URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 188
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I'm pssst @ Marty for smashing his guitar!"

Posted by photokitty on 09-15-05 at 02:34 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know it's a Rock-n-Roll thing to do.

But, c'mon!

It was a beautiful guitar! It was given to him on the show...didn't he like it? He obviously didn't value it. Oh! I was so upset that he did that, I couldn't focus on his performance. Shoot, if he didn't want it, he could have given it to someone who did. Such a waste!

Dave said he enjoyed that, but INXS seemed unmoved, and perhaps as annoyed as I.

Your thoughts?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I'm pssst @ Marty for smashing his guitar!"
Posted by freefromwhatyouare on 09-15-05 at 03:43 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-05 AT 03:49 AM (EST)

Hmmmm?

I didn't catch that the guitar was given to him on the show..who gave it to him? and why? This would help in the assesment of whether this was a cool move on his part...

We know alot of the antics we see on the show are pre-planned and the producers have the final say about what does and does not get done on the show. They wanted him to do Tree's electric and this was a semi-dramatic way to get it done...

I think his first electric performance of 'Tree's' was much better than this one. I also think they over used this song and J.D.'s. Both are decent radio friendly pop songs, but heard to death before being released, may come back to haunt all involved.

INXS was never a guitar smashing band on stage....though I saw Michael H. over the years trash some mics and amps on stage. One thing we were reminded of from this show is that none of these cats have near the stage presence of Michael.

Perhaps on the finale J.D. can trash his eyeliner pencils on stage

At first thought the "smashing guitar" by Marty was a ok move, but if this guitar had some sentimental value to someone and given as a gift..then it may be a rude move on his part.

I guess this is developing at this point

Peace and Love!

Michael...

Posted by photokitty on 09-15-05 at 01:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-05 AT 01:41 PM (EST)

It was early in the series when the Rawkers opened a door to a room filled with guitars for each of them, from Les Paul or Fender, or someone else. I just remember it was a respected maker of guitars. Marty got a blue acoustic one, which we saw him using in the weeks following, for song writing, practicing, performing and I'm pretty sure it was the one he smashed...that is, it didn't occur to me that he would smash a similar-looking one and keep his good one. I hope that's what he did, but I don't think so.

I get what the gesture meant when some of The Greats did it, as in, "that was an exceptional performance, unable to be topped, this guitar has peaked, it should be retired, might as well trash it," more as a bit of performance art & a statement. Even in that context, even though I understand the motivation, for the most part I find it a silly, wasteful thing to do.

Posted by shanana banana on 09-15-05 at 08:27 AM
Don't worry about the guitar -- I'm sure it was a cheap "prop" -- Marty knew he wasn't going to sing another acoustic version of Trees and had it ready on standby, just like JD has that megaphone ready for Pretty Vegas.

It's funny, when I first saw the guitar I was like, "What a beautiful guitar!" Guitar-player Hubby, sitting next to me, chuckled a bit and when Marty went to smash it, said: "I didn't want to say anything when you said that, but that guitar really is a piece of crap."

LOL

Posted by Glow on 09-15-05 at 08:48 AM
Yep. That was my guess. I have no real guitar knowledge, so I didn't know that it was a piece of crap, but I guessed that it was. A prop. Like JD's megaphone. I enjoyed the guitar smashing.