URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1935
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Baby Borrowers - Social Experiment?"

Posted by rosekiki3 on 06-18-08 at 06:02 PM
Has anyone heard anything on this show on NBC yet? They give babies to teens for a few days at a time to give them a dose of reality. Would you give your baby to teens for something like this?! Or let your teens do it so they abstain from sex? And what about the sake of the baby? I have mixed opinions on it.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Baby_Borrowers/video/#mea=258840

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Baby Borrowers - Social Experiment?"
Posted by sballlvr on 06-21-08 at 03:11 PM
I have heard quite a bit and can't wait to watch it on the 25th. I don't see the harm in having such a show. I'm sure that actual parents were on set and available for their children if need be. I think it could wind up being very educational. Hopefully it will lead to fewer teen pregnancies!

Posted by rosekiki3 on 06-21-08 at 04:12 PM
True - especially after the MA teen pregnancy pact story broke - are you kidding me?! depending on the actual educational value of the show it might not hurt to start showing it in sex ed or parenting classes that high schools have. It's just scary when a teenage girl needs to use motherhood as a personal identifier

Posted by sballlvr on 06-21-08 at 06:40 PM
It definitely wouldn't hurt. The situation in MA is disgusting! The more education, the better!

Posted by riverrocker on 06-22-08 at 11:39 AM
According to a story run in our paper, the parents--as well as medical staff, child advocates, and other 'experts'--were on the set the entire time. Again, according the story, there was only one "incident,"--the child woke up to an 'empty' house because the teenagers had gone outside, but the real parents, etc., were right there to comfort the child.

The situation w/the MA girls is absolutely awful. I hope this show will "educate" some who think it is "cool" to have a baby just to be "in."

Sounds like it could be a real eye-opener to both young people and their parents. I know that many schools have used "surrogate" programs--some with dolls, some with eggs (to show how 'fragile' babies can be)--with success.

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 06-23-08 at 05:08 PM
I watched a bunch of clips at nbc.com and it looks facinating.

Oh how I wish I had something like this when I ws a teeneager. I would NOT have a 16 year old right now. AT 19 I thought I knew EVERYTHING. I cant wait to see the reality check these kids get!

I would let me son do something like this is a second! I worry the cycle of being a teen parent (so far 3 generations) will continue.

Posted by borzelk on 06-24-08 at 01:15 PM
Teen pregnancies are out of control. The more education, the better. Hopefully this show will help.

Posted by Snidget on 06-24-08 at 01:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-24-08 AT 01:53 PM (EST)

Unfortunately for the kids determined to get pregnant I don't think watching this will stop them from believing the fantasy of a child that will love them unconditionally no matter how screwed up they are. Not that these kids treat their parents they way they think their child will treat them, but that's a whole 'nother soapbox.

No amount of information about how hard it is to raise a child from anyone else's perspective will matter.

I mean it is no secret that babies are a lot of work. However they will believe that their baby won't be needy or cry like those babies on TV it will be just like the baby doll of their fantasy all smiles and kisses and poop that smells like roses that will always be fed and happy even if Mommy goes to the bar every night to party with their friends. Nor is it going to stop the only other people get pregnant but I won't no matter what I do fantasies, either.

Some of it is developmental and all you can hope is that the information about life's realities does get to them once they are able to understand it. Some kids can learn from other people's mistakes, but a lot of kids will not believe it until it happens to them. They eventually grow out of that, but enough don't that we will always have problems in society when teens and tweens don't have enough supervision.

I do think it may help a few kids think twice, but I think most of those kids will already be the ones that don't have to make every mistake themselves before the believe.

ETA: If we had the resources to make every 12-13 year old have to feed and diaper a kid for a whole day basically by themselves I think it would work, but people on TV, that is just the editing. Real kids can't possibly be that hard *roll eyes*

Surfkitten summer sig shop 2008 and Dancing with the Tribe!

Posted by mysticwolf on 07-02-08 at 07:40 PM
We're getting storms that are interrupting, but so far, both DH & I are loving it.

The kids are a mix. Some have been together for *WOW* a year-and-a-half and the girl is all ready to have a baby as soon as possible. The guy is doing this to prove to her that she's not ready to have a child at such a young age. Another as been together for 3+ years, they've had relationship issues and are looking at this as a test of themselves with each other. Yet another is a girl who "wants to have babies while I'm young - her guy is already having issues with the cildproof locks. Another has similar backgrounds and both of them want children and think they'll do well because they're both "good with children".

They get brand new houses - that they haven't had to work and pay for. They get a few days of "honeymoon" together before anything starts. The girls get to wear a pregnant suit for a few days before they get their baby. One (I'm good with children so I want to have a baby NOW) is having a meltdown because she's "fat". Her guy is leaving her locked in the bathroom while going to the parenting classes.

They get a pretend baby for a few days. Some deal with it, some not so much.

Coming up, they're gonna get 3 days with a baby, another 3 with a toddler, a few more with a pre-teen, then they get a kid that's a full teen - just like they are. To finish they get to take care of an elder that needs home care. Only fault I can see is that the elder should be part of their home while the kids (pick an age) are still around needing care, too.

Storm's here now, so I dunno how much we'll actually get to watch, but I am sooo enjoying this premise. (Real parents get to watch and can step in to deal with any major issues/breakdowns in care, etc., thankfully.)

A smokeysmom
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." - Baba Dioum

Posted by JessicaRN on 07-03-08 at 05:30 PM
I just watched this and I think it is really interesting and well done. I've actually been pretty impressed with the boys. They seem to have more of a sense of responsibility than the girls and realize that you can't just walk away like 2 of the girls did.

The one girl, Alicia, was just horrible. Hated the baby, hated working and did not hide her bad attitude about it. I would have had a problem if I were that baby's parents. The other kids at least tried, but Alicia not only didn't try, but cussed often and called the baby names.

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 07-05-08 at 11:29 AM
I finally got to watch the show and I loved it!! Oh it was a little horrifying but but facinating.

The girl who refused to go near the babay Alicia? made me ill. As did the girl who refused to tak to her mother.

The funny part is Ive always felt the first 12 months were the easiest. Wait till the screaming babies start talking and walking and running a climbing and saying NO. It only gets harder from here. The previews of the pre teens and teens were hillarious! I cant wait to see how they handle that!!

Posted by Snidget on 07-07-08 at 02:38 PM
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/nbc-urged-cancel-baby-borrowers-due-health-safety-concerns-7381.php

"The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry issued a statement last Wednesday calling for NBC to "pull" The Baby Borrowers due to health and safety concerns it has with the reality show, which separates babies and toddlers from their parents and places them with teenagers for three days. "

Posted by syren on 07-09-08 at 02:48 PM
I like this show. However, the only issues I wished it would have changed was make it more realistic. It, to me, is still way to easy.

Changes:

1. Smaller house. How many teenage families do you know or have seen that start out with the ideal starter house? That right there takes away a big amount of stress I think.

2. The jobs. Where can I get a job being a Sonic type carhop and make $100 cash, everyday?

3. I know some people start out with everything for their kids, but I know that on a realistic level sometimes you have to make due. So many toys and things!!!

Other than that I love the show. I just think that they could have been more realistic in how they presented living with children to the teens.

Posted by gypsyvixen on 07-11-08 at 12:07 PM
It's sad how much teen pregnancy there is these days. And all too often, the mothers end up bearing the majority of the responsibility. I saw a preview about a dating show for single moms on TLC called "Must Love Kids" that looks good. I love The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, and throwing kids into the mix will be interesting. And there won't be AS much screaming and obnoxiousness as we see on "Baby Borrowers." Yikes... gives me a headache watching that show!

Posted by lollipopqueen on 07-16-08 at 01:58 PM
This show is terrible- of course the babies and kids are going to act up because they're separated from their parents for three days and placed with total strangers. What young kid is NOT going to freak out?? It is good that these teens are seeing what it's like to have a kid, but it's not like their life is going to be exactly like that when they do have a kid... so it's not exactly "birth control" as they say. I think everyone has the tendency to think "well I will be different, I won't let my kid be X,Y,Z" or "I'll be a great parent because X,Y,Z." I don't know, I just think the show is a little TOO out there, and the psychological effects on the kids could be bad.

Posted by Lasann on 07-16-08 at 09:53 PM
I'm facinated with the show. Both that and horrified.

That little girl tonight (the oldest sister) was evil. The mother needs to do something with her.

Heaven on Earth! That’s me lying on the beach *giggle*

Posted by Molaholic on 07-17-08 at 04:21 PM
I had to laugh at the show tonight (the repeat of the toddlers ep) when they let a not-quite-potty-trained boy play on the couch naked, and SURPRISE! now you've got a puddle.

Also -- the producers are evil. First they set up a mob sleep-over with no chance to plan (as one real mom said, "never in a million years would I have nine kids over for a sleep-over!") Then, they bring in long-lost friends to split up the "alone time" couples.

Next week -- teens.

I wonder how many of the "kids" will try to hook-up with their "parent"?

"RE: Baby Borrowers - The Elderly"
Posted by JessicaRN on 07-31-08 at 09:36 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-08 AT 09:37 AM (EST)

I loved this final episode. It seems like each elderly person was chosen for the specific home. I had tears in my eyes when they had the couple together who had been married for 60 some years. And when they went to the cemetary, it was very sad. Also, the feisty woman who was paired with Morgan was great. I have to say that Morgan has surprised and impressed me as the weeks went on. Actually, the teens that I started out disliking all kind of grew on me.

"RE: Baby Borrowers - The Elderly"
Posted by Puffy on 08-01-08 at 01:21 AM

I agree. The episode with the elderly people was terrific. The teens were much better with them than I thought they would be. I liked when Cory was riding the old guy's bike. Very sad to see the ending; the show was dedicated to the memory of Reggie.

Surfkitten Siggie Shop
2007,thanks to Smokeysmom

"Gee who saw this coming?"
Posted by Snidget on 08-01-08 at 09:45 AM
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/baby-borrowers-couples-dont-want-kids-all-broke-up-after-filming-7571.php

Posted by Agman2 on 03-11-16 at 04:20 PM
Not social experiment, FAILED experiment.

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 02:33 PM
I think the name Baby Borrowers should have been enough to kill it.