URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 184
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Joey's injuries"

Posted by Wassail99 on 05-02-05 at 06:30 PM
Anyone know how many stitches Joey ended up getting? And, was his rib really broken (or just bruised). Just curious. I guess they'll tell us next week what happened at the hospital.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"60 stitches"
Posted by AyaK on 05-02-05 at 08:04 PM
In Joey's exit commentary on the show's Yahoo! site, he says that he got 60 stitches for the cut. He also says that his rib was sore from a body punch in the first round, but he doesn't say anything about it being broken -- so I'll assume it wasn't.

"RE: 60 stitches"
Posted by Rebellwyr on 05-02-05 at 08:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-05 AT 08:35 PM (EST)

This is from the newsletter sent out by joey's website: also check out the link to jackie kallen's website http://www.jackiekallen.com which has a picture of joey's cut a week later...as far as his ribs I heard somewhere he had three broken ribs, which were previously cracked during the jimmy lange fight

///////
Hello Everyone!

I want to thank you all again for the tremendous support! Like Sly says, sometimes you get knocked down in life and you just have to pull yourself up. Leaving the show was a tough blow. I’m obviously disappointed that I lost the split-decision to Peter. However, I would have been eliminated anyway because of the cut and 55 stitches. Therefore, I’m glad a great guy like Peter wasn’t eliminated and the Contender would have had to bring someone else back. I will be sending you all a comprehensive newsletter this week with my thoughts and insights on the show. For now, I hope you all take the time to vote for me as a “fan favorite” when NBC puts up the voting list in the next couple of weeks. The fan favorites will be fighting on the undercard at Caesar’s Las Vegas on May 24. Again, my heart and prayers go out to all of you who have supported me and I hope you continue to do so as I strive for my dream of becoming a world champion!

Love and Friendship,

Joey
//////

"RE: 60 stitches"
Posted by pdaj on 05-02-05 at 08:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=turner/contender/050502

"In his losing bout against Peter "The Pride of Providence" Manfredo Jr. on Sunday night, he didn't go down easy. Exhibiting the heart of a lion, Gilbert fought through the pain of three fractured ribs, a gimpy leg and deep gashes above his eyes."

"RE: Joey's injuries"
Posted by Wassail99 on 05-02-05 at 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info! I didn't know Jackie had a website, will have to check that out. It's amazing he was able to even lift his arm with fractured ribs. I knew someone in a car accident that broke ribs and the slightest movement of their arm was excruciating. He either has an extrememly high pain threshold, or his huge heart overrode it! I think it was a little of both. It's amazing how he kept going through all his injuries throughout the show.