URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 197
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"

Posted by qwertypie on 05-10-10 at 06:24 PM
I just couldn't resist adding this recipe, as I thought it went great with Weltek's jerk chicken/pork recipe (even though it is 'Thai' inspired) and helped me use up some of the extra ingredients (ie the haberno pepper) I didn't completely use.

The nice thing about this salad is that it uses underripe mangos and since the beauties have to travel a LOOOOOONG way to get up this far north, we usually only have the unripe ones in the supermarket.

Ingredients:
4-6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety (they don't have to be super unripe, but you want them to be easily julienneable)
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of red pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of carrot
1/4 cup finely sliced wedges of red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1 TBSP soy sauce *
2 TBSP water *
2-3 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
1-2 tsp sugar
1 small hot green chili, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped***
peanuts (optional)

Serves 6
1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mago. Peel.
2. Carefully cut off several 1/4 ince slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3-4 cups of fruit.
3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. (The amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. You can add additional sugar and lime to taste). Toss the mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate.

*The recipe originally called for 3 TBSP of fish sauce, but I subbed 1 TBSP soy sauce and 2 TBSP of water instead.
*** I had some left over haberno peppers from Welteks recipe, I only used about 1/5 of one, finely minced. It gave heat, but wasn't painful. Proceed with caution!!!! And wear gloves when mincing.

Picture to follow.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Posted by qwertypie on 05-10-10 at 06:33 PM

As you can see here, I forgot to put in the onions. Mr. Qwerty was so sad , but we were already half way to our potluck party. It was still pretty fantastic (and it was a good test run for a party I'm going to bring it later this month where the hostess has onion allergies.)

Posted by CTgirl on 05-10-10 at 08:52 PM
Mango? red pepper? cilantro? mint? lime? What's not to love? These are some of my favorite flavors.

This sounds yummy Qwerty!

Cappy's Springtime

Posted by foonermints on 05-10-10 at 11:36 PM
»Mango? red pepper? cilantro? mint? lime? What's not to love?«

That's what I've been telling people all along.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Tummy on 05-11-10 at 09:16 AM
And we keep agreeing with you!

Posted by foonermints on 05-12-10 at 01:26 AM
*foonersmooch*

Posted by CTgirl on 05-12-10 at 06:10 PM
Did fooner say mint?! Mojitos coming right up!

Posted by foonermints on 05-13-10 at 11:39 PM
CT Girl Chupacabra habla: ¡Adoro las bebidas verdes que se parecen a mí!

Posted by Seana on 05-10-10 at 10:34 PM
Oooo...that looks good. I'll have to pick up some mangoes when I go shopping this week. I guess I'll need cilantro, too, but I have everything else.

Wheel of tribe

Posted by Tummy on 05-11-10 at 09:59 AM
That looks good. It looks like it would be good minced up as a salsa and used as a dip for some sweet potato chips too. I'm hungry!

Posted by qwertypie on 05-11-10 at 11:29 AM
SALSA!!!! *smacks forehead*

Tummy is wicked smart!
I'm am still trying to get the hang of thinking outside the box when it comes to recipes.

Posted by Tummy on 05-11-10 at 11:43 AM
I'm am still trying to get the hang of thinking outside the box when it comes to recipes.

Lol - my mom says the same thing. That she doesn't think outside the box.

For this past weekend's get together I decided to do strawberry shortcake. But instead of serving it over those little sponge cakes I sliced homemade Angelfood cake and then put butter, cinnamon and sugar and toasted the slices. Then I topped it with the strawberries and whipped cream. My mother said she felt like she was eating at a fancy restaraunt and would have never thought of toasting the cake. Yes, we're red-necks.

Posted by weltek on 05-17-10 at 04:58 PM
Mmm, good idea to top with cinnamon and sugar. I have a recipe for chocolate "soup" with angel food croutons. Mmm.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 05-17-10 at 05:44 PM
I think a threadjack is appropriate right now. And who doesn't need a recipe for chocolate soup in their recipe box!

Posted by weltek on 05-18-10 at 10:13 AM
http://www.channel3000.com/food/5569301/detail.html

Liquid Chocolate With Angel Food Croutons
2 cups - 4 servings

This warm dessert soup was inspired by the almost-pudding-thick hot chocolate that my son and I enjoyed in Spain. Prepare this as a special treat for your favorite chocolate-lover. Add coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua) for the adults.

For the croutons

2 cups angel food cake cut into ½-inch cubes

For the soup

2 cups milk (preferably whole or 2 percent), divided
3 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate (see Tip)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua), optional
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Scant pinch of ground cinnamon, or to taste
Pinch of salt, or to taste

To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the cake cubes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast for about 4 minutes, turning once, or until the croutons are crispy and lightly browned on all sides but soft on the inside. (They will become firmer as they cool.)

To make the soup, stir 1 ¾ cup of the milk and the chocolate together in the top pan of a double boiler (see Tips) over simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Stir together the remaining milk and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly as it becomes glossy and smooth and thickens to cake-batter consistency, about 3 minutes.

Add the liqueur (if using), butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; stir until the butter melts. Taste and adjust the flavoring.

Serve the soup warm topped with the croutons.

Advance preparation
This soup will keep for up to 3 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. To reheat, stir gently over medium heat. Store the croutons for up to 2 days in a tightly covered tin at room temperature.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by qwertypie on 05-28-10 at 06:38 PM
Now this is my kind of soup! I think I will have to experiment with kahlua, Baileys, Grand marnier, etc.

Posted by Tummy on 06-02-10 at 09:17 AM
I just saw that you posted this. Thanks! I think I may have to make this.

Posted by samboohoo on 05-13-10 at 10:37 AM
I am totally craving sweet potato chips/fries right now.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by weltek on 05-13-10 at 10:07 AM
Making this on Monday for a potluck!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by weltek on 05-17-10 at 04:57 PM
I had three people request this recipe today!

I should've used more cilantro, since I axed the mint (personal hatred for mint), but otherwise it was great. If you hate cilantro, I think basil would also be good. I used a little soy and a little fish sauce in the dressing.

It was very time consuming to chop the mangos, so beware!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by qwertypie on 05-17-10 at 09:53 PM
I don't know much about mandolins, but I am looking into getting one if it will help with this recipe

Posted by Tummy on 05-18-10 at 08:36 AM
I use my mandolin all the time. I love it. But those Top Chef Masters chefs scare the beejeezus out of me. I would never use it without the little produce holder thingamajig.

If you get one don't put it in the dishwasher, the high heat dulls the blades.

Posted by Seana on 05-20-10 at 10:50 PM
Oh, this was so nice. Cool and refreshing and it went well with the pork we had for dinner that night.

It reminds me of the pineapple-mango salsa that I like so much. *waves to Tummy*

Pineapple-Mango Salsa
(Amounts uncertain - I only make enough for myself for one meal. Ingredients listed in order of how much of each there is.)

pineapple, chopped up into fairly small pieces. Do use fresh.
mango, chopped up into fairly small pieces as well.
red onion, finely chopped
bell pepper (green, red, yellow, orange, whatever), finely chopped
parsley, chopped
hot pepper, finely chopped
lime juice
red wine vinegar

Toss all ingredients together. The pineapple and mango add enough sweetness to balance the lime and vinegar. Great on BBQ'd chicken or pork.

Posted by weltek on 05-21-10 at 11:31 AM
The leftovers were great as a salad (tossed with chopped romaine), by the way. I put a little vinegar in and tossed it up!

-A Tribetastic Creation