URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1828
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Singing Bee"

Posted by Seana on 07-19-07 at 01:01 AM
I caught the first little bit and the last few minutes of this Tuesday night. (In the middle, I put a kid to bed.) I actually kind of enjoyed it. It was fluffy and mindless and I needed that. I liked Joey Fatone on Dancing with the Stars and he did a pretty good job hosting that I saw.

I liked the band and the various singers. I liked laughing with at people belting out the wrong lyrics and being surprised by the buzzer. I liked that it was only a half-hour.

A couple of comments:

- The first song was Smells Like Teen Spirit?! That was just nasty. Mean, mean and nasty.

- When the final 2 contestants had their sing-off, the first woman got the words wrong, so the other was declared the winner, without having to sing herself. In a Spelling Bee, she'd have had to get another song right to be declared the winner. Probably a time thing, but it kind of bugged me.

- The winner seemed really comfortable on stage and got right into the singing/dancing. You know, just like a regular person who went to see a show taping and not at all like an actor.

I don't think I'll watch the Fox rip-off of this on purpose, but if I happen to be flipping and see it, I might give it a look.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Singing Bee"
Posted by jbug on 07-19-07 at 09:30 AM
Seana, I saw this one last week (I guess it was the first show) and I watched the other one - Don't Forget the Lyrics.
I actually liked DFTL better. The prize is for more $$ too.

I is fun watching people mess up, isn't it?
I could never do it. I know lots of words to old 50/60's rock & roll and old country but not any new stuff.

Agman says I'm GREEN. (Is there a message in that?)

Posted by iloverob on 07-19-07 at 01:00 PM
I agree. I liked DFTL MUCH better than Singing Bee. And this week's singing bee, the real singers sounded terrible at times and the band/singer's didn't always stop at the right moment causing the contestant to be confused.

Also, I like the song choices better on DFTL This week's DFTL only had one song I didn't know, where Singing Bee may have had one song that I DID know.

I like both hosts but I like the format of the DFTL show better.

Posted by MKitty on 07-20-07 at 01:29 PM
Yeah, what I don't get...is why on earth are their TWO shows on the same thing? Good lord, does everyone in Hollywood go to the same party, rush home with the same idea and see who can get it out first? Oh yeah, I guess they do

Okay, well, in fairness, Ihaven't seen the Singing Bee one but have watched Don't Forget the Lyrics and thought it was fairly fun to watch. I helps that I love Wayne Brady. But...why..why do they need two of these same shows??? Why?????

*furrified by Agman*

Posted by Seana on 07-22-07 at 05:00 PM
I dunno why there's 2 shows with the same premise. Fox did this before with their Trading Spouses (Wife Swap on another network) and that boxing show (The Contender was on another network). There may be another instance.

Personally, I think the whole thing is just like "La fureur", which is a French-language program that runs on SRC (French CBC). There are 2 teams - used to be boys vs. girls. One team sings to the music and then the music goes away and the team has to keep singing. Sometimes, it's just one team member's turn. Actually, the show is a riot. I'm not sure how points are awarded, but I LOL when I see them singing *at* each other. That show's been around for years.

Posted by Sahara on 09-05-07 at 08:30 PM
Another example.."Supernanny" and "Nanny 911"

AF 2006

Posted by jbug on 07-23-07 at 10:51 AM
Aren't there also 2 shows on now about producers?
On the Lot and Next Producer (or something?)

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Bebo on 07-23-07 at 02:14 PM
In this case, NBC was the one to rush theirs out. Fox announced their summer offering first.

Add me to the list of people who prefers DFTL - although I DVR it so I can skip through all of the filler crap.

Posted by Fishercat on 08-07-07 at 05:10 PM
Yeah, DFTL is the better show, hands down. I had trouble getting through TSB, but DFTL was easy to watch and with good money too.

Posted by Agman2 on 02-26-16 at 11:35 AM
EVERYONE does the same thing now. Imagination and Hollywood no longer go hand in hand!

Posted by Sahara on 09-05-07 at 08:28 PM
I personally like DFTL MUCH better. I did not even make it through one episode of TSB, and I really enjoy DFTL. I know a lot more of the songs, for one thing. Although occasionally, there is someone I am tempted to use the "mute" button on...

I do tire of the announcer with the fake drama...but this is Fox.

AF 2006

Posted by Lackosleep on 08-05-07 at 10:25 PM
>- The winner seemed really comfortable
>on stage and got right
>into the singing/dancing. You
>know, just like a regular
>person who went to see
>a show taping and not
>at all like an actor.

I felt like I was being suckered while watching this show. I mean, did anyone else notice that no one in the audience tried to get noticed as Joey was walking around "randomly selecting contestants"? Some of the people standing right next to the "selectees" were even looking the other way when he walked over. ('Cause that's what real folks do when TV cameras and game shows with money come by) And that this week all the "randomly selected" contestants were each wearing solid colored shirts and none of them were the same? They looked like PAAS easter eggs on stage. How coincidental... like a wardrobe dept coincidental. And these folks were just way too relaxed for a game show involving money. (Cause that's how real folks act...)
Looks more like "That's how actors act real"
Just my opinion.
Lackosleep

Posted by emydi on 08-08-07 at 10:06 AM
there was a blurb in the TV Guide that they pick the 6 beforehand so they know they have some knowledge of music..

Posted by Seana on 08-10-07 at 00:43 AM
Ah! Now that makes sense. Thanks!

Posted by Agman2 on 02-01-16 at 01:00 PM
never saw it

Posted by Agman2 on 02-19-16 at 04:30 PM
Seana, when was the last time you posted?

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 01:47 PM
A long time ago