URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1882
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Scripted!"

Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-21-06 at 09:36 AM
I think this is unique enough to stand on its own, but feel free to lock Bebo if you think otherwise. I mean, Bebo, feel free to lock. I don't think any of us should feel free to lock Bebo.

Courtesy of MJ's Big Blog, here is an Access Hollywood article about the "Taylor forced to choose" incident.

Don't think Taylor picking the "safe" group was of his own accord. During the commercial break, Executive Producer, Nigel Lythgoe, filled Taylor in on the fake-out handshake to Chris Daughtry and which group to choose.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Scripted!"
Posted by Maroonclown on 04-21-06 at 09:44 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-06 AT 10:27 AM (EST)

As I stated in another thread, I knew something was fishy. It just looked too weird. His handshake to Chris was almost one of those fake-out ones.

It's too nerve-wracking up there for the Idols to think that quickly as to which group they will choose. No time for strategy when your future is on the line.

He was told, plain and simple. And probably because they didn't want another George Huffman debacle on thier hands.

arkie spring thing

Posted by nailbone on 04-21-06 at 11:12 AM
George Huff

Sig by Arkie!!

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster o-

Posted by Maroonclown on 04-21-06 at 11:47 AM
Noted. I called him Huffman in the other thread too. But I won't feel stupid because I'm rather pleased that I remembered even that much from the previous seasons.

arkie spring thing

Posted by priestdi on 04-21-06 at 11:43 AM

I really detest the producers for crap like this.

They suck so much fun out of it for me.

I don't need more reasons to be cynical about the world. This totally undermines the things I originally liked about the show.

Posted by emydi on 04-21-06 at 01:27 PM
I KNEW IT!!!!!

LAM-O

Posted by LisaPles on 04-21-06 at 02:15 PM
I am so sick of Ryan Dorkcrest and his little dog and pony shows!
I really don't know how the adult contestants can handle the indignity of it all!
The format of the show was so bad to begin with and now it's old and tired. I don't even care about watching the rest of this season. As far as production is concerned, I think this show is the worst!

"Not that I want to defend Seacrust"
Posted by geg6 on 04-21-06 at 02:45 PM
But it's not his thing. Blame the producers. He's just another member of the dog and pony show.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

"RE: Not that I want to defend Seacrust"
Posted by nailbone on 04-21-06 at 02:48 PM
Seacrust - dog or pony?

Sig by Arkie!!

"RE: Scripted"
Posted by LisaPles on 04-21-06 at 02:57 PM
>But it's not his thing.
>Blame the producers. He's
>just another member of the
>dog and pony show.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Ryan's just the ringmaster! I think he often adds insult to injury with his stupid comments. I wonder how much of his schtick is scripted and how much is improv.

I agree that the older contestants aren't going to want to play along with the producers stupid games. I would really like to see some rebellion going on to stir things up a bit! Now that might make this season interesting.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-21-06 at 02:57 PM
Not only was it not his idea, if anything, it seems like the point was to put Seacrest on the spot. So yeah, I don't think I would be blaming him.

Posted by Glow on 04-21-06 at 02:20 PM
Doesn't surprise me especially since Taylor looked like he was about to tell them all to fvck off.

an arkie work of art

Posted by tamarama on 04-21-06 at 02:31 PM
I got that impression too --

I think you're not going to get any of the "older" contestants to go along as blithely as George did (poor George, that sucked) -- and they didn't want another Bo incident (standing between the groups, which was awesome) so I'm not surprised they would plan something.

Still sucks.

I hope that now they'll abide by the rule of 3's and NEVER do that again.

Posted by nailbone on 04-21-06 at 02:48 PM
Rule of 3's? What's that?

Sig by Arkie!!

Posted by Devious Weasel on 04-21-06 at 02:56 PM
I'm not so sure anymore that Bo decided to stand in the middle by himself. I bet that was scripted too.

Posted by tamarama on 04-21-06 at 03:32 PM
Could be, Dweeze, wouldn't surprise me.

The rule of 3's is a comedy/theater thing...

If you're going to use a gag, use it 3 times. Twice isn't enough to establish it as a 'bit', and 4 times is too many, not funny anymore.

(of course, this 'bit' wasn't EVER funny.)

Posted by sica077 on 04-23-06 at 12:42 PM
I must have missed the boat (and the season) on George Huff...what happened??

Posted by halfpintlemon on 04-24-06 at 09:19 AM
It was season...3? Yeah I'm gonna go with season 3 and after Ryan had formed 2 groups of 3, George Huff was asked which group he thought was safe and to join that group. George, not knowing which one was safe, went to the bottom three instead of the top three. If it rings any bells, this is the week that Fantasia, Latoya London, and Jennifer Hudson were all in the bottom three.

Posted by sica077 on 04-24-06 at 12:23 PM
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the update! I felt out of the loop!

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 04-21-06 at 02:55 PM
I don't care how much they try to deny it every reality TV show is scripted in one form or another. They can say all day long that it isn't and I won't believe them.

Siggy thanks to Syren!

"Agree, totally"
Posted by singer on 04-21-06 at 03:40 PM
Magnolia Rocker.

The directing, editing, and scripting thing appears on every show.

And if they are going to edit things or even rig votes (my subjective belief), why don't they make sure that the best singers make it to the finals?

Instead, they focus on trying to make the contestants feel bad, like with the Taylor incident. I wish he had thrown a tomato at the producers.

--Singer

"RE: Agree, totally"
Posted by nailbone on 04-21-06 at 04:22 PM
But at the same time, if it's that scripted, he shouldn't feel bad. Basically, he's been told "go stand by those ones over there". He doesn't have to make the choice of who's top 3 or who's bottom 3. And if even the handshake deal was planned ahed of time, that makes it even less likely that he'd feel bad.

Sig by Arkie!!

"RE: Agree, totally"
Posted by finallytyping on 04-23-06 at 01:28 PM
The script can really backfire on a contestant.

I started watching AI in season 2. There was a female contestant who had red streaked hair, in a calmed down punk style. I remember her having the typical sit and chat with Seacrest after her performance. He got her to say something negative about Simon (I think) and it ended up being a factor in her getting the boot. I wasn't lurking here at the time so it might have already been discussed to death. I did feel sorry for her.

Posted by jazzyjeff on 04-24-06 at 08:43 AM
I think that 90% of everything is now scripted. This year it seems like more and more of the show is set ahead of time.

Posted by Tahj on 04-24-06 at 04:24 PM
I think it would be great if one of them actually had the guts to say, "No, I refuse to do it," then tell them to quit playing silly little games.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Posted by bookwomanblue on 04-24-06 at 07:19 PM
They may want to do that, but this is their shot at a major recording contract. At this stage, they don't want to blow it by not going along with the flow!