URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID95
Thread Number: 182
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Season 7 finale"

Posted by AyaK on 05-18-09 at 09:09 AM
Boy, I really succeeded in forgetting season 6 (with Philip Bauer and brain-damaged Audrey), didn't I? I titled my post on the current finale as "Season 6 finale"

But onward. Here are the posts from the other thread.

AyaK
05-05-09, 07:23 AM (EST)

"Season 6 finale"
So evil Tony is trying to use an innocent person to pin the bioweapon attacks on Muslims, while Jack is trying to live long enough to stop the attack. But we knew that at the end of Episode 20, so Episode 21 was a holding exercise -- except for Olivia, who inadvertently may have destroyed her own career.

So was the "fixer" a part of the wider XAM "Group of 12" conspiracy, or was this just an opportunity to sell Hodges' death to them? Or did someone else take out Hodges for other reasons?

AyaK
05-12-09, 03:34 PM (EST)

1. "RE: Season 6 finale"
Once again, Kim gets to serve as "Our Lady of Peril." No one really needed another Kimnapping. I wish the mountain lion in season 2 had finished her off.
I can't believe that Olivia was stupid enough to send the money. Between that and the recording of her meeting with Martin Collier, her mother will have only two choices: to let Olivia stand trial for murder ... or else to resign the presidency. I expect she'll have to pick the former, in an echo of David Palmer cutting Sherry loose at the end of season 1.

sittem 3886 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"
05-13-09, 04:58 PM (EST)

2. "RE: Season 6 finale"
I forget - does Jack know he's a grandfather at this point? If not, he should just let them take Kim out and they can reunite again shortly...I really didn't need to see Kim again this season, though the small dose of her a couple of hours ago was fine, almost redeeming. But this new track feels so retro - and NOT in a good way.
One now wonders what the best we can hope for is. Jack survives this day and a few more weeks. I suppose that's a given though I expect he dies at the end of the next season, or someway on the way to hour 24. Is it best if Tony survives and is uncaptured at the end of this day so Jack can hunt him down next season? Is to much bad Tony TO MUCH? Will we come to a sympathetic understanding of why Tony is doing this? Is there even a minor chance at redemption at this point? It seems there are too many dead bodies behind him for that.

Will Aaron really out Olivia? Will mama give her up?

On another note, I thought the ride in the vehicle with the Imam Gohar and their dialogue about forgiveness was a great scene.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Finale leak"
Posted by AyaK on 05-18-09 at 09:16 AM
The finale has leaked. Anyone that wants to know the details can post it here, but I doubt that most of us really do want to know. If you do, you can find the info.

Here's one detail that emerges: KIM REALLY NEVER IS "KIMNAPPED." Too bad for any mountain lions hoping to get a second chance at her. And the ending makes it clear that she will return again next season.

The real focus of the finale is on Renee and the Taylor family. There is resolution on the second, but the first is left (somewhat) ambiguous.

Enjoy!

"RE: Finale leak"
Posted by sica077 on 05-18-09 at 11:34 AM
>Here's one detail that emerges:
>KIM REALLY NEVER IS "KIMNAPPED."
>Too bad for any
>mountain lions hoping to get
>a second chance at her.

Well, that is promising. I was really worried that the finale would be a big waste of Jack's precious time looking for his dumb daughter (ugh, who chose to procreate!)

>And the ending makes
>it clear that she will
>return again next season.

Maybe they are saving her toss to the mountain lions until this season so they can finish the series with fans rejoicing?

"SPOILER: answers to sittem"
Posted by AyaK on 05-18-09 at 09:29 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-18-09 AT 02:51 PM (EST)

In case anyone DOES want spoilers, I posted answers to sittem's questions in hidden text. But you can even watch the episodes if you so choose.

One now wonders what the best we can hope for is. Jack survives this day and a few more weeks. I suppose that's a given though I expect he dies at the end of the next season, or someway on the way to hour 24.
At the very end of the season, as Jack is unconscious, Kim talks the surgeon into doing the experimental operation with her. She has the last line, telling her unconscious father that she isn't ready to give him up yet. Kim also gets to prove herself to Renee as an ex-CTU analyst, which is a nice touch.

Is it best if Tony survives and is uncaptured at the end of this day so Jack can hunt him down next season? Is too much bad Tony TOO MUCH?
Tony does survive but is captured. He's almost looney near the end defending himself.

Will we come to a sympathetic understanding of why Tony is doing this? Is there even a minor chance at redemption at this point? It seems there are too many dead bodies behind him for that.
The motivation is that he wants to kill Alan Wilson, because he claims that Alan Wilson was behind Charles Taylor and the deaths of Michelle and their unborn baby (yes, Michelle was pregnant). All he was trying to do was get close enough to Wilson to kill him. (But that seems to ignore season 6 entirely, unless we believe that Alan Wilson's group was also behind Philip Bauer. Nevertheless, that's it, lame as it is.) Tony's so motivated to kill Wilson that other deaths (including Jack) don't matter to him.

Will Aaron really out Olivia? Will mama give her up?
Yes and yes, despite Henry Taylor arguing strongly that Allison should protect Olivia and basically rejecting his wife when she decides otherwise. President Taylor only has Ethan on her side at the end.

"RE: Season 7 finale"
Posted by true on 05-19-09 at 07:40 AM
I fell asleep for the last 20 minutes, and I doubt I'll bother to watch. Were there always this many gaping holes in the plot, or has the novelty of this format worn off?

Posted by AyaK on 05-19-09 at 02:19 PM
There were this many gaping holes in the plot in seasons 1, 3,4 and 6. The one big hole in season 1 was Nina being the mole, since she could have killed Jack many times prior to the end. The other seasons listed had many more gaps.

Seasons 2 and 5 were the only ones with a fully coherent plot at the end.

Posted by kingfish on 05-19-09 at 03:18 PM
What really jumps out at me are the distances that Jack (et.al.) manage to cover in 24 hours.

Didn't this season begin with Jack in Africa (Somalia?)? If that was just back story, well, I missed that. But I think there was a 16 hr. plane ride, plus stops, and plus Jack’s amazing adventures that were compressed into the first 2 to 3 hours of the day.

In one day, Jack manages to thwart not one nuclear/biological/presidential terrorist plot, but several, they never seem to end in fact. While, at the same time uncovering not one insider mole/spy/terrorist, but an almost never ending line up of them .

That Jack Bauer is one heck of a time efficiency expert.

I have to say, though, that I am happy to put aside my quibbling and get reabsorbed in to this show again. It’s getting a bit long in the tooth, and someday they are going to run out of plot twists, but I’ll watch again if they are on.

This isn’t spoiler, just observation/speculation, but this season the writers seemed to grooming Renee to take over hunting bad guys from Bauer. A lot of time was spent on educating her to understand the dilemmas which force Jack to break the rules. So while I see a plot continuation involving the last bad from season 7, and maybe Tony (or maybe not Tony, he may be done), the analyst chicks (unfortunately even Janis), I see Jack becoming a old hand dispensing advice, with much less minute to minute involvement, and Renee cracking heads. She’ll need a back story and a romantic interest who gets killed, captured, or whatever.

I wonder if Olivia will become a plotter against US interests? That would mean that her end would probably be bloody. And satisfying.

Posted by AyaK on 05-19-09 at 08:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-09 AT 08:13 PM (EST)

The trip to Sangala was in the TV movie "24: Redemption", set about three months before the start of this season. Day 7 actually started at 8 AM, with Jack being sworn in just a few minutes later in a U.S. Senate hearing on torture.

No, you can't fly from Africa to the U.S. in zero time.

One of the things I always gripe about is that Jack never seems to need to eat over the course of the day. In fact, as a result of that, Jon Voight insisted that his first scene would show him eating.

Part of the reason for developing Renee the way that was done was that the producers were concerned that Jack had become a lightning rod for liberal criticism (which certainly didn't please Kiefer Sutherland, who is very liberal himself). By forcing Jack to "explain" his methods and his remorse about them, his character was supposed to become more understandable to the average Obama-loving viewer.

Renee will become a key part of the "new" NYC-based CTU, and Season 8 will focus quite a bit on her. The current plan is to "shut down" the TV show after Season 8, but we all know that ratings and money can change all such plans. Janis will definitely not be part of the new CTU, but Chloe will be ... and maybe even Kim, judging by the ending. The casting call for her daughter Teri was seeking a 3-4 year old.

I don't think Renee will have another romantic interest other than Jack, as the producers will use her to recreate a new version of the "action-packed" Jack-Nina pairing that people found so appealing from Season 1 (before the producers decided to make Nina into a murdering baddie). But she might have an old romantic interest be involved in the crisis.

Also, Allison will return as the President, probably during her re-election campaign, and Ethan apparently will return as chief of staff. And Anil Kapoor will be a diplomat involved in the crisis du jour.

Posted by true on 05-19-09 at 06:40 PM
I only really remember specifics from Season 1. While I've watched every season, they sort of all run together in my mind. This is the first season I haven't really liked, and I think maybe it's because it got moved from CTU headquarters. That, and Kiefer always talking in a whisper is getting really annoying.

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 05-19-09 at 09:26 PM
ok I love LOVE 24- but that last hour sucked man

Slice n' Dice Chop Shop ©2004

Posted by trigirl on 05-22-09 at 08:11 AM
ok I love LOVE 24- but that last hour sucked man

I agree. I have suspended belief for many, many hours. Jack doesn't eat, sleep or use the washroom. Got it.

I liked this season. Really enjoyed the change of setting to Washington. Like the good guy President and First-Husband. Back to the David Palmer roots there. I even enjoyed the whole FBI angle (except for Janice, ugh).

However...the last hour didn't feel like 24. We didn't get to see Jack walking off into the sunset or on a slow boat to China. It was just blah. Still...I will absolutely be on my couch in January cheering for Jack's success and Kim's demise.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-21-09 at 06:29 PM
I didn't pay close attention this season. Did we ever learn the identity of the mole at the FBI?

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940

Posted by AyaK on 05-21-09 at 07:41 PM
The moles at the FBI were Sean and Erika. In episode 10 (5-6 PM), they are exposed. Sean kills Erika in a futile attempt to blame her for everything, but is himself arrested by Larry.

We never even thought about them again.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-21-09 at 11:08 PM
Thanks. I missed one entire episode because the DVR was full. That must have been the one. Hmmm, it's interesting that I never asked myself again what happened to the two of them...

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." --- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 9 January 1940