URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1857
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Life lessons from Bora Bora."

Posted by Estee on 02-25-13 at 09:30 AM
* Learn to swim.

* That is not a grip point.

* North is that way.

* Kicking a coconut may not be a reliable test of manhood.

* Your children are laughing at you.

* If you have to keep telling people you're the villain, you may not be very good at it.

* Seriously. Swimming. Learn it.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Life lessons from Bora Bora."
Posted by Belle Book on 02-25-13 at 12:45 PM
Along with learning how to swim, learn how to swim in the ocean! I know how to swim but I learned how to swim in a pool. I never tried swimming in the ocean.

Posted by udg on 02-25-13 at 04:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-13 AT 04:24 PM (EST)

If one half of the Detour is so hard that you're contemplating calling the quit boat, maybe check out the other half of the Detour before deciding.

Also: READ THE CLUE.

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!
Detour =/= Roadblock.

Posted by kingfish on 02-25-13 at 08:36 PM
Add to the list, "Do a little jogging in the weeks before the show starts."

And although I get the point of the second item, just where do you grip in that situation that might not be even more embarrassing.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-25-13 at 09:20 PM
Grab her by the hips and pull her in that way, instead of reaching deep between her legs and giving it a good yank!

I wonder if Chuck is still alive after the episode was aired last night.

Posted by kingfish on 02-26-13 at 10:49 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-13 AT 10:54 AM (EST)

Point taken, that would have been less embarrassing. But from what I saw and looking at the narrow opening thru which she needed to pass, I don't think grabbing her by the hips would have been very manageable, to attempt that he would have had to straddle her in limited space and heave. That would have also been not too dignified.

You could see her husband hesitate for a moment to consider exactly how he could manage the situation, then just going for the best purchase he had available. A sacrifice of dignity for efficiency when time is of the essence.

He was her husband, so it wasn't a grip point he was unfamiliar with. I thought that overall he was pretty respectful of a partner who had been slowing him down. And that’s certainly not always the case between partners on TAR. (Does anyone remember Victoria?).

A funny, noteworthy moment, though.

What is it with black people and swimming? What I used to think was just a stupid unfair stereotype is actually factual. Still stupid, but one can’t deny that it seems to be true for black people in general. At least according to what they show on TAR, Survivor, and maybe other shows. .

As a generalization one can say that black people are afraid of the water. Black people do not swim. It's still not a completely fair observation, because the Asian girls (and others) were also pretty inept, but being inept and almost drowning in a panic are different. And this isn't the first time that a swimming challenge has been nearly fatal for black contestants. In fact, almost exclusively, it has been black people that have to be rescued in water based contests.

It makes no sense to me.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-26-13 at 11:39 AM
True, but I think there were better ways to pull Wynona into the boat - arms? By the armpits? Even pulling her by the breasts would have been more dignified than the hooch!

It really is a stereotype that has been beaten to the death but I do know there are plenty of black people who swim quite well (I worked as a lifeguard at a resort for three summers) and there's Cullen Jones who was in the Olympics last year.

Mary Adam had to be "rescued" one time and there was also Mika who wouldn't go down a water slide even while wearing arm floaters. She's very white. It might be that TAR actively goes out looking for that one or two teams in some seasons who cannot swim just for the entertainment of watching them freak out.

Posted by kingfish on 02-26-13 at 03:30 PM
First, it is not comforting to know deaf lifeguards can be on duty. Not everyone can sign "HELP!” <Smiley Face>.

I also spent a few summers lifeguarding, and I noticed a definite difference in swimming skills and water tolerance between black people and others.

I don't know, maybe it boils down to the fact (if it is indeed a fact) that white parents are more apt to have their kids learn to swim at an early age? I learned to swim before I went to grade school, and swimming was part of every summer for many years. As was the case for most kids in my neighborhood.

That there are exceptional black swimmers should come as no surprise, the surprising thing (to me) is that there are so few.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 03-03-13 at 07:05 PM
>First, it is not comforting to know deaf lifeguards can be on duty. Not everyone can sign "HELP!” <Smiley Face>.

Charming. Let's continue with the stereotypes that have nothing to do with reality.

Posted by featherfish81 on 02-28-13 at 02:17 AM
>It really is a stereotype that has been beaten to the death but I do know there are plenty of black people who swim quite well (I worked as a lifeguard at a resort for three summers) and there's Cullen Jones who was in the Olympics last year.
>

It's not so much a stereotype, as it is a statistic - more white children know how to swim than black children. Not to say that they are genetically worse at it or anything, just that it's something they were never taught. This story is a few years old, but I doubt the percentages have changed a lot: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24411271/#.US70MlcYr0c