URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1953
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Missing The Amazing Race?"

Posted by Estee on 07-23-08 at 06:36 PM
Someone at the Golf Channel misses it more than you, because they completely and utterly ripped it off, then named the result Highway 18 and hoped Jerry Bruckheimer wouldn't notice. Because if he ever catches on that this thing exists, he'd going to wind up owning the Golf Channel. But there's even worse news than that...

...it's good.

Picture this: five teams of two, each with a pre-existing relationship, from playing buddies through best friends, with a brother-sister combo, a father-son, and gawds help us all, a pair of blondes named Ashley and Ashleigh. Golfers, every one.

They're racing to complete a thousand-mile course over several legs, knowing that the last team to cross each finish line and grab a golf ball may be eliminated. At each stop, they have to complete challenges. They may have to find the answers to golf history trivia. They could run into famous players. They'll definitely be traveling to some of the country's best-known courses, and they'll going to have to play them.

In between? Traffic jams, navigation problems, ongoing arguments, the potential crash/solidification of relationships et. all.

And the directions? Come from 'clue packs'.

But somehow, it works. It feels like TAR -- very early TAR. (There are a lot of shots where finding the camera operators isn't even remotely a challenge.) They're not playing for that much, as prizes go: fifty thousand airline miles, a full selection of Titleist golf equipment plus a year's supply of balls, and $50,000 to split. But -- they love their golf. They're not pros, so the playing challenges are challenges. And because it's the Golf Channel, they give off the impression that they're not doing this to become media DAWs: they're doing this because it means win or lose, they might get to play TPC Sawgrass. After all these years on the TAR course, it almost feels like there's something innocent about that. Even with the usual attempts to find shortcuts, look for tricks, and what hasn't been a taxi problem yet 'cause we haven't had any, this feels fresh.

Highway 18. The Golf Channel's motto for it is 'Slow play is not an option.'

For me, neither is missing the second episode. New airings Tuesday nights at 10 p.m. EDT, repeats throughout the week. Check your provider to see if you get the channel.

Main page: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/highway18/
Airtime schedule: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=23852&select=204#

I haven't felt this good about a total ripoff in a long time.

'An alternate shot format is a challenge that both of you have to complete. One after the other after the other after the other...'

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Missing The Amazing Race?"
Posted by vince3 on 07-23-08 at 07:11 PM
....and if you do not get par or better on the Challenge Hole (of your semi-choice), then you must complete the hole before replaying it again (and again, and again, and again.....)

I also like the fact that they had a pitch challenge (with only 1 shot to complete), and for those that fail they had to go to a specific putting green before they were granted access to the Golf Hall of Fame.......

Posted by Bebo on 07-23-08 at 08:30 PM
http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3240693/

Story about the local boys in the competition.

Posted by Estee on 07-24-08 at 08:22 AM
It doesn't feel like the newspaper was very impressed.

At least now we know the series' duration -- ten episodes. And if the total thousand miles covers St. Augustine to Key West across that time span, we're looking at some very short legs. No all-night hauls for this group -- although they might have to get to some courses around three in the morning if they want an early place in line.

"Travel issues."
Posted by Estee on 07-24-08 at 08:36 AM
A thousand miles was already a tiny amount for a race course, but knowing where the finish line is makes it even worse: it's about 480 miles from their current location to Key West. This means they're pretty much stuck in Florida: there aren't enough spare miles left to reach major courses outside the state. (Hitting Augusta National would mean about 600 miles round-trip.) So get used to the overall climate: it's not going to change much. It does mean we can take some pretty good guesses as to where they're going, though -- there's only so many golf-important locations they can get to.

It's a first season. If they somehow get to a second one, they may be able to expand their range. They'll pretty much have to. At the very least, they'd have to leave Florida.

"Bummer...."
Posted by bullzeye on 07-26-08 at 10:31 AM
....my cable company has deemed the Golf channel a Premium Channel and has removed it from my package. I now miss a lot of event coverage, the post round interviews and "The Big Break", which I used to really enjoy.

I hate my cable company.

Chiseled by Abman Agman!

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 07-27-08 at 02:04 PM
Just lovely. Now this means that TAR has to stop in Japan or Seattle, and a Roadblock will consist of playing a round of Wii Golf. The leg will be sponsored by Nintendo, and the producers will insist it's totally original.

Note to self: Scratch that Wii Golf challenge from TAR Expedition. Additional note to self: Finish Episode 10.

Posted by vince3 on 07-30-08 at 10:23 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-30-08 AT 10:27 AM (EST)

Ok. I finally saw the end of the first episode. Apparently, this competition is double-elimination. If you finish last in any leg, you get a strike. Two strikes and you're out.

That explains why there's 9 legs (maximum possible) for 5 teams...... If everyone ends up getting a strike at one point or another, it'll take that many legs to eliminate everyone but the winner.........

Probably the reason there's 10 episodes is that either one leg takes up two episodes........ or there's a recap episode.

"Episode #2"
Posted by Estee on 07-30-08 at 10:32 AM
Well, so much for my carefully-calculated mileage/destination theories: they're moving them between legs.

No prize for coming in second? Ouch. Most competition shows at least give you the gas money back. (Or was that metaphorical? No, it's the Golf Channel: they could be exactly that broke...)

Are all blonde teams on reality shows taken out of the exact same mold? 'Get in front of that car and drive really, really slowly -- please?' At least they didn't whine about how cruel karma had been to them when they came in last. So far, this has been a pretty mature group. So far.

And yeah -- who ever thought you'd need to put in more practice on that football stadium shot?

"Episode 3"
Posted by vince3 on 08-13-08 at 00:23 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-13-08 AT 02:44 AM (EST)

The teams started at a horse racing track in Ocala. They had to hit a target beyond the first turn that was still on the track. The track was a sandy dirt track, so when the balls landed, they mostly cratered, and went nowhere.......

The next clue took the teams to Daytona. One person had to shoot 3 balls at a car on the infield, and then the other took laps in a NASCAR car. The rider starts with 4 laps, and each ball that hit the infield car reduces that by a lap.

Afterwards they went to the LPGA International golf course. All teams had to play stoke play on the same 2 holes: a par 5 and a par 4. This time the teams not in first got a penalty stroke for each position out of first. There was a tie for first and a tie for last after the holes were played. Both ties were broken by the order of finish arriving at that course.

This leg ended up being a Super Leg!

The winners? Get to take the 2nd half of the leg off!

Last Place? Have a time penalty to deal with. No strikes were dealt, though.

"Finally"
Posted by vince3 on 09-11-08 at 10:21 PM
It took 7 episodes, containing 2 Super Legs, both won by Raul and Jameca (they're the ones that got the first strike....) but we finally got an elimination.

Andy and Parker are gone

Rob and Charlotte is the only team without a strike.

"RE: Finally"
Posted by Bebo on 09-12-08 at 09:59 AM
Dang it! They're my local boys.

Posted by vince3 on 09-16-08 at 11:05 PM
Raul and Jameica are the 2nd team eliminated.

It was a Trump-themed episode. After having to chip a ball into an airboat in a swampland, they got a clue directing them to one of Trump's courses. This one had a croquet setup near the front lawn, 2 identical courses for the teams. The arrival time plus the playing time of the course determined their departure time. Then, the went to Trump International where it was a Par 3 challenge. All of the eligible hole were converted into par 3's (if they weren't already one) with equal distance.

Raul and Jameica were the first ones there and chose the closest hole, the 18th, but Jameica ended up taking four attempts to complete the hole, and that was their downfall.......

Next week they're heading to Doral.

Posted by Estee on 09-17-08 at 10:05 AM
I was almost surprised Donald didn't show up, but then I remembered his appearance fee is about twenty times the budget of the entire show.

Three things jumped out at me from this episode.

1. The innocence of the camera work (especially as compared to TAR) is very appealing. When Raul & Jameica were running up to confirm their last-place finish, you could just see the other teams hiding around the corner...

2. Golf. Is. Hard. That's an easy thing to forget when you watch pure professionals grinding their way around the course every few weeks. Watching our semi-amateurs getting repeatedly blitzed by Par-3 holes is a very rude reminder.

3. Geez, there's a lot of golf courses in Florida...

Posted by vince3 on 09-27-08 at 12:41 PM
One episode now remains.

Y'know considering that it was known that there was only 10 episodes and it took until episode 7 to eliminate a team, I'm not surprised that Rob and Charlotte are in the Final 2, since they never got a strike (the only time they finished last was on a Super Leg.....) The other team? The Ashleys.

Jay and Peach were eliminated. They had to play a better ball hole at Doral. They were assigned holes. Upon departure they went to Shell World in Key Largo, where Andy and Parker told them to look for a special type of shell, where a SkyCaddie awaited them......

They then went to the Sombrero C.C. which was in the Keys. They had to use the SkyCaddie to find a clue box (an empty ball box with a note inside assigning them their holes) They got two holes, Scramble format, birdie or better.

Jay wiped out when they left Doral. He wrapped up his right forearm, but it got tighter and tighter, so he had to go to an orthopedic hospital, where he got a sling..... (and some medicine, I think.....) They never recovered from the waiting time in the hospital and Jay having to play with only his left arm.........

Tuesday is the Season Finale, so I imagine the strikes system is eliminated and the first team to the Finish Line is the first winner of Highway 18 (will they be the only one, though? Time will tell......)

"Also"
Posted by vince3 on 09-27-08 at 12:50 PM
In that timeslot the following Tuesday: October 7, is Big Break X: Michigan, in which there are 8 teams and like TAR and Highway 18, they're pre-existing relationships..........

"I kinda liked it"
Posted by realitybites on 10-01-08 at 10:53 AM
Back from exile to say that I kinda liked this silly show. As mentioned earlier, it felt much like the early seasons of TAR. I hope it's renewed for another season.

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 09:53 AM
50,000 airline miles? Where do I sign up?