URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 195
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC - Pesto Pasta with Chicken and Shrimp"

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-14-10 at 11:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-10 AT 06:48 AM (EST)

One of my favourites to serve when we have guests or simply feel like feeling like we want to be in a gourmet-y mood.

This is a recipe that is pretty easy to make, and depending on how fresh the pesto is, can really pop on the tastebuds. Best of all, it's not a 'fattening' recipe.

For this one, I used fresh pasta and pesto from the gourmet section of the store to save time (have included a make-your-own pesto recipe at the bottom if you want to go that route, it just takes longer). I also added shrimp for extra flavour - you can easily delete this from the recipe if you don't like shrimp or are not in the mood for it. Wine is entirely an option, I added it for extra 'pop'.

Enjoy!

ETA: I guess it shows that I've had a long day as I neglected to add in a couple of items to the list of ingredients... I've also added the fresh pesto recipe below.

Ingredients

(note, I often just 'eyeball' the measurements instead of being exact)

1. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
(yes, do make sure the shrimp doesn't touch the area where the chicken has been sliced up on the cutting board to avoid cross-contamination)

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente, then drain. Time can vary depending on the type of pasta you choose. You don't want mushy, overcooked pasta, so keep an eye on it.

I usually time it so that I put in the chicken into the skillet when there's about 4 minutes or so left before the pasta is ready.

3. Heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until tender, then stir in chicken. Sprinkle some herbes de Provence into the mixture. Cook until chicken is golden, and cooked through.

I add some white wine about halfway through the cooking process (after I've flipped the chicken over to make sure both sides are on the way to being browned)

4. Add shrimp after you add in the wine. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

5. Turn heat off. In the skillet, combine pasta, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto. Toss to coat evenly. Serve.

This recipe serves 4 normal portions - or if you're hungry like Pene and I were, two servings with seconds.

Fresh Pesto recipe

With work and four kids to deal with, I often don't feel like spending the extra time to whip up some fresh pesto from scratch. But if you've got time and/or are feeling adventurous, try making this instead of buying a jar from the store. The flavour is often better when made fresh.

- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup olive oil (I sometimes top up to 3/4 cup)
- salt and ground black pepper (season to taste)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese

In a food processor, add the already-peeled garlic and put in a dash of salt and the pine nuts. Once broken up, add the basil leaves and blend until it is a paste.

Gradually add the olive oil, bit by bit, until the mixture is creamy and thick.

Beat in the butter and season with ground black pepper if you wish (it adds a nice kick, imho). Beat in the cheese.

Store the pesto sauce in a jar with a layer of olive oil on top to exclude air in the refrigerator until needed.

Enjoy.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC - Pesto Pasta with Chicken and Shrimp"
Posted by qwertypie on 05-14-10 at 11:19 PM
Wow --this looks totally delish! Can't wait to try it.

Posted by frodis on 05-14-10 at 11:26 PM
Did you use the Herbes de Provence? Or is that just in the picture so it looks extra fancy?

(I love Penzey's spices.)

Looks delicious, Pepe, and easy! Can't wait to try it.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-15-10 at 06:50 AM
Good eye! Yup it's herbes de Provence from Penzey's Spices ... and I neglected to add it to my list of ingredients above. It's now edited in.

Posted by frisky on 05-15-10 at 03:41 AM
Wow, Pepe, that looks good!

Question: When you combine the chicken with the pasta, do you toss in the pan juices as well, or drain the chicken first?

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-15-10 at 06:52 AM
I leave the juices in the pan as long as the chicken is fresh. I cook the chicken with the wine and herbes de Provence so I get the fullest flavour by leaving everything as is when I add in the pasta.

Posted by zazzy on 05-15-10 at 10:25 AM
This looks delicious!

What type of pans do you use? Do you recommend them? And can they be put in the dishwasher or do they have to be hand washed?

Posted by frisky on 05-15-10 at 01:40 PM
I noticed the nice pans, too! And the stovetop! *waves to Tummy* And the countertop is lovely! That's it. I want Pepe's kitchen. Pepe, will you and Pene adopt me? A little stripe of white paint down the back and I'll be good to go!

Perpetual *headbutt* compliments of Rolly.

I hate my kitchen. Oh my gawd I hate my kitchen so much. Hate.Hate.Hate.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-16-10 at 11:20 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-10 AT 11:21 AM (EST)

My wife is an Everyday Style consultant - I think it's only in Canada, though, but I'm sure there's something similar to that in the U.S.

Almost all of our stuff in the kitchen is from Everyday Style. You can see the pots here on this link - hover your mouse over the pic of the pots.

The pots should not be washed in the dishwasher, we wash by hand in the sink so they last longer. No harsh scrubbers, a simple washcloth is enough to clean them as they're coated with teflon. While cooking, we only use the silicone spatulas so the pots don't get scratched either.

Posted by Tummy on 05-15-10 at 12:00 PM
This looks sooo good. And I love your stovetop!

Posted by Seana on 05-16-10 at 11:47 AM
I can't wait to try this, it looks really good!

Wheel of tribe

Posted by tallgirl on 05-16-10 at 09:41 PM
I notice you drink Naked Grape wines too. I like the merlot. Where did you purchase the spice as I don't already have that one.

Thanks!

Posted by qwertypie on 05-17-10 at 02:12 AM
I actually found herbe provence at Safeway (McCormick brand). I was very surprised, I had never heard of it before.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-17-10 at 07:35 AM
Yeah they have it from McCormick, not sure if there are any other brands out there that carry herbes de Provence.

I was in the U.S. last year when we saw a Penzey's Spices store, and I was intrigued that there was actually a spices-only store so we went in there. Ended up with a nice little loot to bring back home.

Posted by qwertypie on 05-17-10 at 02:20 AM
This was incredible (and a big thumbs up from Mama Qwerty who was over for the Survival finale).

I decided to make the pesto from scratch and almost passed out from sticker shock when I picked out a package of pine nuts. I guess I now know why jarred pesto is often made with cashews. instead.

The only wrinkle was the lid came off the herbe province, so I suddenly had ALOT of it in the pan. I lost some of the garlic when I scraped the extra spice off the chicken, but it was still very yummy. We all had seconds and some of us had thirds.

Thanks so much, this is definitely a recipe I will try again.

Posted by Starshine on 05-17-10 at 11:48 AM
Yes about those Cashew nuts, I had to check so many different varieties of pesto until I found one without cashews in it.

Tonight I discover if I am allergic to pine nuts!

Damn new sig a little too large

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by qwertypie on 05-17-10 at 01:27 PM
Hopefully will be OK -- I can't handle cashews either, but am OK with pine nuts.

Posted by weltek on 05-17-10 at 09:31 AM
Butter in the pesto...interesting. Butter makes everything better, so I can't imagine this is a bad thing.

I think I'll make this on a weekend when I feel like making homemade fettucini. It looks really rich and yummy.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by samboohoo on 05-17-10 at 10:23 AM
Looks good. I have been out of the loop for several recipes due to busier than normal life. I bought stuff for this yesterday and plan to get back into it. I need to catch up and will likely do things out of order.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by MKitty on 05-17-10 at 11:43 AM
Holy cow..that looks amazing Pepe!! I am so making that!!

Summarized by the Capn!

Posted by Starshine on 05-17-10 at 04:49 PM
No Allergy to pine nuts

I liked this, although my complete inability to mix pasta and sauces came into play. The sun-dried tomatoes added a wonderful flavour, and the tapenade really gave a wonderful flavour.

Thanks Pepe

Sunning with the Cap'n

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by samboohoo on 05-20-10 at 08:48 AM
I made this last night and will admit to cheating. I used the fresh pasta and pesto from the store as well - Buitoni, I think. In any event, I have never had pesto before, so I was very pleasantly surprised.

I forgot sundried tomatoes but remembered the wine. Even the Mr. liked it. I will post pictures later.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"Mmmmmmmm"
Posted by Snidget on 05-20-10 at 05:57 PM
Happy full Snidget.

Posted by Seana on 05-20-10 at 10:55 PM
Had this for dinner tonight as DH is on afternoons. I bought the pesto. I hadn't had it in years and remembered not liking it, but gave it another shot just in case. I also forgot to get herbes de Provence and I don't have wine. But! I looked up HdeP and discovered that I had several of the spices, so I mixed them up with my mortal and pestle. Yay! I never get to use my mortar and pestle.

So the upshot is that this was great! It was easy too, since I didn't make the pesto from scratch. Thanks, Pepe!

"Had it again..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-22-10 at 07:44 PM
... this time, I chopped up some thin slices of red and green peppers fresh from the farmer's market, and Pene added in some sauteed onions (which I detest) on her plate.

Yum yum.

"Delish!"
Posted by Tummy on 05-26-10 at 10:59 AM
For those of you that have seen The Back-up Plan you'll know what I'm saying when I tell you that after making the pesto I could have been J-Lo in the gorging scene. Well, not that bad but I could bath in this stuff.

Needless to say this was a huge hit. I would like to make it with crab meat and artichokes at sometime. The only thing I wish I done differently is I didn't buy any good crusty bread at the grocers, so I didn't have anything but my finger to get up all the yumminess at the end.

Making of the pesto - I've always wanted to make homemade pesto, if I'd only known how easy it was. And so much better than jarred!

pesto made and waiting

Ready to eat

Seriously Yummy and so easy! Thanks Pepe!

"Next 4 up"
Posted by Tummy on 05-26-10 at 11:10 AM
May 28th - MKitty
June 11th - Mr. T-Kit
June 25th - SilverGirl
July 9th - MC