URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 177
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rock Star Love List: week 10"

Posted by dreamerbeliever on 09-14-05 at 00:41 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 01:09 AM (EST)

Week ten performances have come and gone. Have your feelings of admiration for some or loathing for others been changed? Time to fess up. Who are you diggin’ and whom would like to help show the door too?

Since this was the final performance show, this will also be the last Love List I just want to take a moment to thank each and every one of you who have expressed your thoughts throughout the course of this wonderful series. From the lurkers who came out of hiding, to the new posters who happened upon these boards one day, to the longtime DAW board posters who made this their weekly one-stop shop to express their thoughts. I’ve had a blast and I hope you did as well.

1. Marty Casey (6,4,2,4,1,3,6,2,1) – Okay I’ll be right up front, JD gave a better set this week but Marty gets my final #1 ranking. Quite simply - I want him to win. Being a genuinely nice guy from my home state of Illinois doesn’t hurt either Not exactly sure why he decided to perform an acoustic version of Trees, the full version was much better. With Creep being his other song, he really needed to rock out before slowing down. Creep was hit and miss at times with a few cringe moments. With those negatives said, it really doesn’t matter at this stage of the game because in my mind, Marty is the right man for the gig. He really is the only one left in this competition that I would feel compelled to go out and purchase the new INXS album.

2. J.D. Fortune (13,3,7,2,7,7,2,6,2) – Great set again, if I only didn’t know about past behavior. Does INXS want a bad boy as their lead singer ... maybe? You could almost see the dollar signs in their eyes as he sung Pretty Vegas. Did he really lay a wet one on Dave? I think he did! Really wish he wouldn’t have gotten wrapped up in playing a Mark Burnett reality show in the beginning. Being a schemer and plotter for this particular show was not the right choice. Should have just let his talent keep him on the bands radar screen.

3. Mig Ayesa (12,11,4,3,5,2,4,4,5) – Mig had two telling comments this week for me. First was the Jordis comment on the Sunday reality show. Even though Jordis was off the show, it was a new beginning for her. Wondering if he’s thinking the same for himself. Second was at the performance show tonight. The fact that he hasn’t been in the bottom three should tell the band something. Huh? So teenage girls who think he’s a cutie and are voting non-stop makes him a good choice for an established band of 40 something’s? Loree brought over a great quote in the spoiler thread, Paint it Beige. Clearly the theatre has taken hold. Much like Marty, Mig is a genuinely nice guy but when you compare the vocal cords between the two, Marty wins.

4. Suzie McNeil (14,8,12,8,6,4,3,3,3) – Wow! The tongue bath of Suzie was so unwarranted yet again. I believe they did it simply to justify taking her (the final female) to the finale. Vocally, Suzie was just plain sloppy tonight. I felt as though she was the first victim in the movie Jaws at times gasping for air. She should go this week but my money is on Mig.

Booted: Jordis Unga (2,1,1,1,2,1,7,1,4) – Oh my sweet Jordis, where to begin? Rather than ramble on and on about how much I love the girl, cause you all know I do, all I’ll say is that the anticipation of driving back from a music shop with my brand new Jordis Unga CD in my stereo is great. Jordis is a star and I’m glad she didn’t win

And for the last time ... I showed you mine, now you show me yours.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rock Star Love List: week 10"
Posted by cycles2k on 09-14-05 at 02:09 AM
Mig - I really enjoyed his arrangement of Paint It Black. Tonight my opinion of him went up because he demonstrated a little more vocal power. This is a genuinely nice guy and I think he would do a great job for INXS.

Marty - Trees is a nice song with strange lyrics. Going accoustic with Dave Navaro was the right touch in my opinon and I enjoyed it. I don't like that song Creep so it was hard to appreciate and it sounded a little off to me. My wife adores him but she adores me too, so I'm OK with that.

JD - I have not much enjoyed JD's performances but thought he showcased his powerful voice well tonight. Grudgingly, my opinion of him has improved.

Suzie - I like Suzie but I did not find tonight's performance terribly inspiring.

Brook - OK that scene of her walking away from the camera in the teeny weeny micro mini was too much. I enjoyed it, but it was still too much.

Jordis - Sigh, I missed her tonight.

The last love list and the last performance show. Thanks for keeping this thread going week after week dreamer.

Posted by jpl68 on 09-14-05 at 09:56 AM
How Simon Cowell might have commented:

Suzie: Suzie, . . . at least you looked great.

J.D.: I think with that performance, you have won this competition.

Marty: Its unfortunate for you Marty that you had to follow J.D. I thought your performance was OooKay, but it was not your best performance and I thought your version of Trees last week was better. The problem Marty is that Ok simply doesn't cut it at this stage of the competition.

Mig: So what! No, I mean really, Kiss from a Rose was nice. I personally thought Paint it Black was a mess, but regardless, . . . so what.

Posted by kay_tin on 09-14-05 at 03:01 AM
My humble opinion...

JD- I've have my issues with him, but it ultimately comes down to the fact that he above all the others seems to really want this particular gig. He's done a great job of creating professional sets the last couple of weeks, and I happen to like Pretty Vegas. I thought he did the best job tonight, and I see him as the best fit for INXS.

Marty- He seems like a nice guy, and I really want to like him. I hate the screaming though, and think the fact that he feels INXS should meet him halfway is both wrong and deceptive. He feels like he wants to front a grungier band and I just don't see it as a great fit. I'm sure he's on to great things, just not this. I wholeheartedly agree with the lack of something tonight. Trees isn't nearly as good acoustically, and I wonder why he keeps doing that when he's auditioning for a band, not another single guitarist.

Suzie- I want to root for the final female, but I don't see her as the lead singer of INXS. Tonight's performance left me cold. I think she's got a great voice, and I can see her as a soloist, but not in this genre.

MiG- I just don't think he's at JD & Marty's level. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I don't seeing him being vocally strong enough to do this. I think musical theatre and cheesy songs ala Whatshisname Marx. Richard!

Posted by freefromwhatyouare on 09-14-05 at 03:58 AM
Well the show is almost over and I think its probably the best music related reality show yet....however it does have it's limitations and lack of talent. But we will wait till it's over to get into all that's wrong with the way musicians and music are used on T.V.

Last night's performances:

Suzie:

Once again we see her vocal limitations and once again she can't get through a song without messing up the lyrics. She seems to try and act like a "Rock Star" but she comes off as fake and really makes herself seem cheesy and lame. She reminds one of a high school talent show performer.

J.D.

I liked how he took 'Money' and stayed somewhat true to the original...This is really my fav performance by him...and I think 'Pretty Vegas' is a decent song, but not something I would spin on my player. INXS will never sell mega in the states again..so if they want to stick his voice on the songs they already wrote and tour..then drop his #####..then do it. INXS will be nothing more than a blurb on the radar with or without any of these vocalists.

Marty:

By far the most talented of the crew....His voice has distance and makes you wake up and take notice. Radiohead's 'Creep' is a deep song that screams pain and loneliness. I think he did ok with it, but the mix was horrible at least on my sound system..couldn't really hear the vocal. Marty doesn't need this gig and getting on the show will give him and his band a little needed exposure. So mission accomplished..Nice work Marty.

Mig:

Big theater background....this is not something that should hurt a musician. Michael H. was a great performer and learned some chops on some smaller stages. Didn't enjoy what he did tonight with 'Paint it Black' and his second song just didn't have the feeling and passion of it's original intent. Mig has some talent but is not a front man.

Well now it's up to the underwhelming sunglass crew to pick a singer...Most would run from this gig with a band that will never be what they were with Michael. The upcoming album will sell a little over a mill worldwide...thats with like 35 grand being sold here in the states. You won't be hearing much from these cats no matter who sings with this band.

I enjoyed the show at times over the last weeks and think shows of this type are more in line with reality than watching a bunch of losers talking about peanut butter and butt cracks in some cheesy house.

Peace and Love!

Michael...

Posted by photokitty on 09-14-05 at 03:29 AM
1. SUZIE: She has the best voice. They have said this repeatedly. Any other objections (I don't have any objections, btw) can be changed, ie, appearance, movement, whatever. She has rock, soul, funk, power, & softness. Vocally, she was not at her best tonight, but her overall performance was good & I still think she should win.

2. MARTY: I liked this version of Trees, but I liked the full band version better. It's a good song--I hope it gets released, either with INXS or with The Lovehammers. Creep was pretty good, but there were some times where he tried to do something he shouldn't have (you know what I'm talking about.) He's good, and if they don't choose Suzie I hope they choose him.

3. JD: I was liking Pretty Vegas, in spite of myself. He did well with Money, too, except for that bit at the end where he messed up the timing. A good set, but I still don't want him to win. He won't be sent home on Wednesday, though.

4. MIG: Paint It Blech. It's not called POPSTAR: INXS, is it? He proved that he's just too ShinyHappyPeople tonight. His version of Paint It Black was just too cheerful, and he should not have rearranged it--he took the intensity right out of it. His version of Kiss From A Rose was nice, but his thin voice just made me want to play the Seal version. This is him being dark, huh? If this was American Idol, he'd win, but I'm thinking that in this case, nice guys do finish last. (OK, fourth.) Time to go home.

Posted by weltek on 09-14-05 at 10:08 AM
I agree Suzie has a great voice, but I still don't feel INXS is the right band for her. And that's what this competition is about-working with INXS.

I look forward to Suzie finding her niche.

Posted by cheesybread on 09-14-05 at 07:56 AM

1) JD - Consistently the most engaging performer and complete package. He wants it the most out of any of them and I think that is clear. With the exception of We are the Champions I have not disliked any of his performances.

2) Marty - A good performer but sometimes I always watch him with my head to one side. Sort of like a little side show, especially when he gets into "the stare". He captured the emotion of creep, but had a couple of nails-on-chalkboard moments.

3) Mig - Though fairly uninspired, he sang well. He didn't seem to know what to do to get the crowd into the songs. He seems more comfortable behind a piano then out front without anything.

4) Suzie - (Big STP fan here) I'm angry about what she did to Interstate Love Song. With the band, and Dave, all sounding great, she was weak, lost and generally non-existed in the song. I actually found myself wishing she would just shut up so I could listen to the music without her (occasionally, audible) interference. Would have loved to here Jordis or Deanna do What's up?. Suzie, not so much...

Tidbits:
Brook Burke may be monotone, dry, uninspiring, etc. But she's HOT! Sorry had to be said...

It is interesting that half of the final 4 singers were almost ejected on the first show. If Dana hadn't been so bad as to give INXS no choice, the outcome might have been very different. Suzie forgot her lyrics, which Tim said was basically inexcusable, and the band was very put off by JD's epilepsy (sp?)...er dancing on stage.

Thanks for the entertainment. It has been worth the verbal abuse my wife gives me for "geeking out" on these message boards.

Posted by Glow on 09-14-05 at 08:06 AM
1. JD - Wow. I don't want to say much because I'm a jinx and I don't know if it works in reverse or not. But wow. I really enjoyed him.
2. Marty - The top spot was kind of a toss up for me but it really came down to JD just entertaining the audience more. Marty? I love his voice, I love watching him sing.
3. MiG - It was taking the shirt off that put him in third spot. Yowza. Seriously though, I thought he did really well. It was highly entertaining. Weak voice? Yeah, maybe a bit. But it's strong enough.
4. Suzie - Actually, she did earn the bottom spot for me (even if MiG left his clothes on). She just seemed outdone last night. Still, I love her voice.

Posted by Breezy on 09-14-05 at 09:17 AM
1. JD- another well put together set.
2. Marty- only because the other two weren't as good.
3. MiG- ick.
4. Suzie- a little weak last night, I think she blew it. She could have been in the top 3.

IceCat is da man! GO PACK GO!!!!

Posted by Moother on 09-14-05 at 09:48 AM
Marty : I love everything he does, would definitely buy his music.
Suzie : Great voice,she would be great with INXS
Mig : Good voice, lots of fans, great body, nice guys shouldn't finish last!
J.D.: Good voice but I think he lacks range. I just can't stand the dude.

Posted by mmcook on 09-14-05 at 10:09 AM
I'm going to do a couple of love lists:

Who do I love in INXS:

1. JD
2. MiG
3. Marty
4. Suzie

Who do I love on their own:

1. Marty
2. JD
3. MiG
4. Suzie

Last night sealed it for me - Marty is not right for this band. I'm trying to keep my head straight on who should be getting these votes and WHY (I mean, what's the real prize here..). All in all, I guess I'm not a Suzie fan, so the top three are firm for me either way. I want Marty to stay in it just to hear more of him. But I can't see him successfully fronting THIS band. INXS doing "Trees"??? Come on. I can't get it out of my head, but do it with somebody else - PLEASE! He's quite a salesman though, I will say. When he sits in front of the band, he is not intimidated at all. He's knows how to sell himself. MiG and Suzie are intimidated, while JD is quite a butt-kisser.

Overall, I just think JD is perfect for this gig. His song is awesome, and INXS obviously love it. He brings a good blend of traditional, without introducing too much of a radical style change for the band (while still bringing them a modern edge). From a logical and objective view of what this competition is about, JD has to take it for me at this point (assuming his attitute is controllable to the point of not being self-destructive).

MiG could be assimilated into the band, and be successful. Let's face it - it's INXS we're talking about. It's not like we're replacing the lead singer of Queen or something.

Posted by weltek on 09-14-05 at 10:05 AM
1. J.D. Hands down, he's the best for the job. He has powerful vocals. Maybe not the MOST versatile vocals, but he can make things work. This week he REALLY toned down the smarminess & just was plain sexy.

2. Marty. My opinion of Marty is dropping a lot. He doesn't have great vocals. In today's era, you don't have to have great vocals, but I think for INXS, they really WANT great vocals. And he still freaks me out watching him. I think he'll be better off back with the Lovehammers, making them famous.

3. Mig. Paint it Black was probably his best rock performance, however, I thought it was just okay. That certain tonal quality he has in the upper range drives me nuts. It's there in every song. I'm over it. However, I think Mig could do well as a pop solo act, playing his piano & singing.

4. Suzie. Ugh. What was that vocal mess? And I wish she'd quit trying the sexy slide against the band members. It looks awkward. And quit falling down at the end of songs! If it breaks you that much to perform a song, you can't handle the pressure. And she has no songwriting or aranging talents. I think INXS wants someone with those talents.

Posted by mmcook on 09-14-05 at 10:13 AM
"4. Suzie. Ugh. What was that vocal mess? And I wish she'd quit trying the sexy slide against the band members. It looks awkward. And quit falling down at the end of songs! If it breaks you that much to perform a song, you can't handle the pressure. And she has no songwriting or aranging talents. I think INXS wants someone with those talents."

REALLY well said weltek. I remember mentioning that to my wife last night about Suzie breaking down as if drained. It was 2 songs!! Can't see her pulling off a whole show as a frontman..err..woman...err...person, frontperson.

Good point on the songwriting/arranging. Forgot about that, and it's important.

I agree on your other points as well, but just wanted to chime in on that last one.

Posted by jpl68 on 09-14-05 at 10:14 AM
I agree with everthing you have said, except that I thought Paint it Black was miserable. I have been trying to put into words something about Mig's high range for a few weeks, as I find it annoying as well. You have stated nicely what I have been thinking for weeks. The other thing you mentioned which I commented to my wife about last night was Suzie and the sliding up next to the band. J.D. did this, but did it while he was also singing. It appeared natural. I don't think anything looks dumber than when the lead singer goes up and plays like air guitar with the guitar player. Suzie didn't look natural with what she was doing and frankly, looked like a stripper dancing next to a pole, but unfortunately even though that was what I was thinking, I still didn't find it appealing or sexy.

"RE: sliding on the band"
Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-15-05 at 03:09 PM
Yeah, you know you have a problem when a guy is sexier with the male band members than you.

Loree adds some great comments the discussion of JD's sexiness on the hints thread.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=186&forum=DCForumID88&omm=18

There hasn't been a sexy woman since Deanna. Bummer.

Posted by youngatheart on 09-14-05 at 10:14 AM
I can't believe I'm actually doing to admit this....I've been a Mig fan for a long time.....was anti-JD for reasons not related to his music.....But I think JD should win. There I said it. I think he brings to the band what they are looking for.

I like Mig for his ballads...but I'm not sure he has that unique "edge" a lead singer needs. Six pack abs are a plus....

Marty...I enjoy seeing what he's going to come up with each week but, dude, just don't think he's on the same page as INXS. That's a positive for him. I definetly think we'll hear him on the radio at some point.

Suzie....I think she has a powerful voice and I think she'd have a great chance as a recording artist, but don't think she's cut out to be the lead singer of a band. She barely made thru her two songs without passing out.

Posted by CattyChat on 09-14-05 at 12:51 PM
J.D. FORTUNE!!! - Again, J.D. brings down the house. By far the best performance of the night. He rose to the challenge of Money, proving he has the chops & of course that lively tune Pretty Vegas. Next week, I am looking forward to hearing, "J.D., mate, you are just right for our band, INXS!!!!" Oh, plus standing O's by INXS after both songs!!

Oh, you mean there were other performers last night??

I think 2nd/3rd are too close to call --

2. Suzie – I think I give Suzie the slightest edge for 2nd. While she really tanked on Interstate, both vocally & forgetting lyrics, she really pulled it together & did a great job on What's Up. Overall, Suzie has really done great vocally(IMO) in past weeks. She has a great voice & just needs to hone a little inner J.D. so she has some stage presence for her performances. Sweet little Suzie got a standing O from her fans INXS following What's Up. I think she'll probably be in the final 3. She is exceptional vocally, INXS really loves her & I think they will want to keep some estrogen in the show for the finals.

3. Marty - Very so/so performance by Marty last night. He performed much better last week. I have given Marty props for his style & performances, although I have never been a real fan of his singing or his look & style.

Train Wreck . . .
4. MiG – By far MiG's worst performance yet. I think INXS chose those songs for a reason & that is to put the focus on MiG's vocal weaknesses for all his little teen fans. I'm shocked INXS was so kind with their comments. I guess MiG will blame J.D. again for whipping the audience into a mouth-foaming frenzy, which made MiGgy too nervous to perform his songs.

Posted by AndrewTN on 09-14-05 at 01:29 PM
#1 JD....what more can I say that I haven't on previous threads. The guy is riveting to watch. The only one with a confident stage presence for this kind of music. Vocally he is good and will improve with hard touring. Last night he rocked. I was initally worried that he might stumble with Money but he did an awesome job. That song is not as easy as most might think…the timing is weird and the vocals are challenging. Loved it!! And as for Pretty Vegas…like Kirk said…I haven't been able to stop singing this song since I first heard it either. It may not be as sophistocated as some would like but at the end of the day it's a rock song and a damn enjoyable one at that. It was interesting to see that all the INXS guys were singing along to Pretty Vegas…first time I've seen them actually singing to the performances.

The rest…blah….nothing interesting. Suzie was embarrassingly bad. Her voice was strained over both songs. Has she ever sang more than just one song sets in her life because after the first she was really struggling. She has no stage presence. Is like a lost little kitten on stage. She can't move and when she tries to interact with the other band members it's embarrasing. Everytime she gets on stage it's like it's her very first time. Why people say she has the best voice is beyond me. In all the years I have listened & played music I just don't understand the praise she gets. Marty….as I said last week..IMHO….Trees is a sappy cheesy bubble gum pop song. At least it was easier to stomach last week than stripped down accoustically. He can't even sing grunge songs well. Radiohead is an awesome band and I remember my band covering Creep numerous times back when it was a hit…it's just one of those songs you couldn't resist doing….I am not claiming that we were any good but I hope we weren't as boring as Marty was. Again I just don't understand the attraction. Mig again showed that his vocals are weak. He was lost in the mix during paint it black. If you are going to step up the arrangement like that you need to be sure your vocals can compete with it. Kiss From A Rose again just highlighted his vocal limits. I didn't realize he had done so much theater. Has he ever been in a band? If he's not in the bottom 3 of this 4 this time there is something wrong. All 3 of them were mediocre at best.

Posted by trigirl on 09-14-05 at 02:06 PM
Wow, Dreambeliever...

I was blown away by your early rankings. I didn't watch then, so I find it interesting. Did they svck then or have they just grown on you over time?

J.D. Fortune (13,3,7,2,7,7,2,6,2)
Mig Ayesa (12,11,4,3,5,2,4,4,5)
Suzie McNeil (14,8,12,8,6,4,3,3,3)

Posted by weltek on 09-14-05 at 02:49 PM
I'll take a stab at this, trigirl.

Suzie was soooo uncomfortable during the first few weeks. Her voice was shaky and she had ZERO stage presence.

JD was quite freakish on the first episode. He looked like he was having seizures. I recall liking his voice, but he was a freak. INXS told him that & the next week, he was a changed man.

I don't know, I thought Mig was pretty good at the begining.

Posted by dreamerbeliever on 09-14-05 at 04:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 04:47 PM (EST)

Weltek said why JD & Suzie were so low on my first love list. JD had the Elvis moves out in full force in the beginning. Suzie was the first to blow the lyrics to song. Even went so far as to say Suzie wasn't long for the game ... whoops!

As for Mig, actually I'm kind of proud of myself that I nailed Mig had a weak voice in week one

Want to reminisce the week one love list? We had a whopping 11 post back then, and the Welt was right there with me ...

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID88/8.shtml

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-14-05 at 09:19 PM
1 - JD
2 - All those crotch shots of Dave Navarro. OMG that was so hot and the camera operator musta been....someone who REALLY liked his hot hot hot body..................

um, what was the question????