URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1788
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?"

Posted by LibraRising on 05-11-10 at 12:41 PM
An excerpt from Dan and Jordan's interview from this site:

Reality TV World: That's a couple of different times now in this interview that you guys have mentioned Jet apparently having some problem with Jordan. We really didn't see much of that on the show, can you elaborate on that a little bit?

CBS publicist: Let's talk about their strategic play on the show.

Dan Pious: Jet hates gays, yeah.

Jordan Pious: I mean, but he made comments about Carol and Brandy on the show.

Dan Pious: Yeah, Jet called Jordan a "fag" Saturday night for absolutely no reason and Jordan just said hello to him, so there was something on the Race and I guess, in all fairness, there's some stuff that isn't shown and I think it's an important thing to get out.

Because I don't think there's any doubt that certain things happened and it all plays a part in everyone's reaction. I don't remember exactly what was said on this past episode, but when Jordan was walking away from the counter I believe Jet said something to Jordan.

I'm totally drawing a blank now, but he said something. I'll have to watch the episode again, because I've only seen it once because I'm in New York.

So listen, I think there's some animosity but it really goes one-way. But we'll focus on the positive.

I'll be curious to see how (and if, particularly since the publicist was so quick to jump in) it's addressed in their interview. Jet did say this in another interview:

Q: Jet why didn't you think to move your head when you were standing in front of Jordan and you saw he was doing that?

Jet: Jordan does a lot of things I don't do... (laughs)

Why whatever could he be talking about? Corporate consulting, perhaps? As someone who grew up among a similar cowboy culture, I've heard this uncoded code language before. It certainly makes me feel much less bad about them not winning.

A kyngsladye klassic with an IceCat chaser

Table of contents
  • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Estee, 01:09 PM, 05-11-10
  • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,bullzeye, 08:59 PM, 05-11-10
    • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,CTgirl, 01:51 PM, 05-12-10
    • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Karchita, 10:17 PM, 05-12-10
      • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,LibraRising, 11:02 AM, 05-13-10
        • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Estee, 11:08 AM, 05-13-10
          • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,LibraRising, 12:44 PM, 05-13-10
            • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,emydi, 03:52 PM, 05-13-10
              • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Estee, 04:04 PM, 05-13-10
        • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Karchita, 03:44 PM, 05-15-10
  • Subthread: What else?,HistoryDetective, 04:27 PM, 05-13-10
    • RE: Subthread: What else?,mindy23, 02:02 PM, 05-15-10
      • RE: Subthread: What else?,vince3, 03:46 PM, 05-15-10
      • RE: Subthread: What else?,LibraRising, 08:35 PM, 05-15-10
        • RE: Subthread: What else?,mindy23, 10:04 AM, 05-16-10
          • RE: Subthread: What else?,kidflash212, 10:47 AM, 05-16-10
            • RE: Subthread: What else?,HistoryDetective, 03:52 PM, 05-16-10
              • RE: Subthread: What else?,kidflash212, 05:31 PM, 05-16-10
              • RE: History Detective,mindy23, 11:52 AM, 05-18-10
          • RE: Subthread: What else?,Estee, 11:30 AM, 05-16-10
            • RE: Paranoia some?,mindy23, 10:07 AM, 05-18-10
              • RE: Paranoia some?,kidflash212, 12:26 PM, 05-18-10
                • RE: Paranoia some?,mindy23, 11:06 PM, 05-18-10
                  • RE: Paranoia some?,Snidget, 08:11 AM, 05-19-10
                    • RE: Paranoia some?,mindy23, 09:50 AM, 05-19-10
  • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,MsShel330, 01:06 AM, 05-27-10
    • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,HistoryDetective, 09:55 AM, 05-27-10
    • RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?,Colonel Zoidberg, 04:29 PM, 05-29-10

Messages in this discussion
"RE: A side of the cowboys we weren't privy to?"
Posted by Estee on 05-11-10 at 01:09 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all. For the most part, Jet & Cord got a very protected edit: there were only a few ugly moments, and a gap or two where an ugly moment could have gone. Given the culture they live in added to the producers' determination to play that theme music, most of their black-hat moments were going to land on the cutting-room floor.

(Which, BTW, doesn't mean I'm excusing Caite. Jordan's other comments may hold true, but it's not exactly unusual for a model to be female-homophobic while accepting males -- who are at a 0% chance of making advances.)

Ultimately, this comes down to how much you trust Dan & Jordan as on-site reporters. For this one, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Jet can produce a counter-argument -- but I'd love to hear it.

Posted by bullzeye on 05-11-10 at 08:59 PM
Well, edit or no edit, that would surprise and disappoint me. I liked the cowboys the entire season and was hoping that they won. If the above is true, then it would certainly change the way I viewed them.

Has there been a season with so much overt, and subvert homophobia in the past? I struggle to recall one.

Posted by CTgirl on 05-12-10 at 01:51 PM
Ditto to what bullzy said on both accounts.

Posted by Karchita on 05-12-10 at 10:17 PM
Ditto from me, too. I think Jet and Cord got all their ugly edited out because they were good for ratings as good guys.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by LibraRising on 05-13-10 at 11:02 AM
To be fair, all the interviews I've seen on the subject (still nothing from the guys on here?) it was a Jet problem, not so much a Cord problem.

Posted by Estee on 05-13-10 at 11:08 AM
still nothing from the guys on here

I'd been wondering about that: normally, we get one team a day after the finale. Is it possible that after Dan & Jordan started making statements, the cowboys decided to skip out on the chance to further ruin their own edit?

Or -- and this one's ugly, people -- it could be what happened the last time someone wasn't available for interviews after their on-air departure: 'Sorry, can't talk: gotta get to the airport for All-Stars!'

Fear.

Posted by LibraRising on 05-13-10 at 12:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-10 AT 01:02 PM (EST)

If so, I hope they get a prolonged intersection with the Guidos.

eta: They've been talking to other places, like the hard-hitting E! Online. They mention a campaign to get them on Dancing with the Stars, but Bruno might cause Cord to spontaneously combust. CBS, meanwhile, isn't allowing anyone to talk about it.

I was going to say John and Scott, but that would send everyone to Google.

Posted by emydi on 05-13-10 at 03:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-10 AT 03:53 PM (EST)

The cbs tried to stop Dan in Webby's interview but Dan got it out about what Jet allegedly called Jordan.

It appears WEbby talked to the cowboys first then Dan and Jordan
so he didn't address it with Jet

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-jet-mccoy-and-cord-mccoy-discuss-the-amazing-race-10928.php

Posted by Estee on 05-13-10 at 04:04 PM
I just read it. Webby did his best, but Jet & Cord are horrible interview subjects -- and the accidental ordering of the talks is painful.

Posted by Karchita on 05-15-10 at 03:44 PM
To be fair, all the interviews I've seen on the subject (still nothing from the guys on here?) it was a Jet problem, not so much a Cord problem.

Fair enough. I never bothered to learn which one was which, so obviously I don't care a whole lot, but it isn't fair to lump them together as I did. My two cents? They seem like decent guys with a sense of integrity, but very provicial and close-minded. I have a hard time liking anyone who seems so resistent to anything and everything that is new or different.

Dan and Jordan seem also like ok guys, but petty and vindictive, which is bad in losers and intolerable in winners. They also nasty to each other at times and were really out of line in how they treated some of their cab drivers. I realize that the race is extremely stressful, but how you treat others reveals your character in my book, and with D&J, it wasn't pretty.

This season was a disappointment to me, not only because of who won, but mostly because all the teams in the final four were so weak and unlikable. I didn't want any of them to win.

Bouquet by c2p

"Subthread: What else?"
Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-13-10 at 04:27 PM
Jordan does a lot of things I don't do... (laughs)

So, what else does Jordan do that Plane does not?

Libra already suggested corporate consulting. Here are some other suggestions:

Win the Amazing Race.
Receive a check for a million (well, half million) dollars.
Get instructions from CBS not to answer questions about another team that might call their "integrity" into question or tarnish their extremely positive edit.

What else?

"RE: Subthread: What else?"
Posted by mindy23 on 05-15-10 at 02:02 PM
While I'm not doubting that ANYthing could have been said or done by ANYone and thrown on the cutting room floor, I also feel that there are times where sheer paranoia and/or 'feelings' of someone not accepting your lifestyle could cause you to think you hear something that was or was NOT said!

It would be an understatement to say that the media does not always get things right, and people are human (wow-a revelation of purportions!) and say and do things that they later regret.

IMHO, I think it's best to just move on and leave well enough alone. If Jet or Cord or whoever wants to come out and openly apologize, fine. If not, I'm going to assume it never happened, or that it did, and Dan and Jordon, sadly, will have to move on, because this can't be the first or last time this will happen. In other words: when is the next season of TAR???

Posted by vince3 on 05-15-10 at 03:46 PM
If the pattern follows, sometime in September, during NFL Football season.......

Posted by LibraRising on 05-15-10 at 08:35 PM
While I'm not doubting that ANYthing could have been said or done by ANYone and thrown on the cutting room floor, I also feel that there are times where sheer paranoia and/or 'feelings' of someone not accepting your lifestyle could cause you to think you hear something that was or was NOT said!

No offense, but as someone who has actually had to deal with this before, that is nonsense. When that word is said to you, you know it.

Posted by mindy23 on 05-16-10 at 10:04 AM
>While I'm not doubting that ANYthing
>could have been said or
>done by ANYone and thrown
>on the cutting room floor,
>I also feel that there
>are times where sheer paranoia
>and/or 'feelings' of someone not
>accepting your lifestyle could cause
>you to think you hear
>something that was or was
>NOT said!

>
>No offense, but as someone who
>has actually had to deal
>with this before, that is
>nonsense. When that word
>is said to you, you
>know it.
>
>
>A kyngsladye klassic with
>an IceCat chaser

No offense meant and none taken. I haven't been in THAT particular arena before, but I have been, as most of us, in some other place of being offended by a personal belief, lifestyle, whatever. I also know that when you've made a personal choice that is not especially popular with the mainstream, it can make you a bit 'nervous' shall we say? At least a little, when you are around people who personify the total opposite of who you are, r.e. the cowboys-rough and tough, ranglers of the bull persuation...

Posted by kidflash212 on 05-16-10 at 10:47 AM
Some part of me says to let it pass but I just can't do it. Personal Choice? I find it hard to believe there are still people in this day and age who think sexuality is as simple as a choice. I'm gay (and as rough and tough as the next guy) and I never had this choice. It isn't like I used to like girls but decided to go for a bigger challenge. I've never felt anything in that way towards a female - that's the way I am not something I decided to be.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-16-10 at 03:52 PM
Hey, it's deja vu all over again --- but you knew that already, didn't you? There you go pouncing again.

You know, the first time somebody says something that offensive I'm willing to accept that it was just an expression that lacked art and grace, but when somebody repeatedly pops out with these blanket characterizations of an entire segment of the population then it really does begin to establish a pattern of how that person really views others. But maybe I only feel that way because we gays are so sensitive rather than rough and tough. I'm off to walk my pink poodle now. I'll try not to squeal with glee too much while we're out and about.

Posted by kidflash212 on 05-16-10 at 05:31 PM
While you're out if you hear any slurs directed at you it's probably just you being paranoid and hearing things.

"RE: History Detective"
Posted by mindy23 on 05-18-10 at 11:52 AM
I LOVE Poodles!! So glad we found a common ground!!

Posted by Estee on 05-16-10 at 11:30 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-10 AT 05:53 PM (EST)

hen you are around people who personify the total opposite of who you are,

Bigoted?

Narrow-minded?

Deliberately ignorant and proud of it?

Soul-deep convinced they have a divine sanction for all of the above?

Is there a reason I shouldn't be nervous around those people?

KidFlash already took 'personal choice' and I'm guessing Chip & Reichen would be considered as just going through a phase.

"RE: Paranoia some?"
Posted by mindy23 on 05-18-10 at 10:07 AM
I NEVER said anyone's sexuality was a 'personal choice' did I??? I was talking about my OWN life, and MY own personal choices to live the way I live.

Take it or leave it. I can never win in this conversation, and that is not my point anyway. I don't really care about winning or losing. Point is-I do get to have a point, right? Thank you.

If you want me to go into details, I will be more than happy to, but then we'll just start a whole entire new conversation about MY own personal convictions that interfere or do not confere with YOUR personal convictions, and where will all this stop?

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to leave the board just because a few of you don't like my (me) saying what I want to say. I have never personally attacked any of you. Never felt the need, and still don't.

Posted by kidflash212 on 05-18-10 at 12:26 PM
"I also know that when you've made a personal choice that is not especially popular with the mainstream, it can make you a bit 'nervous' shall we say? At least a little, when you are around people who personify the total opposite of who you are, r.e. the cowboys-rough and tough...

I don't see that anyone attacked you or asked you to leave the boards. You expressed your opinion and we expressed ours. When you used the cowboys as an example of the "total opposite of who you are" you can see why it would be easily interpreted that you were refering to Jordan and his "personal choice".

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Posted by mindy23 on 05-18-10 at 11:06 PM
referring to another not-so-long-ago incident where something very similar came up, and I was (WAS) attacked. But that's ok if you weren't here or don't remember.

I am woman, I am strong, and guess what? I voted for Adam Lambert multiple times to win American Idol because I felt he was the most talented and qualified! See, some people really do NOT know anything about me.

Posted by Snidget on 05-19-10 at 08:11 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-10 AT 08:12 AM (EST)

Does the "but I have a ___________ friend/relative/contestant I like" really mean a person doesn't have any biases in that direction at all? It never really seems to be an effective argument, but it is a commonly used one.

I will say we are in a mixed environment here. All of us are likely interacting in this diverse community with people we may not have in our social circle.

Certain turns of phrase that many of us may be used to using can be offensive to people you may not be used to interacting with. When it seems to happen more than once, it does tend to give off a certain impression.

That being said if you interact on line long enough you will eventually offend someone. IMO that means two choices (and this is a case where people have a choice, and I'll post the ends of the spectrum).

1. Assume all the _____________ are just oversensitive whiny babies and choose to not change anything about yourself, after all you might just be better than them, anyway.

2. Decide that you will look at how you type and if that comes off in a way you didn't intend and try to make it up to those that were hurt by your words (even if that wasn't the point you were trying to make).

Anyway, I don't assume the cowboys never met someone like the brothers (and visa versa) whatever criteria anyone wants to use to say they are sooooo different.

To show my bias, I think it is a testosterone thing and both teams have a competitive streak in them. I expect there will be a few incidents along the way. It is the nature of the hormones and what happens when something pretty big is at stake. Heck I've seen guys do worse over who gets the last rib at a BBQ.

Posted by mindy23 on 05-19-10 at 09:50 AM
ITA, Snidget! Good points, and as far as I'M concerned, case closed...

Posted by MsShel330 on 05-27-10 at 01:06 AM
I'm a bit confused at the turn of this thread (it could be the vodka cranberries though ;) ) but as an African American woman, bigotry doesn't surprise me. And the old "some of my best friends are _______" doesn't mean squat. People make exceptions, at least on the surface, for people that they deem safe; or safe until they mess up and land back in the crap pile with the rest of their group.
I don't know why TAR is edited the way that it is but I wouldn't be shocked if a southern/mid western rural man was homophobic. I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't be shocked. On the other hand, I've known unlikely people to be very tolerant and accepting of diverse groups.
Having said that, I found a lot of the teams on this cycle to be somewhat unlikeable for various reasons. At the end of it, the show is about ratings and we should remember that.
Even though I didn't really like Dan & Jordan for a lot of the race, at the end I was happy for them because they were fans just like me and it affirmed that any of us could win TAR too.

Posted by HistoryDetective on 05-27-10 at 09:55 AM
bigotry doesn't surprise me

I also thought it was interesting that so many people were surprised. While it would not be fair for anybody to expect the cowboys to have problems with gay people, I do not understand being surprised that they do.

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 05-29-10 at 04:29 PM
And the old "some of my best friends are _______" doesn't mean squat.

It's the oldest fallback in the book, a trick bigots and ingorant people use to make themselves feel better about themselves. It really doesn't mean squat. If anything, they are worse than regular bigots - at least regular, standard-issue bigots are honest. Honest a-holes, but honest nonetheless.

That said, some of my best friends are stupid people.