URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID51
Thread Number: 181
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What IS funny?"

Posted by GoJo on 08-19-04 at 00:26 AM
O.K., you're all comedy fans... So, what do you find funny? Because if you were to believe the so-called "experts", that is, the club owners and lower echelon of execs, they say that YOU want to hear observational material. They tell young beginner comics to do material about their "truth" as a person, etc. I prefer imaginative, intelligent, whimsical stuff, but it's rarer, and harder to find... Also, those comics find it harder to get bookings (see "club owners and lower echelon execs") So, what do YOU think?

GoJo
http://www.gojotv.com

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What IS funny?"
Posted by markcomic1 on 08-20-04 at 07:09 PM
personaly i think the truth is the funniest comedy you can do. Secondly club owners and low level execs do not like truthful comedy they want you to develope a character and all this other crap! I think creative use of the truth is what is lacking in comedy today. No one is creative with the truth like Bill Hicks was. I also think the Marx Brothers slap stick stuff was amazing but it was all based on reality and truth.
www.markanthonyramirez.com

"RE: What IS funny?"
Posted by zazzy on 08-20-04 at 11:44 PM
Bill Hicks!! I was so glad to see he was part of the top comics of all time list that aired on the Comedy Channel a couple of weeks ago.

If you have never heard him, google him up and see what there is to buy. He died young but he made an impact. He was about truth and helping people see the truth with a lot of wry humor.

So, truth with wryness is my style. I was glad John H won LCS. I told some friends part of his routine and they were cracking up. His material was that good--the Christmas wrapping tube, the 'we gotta go' girl at the bar ruining chances of the guy getting laid, and riding down the steps in a laundry basket.

All funny!

GLad we are getting a new dose of comedy after the Olympics.