URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 192
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Kimberley and her hair"

Posted by PhoenixMons on 05-08-03 at 01:06 PM
You know, I keep reading posts and hearing people talk about how great it is that Kimberley straightened her "crazy" (or any other like word) hair. Well, I for one find it offensive that people are commenting on her 'crazy hair' when the only thing "wrong" with her hair is that it's not "white". Her hair looked fabulous from the beginning and now it looks as if someone is trying to bring out the 'white' in her, as if she should be ashamed of her natural hair. Granted she still looks great, but it's sending a message to young biracial and black girls everywhere that you have to have straight hair to be beautiful. I rarely disagree with Simon, but his comments about her hair (a while ago) were upsetting.

I have a biracial (black/white) daughter, so I take these hair comments to heart. My daughter does not have 'crazy hair', she has beautiful hair and I will teach her to appreciate her hair (and everything else about her).

Yes, Kimberley is beautiful with straight hair, but she is beautiful with her natural hair, too (more beautiful, IMO).

And I know the AI board is fanatics/bashers all in one, but I see the hair bashing as more of a bash on a trait of millions of people than of Kimberley herself. Maybe it's just me being paranoid...but it definitely upsets me that people refer to her hair as 'crazy'.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Kimberley and her hair"
Posted by rilond on 05-08-03 at 01:45 PM
I totally agree. Look at the white people/models that's getting this frizzy look. Kims hair is beautiful either way.

I'm out of a biracial marriage and my hair is a little straighter than Kim, but I make it a bit curly at times. I get so many compliments from people asking what did I put in my hair and I tell them nothing. Just wash it and let it go.

Posted by tig_ger on 05-08-03 at 01:54 PM
PhoenixMons,

I'm glad you posted this.

While I think Kimberley's hair looks better straight, I don't think it has much at all to do with making her look more white. I think the straighter hair is more of an updated look. Back in 1988, I would have *killed* to have Kimberley's curly head of hair. Right now, the "crazy" 'do is too circa 1988 for me.

On a side note, personally having stringy long straight hair, I would love to have thick hair like African American people do. The braided style is so cool. When I do anything to my hair, it looks great for all of ten seconds, because it refuses to hold the style.

On a completely different topic than AI, I have heard some ignorant people say that people in interracial marriages should never have children and that is complete crap. Some of the most beautiful and talented people in this world come from multi ethnic backgrounds. Think Halle Berry or Tiger Woods to start the long and distinguished list.

I'm sure your daughter is absolutely beautiful. I think self esteem is so important in little girls and it does my heart good to hear that parents are working so hard to build that in their daughters. I'm not a parent myself, but I applaud you all for all your hard work.

A Kyngsladye Original

Posted by Spidey on 05-10-03 at 10:33 AM
I'm sure your daughter is absolutely beautiful.

I've seen a picture and you are soooo right about this! PM's baby (ok, not a "baby" anymore!) is a stunning little girl!!!

Posted by Bebo on 05-08-03 at 02:04 PM
When I think of the words "crazy hair", I think about what my hair looks like when I've just come inside on a windy day.

I think the more appropriate term that folks are looking for is "styled" vs. "unkempt".

I just looked at Kim's pictures on the Fox website as a reminder, and there are some gorgeous pictures of her where her hair isn't straightened. But there are also some pictures I don't like, because she has her hair just hanging down unstyled and covering up her face. She has such a gorgeous smile and pretty features, and she needs to make sure she's not covering them up with her long hair.

That may be the reason some people prefer the straight look, because her facial features stand out more.

That's her picture from the AI index, and I love it because her hair shows off her pretty face (with attitude!).

Now, with these two pictures, I really like the one on the right because you can see her face. But in the one on the left, she looks like she just rolled out of bed and showed up without trying to fix herself up. That has nothing to do with her natural hair, it has to do with it just hanging there covering up her pretty face.

Lord help me, I sound like my mother..."Get your hair out of your face so we can see how pretty you are..."

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 05-08-03 at 02:57 PM
Phoenix please don't get upset. I don't think the comments are anything but about personal style. I think Kim is beautiful either way but straight brings out her cheekbones more, I think. And I really don't think it's necessarily "white" just like I didn't consider it a racial statement when we were all perming the heck out of our hair back in the 80's and even 90's. Straight is just the fashion right now. Which is a good thing for me with all the American Indian blood flowing through my veins and making my hair stick straight.

(c) 2003 GeorgiaBelle Creations,Inc. All rights reserved
Celebrity Mole PTTE Champion

Posted by managerr on 05-08-03 at 03:11 PM
How the heck is the way she wore her hair in "Heatwave" natural? Her hair as worn in her auditions was fine, the way she styled it up to match her ridiculous outfits in her earlier performance was crazy, her race had nothing to do with it. (My opinion, anyway)

Posted by Q on 05-08-03 at 03:13 PM
Personally, I have liked Kimberly since She first sang with Frenchy.

I liked her with curly hair, I like her with straight hair, I just plain like her.

Now she may not win this competition (I will vote for her again, as I did Wed night, many times), but I will buy a CD of hers if she makes one. I like her soul. I think it shines through her. You can almost hear it in her voice. Its something I can't put my finger on. But I like it. Her voice has personality, its not 100% pure, but has character and interest, IMO.

It is astonishing how foolish humans can be in groups, especially when they follow their leaders without question - States: The Bene Gesserit View. All States Are an Abstraction.

Posted by lilgypsy on 05-08-03 at 03:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 04:23 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-08-03 AT 04:22 PM (EST)

I like Kimberley's hair either way. She is a very classy contestant and that doesn't change with her hair. I agree that Simon's remarks about her hair were a off the wall...but then again that is Simon.....

*edited for spelling...(where is the spell checker when you need one?)

Posted by wildchickenhunter on 05-08-03 at 03:47 PM
May be I am missunderstanding you, but are you saying I am no longer allowed to have an opinion on peoples hair?

Posted by PhoenixMons on 05-08-03 at 04:50 PM
No, that's actually not what I'm saying at all. I'm commenting on the fact that I have heard this (I only used the word 'crazy' because it's the one I've heard most often...) numerous times and I was just frustrated because I think the fact that now everyone says how great her hair looks now (as opposed to her curly hair before) sends a bad message. That's all. Have any opinion you like, I would be the last person to not want someone to have and voice his/her opinion...I just felt compelled to bring it up because, quite frankly, I think most people just don't realize how it ('crazy' or 'weird' or whatever hair) sounds to someone with similar hair.

Sorry if it came across as me being upset by you or anyone else expressing opinions. As I said, I thought I might be overreacting because i hear comments like this ALL the time and they ARE addressing the whole good vs. bad hair debate, a very sore spot for many African Americans.

Hope that makes sense.

Posted by Femme on 05-08-03 at 05:09 PM
Phoenix, I think her hair, when curly, is "crazy" or what have you, but I never considered it to be a black thing. I love her hair when it's straight, but again, I never considered it a white thing.

I think when her hair was curly, there was far, far too much of it. The curl didn't look at all natural; it resembled a bad 80s perm. I would be able to see your point more clearly, I think, if her hair really resembled a black person's hair, but what she had going on was just not something typically found in nature.

Now, if that is her natural curl (and it's not enhanced) then that was just the wrong cut for her. Too heavy and clown-like. If she had opted to have her hair thinned out (something I usually have done as my hair is exceedingly thick, as well) or trimmed into a more flattering arrangment, we would probably all be singing her praises. She instead chose to straighten it, and yes, it's certainly better.

I don't think anyone here is at fault of inadvertant racial remarks because they like Kimberley's hair straight. She *is* part white, and even if she wasn't, I certainly think a straight style on her looks more natural and flattering and lovely than the poufy bouffant she had been sporting. She's has the perfect bone structure, body size, and personality to carry off her new style, and I love it. She wears it with confidence.

I am sure, as I mentioned, that I would probably be praising her hairstyle if she had instead opted to have the curl kept in, but the cut altered. In short, I don't think it's a black and white thing so much as a what look works best for Kimberely thing. The straight hair is much better for her.

Femme

"We are men of action; lies do not become us."

Posted by PhoenixMons on 05-09-03 at 06:27 AM
but what she had going on was just not something typically found in nature

But see her hair is exactly typical of the majority of children of black/white heritage, and that's what I was getting at in my post...not that anyone was making comments that were 'racially' based or meant to be prejudicial. The comments that were being made (and I'm not just talking about here, I'm talking about everywhere) are a sore spot for many biracial (black/white or black/'other') and African American girls. I think the average person would have no idea how much of an issue hair is...the "good hair" vs. "bad hair" thing has been going on for a LONG time. Most black/white children have hair very much like Kimberley's - very tight springy curls, and lots of them. And the reason the comments upset me is because SO many famous African American and biracial (black/white) women are told to straighten their hair in order to be 'beautiful' (and this has nothing to do with straight hair currently being 'in style'), as if their natural hair wasn't 'good enough'. I know there was probably no one here who meant that, but I was merely bringing this up as a matter of principle - to help people understand that it IS offensive to many, many people and the 'hair' issue is one that makes many people cringe (myself included).

I really hope that makes sense, as it's hard for me to put this sort of thing into words so that people who don't have any experience with this will understand.

I will post a separate reply to my initial message to address my 'point' for writing this.

Posted by Femme on 05-09-03 at 10:17 AM
I didn't mean the style, or the curl. I only meant the sheer SIZE of her hair. PM, I really don't think it's a racial thing to compliment someone when they look better.

I'm sorry if some kids feel like social outcasts because their hair doesn't meet society's definition of "pretty." I really, really, really don't see how this is a race issue, though. I mean, my kids have the thinnest, blondest, finest hair. It's always messy and scraggly and they look like two little homeless children no matter my efforts to clean 'em up. They will be made fun of if that persists. I was made fun of for a bad perm once. I think everyone has been made fun of at some point for having a look, style, whatever that wasn't "pretty."

I say AGAIN, Kimberely NEEDED to do something about her overly large hair. More robust women should play to their strengths, and her large 'do merely emphasizes her larger size. She is pretty and sexy now, and she is able to carry that look off without being a slut. Why is that a bad thing?

That people like her hair better a certain way says NOTHING about their definition of what is pretty or not. I grew up with a lot of bi-racial kids, and not all of them had hair as large or as curly as Kimberely's. Her hair was NOT representative of bi-racial hair; it was way, way bigger than anything I've ever seen. She found a style, however that worked.

I see your point, PM. I really do. But, I resent being told that we are all subliminal racists because we only like Kimberely now that she has embraced her "white side." I really don't think that's what it is. If Kimberely had opted instead to maybe just tone down the VOLUME of her hair, but maintain the curl and texture, it probably would have been as big of an improvement. Instead she straightened it, which is perfectly fine as well. It looks pretty. If I like it, I refuse to be made to feel like I am unsympathetic to bi-racial children. I REFUSE.

Femme

Posted by PhoenixMons on 05-09-03 at 11:53 AM
I guess I just don't know how to make my point then because that's not AT ALL what I'm saying, Femme...really and truly.

And honestly I don't think there's anything more I can say to get it across that I'm not saying that anyone who says her hair is weird or crazy or whatever has some deep-seeded or subliminal racism or something. That is just not it at all and I would never assume something like that of anyone I don't know anything about.

But the hair issue is very much a race issue (not saying in the case of Kimberley, but as a whole) - black hair is 'bad hair' and you have to 'fix' black hair.

And believe me I have no problem when someone says they think Kimberley looks better with straight hair. My 'issue' is not with anyone who has an opinion about her hair, it's about the fact that society says her hair isn't good enough the way it is. Not individual people making comments based upon what they think is more attractive. That's just silly and I hoped it wouldn't come across that way. I am not at ALL trying to make you or anyone else out to feel like you are wrong for liking her hair better straight.

Sorry if I upset you Femme. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty...not at all. Now you can believe that or not, but that is truly not my intention. There is just not a way to explain it so that it makes sense. As I said, I know nothing about you or anyone else on here so I could never (and would never) make such a judgment about someone. I was commenting on the idea of straight hair being deemed 'good' and ultra-curly hair being deemed 'bad'. Sorry it was misunderstood and that I worded things so poorly to cause that misunderstanding.

Please don't be mad at me, k

Posted by Femme on 05-10-03 at 08:41 AM
PM, I'm not mad at all (or guilty)!

I do see what you are saying, but I'm only saying that while that may be the case in some instances, here I don't think it really applies. You say, "I was commenting on the idea of straight hair being deemed 'good' and ultra-curly hair being deemed 'bad'."

It's kinda like when people get upset becuase the good guy in a an old western film is wearing a white hat while the bad people are all wearing black hats. I understand that, I can see why that might be upsetting to some. (However, I think they, too, are reaching a bit to make an issue outta nothing. Not to say that you are "making an issue outta nothing.")

I see where you are getting your opinion, and while it might be true that some people prefer their black singers and stars to be a little more "white" (be it with their hairstyle, speech, dress, attitude, whatever) I really don't think that's the case here. I think, more than anything, it boils down to a big girl/skinny girl thing.

But, I really don't want you think that I am upset with you at all. I do hear what you are saying and if I came off at all frustrated with you, I apologize. I think your post has made us all consider your thoughtfully posed question, and while I may not agree with your conclusion, I can see your point and how you got to it. If anything, I appreciate you making me consider a problem that, admittedly, I may never have considered at all.

Femme

Posted by PhoenixMons on 05-09-03 at 06:44 AM

First, an apology to anyone who thought I was trying to silence your opinions. That was never my intention.

The point is this: the message that is sent when someone like Kimberley is told that she should straighten her hair (whether it is meant or not) is that her hair isn't good enough the way it is...her kinky hair isn't beautiful. Most black or black/white biracial people in the 'biz' have straightened their hair (either via perms - perms straighten hair as opposed to curling for African Americans, in case you weren't aware) because that is what is 'beautiful' by society's standards.

I guess it's hard to explain because most people just don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

My own mother is a very open-minded person when it comes to cultural differences (her husband is Mexican), but after my daughter was born, she said "oh I'm so glad she didn't get 'black' hair". That was crushing to me because the chances are more likely than not that my next little girl (if and when I have one) WILL have hair that is far mroe textured and tightly curled than my daughter's and my mother will think it's not as good. My mother is hardly the only one who thinks this way.

I already know that we will have a VERY hard time because my daughter looks white to almost everyone. She has lighter hair than me (mine is reddish brown, hers is kind of dark strawberry blonde), her skin is as light as mine, and people will naturally assume that she is white. The last thing I want is for her to think she is any better than someone with thick, tighly curled hair much like Kimberley's or with darker skin (because of how our society defines beauty). How many black or black/white biracial women who are considered "beautiful" by society's standards have anything but straight hair? Black women are often 'made' to perm their hair because their natural hair isn't "professional" looking. What on earth? I can't tell you how many black women I know who've gone on interviews and have been told "do something about your hair" when it is in it's natural curly state. In fact, most people probaby wouldn't know what a black woman's hair looks like in its natural state because it's not deemed as 'acceptable' in our society. In order to be 'professional' looking or respected, you have to have either straight or non-black looking hair. So black women get perms in their hair because they are told they aren't beautiful and aren't respected in the business world if they don't. As I said, it's hard for someone who isn't exposed to this sort of thing on a regualr basis to understand.

I really can't do much more to explain, so I hope you understand what I'm getting at. Kimberley herself may be partially at fault (I don't know how much 'say' she has in her look at the moment...I imagine not much because she started out with her natural curls), but I think it's moreso the people in charge of her 'image' who are telling America that it's not okay to have 'crazy' hair. Simon reinforced this (I have always agreed with his remarks when they are not personal attacks) and in doing so, sent the message to girls everywhere that in order to be beautiful you have to straighten your hair. That's my only 'beef', not with anyone here...just thought I might be able to shed some light is all.

Posted by true on 05-09-03 at 11:42 AM
As I said, it's hard for someone who isn't exposed to this sort of thing on a regualr basis to understand.

I think I understand your concerns, PM, but I really don't think that is the situation with Kimberly.

Kimberly's huge hairstyle was simply unflattering to her features and figure. I equate it to her early clothing choices. She looked awful in those slinky slip dresses that she wore early on.

Her change in clothing styles gives her a much more attractive appearance on TV. By saying that, I am not slamming overweight people, I'm simply saying that her current clothing choices are more flattering to her figure.

Same with her hair. The big hair style made her look bigger, and it overwhelmed her beautiful face. You couldn't see anything but her hair! She could have chosen to go with a more flattering cut, instead of the straightening, and it would have produced the same results. A more flattering look for Kimberly.

Some people look better with a shorter style, some with a longer style, some with curls, and some with straight. I think it has much more to do with what's flattering to Kimberly as an individual, not a message that everyone has to have straight hair to be considered beautiful, because that is simply not true.

Posted by Bebo on 05-09-03 at 12:12 PM
not a message that everyone has to have straight hair to be considered beautiful, because that is simply not true.

Sigh. One thing that binds us women together, regardless of race, is the quest to find the hairstyle that shows off our individual attributes the best.

I've always envied the girls with any sort of body or curl in their hair, since I have perfectly straight hair. I've tried curling it to see if that would help it, but I'm just not meant to carry off the curly look. Similarly, some people who were born with curls look better with their hair straight.

True's right when she says that's an individual thing. I'm sure we could all easily find pictures of women of all races who wear their hair one way and would probably look better the other.

I had an African-American roommate at camp when I was a teenager, and I was so jealous that she had options how to wear her hair. With my stringy short hair, there were only so many things you could do to make it look pretty. But she had gorgeous hair, and she wore it in a flattering style that really showed off her pretty facial features.

Kim has gorgeous features, and her hair - straight or curled - should highlight that fact. After all, what makes Kimberley Kimberley isn't just her hair, or her stunning smile, or her fantastic voice...it's the whole package inside and out.

Bebo says...919 beats 205 - I am your American Idol and the Baroness of Babedom.

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 05-10-03 at 06:22 AM

I think I understand what you are trying to say, PM.

I have a child with wild curly long hair and I have wanted to straighten it, mainly because, that is the look nowadays. We are caucausian however, and this has nothing to do with race.

I am letting her go with a natural look, but I still think she would look better with straight hair. All of the girls her age seem to have similar looking straight hair, though, and maybe this is her way of being an individual.

She's 13 and I let her choose her own style anyway and help her with product suggestions to control the frizzies. She is starting to play around with her hair and see what she can do to make it look better.

Kimberly, on the other hand, is in a very public forum right now, so her look is important. When she becomes famous, maybe she will change it up and get really crazy hair - like Patti LaBelle, for example.

I do think that women should choose a more natural look when it comes to their hair, but that would probably put a lot of beauty shops out of business.

Just my thoughts.

I haven't been to a beauty shop in years, though, because I do my own hair.

Posted by cyclehausen on 05-09-03 at 09:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-03 AT 09:26 PM (EST)

There are very few people who are born with the hairstyle that makes them look best. Let me say, PM, that I DO see your point and understand your concern. But get a grip.

Where in pop culture do young girls ever get the message that what they are born with is good enough? I don't give a damm what their race is. Pop culture is male-dominated, and women are taught from a young age to want to be something they are not and to throw money at their insecurities.

Did Kim L look good with her frizzy hair while singing "Home?" She looked good. How did she look when she sang "New York State Of Mind?" PHENOMENAL. The fact is, that wearing kinky hair "just out there" is not the style. When you're in the pop eye, you only fight style if you have a lot of nerve and if you look GREAT. Should Kim be faulted for not taking a huge stand for her kinky hair? Not on this show, where every contestant is manicured by the producers. The producers suggested she change her style not only because it went against the grain, but because her old style didn;t look great on her.

Now, kinky hair does look good on a lot of girls. That's why it was such a rage in the 60's-80's. But welcome to the new millenium. It just is not the style. Plus, Kim's face is very, very wide. With her hair up and out, it made her look enormous. SHE looks better with straight hair. Sorry, but she does.

Come on, besides Ruben, who in the top 8 wore their hair "natural?" NOBODY. Do you think Carmen woke up with those waves? Do you think that Kim C didn't spend an hour a day under the iron? I mean, cripes, how much gel do you think CLAY goes through in a week?

I hope that this isn't disappointing for you. I'm going to assume that you have never had your hair done, and all you've ever used is a brush and a water bottle. Otherwise, I really hope you reconsider your beef.

And please, when your future daughter inevitably wants to change her hairstyle, don't take it as an insult to her black heritage, and don't make her feel ashamed. Every girl wants to experiment with her look. "Mother knows best, but baby knows otherwise." It's just a part of parenting.

Edited to note: I just read your latest post, and I agree that it is a tragedy that women who like to sport "kinky" hair (you probably hate that word, but it's succint, and not meant in a negative way) are frced to change it for business purposes. I know several women who wear their hair like that - but they don't wear much of it, and it works better. At the last office I wored at, there was a white woman who had hair literally past her butt. She was management material, but never went into management either because her look wasn't professional. Everyone has to conform to a degree to get what they want in the corporate world. It sucks, but it is.

Posted by Femme on 05-10-03 at 08:44 AM
Wow, cycle, when you get serious, you can make some really insightful comments. *is impressed*

Femme

Posted by Spidey on 05-10-03 at 10:36 AM
OMH! Our psychotic Cycle is smart too! Step back, people! Danger! Danger!

"I be an retarded?"
Posted by cyclehausen on 05-11-03 at 05:14 AM
Oh, c'mon, you know that I can be smart, Femme!

I haven't seemed THAT insane/stupid/childish on the AI board, have I?

(*reflects*)

Oh, hell....

Posted by managerr on 05-13-03 at 06:01 PM
Interestingly enough while looking at old photos of Tamyra Gray over the weekend, I noticed that she changed her hair a lot during the course of the show. She wore it down, wore it up, went curly, then straightened it out at well. The metamorphisis is actually strangely similar to Kimberley Locke's, although she never really had couple weeks of where I thought it was really bad, like Kim L did. (Again, only my opinion)

Posted by TechNoir on 05-16-03 at 02:16 PM
Well done Cycle. I agree totally.

She didn't know beans about style in the beginning, hair or clothes or even how to carry herself. She learned a lot along the way and used it. Good for her.

It isn't always about race.

Posted by tanyafrommd on 05-15-03 at 11:18 AM
The fact is Kimberley looked HORRIBLE earlier on in the show...the hair and the clothes were a mess. Image is everything in that business. She obviously received advice (and free services) from well-known fashion and hair stylists. She looks like someone that went through a fashion makeover (from top to bottom).......and she is probably happier because of it. Race has nothing to do with it......... how many of us would love to have hair stylists and fashion consultants at your fingertips every day for FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberley looks fabulous....now! That curly mop was a mess... it needed styling..... and as a student, she probably didnt have the money to do anything with it.... as most women know...it's very expensive to keep up with the latest fashions (hair and clothes).. but we would all love to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She even looks like she lost weight....but that could be the new wardrobe that was chosen to flatter her figure.

Kimberley was my favorite and I will miss her!!!!!

GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by frisky on 05-16-03 at 04:57 PM
I can assure you that I have the craziest, darkest, biggest, curliest, waviest, thickest pile of hair on this board. Trust me on that. All of my life, my hair has been an issue with many, many people.

In childhood, I was teased because my hair was so huge.

In adolescence, I was tortured. My best friend would wave pictures of me in front of my face as if to enlighten me: "See? See? This is what it looks like! This is what you look like!!" As if I didn't know.

The 80s? Ahh...the 80s. I was a goddess. The 80's were made for me. I was made for the 80s. I heart the 80s. My friends hated my hair even more. I think they were just jealous, because it was the 80s.

Now, I'm a thirty-something professional mom. I still have huge hair, but with age I have learned to tame it a bit. Yes, I straighten it, I highlight it, I put it up, I let it go wild somedays, and I soften it other days. I have learned to make the most of the thickness, the curls, the body, the colour. I've become very good at doing different updo's. My hair changes with my mood. It changes with the weather. It turns heads. I have learned to love my hair in spite of the fact that there are still people who are weirdly obsessed with it.

I've learned to accept my hair the way it is, but that doesn't mean I have to wear it in it's wild, natural state. I've learned to use my hairstyle as an expression of myself, as corny as it sounds. It's like people who get tattoos. Every hairstyle has a story behind it. I don't do the hair for anyone else but me.

I am Causasian, and while I think I know where you're coming from in your post, I could take another angle and get pissed off at your presumption that thick curly hair is a black person's problem. But I won't take that angle, because I'm tired of arguing with people about hair. I've listened to it all of my life.

In my 30's, insults don't bother me anymore, but my hair is still an issue for a lot of people. I'm told that now that I'm getting "old," I should cut my hair because long hair is "not appropriate" for older women. Who gives?

I don't care if you're black, white, green or young, medium, old, fossilized. You wear your hair the way you want. If it feels good, do it. If Simon tells you your hair looks better straight and that makes you feel good, then wear that style more often. If you discover a new cool way to wear your hair and you get more compliments and compliments are important to you and make you feel good, then you go!

Maybe Kim felt weighed down by her hair and the show stylist taught her how to straighten it. I was her age when I learned to straighten my hair. It was new, it had some shock value at the time for people who knew my Hair, and it felt good to do something different for a change. No harm done.

All I really want to say is this: it's just friggin hair. There's a whole person under it and it's her head and she can do whatever she pleases with it. I can't believe what an issue my hair has been all my life when my aunt, who once had hair like mine, spent the last year of her life completely bald from chemo. Makes one wonder.