URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1765
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"WHat Not to Wear"

Posted by eire_heart74 on 12-31-06 at 09:30 AM
I know this isn't your typical reality show but I had to just see if there are any other people that watch this show too.

I'm always kind of dumbfounded how mean the two hosts are to the make over canidate. Granted their clothes are almost always terrible and combined with the fact that they are usually in great denial that they are out of date or completely off the planet with their style choices. But that Stacey and Clinton really rip them a new one to the point of being bullies.

Anyone else wonder why we haven't heard any guest on that show snap and whack them both?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: WHat Not to Wear"
Posted by nanrabbit on 01-01-07 at 10:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-01-07 AT 10:13 PM (EST)

Hi, I have been watching the show for years. There have been guests (victims) who have stood their ground and refused some of the ideas that the hosts have given. Some people have refused to cut their hair but most seem to conform to whatever they say and are happy in the end. There was one lady once who got another haircut when she did not like what Nick had done.

Posted by eire_heart74 on 01-02-07 at 07:45 AM
I have seen one show where a woman absolutely refused to let him cut a hair on her head and really she should of. (it was just a big curtain hanging off her head and did nothing for her other than make her look 10 years older)

The ones that really get me are the moms they are making over. I guess because I am a stay at home I take it personal but most of the moms I know wouldn't have the 5 thousand dollars to go spend on clothes. Nor will they be able to afford to keep up the look they get. If my son needs shoes and so do I, guess where I go? Target, Walmart, etc... No three hundred dollar high heels for me.

I think I would love to challenge them to do a wardobe of clothes in these kinds of stores. Because that's realistic.

Posted by nanrabbit on 01-02-07 at 08:00 PM
It also really kills me when they give the price of what the person bought. I could probably get an outfit for what some of them spend on a skirt. I think Stacy and Clinton aren't good for when there needs to be a realistic look at what people could afford to buy. I did see one show where they seemed to send the guy to stores that were more reasonable but they are in New York so I am sure it is more expensive.

Posted by udg on 01-03-07 at 10:48 PM
I would never do it, because I'm not thick skinned enough to deal with them telling me how terrible I already look.

However, if I ever *did* do it, I would really want them to come to my home town and take me shopping THERE. Anyone can find great clothes in NY (with a $5,000 budget), but many of us would love to be able to shop at our local mall and find clothes that look great for less than $100 per piece!

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by Puffy on 01-02-07 at 11:23 PM
Good idea of yours to have them buy clothes at Target, K-Mart, Mervyn's, Kohl's, etc. to see how well they look. I bet they could come up with some great looks.

It’s an Arkie original

Posted by nanrabbit on 01-03-07 at 11:32 PM
I guess that would be a great idea for a twist on the show. In my current residence there are no stores that you can do clothes shopping and the nearest place is 20 minutes away. The only choices they would have would be Walmart and Zellers (Canadian store that is like KMart). I would LOVE to see how Stacy and Clinton reacted with that. There are a few other smaller retail stores like Bootlegger and Reitman's but there is not too much variety.

Posted by Wasabi on 01-04-07 at 11:42 AM
I watch this show and I like it. Stacey and Clinton might be a little too harsh but, common, it's a show! They need some prickly commentary for entertainment purposes and honestly, these people need a reality check to shake them up a little.

As for taking people to high-end shops instead of Wal-Mart, it makes total sense to me. This is probably once in a lifetime opportunity to go on the amazing shopping spree, you might as well do it in the best way possible. Would you suggest them getting a haircut at HairZoo or SuperCuts? No, you go for the best for the best makeover possible.

As far as taking lessons learnt to the real world - it is totally possible. They are talking about basic rules that anyone can adopt. For example, they always advocate dark wash, straight leg jeans. You don't have to spend $300 on them, I took this lesson to Kohl's and got myself a nice pair of Lee's for $25 and received many compliments on them.

Their lesson is to know your body, what works for it and not letting yourself go.
There wasn't a single commentary where people said that the show affected them in a negative way. They all state they learnt a lot, feel better about themselves and are more confident. In my opinion, taking a few jabs along the way to get you to a better place is not that bad.

Posted by geg6 on 01-08-07 at 11:40 AM
Agreed. With pretty much everything you said. Stacy and Clinton know what they're talking about. The people who are lucky enough to be picked for the show should be able to take it. I'd kill to get that $5000 and Stacy and Clinton as my personal shoppers. But, since I've pretty much taken every snippet of their advice since I started watching, that probably will never happen because I'm too well-dressed! LOL!

And, honestly? Sometimes high end is the only way to go. I've learned that lesson with jeans in a big way. And I can only credit Stacy and Clinton with teaching me that. How I manage high end is the real trick. Sometimes I just bite the bullet and pay because when you find the perfect fit you have to just go with it. That's what I finally did with jeans. I pay an somewhat outrageous price for them, but since I'll wear them for years, I've accepted the sacrifice. I found them at Macy's after trying on over two dozen pairs. I bought one pair there and then went online to the manufacturer's website (Ralph Lauren) and, after signing up there, got a bit of a discount on the two pairs I bought there. Since then, that manufacturer sends me emails and mailings with discounts, so that has worked for some other purchases I've made with them since.

I comb the Marshall's, the Macy's, and the Boscov's here for the higher end designer duds that I know work for me. I wait for discounts and often purchase out of season. I go shopping with my most worn pieces in mind and find things that can go with everything or a lot of things.

For trendy and casual stuff, there's no reason not to shop at Kohl's or Target. I don't spend big bucks on that stuff. I save it for my career stuff and, generally, never pay full price for even that.

The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone. — Henrik Ibsen
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

Posted by Snidget on 01-08-07 at 12:36 PM
Yep. Most of what they have them spend fairly large amounts of money on are pieces that will last many seasons and can be paired with whatever is trendy with accessories or a cheap pieces from any store that will update it without a lot of money.

I'd hate to have 5K and only be able to spend it on clothes that will fall apart within a year. Although sometimes price doesn't help with that. Some of the discount stuff I have lasts longer than the "better" stuff, you just have to try the different lines until you find which work and is worth the price.

What amazes me is how much difference the cut of the clothes can make in what someone appears to weigh/how they are proportioned. I do think some of where they shop is so they will be at places that will have enough variety of cuts and styles that you can find the things that work for a person. Once you know what works you can look for that at any price range. It may not be available everywhere, but sooner or later the shape you need does happen to be in the store. I've been known to stock up during years when stuff that fits me well is in style. Just stick with the stuff in colors or patterns that aren't trendy. Black slacks may not be in style, but they will never be out, even in the cut that works with my body.

It's a tribe creation!

Posted by MKitty on 01-11-07 at 03:59 PM
YEah, I also agree with you Geg. I love the show, watch it all the time and take Stacey and Clinton's advise. My DH even bought me their book last year.

I think they are funny and not usually mean-spirited. Anyone who has seen their show know they are not there to belittle the person, but rather to help them be the best they can be. I also concur with the idea of spending the $5000 on quality, as I can go out to Walmart and Zellers and get a lot more clothes, but they usually will have fallen apart within the year. Do I still shop at cheap places? Heck yes...but I also learned the lesson of buying quality and tailoring pieces to fit me. I really do believe it makes a huge difference on how you are perceived.

A Tribe original!

Posted by ginger on 01-08-07 at 01:28 PM
Just wanted to put a little credit in here for Trinny and Susannah, the UK hosts who started the whole thing. They go the extra mile by revealing how "flawed" their own bodies are and what they are wearing to mask those flaws. They also have a fun coffee-table type book out.

If it weren't for the Hidden Footage component, I'd LURVE to be a makeover recipient on this show.

Posted by Puffy on 01-09-07 at 05:52 PM
Stacy is a regular contributor on the Today show. Today she showed fashions from K-Mart and Old Navy...how to dress well and look great on a budget.

It’s an Arkie original

Posted by geg6 on 01-10-07 at 11:07 AM
She was on Oprah (might have been a rerun) yesterday, too. The show was about how to find the best jeans/pants for your back side. The examples ran the price gamut from Gap to Alexander McQueen. She showed how you can find perfect jeans that minimize your derriere's flaws no matter what your budget. And what to wear with them to make them even more flattering. I love her. Just love her.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Henry David Thoreau

Posted by ginger on 01-10-07 at 11:35 AM
She used to have floppy forearms and I always wondered why she wore sleeveless tops. Now she looks wunderbar.

Anyone else watch "How Do I Look?" on Style? Similar, although the "victim's" friends and family join stylists in choosing new wardrobes/haircuts/makeup schemes for them.

It's not as good but it is completely watchable girlie fun. The have weird people like Andre from Project Runway as guest stylist or Joyce of Uchenna 'n' Joyce (TAR) as a makeover-ee.

Posted by geg6 on 01-10-07 at 05:42 PM
I have two girlfriends with whom I watch "How Do I Look" on OnDemand. We laugh our azzes off at how PO'd some of the poor makeover-ees (I like that word. I'm stealing it) get at the family comments, not so much the stylists.

Posted by nailbone on 01-10-07 at 02:55 PM
DW and I watch all the time, and I've actually taken some things from a couple of the few "guy" shows they've done, and updated my wardrobe a bunch. And done so at good real-world prices (3 shirts, 2 slack, sox and a pair of shoes for $250).