URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 197
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Why has Drew and Kevin's popularity tanked?"

Posted by debar on 11-15-01 at 02:16 PM
On the official TEA website (cbs.com/amazingrace), Drew and Kevin had been out in front in the popularity poll (89% -- better than Pres. Bush). All of a sudden, this week, they dropped down to 53% - lower than Pat and Brenda.

These guys are tops with me. What, did the Guidos (or the lawyers, who I still don't trust), tell all their friends to vote against the Festers? Could this be -- dare I say it -- because they're resentful that the Festers won?!

What do you all think?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Why has Drew and Kevin's popularity tanked?"
Posted by Cole on 11-15-01 at 02:44 PM
I think it's a mistake. The same thing happened to David and Margaretta, they were at 90% one week and then 56% the next, or similar. It was corrected and there was no evidence of the decrease in popularity.

Posted by heymikey on 11-17-01 at 02:55 AM
Umm...I'm not sure if you are really this naive but nobody can't please anybody at the same time. Even Princess Diana and Mother Theresa had their share of critics. Besides, just because you love Kevin and Drew doesn't mean that everybody feels (or should feel) the same way. The entire world doesn't share how you feel and don't expect it to.

Posted by debar on 11-17-01 at 07:28 AM
But everyone did share my feelings, until last week. Then, there was (1) a sudden change of heart, (2) a technical error, or (3) an organized campaign to vote the Festers down.

As for your theory that nobody can please everyone, just remember... nobody doesn't love Sara Lee.

Posted by Loree on 11-17-01 at 03:33 PM
I've never voted on that site. I wouldn't put too much stock in what it says. At different times different fans are going to go crazy voting for their picks.

Posted by zahadumguy on 11-17-01 at 04:52 PM
Well I sure don't think their India experience helped them. They were the true Ugly Americans there.

Also, I'm surprised that their underhanded attempt to help Mom and the Amazing Twins find the fast forward didn't cause much of an upcry on the boards. I guess if you cheat to help a popular team it's okay.

Posted by heymikey on 11-17-01 at 10:19 PM
>>> I guess if you cheat to help a popular team it's okay.

Yup, it doesn't take a sociologist to figure that one out.

Posted by Whiz on 11-22-01 at 03:30 PM
>Also, I'm surprised that their underhanded
>attempt to help Mom and
>the Amazing Twins find the
>fast forward didn't cause much
>of an upcry on the
>boards. I guess if
>you cheat to help a
>popular team it's okay.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by Fester's actions too regarding the Fast Forward. But what did they really do? It wasn't as if Momily could just take off with the information. They still had to check-out at their appointed time where they were going to get the FF info anyway. The way the show was being run through most of the middle episodes teams were going to be reaching the next tasks at about the same time. There was no unfair advantage they gained.

It was a non-issue. That's why it wasn't discussed.

Posted by zeako on 11-17-01 at 10:08 PM
To drop from 90% all the way down to 53% in one or two weeks is almost unfathomable. This occured after the poll had been up for over eight weeks. It would take an incredible number of votes to drop their popularity in half(and virtually all would have to be negative votes). This would have made sense after one or two weeks when not many votes had been cast but after eight weeks? It would be like Bush holding 55% of the popular vote before the Hawaii votes are counted. Wow look at that, Hawaii has pushed his popular vote down to 50%!?

The math here is quite puzzling.

Posted by heymikey on 11-17-01 at 10:17 PM
>>> To drop from 90% all the way down to 53% in one or two weeks is almost unfathomable

Such drastic changes in the CBS polls is possible. If you've watched Big Brother 2, Will's popularity jumped from 18% (which is comparable to the Guido's popularity) to 81%. Besides, these polls are not scientific (isn't it obvious?) so I don't think you can compare the CBS poll to the presidential poll.

Posted by zeako on 11-18-01 at 07:13 PM
While I certainly don't take everything the CBS propaganda machine puts out as the indisputable truth, a simple online poll seems like something that would be easy to get right.

"these polls are not scientific"
It is my understanding that the website takes the number of positive votes and divides it by the total number of votes to get the popularity. Are you telling me CBS fudges the numbers in these popularity polls? If so why the dip in the Jerky Boys popularity?

Posted by mark grace on 11-18-01 at 07:50 PM
kevin and drew are gentlemen the amount of times they have helped other teams with plane tickets and train tickets is amzing but the Frats now know that they are near the end and they can't give away things even to their friends..

Notice how they said we can't help them find the card. The Frats now know that helping someone else will now damage there chances of winning the whole race.

They are nice but like every other team they are competitive.

Go Frats make sure you keep the competitve edge and make sure Guido doesn't pass you.... MAKE SURE...

Posted by Cole on 11-19-01 at 11:28 AM
Lately I've noticed that people around here are getting so disrespectful and downright rude towards other people's opinions. We all have our favorite contestants and our disliked contestants. No one expects everyone to agree with everyone, but there's such bitterness in some people's posts lately. I guess the good thing about this is that it shows viewers are very passionate about their teams, and whatever can be done to build up interest in the show is great.

I agree with the above posters in that there is NO WAY this late in the game that popularity can be adjusted that drastically. Will's popularity increased over a long period of time, almost two months. Early on, his popularity tanked because there were very few votes cast. With the Festers, after 2 months, it is mathematically improbable. The score is an average of the rating, i.e. a 90% rating means that the average click for the Festers was a "9". Therefore, assume that 1000 votes have been cast to date for the Festers. They had an average of a 9, which means that 1000 x 9 = 9000 "points". In order to get down to 50%, there would have had to been cast another 1000 votes with a score of "1", because then they have 2000 votes and 10000 points, with an average score of 5. Plus, this assumes that only 1,000 votes have been cast, there may be many more. To have as many votes cast in one week as in 2 months seems highly unlikely. So I think this is a mistake which will be corrected. The grandparents had the same error and it was fixed.

Debar, I agree, many many people share your feelings about the Festers and the same was true of the grandparents. Zahadum, I disagree with you that they "cheated" by telling Momily about the fast forward. There's nothing that says teams cannot work together. Momily cannot leave until their appointed time anyhow. The Lawyers tried to get Frangarita to read out the clue early as well when they were in France.

Posted by sleeeve on 11-19-01 at 10:32 PM
>Lately I've noticed that people around
>here are getting so disrespectful
>and downright rude towards other
>people's opinions.

I did not see anything rude or disrespectful in the post you replied to... however if you find a post to be extremely rude and/or disrespectful, feel free to use the "Alert" feature to notify the moderators about the problem.

>With the Festers, after 2
>months, it is mathematically improbable.

Actually, the poll is reset every single episode... therefore, there is no long-term average. For example, if the Festers do well in an episode, you'd expect to see a high score during the next week... if they do poorly or are offensive, they would likely have a lower score... The sudden drop reflects the opinions of a fickle audience, not a CBS conspiracy.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Posted by katem on 11-19-01 at 07:11 PM
First of all, my experiences with the official TAR CBS site has been pretty bad, full of technical difficulties, too many for me to start counting now, so I would not be at all surprised if the popularity percentages are way off. It has to be a mistake.

As for the Festers, even though I respect everyone's opinion and can understand it (they seem like very decent and kind guys), personally, after a while they grate on my nerves, almost as much as Crazy Man does. But I will agree that they deserve to win more than the Guidos do.

Posted by pokey on 11-22-01 at 10:10 AM
their popularity looks like it was a typo since the chart now shows them staying up in the 70-90 range all the way through. Karyn and Lenny's population has nosedived.. big surprise.. not!