized that last night when they were digging in the freezing cold waters off of Girwood, Alaska.

Second, it IS Girwood, not GirDwood-been there, done that! My daughter & Fam. live in Anchorage, so been in that little area, though not the mine. And I can tell ya, even in August, there IS snow on the ground, and that water is WAYYYYYYYYYY too cold for the human body to stay in it for any length of time!!

I have to give GIANT kudos to all those men and women who hung out in that freezing cold water for an accululative 24 hours, not to mention the 4 who went ALL night! For what? $40/each?? That, my friend, is what they call 'gold fever'. And why not so many of us have it any more....

I was hoping that Bryce would be the one to go, but wouldn't ya know? It was Trucker Phil who got the boot. But not to worry-he took up the offer he had on the other job-which would be, TRUCKING! Best of luck to ya, Phil, and hope to see ya on Ice Road Truckers next year!!

Next week they are heading to the lower 48, but for what, I'm not sure. Riding bulls? Logging? We'll just have ta wait and see.......

"RE: 9-26-08 Holy Cow and That ain't no BULL!!!"
Posted by mindy23 on 09-27-08 at 10:07 AM
OK. I have to say anyone who would stand in front of a 1500 pound ANYTHING has to be freaking out of their mind! EVEN for 200K!

And this episode proved that all of the contestants left were pretty much out of their mind, with the exception of Rie (why do they call her LEA??), who had an injury and spoke up right away about, well, standing in front of a 1500 pound raging bull!

Although she eventually DID do just that, it was not up to the judges' standards, and she had to do a showdown with college boy, who has been in the bottom 4 now, what? Every. single. time? No, I think just the last 4 out of 5 competitions.

In any case, having all their family members, and Sandra's 'wifey' DID give the added boost they all needed-kudos to Sandra and Rammel, who both suffered painful injuries (badly sprained ankle with the bull right on top of her, and a dislocated shoulder when he tried to 'grab the bull by the horns', literally)!!

In the end, the showdown with Rie, and college boy (his name is blanking on me right now), Rie ended up losing and crying that she did her very best, being the 'ultimate competitor' and all that. In any case, she is back on her way to Florida, where she is hoping to become a model 'again', and trying to regain custody of her daughter. Anyone know what's up with that??? I don't remember hearing, but I'm sure it's nice and juioy!!

Next week, our remaining 7 walk a tight rope on a very high (looks like the Golden Gate) bridge. Good luck with that!

"Who will win?"
Posted by mrc on 10-21-08 at 11:16 AM
These jobs have been pretty frickin' tough. Sandy has been the most outspoken performer, but IIRC, Michaela is the only one who has not been in the bottom 4/2. While the winning edit seems to go to Sandy, I'm predicting Michaela.

I've been Mooned!

"RE: Who will win?"
Posted by LostAddict on 10-21-08 at 12:15 PM
I think it could be any of the 4 remaining. Stephen is the least likely, but I think it could be any of the others.

Posted by realitycoholic on 10-27-08 at 10:51 AM
Did I miss the finale? Last episode was, uh, logging I think. My DVR hasn't recorded any more and I don't see any on the horizon. Anyone know what's up with that?

I do enjoy this show and there's no way I'd ever try out for it!

**Work of arzt by PhoenixMons**

Posted by LostAddict on 10-27-08 at 01:06 PM
Finale was on Saturday night. They did the bull-thing (money the hard way, from what my husband called it), oil-rigging, & logging.

Sandy & Makayla got hurt by the bull. Makayla went out then. She had a kneck injury. Sandy acutally hurt herself worse after when she got mad and punched the chute. She broke a finger.

Next they did oil-rigging. Sandy had a hard time in her cast so ended up going home.

Last it was Stephen & dreds-guy (why can't I remember his name) logging. The dreds-guy won. Took home the whole thing. I think it was $298,000.

All 4 got a 2009 Dodge Ram truck.

Posted by mrc on 10-27-08 at 01:34 PM
Ben won.

I've been Mooned!

Posted by BOYmeetsREALITY on 11-09-08 at 05:31 PM
I saw only the final episode of this thing.

That was enough.

Posted by realitycoholic on 11-14-08 at 06:57 PM
Thanks for the summary. I'm glad Ben won. I liked his laid-back, can-do attitude. Why can I not remember who Makayla is? Is she the recruiter? Who went back to their same job and who ended up changing jobs after the show? If anyone remembers, I'd appreciate a recap. Seeing what they all choose to do after the show is interesting.

**Work of arzt by PhoenixMons**

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 09:55 AM
The name realitycoholic just rolls off the tongue.