URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1815
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Ice Road Truckers"

Posted by Snidget on 07-01-07 at 09:43 PM
Brrrr. Has anyone else been watching this.

Really pretty cool how they can run the big trucks over the lakes and permafrost up there.

I'm really enjoying the show so far, anyone else watching?

Summertribe and the living is easy!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Ice Road Truckers"
Posted by riverrocker on 07-01-07 at 11:07 PM
We saw our first show today. All I can say is "Wow"! Those guys are a lot braver than I would be. It was absolutely fascinating to watch--and scary to think about doing.

We're looking forward to see more.

DH says they could use the heat from Hell's Kitchen up there...but only "inside" those trucks! lol

Posted by KeithFan on 07-09-07 at 09:22 AM
Love the show! My FIL was a long haul trucker, and watching these guys brings him back to us. I think of the show as the "Deadliest Catch" on land (sort of land that is )

Posted by LisaPles on 07-10-07 at 11:15 AM
I didn't even know that this was done before I heard of the show. I like it that we get to see into the lives of ordinary (or maybe I should say extraordinary) working people doing a job most of us weren't even aware existed.

I sure hope these guys have a warm meal and a hot woman waiting for them at home! It seems very lonely out on the road.

Posted by jbug on 07-11-07 at 04:12 PM
I've watched some but not all of these. It is very interesting! I like shows that tell me about things 'out of my zone' that I'd otherwise never know about.

Sharina gave me this Southern Comfort so blame her if I get hot silly.

Posted by kidflash212 on 07-10-16 at 10:52 AM
I wouldn't mind some Southern Comfort.

Posted by riverrocker on 07-15-07 at 11:03 PM
Just watched the 7-15 show. Wow. I'm wanting some "spoilers" to know what happens next.

Anyone know of any place with info?

Thanks.

Posted by brvnkrz on 07-16-07 at 12:01 PM
I just watched a marathon of this show this weekend. I loved it. What an intersting profession. The way they cruise over those lakes makes my heart beat fast just watching.

Syren did me again

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-16-07 at 03:36 PM
Found this show while surfing this weekend. Holy cow!! These people are nuts! Of course I was riveted in horrid fascination.

A Sharnina Creation

Posted by riverrocker on 07-16-07 at 04:10 PM
>These people are nuts!
>Of course I was riveted
>in horrid fascination.
>

Oh YES!!!! Wholeheartedly agree. Every time they show the ice cracking, I cringe---but watch any way! Can't believe that this is really a job that can't be done any other way. Wow.

Posted by Snidget on 07-16-07 at 05:25 PM
I'm guessing between the bogs and the lakes there just isn't enough solid ground (and/or summer weather) to build enough roads and bridges.

Probably costs a lot less than helicoptering everything in. I'm guessing some of that stuff is too big or heavy to be easy to helicopter in and I dunno if they can build airstrips for the big planes to land (same bog issues as roads). Even if they can build the big airstrips you are only going to be able to fly in during as short window of time because of weather, so you might still need the ice road.

Posted by Dakota on 08-04-07 at 04:27 PM
Yes, I'm watching and so is a friend of mine IRL. I didn't even know there were diamond mines in Canada. It is interesting and I was so afraid we were going to see someone go through the ice and die. Fortunately, we haven't. So far.

I felt sorry for Drew. I still can't figure out how they thought that all his problems were brought on by his own actions. Ok, he should have checked his gas tank that one time, but the others I didn't see as being his fault. Seems to me the newbies don't get much help or advice from the old timers. Not like RealityTVWorld at all!

Ok, one more tidbit: I was at one of those Japanese restaurants last week, the ones where they cook at your table and if you're a party of 2 you sit with others. I mentioned this show and one of the guys at the table said he used to work in the field of gems and Canadian diamonds are considered SUPERIOR (in spite of the fact that the miners are probably watching hockey most of the time). Well, he didn't say that part about hockey, I threw that in. Watch the Cancucks all come out and say "But of Course" in French.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Posted by Snidget on 08-06-07 at 06:16 AM
It sounded like losing the batteries was something that doesn't normally just happen. Sounded like the old timers thought that he wasn't taking the usual precautions to avoid pot holes.

But yea, some of it seems like standard bad luck that could happen to any truck that is running under very harsh conditions.

Posted by riverrocker on 08-06-07 at 01:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-06-07 AT 01:53 PM (EST)

We were just waiting to see if Danny had the same problems w/the truck as Drew, who seemed to have all the bad luck. Interestingly, the truck DID have problems! So it wasn't 100% Drew...but Danny seems much better at being able to cope w/the problems and even "fix" some of them (like the over-heating). At first, we thought Hugh was a really gung-ho owner/driver, but it looks like he doesn't keep his equipment in very good shape. Have no problem w/him making big bucks, but keeping the equipment going strong is important too.

They did a pretty good number on the viewers last night about what "might" have happened to T.J. Glad he was okay.

Those pics of some truck going through the ice are creepy. Just hope it doesn't happen this season!

We've heard that the diamonds are superior too. Our question is "how in the world did 'they' find those areas in the first place"?????????????

"SEASON TWO!!"
Posted by jbug on 06-02-08 at 03:17 PM
should we have a new thread?
Since there wasn't oo much on this one; I thought I'd bring it back to the front.
Season 2 starts next Sunday; last night was sorta a review of last year.

I enjoyed watching this. So often we don't stop to think about how some things get done - we just take it for granted that it gets done.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the bug's kitchen!
Agman? It's getting hot in here!!!!

"RE: SEASON TWO!!"
Posted by Snidget on 06-02-08 at 06:52 PM
We haven't really filled this one up yet, so I'd say stick with one thresd.

Season Two Info
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/report-ice-road-truckers-forced-move-new-location-by-mines-7196.php

From the Who Knew Agman was psychic collection.

Posted by Dakota on 06-02-08 at 07:43 PM
Yea! First The Mole and now Ice Road Truckers!

I have to wonder where the two younger guys are--TJ and whatshisname. Probably driving to the diamond mines or delivering beer in Ontario.

A Tribe Creation - Springtime 2008

Posted by riverrocker on 06-12-08 at 10:16 AM
We wondered the same about TJ & whatshisname, but after seeing the first episode of this season, it seems to be that there are at least two ice roads...and this season will follow the "old hands," who've decided to become "rookies" on the sea ice road. The young guys are probably still driving the other road to the mines.

As for the "sea road," that is the creepiest-looking "terrain" for driving we've ever seen. Can't believe they can speed like that... and that Hugh had to "floor it" to make it to his destination. Creepy!!! And absolutely a "must not miss show"!

Posted by whimsey on 06-08-08 at 06:27 PM
I can't believe it took a year for me to watch this program. I these guys are amazing. I have a close friend from Alaska, I understand why she will never.ever.go.back.

OTOH - hell, like "Deadliest Catch", somebody's got to do it.

spring siggy by tribe

Posted by Dakota on 06-08-08 at 08:05 PM
They're replaying last year's finale right now and I'm actually getting excited. This year they're north of the Arctic Circle. I don't know what their ratings are, but I love the fact that this is a popular show, at least by History Channel standards, without bikinis, abs, strippers, alcohol or rock 'n' roll.
They don't even have a host with dimples! Go figure.

Posted by Dakota on 06-14-08 at 09:37 PM
I'm wondering if Drew being left sitting around was the work of Hugh -- what a jerk -- or the producers, to generate drama. Jeez, this is their livelihood, they shouldn't be messing with them. I hope Drew changes his mind, goes back and earns some money this time.

Rick was a lucky duck. Guess he ran across some caribou on the road, or at least that's how it looks.

I can see how it takes a special kind of person to do this. Not an easy gig.

Someone mentioned a friend who lived in Alaska. I watched just one episode of Tougher in Alaska. They have to go get their water, or have it delivered, because they don't have pipes and such. Guess the pipes and water would freeze anyway. They also showed how to build an igloo.

"Macho Macho Man"
Posted by Dakota on 06-16-08 at 10:36 AM
Drew clearly has an attitude problem and I think Hugh and Rick told us why. My message to truckers everywhere: It's not the size of your TRUCK that counts. I'm glad Drew didn't give up and go home, but he should have been happy he got some work and Hugh and Rick were idiots. Then Rick has his second accident, so he needs to get it together. The "teaser" for next week says one of them doesn't make it, but I think we heard this once last year and didn't lose any of our guys. Gotta hand it to Hugh, he got that old truck going. Wonder how long it took him in real time.

That "trap door" thing creeped me out. It's a death sentence; no way out. *shudder*

"RE: Macho Macho Man"
Posted by riverrocker on 06-17-08 at 10:55 PM
>Drew clearly has an attitude problem
>and I think Hugh and
>Rick told us why.
>My message to truckers everywhere:
> It's not the size
>of your TRUCK that counts.

Good one!!! LOL And so very true!

>Gotta hand it to Hugh,
>he got that old truck
>going. Wonder how long
>it took him in real
>time.

DH & I talked about that too. The guy must be a real wiz w/the machines as well to pull that one off.

>That "trap door" thing creeped me
>out. It's a death
>sentence; no way out.
> *shudder*

Agree completely! Wonder if there is anyone who drives the roads to check on things...or if they just let "someone" discover the trap door or cracks, etc. on their own?

This show is such a hook!!!

Saw that about Tougher in Alaska. Now I know why I'll take heat, dust, rain, hail, & tornados on the prairie!!

Posted by Snidget on 06-18-08 at 06:55 AM
I remember last season they did show some equipment that they'd run over the ice to check for depth and stuff. I assume they use that up there as well and they find at least some of the problems before anyone has a chance to drive over it.

I think I've read that most of the accidents are from the heavy equipment used to build, check and maintain the road. I'm sure conditions change between times they check things out, but a lot of those loads are expensive enough I'm sure they do a fair amount of monitoring of the road because in addition to loss of life some of the loads are not likely to be easy to replace at least in the same season that it was lost. As much as they don't want to lose a life, I'm sure that losing a whole season of work because something critical is on the ocean bottom is a pretty good motivator.

Posted by Dakota on 06-21-08 at 08:19 AM
They had some vehicle from Sweden that goes over the ice to measure the depth. The guy said they use it because it floats. Alex got an alert on his radio about some cracks in the ice but they didn't show what they did to avoid going through the ice. He just started crossing himself.

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008

Posted by riverrocker on 06-23-08 at 04:48 PM
They finally discussed--and showed--the guys who really put their lives on the line...the work crews who DO go out and check the roads.

That show is so fascinating...problem is it is on opposite Design Star so we record it and watch after. Just too good.

Posted by Dakota on 06-30-08 at 02:25 AM
Both shows are replayed a few hours later. They also show them both the following week before the new episode, so I pick up Design Star on the replay. I usually stay up to watch it Sunday night.

Posted by Dakota on 06-30-08 at 02:21 AM
Hugh and his vac truck. Did he get there yet? They can't hold it any longer! I know not all the waste is from the bathrooms; apparently there's waste from the drilling, but I know that if Hugh could have given that gig to someone else, he would have.

I am glad they didn't decide to take that rig down and ship it in the storm. I don't want to see one of these guys go through the ice.

Finally, Alex admits why he does this. Not just the money to support his own hockey league, but the peace and solitude of the ice roads. I'd want to get away for a few months every year too!

Posted by riverrocker on 06-30-08 at 08:35 PM
Well, we stayed up to watch it after we recorded it.

Got a good laugh when Alex admitted to the real reason he does it.

But the preview looks a bit ominous when he goes missing. Most of these guys do seem likable--Alex & Hugh from last year's crew--but Rick and Drew are something else.

We're with you about being glad they didn't move that rig in the storm, but can't believe the previews as to how it will be moved next time.

Posted by ihatestupidpeople on 07-17-08 at 10:54 PM
One question: haven't these people heard of the amazing invention of the airplane? Before you tell me that the loads can't be flown in, refer to http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=92 please to save yourself the embarrassment.

Yes, absolutely these loads can be flown in, it's obvious that the capitalist companies are only interested in cutting the cost of safety by hiring stupid people to drive on ice to bring in their loads. The C-130 is capable of transporting loads of up to 21 tons! They can drop it from the air or simply land in the roughest of terrains. Problem solved. No need to drive on ice or lose any lives, although stupid people are expendable i guess.

I'm sorry, but for me that kills the suspense of the show by simply knowing there is an easier and safer way to transport the stuff from point A to B . When there is absolutely nothing else on, i entertain myself by ridiculing these idiots driving their trucks over thin ice at the risk of their lives. Make that money, because your family will need it to pay for your funeral and erect the memorial that reads, "Poor chap never heard of an airplane".

Posted by Snidget on 07-18-08 at 07:46 AM
I know they have difficulties flying airplanes to air drop stuff to that Antarctic during the winter, so I don't know if they can air drop stuff to people on rigs in the arctic during the winter with several flights a day every day all winter. When that one doctor diagnosed herself with cancer they finally did get a break in the weather so they could drop some supplies to her.

I assume if airdropping the stuff during the summer or even the winter was cost effective and you didn't have to worry about things breaking when they bounced they would be doing that already. Planes crash too, especially under extreme conditions so I dunno that you could guarantee you wouldn't lose lives from the planes going down, and while there is the danger I think the number of lives lost isn't that unusual for any trucking operation, just a different death, the deaths from crashes is probably way down because of the low speeds and the low amount of traffic compared to over-road trucking.

Posted by ihatestupidpeople on 07-18-08 at 08:31 AM
well yeah, there is risk in flying in such cold too, that's why one would fly the stuff in before winter, but flying is and always has been the safest form of transportation. I'm sure it's still very cold in the "summer" up there, but the risk must be reduced significantly during the "summer", no? So why not just go ahead and fly what you need by plane (C-130) before winter even hits?

Then there is the C-5 Galaxy that can carry way beyond what the C-130 can.

The point is, the stuff can be flown in, but to add suspense and danger for the viewers, they omit this fact, and leave it up to the viewers to assume that the Ice road is the only way.

Nope. This is a show about the guys they found stupid enough to do the job. Maybe it IS cheaper to truck it, but it's also cheaper to rent a uhaul to move furniture yourself than to just pay to have some professionals do it right.

Posted by Snidget on 07-18-08 at 08:42 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-18-08 AT 08:48 AM (EST)

I'm also not sure what you do if a wind gust hits and your very heavy piece of equipment now lands a few hundred yards off the landing area in terrain you aren't allowed to tear up to go get it out and over to where you have solid ground.

They say for the antarctic air drops they do get in the winter when you can't land a plane (in the summer they can land on landing strips, but in the winter if they land they are there until spring because of some physics I'm not going to look up right now) one of the biggest problems is getting people from the shelters out to where the stuff ends up landing.

Wherever they can drop the stuff they still have to haul it to where they need it, and if you drop it in the summer you may not have enough solid ground to transport it from where it landed to where you need it and they aren't going to let you build a new road (with as expensive as that is on swampland during the summer) to every place the wind blows a several ton piece of something.

I assume the drop zone would have to be far from the mine/rig/etc because you need to make sure it doesn't land on top of something it could crush.

It would make more sense to build one airstrip even if you can't use it in the winter than drop stuff over a wide area and have to go dig up each piece and haul it around.

The reason they don't drive trucks in the summer is there isn't enough solid ground to work with. How you get around that to get to wherever the wind blows something I dunno.

ETA: And you do know they were doing this for decades before anyone decided to do a show, it isn't like they built the road just to have a show so there will be something suspenseful for us to watch.

I also never got the sense they say the ice road is the only way. It is the way a lot of the heavy equipment already gets transported up there. If they had already gone to flying everything in I'm sure they wouldn't restart trucking just for TV.

Posted by lgianna on 07-19-08 at 03:06 AM
The last time I was in Iraq, which was a few months ago, the C-130's were doing their job there, transporting equipment and troops. I have not heard of private companies contracting with the government for use of their planes.... just sayin'...

Posted by RudyRules on 07-18-08 at 11:36 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-18-08 AT 11:37 AM (EST)

Ummm...
So why don't we use aircraft to transport virtually EVERYTHING? Hey, just airdrop stuff in front of the local Walmart!

Some of the reasons they don't are well stated by other posters; I think that some airdrops would make sense, but can you really, airdrop or land some of the huge, heavy equipment from one place to another safely?
In many cases a truck is the best way to go.
Also, if you watch the show, they are often moving things from one place "up north" to another. They'd need landing strips at everyone of these locations.

ETA: Hey, I like the show too!

Surfkitten Summer Sigshop 2008
"Them people had to be pretty dumb to make their camp in a riverbed." - Rudy Boesch

Posted by Snidget on 07-18-08 at 12:43 PM
Did some googling, because it wouldn't be a Snidget discussion without a link

http://www.khulsey.com/jewelry/kh_jewelry_diamond_mines_canada.html indicates the do get some stuff in by air, I thought from the show it was mostly the insanely heavy stuff or things that were hard to fly in for some reason as well as anything they have to haul out during the winter that was the main things done by truck.

Now the rigs out in the arctic ocean, I think you'd have a harder time air dropping stuff, I don't know what the biggest you can build a sea plane, so you can't land other than that in the summer, and the winter landings would be the same issues as the other air strips and you don't want a big plane going through the ice, nor do you want any of the heavy equipment airdropped onto the wrong bit of ice and breaking through. I also imagine the size of a flotation device so something dropped in the water wouldn't sink would be a lot more expensive than hazard pay for the truckers.

I imagine they have to carry pretty hefty insurance on those guys so if they die on the job someone gets a big check. Pay for hazardous jobs usually does include the risk in the factor, which is why some guys do it. They can probably make as much in a winter driving on ice as they could in a year driving on roads.

Posted by riverrocker on 07-20-08 at 10:17 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-20-08 AT 10:23 AM (EST)

You are right, Snidget, about them using planes for some of the items. Good link.

To IHSP, welcome to the board. Glad you're watching IRT. They did address this issue about using planes several times during last season. You can see, though, that what Hugh has been hauling ("waste) from the rigs and what Rick hauls (trash), that those wouldn't be things suitable for planes. Further, it appears that everything is "delicate" because of the perma-frost, habitat, etc. and that dropping things from planes just wouldn't work in some situations. Seaplanes can land on the water, and obviously do during the summer season, but they are limited in what they can haul. No one would argue that the C-130 and C-5 wouldn't be able to transport, but no commercial ventures use those military planes. And, finally, just as in that rig move, they are just going from one short-distance to another (fifty miles they said), it would be difficult--and expensive--to build airstrips for that.

The ice roads were there for decades before someone decided to show us what they do...and yes, it IS risky, and yes, those guys do take risks & chances for the money, for the thrill, and for the bragging rights............but they are hardly any different from any other type of "dare-devil" workers like on "Deadliest Catch." Just my opinion.

Posted by sica077 on 05-31-09 at 01:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-09 AT 01:39 PM (EST)

DH and I just caught wind of this show and are hooked! We have been watching this weekend's marathon, trying to catch up for the season 3 premier tonight. We love it... more than Deadliest Catch! I am fascinated by the job and by the fact that I had no idea this job existed (for a while now, too! How long has Alex been doing this? I thought he said something like 20 years, but I could be making that up...).

We watched all of season 1 with the exception of the last two episodes: our DVR recorded over them with the beginning of season 2. Thoughts:

a) Holy mother! What an insane thing to do for a living.
b) After watching Drew and his drama back-to-back-to-back... DH and I wanted to shut.him.up. When on his first day he had his truck on cruise control and was not even paying attention, I was angry... where is the respect for the ice road and its fellow travelers?
c) I really enjoyed the camaraderie of season 1, hopefully season 2 (we are only a few episodes in) turns out that way.

Anyone else gearing up (pun intended) for season 3?

Posted by Snidget on 05-31-09 at 06:20 PM
DVR is all set up for the season.

*hops*

SoYouThinkYouCanTribe!

Posted by riverrocker on 06-07-09 at 11:16 PM
Well, thank goodness I surfed over here and found these posts again! Didn't know we'd already missed ep 1 of the new season. Fortunately, by reading here, we were able to catch it on the repeat tonight and then watch ep 2.

SO glad that Drew and Rick are NOT here! Can you imagine them driving the roller coaster!

Will be interesting to see our favs Hugh and Alex back, but we're already liking Jack, George, & Lisa. Tim, hm, will have to see.

Did anyone catch how long Jack has been driving there? Can't believe he could take those extra-long pipe casings over the roller coaster! He must be a really, really good driver to get loads like that.

Whoo-hoo that the IRT are back!

Posted by ARnutz on 06-01-09 at 08:42 AM
Love this show! I was absolutely hooked when I came upon it during season 1. So much so, that I had to order digital cable when they were no longer going to carry the History channel on basic.

Season 1 was awesome. Season 2 was great too. Many nail biting episodes.

Drew and Rick are total idiots.

Season 3 looks like a doozy. That road in Alaska is fierce! The roller coaster, the avalanches, the winds... Oh My! I love that Hugh and Alex are back and it will be cool to meet the new ones... and there is a lady trucker!

I will miss some of the guys from Canada, especially Eric. He was cool, eh?

Beachy keen... thanks to Shar! *bouncy* pop by the amazing IceCat

Posted by krismiss2us on 07-12-09 at 03:06 AM
I always love IRT. Hugh and Alex are my faves...until this year; now I'm wantin' Lisa to win just cuz she's a chick and my honey seems to think she's a twit.

Posted by riverrocker on 06-07-10 at 05:10 PM
IRT is BACK! Looks like 2010 will be filled with some nail-biters as was 2009. Lisa, Jack, Alex, and Hugh are back! Of the two new guys, the one who washed out last year, I think his name is Greg maybe, can't recall, was bashing Jack all over the place. Don't like that! Jack is SO cool...as are the others. The other rookie had an interesting back story. Hope he does okay.

And Alex, without that beard!!!! Oh my. Makes him look years younger!

Posted by sica077 on 06-09-10 at 00:24 AM
I love Jack and Alex's laugh is infectious . Can't wait for the rest of the season!

Posted by krismiss2us on 06-25-10 at 10:25 PM
But could they stop with all the freakin' replays????? They must be hard up for drama b/c OMG they play teh same scenes over and over.