URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 187
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Dark Shadows"

Posted by dabo on 02-03-04 at 08:41 AM
Time-jumping vampire does it again!

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|86120|1|,00.html

WB Hopes to Hide in 'Dark Shadows'
(Monday, February 02 01:49 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - If P.T. Barnum were looking over the history of The WB, he might note that a bloodsucker is born every minute.

The WB is looking to sire a new vampire franchise, reportedly greenlighting a new version of the popular daytime serial "Dark Shadows," which first aired on ABC from 1966 to '71. NBC resurrected the franchise for a short-lived primetime revival in '91.

Original "Dark Shadows" creator Dan Curtis and "ER" and "West Wing" producer John Wells are the creative forces behind the WB update, along with Mark Verheiden ("Smallville"), who wrote the pilot.

Is there room for two vampires in The WB's drama family? Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" shared time on the network's schedule for two seasons, before "Buffy" migrated to UPN. Since that time, the David Boreanaz supernatural private eye drama has had the monopoly on the network's share of stakings, bloodlust and holy water aversion.

It remains to be seen how many new high concept franchise-type dramas The WB is going to have room for next fall, particularly considering the failures of heavily promoted series like "Birds of Prey" and "Tarzan." In the fall, the network spend big money for the rights to develop a new version of "Lost in Space"

One thing that's for sure is that even if this "Dark Shadows" remake never makes it to the air, there will always be undead yarns for The WB to unspool.

NBC aired their version on Friday nights. Not a bad move if you are aiming for a very young or family viewership, but the sexy vixens on that prime-time DS were clearly there to attract a viewing audience that often doesn't spend Friday evening in front of a TV.

Well, as long as they don't air it opposite Survivor, y'know.
SMILES ARE FREE

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Dark Shadows"
Posted by AugustGirl on 02-05-04 at 07:26 PM
I was very upset when NBC yanked the primetime Dark Shadows, especially since they left the plot hanging. I really hope a new version comes along. I'll watch it.

as long as it's not opposite Survivor.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 02-06-04 at 03:54 PM
Same here August, I liked the primetime version too. Hope the WB does it justice.
TummyBreez

a beautiful kyngsladye original
Proud Member of the RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Group

Posted by dabo on 02-09-04 at 11:47 PM
No kidding, the last episode ended with the trap door falling open at the hanging, we never did get to find out what happened after that.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 02-11-04 at 08:02 AM
dabo - it's scary that you remember that
TummyBreez

a beautiful kyngsladye original
Proud Member of the RBBRTFHLA/Sugar Ho Group

Posted by Swami on 02-07-04 at 01:32 PM
I loved the original Dark Shadows! I saw the last two years of it--the only soap I have ever been hooked on. In the 70s, the whole concept of vampires & time travel & stuff was so unexpected in afternoon TV especially. Now it is unremarkable. I sure hope they are successful in reviving it. I loved Barnabas!

I think Lost in Space was pretty lame, but I don't really remember. I know the family watched it, but even as a little kid I could tell the science was sooo bad. I mean realllly bad. Hans Conreid was a neat evil villian, and the robot was funny. I thought the cute kid sucked--but then I didn't like boys in those days.

I love you Richard, but don't unpack.

Posted by dabo on 02-09-04 at 11:48 PM
The first year of LIS was fairly well written, after that they dumbed it down a lot.

Posted by Angelfood on 02-10-04 at 11:09 AM
wow.
I was Obsessed with it in 94-95? on the scifi channel.
Oh, the dreams I've had. I loved Nicholas the best. (the warlock/sorcerer that controlled Angelique). He's hot!
No, I dunno why. I'm weird that way.

Oh, yeah, the primetime version. Did i see that?
Wasn't that late 90's? Now, I gotta look it up.

Oh, and some of my fave gals into it as well - too cool.
thanks dabo.