URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1764
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Armed & Famous: worst reality idea ever?"

Posted by Estee on 12-27-06 at 11:35 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-27-06 AT 01:08 PM (EST)

'We're going to take celebrities. We're going to give them guns. Badges. Law enforcement powers over the citizens of Muncie, Indiana. And then we're going to hope no one dies.'

There are ways to make this even worse than it sounds, but most of them involve putting this fiasco on VH1 and giving all of the above to the Surreal Life cast of your choice. Janice has a gun... Janice has a gun...

(Insert nightmare here.)

But this is on CBS, and the cast of choice is:

Erik Estrada. (Okay, so he knows how to fake holding a gun.)
Trish Stratus. (Okay, so she knows how to hold a chair.)
Jason 'Wee Man' Acuna. (Okay, so he knows how to get shot.)
Jack Osbourne. (Okay, so he knows how to wish he was getting shot.)
LaToya Jackson. (Okay, so she knows how to destroy an entire country in three seconds. What's one city?)

On the bright side, they're going to experience taser hits on camera.

On the dark side -- remember what I said about the guns?

Starts January 10th. Has anyone seen Muncie lately? Is there anything left?

ETA link to the official website: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/armed_and_famous/ I can't get the video clips to load. This may be a blessing.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Armed & Famous: worst reality idea ever?"
Posted by Bebo on 12-27-06 at 12:44 PM
Estee, please do the world a favor and summarize this one. Please.

And I would also like to ask people to stop picking on the law enforcement in NC, since at least ours is not a part of a fiasco like this.

Posted by Estee on 12-27-06 at 01:07 PM
I'm guessing this is your subtle way of saying you'd like to see this thing die a painful, fast, and especially early death. If so, you'll need someone else: I'm not writing any summaries until S:SI is finished. That's probably not going to happen by January 10th.

Why don't you summarize it? You have a nice, lethal touch. And from what I hear, they're all non-elimination episodes, so you should be used to the format.

You almost have to not-hate the theme line: 'Dancing is for wimps!'

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 12-28-06 at 01:31 PM
I agree that this will likely be the trainwreck to end all trainwrecks. Which is why I wouldn't mind summarizing an episode (depending on how quickly it's cancelled). I need something else on my resume besides TAR and The Scholar.

But I'll be away for the first two (again, wishful thinking?) episodes.

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

Posted by Estee on 12-28-06 at 02:15 PM
The Big Eye's record for any series actually reaching the air is one episode, set (or at least tied) by -- ugh -- Poison Penny and The Will. So based on precedent, there's at least a chance they'll kill this thing early. And possibly even often. So by the time the schedule reaches Episode #3, we could be looking at prime-time TPIR airings. Goodbye, Bob! And take LaToya with you.

Honestly: how is this not a VH1 series?

Posted by Snidget on 12-28-06 at 03:51 PM
I thought all new VH1 series must include Miss and I use that term loosely New York?

Hall's Decked by Tribe!

Egads have you seen the previews for that VH1 trainwreck. I had to slo-mo part of it to figure out that was a porpoise she was kissing not a giant dildo.

Posted by Cygnus X1 on 12-28-06 at 04:57 PM
I remember VH1's positioning statement, "Music First", like it was nineteen eighty-something.

Tribe strikes again!
You've been warned, so don't complain.

Posted by maryellennaco on 12-27-06 at 05:09 PM
So I only know a couple of these people but perhaps while in "training" (use of the word loosely) the Crook has an automatic weapon of some kind and takes the whole lot of them out??? JMHO

"unfortunately, no"
Posted by cqvenus on 12-29-06 at 12:42 PM

people just can't seem to get enough of COPS (longest-running reality show), OR celebrities, so throwing them together should be a horrifyingly boring success.

i'm just surprised FOX hasn't released their copycat version yet.

~ cqc

Posted by Scuba Steve on 01-03-07 at 10:17 AM
I may watch one episode to see if Trish is wearing a super-tight police uniform. Otherwise, I hope they all kill each other.

Posted by LisaPles on 01-04-07 at 09:30 AM
When I saw the promo for this I thought that now we have seen everything in the world of reality TV. How long before someone gets killed filming a reality show!

"LMAO"
Posted by Prof_ Wagstaff on 01-04-07 at 10:10 AM
Well Estee, the clips loaded for me.

I watched Everyone Must Get Tasered, and I wish I had been loaded.

After being tasered, Erik Estrada claims, "One of my testicles has enlarged from getting zapped by a taser." (I wonder how many times he requested a re-shoot.)

LaToya Jackson on the other hand, when zapped, reacts as if she just experienced her first orgasm. (I suspect she went out and bought her very own taser to keep on her nightstand... for "protection".)

This show is going to be a train wreck.
I may have to record it and watch it secretly after my family is sound asleep.

Tribephylanthropy!
Space For Rent.

"RE: Viewers Cry for Help? "
Posted by LisaPles on 01-10-07 at 09:42 AM
That's it! If I find myself watching this, I am checking myself into reality rehab!

Posted by EMTBGRL on 01-10-07 at 12:51 PM
>Erik Estrada. (Okay, so he
>knows how to fake holding
>a gun.)

Actually, Erik Estrada went to, and graduated from, California Highway Patrol Academy before he was ever on CHiPs in the 1970's, and learned how to correctly ride a motorcycle, shoot and carry a weapon, and perform a traffic stop. The fact I know this? Saaaaaad.

But, it's true.

The rest? Word. You said it!

Posted by nailbone on 01-12-07 at 05:04 PM
and perform a traffic stop.

And yet, he's the one they show NOT properly perofming a traffic stop, yelling at the poor guy to get on the ground with his hands over his head.

"Premiere starting."
Posted by Estee on 01-10-07 at 07:59 PM
...that could quite possibly be the worst theme song of all time.

Posted by mysticwolf on 01-10-07 at 08:06 PM
God help us, but it's true. We're actually watching it. At least once. It's exactly like a train wreck. You can't help but watch.

(And, yeah, Estrada does look like he has a clue. Momentarily, at least.)

A Tribal Christmas blogging's scary

Posted by Snidget on 01-10-07 at 08:24 PM
DVR is catching it for me, I don't know if I could stand to watch it "live".

Posted by mysticwolf on 01-10-07 at 08:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-10-07 AT 08:41 PM (EST)

Again, God help me, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Jack Osbourne is a seriously good shot, and he seems to be taking this very seriously.

The part where LaToya has a cell phone convo with one of the other Jackson's is priceless (as is Jack's reaction to being 6' from her when she first handles a weapon). ETA: I forgot the hilarious scene when she first learns about laundomats and change machines. Her learning to eat in a restaurant without a tablecloth or finger bowl is really more pathetic than funny. That poor kid. It's amazing she's as functional as she is.

Tricia whoever is one tough cookie.

And, Estrada is regretting his fame with his first bust, an elderly female drug runner with no teeth, who has an obvious crush on him.

All in all, they all seem to be taking it seriously and doing pretty well. (Of course, the drug paraphenalia and drug identification comes pretty easy to them. )

Posted by Estee on 01-10-07 at 09:01 PM
All in all, they all seem to be taking it seriously and doing pretty well.

With the exception of Jason, who hasn't quite put aside DAW for cop just yet: this is just giving him an extra place to be famous in. He's trying to do the job, but if it gives him the chance to pick up women and get some props, he may go for that first. The others have already started to figure out the most vital part: 'I could die if I screw this up.' Jason is still firmly convinced in his own immortality.

Posted by mysticwolf on 01-10-07 at 09:15 PM
Yep. Agree. But he's not on Jackass for nothing. He's just proving why it's an appropriate venue for him.

Posted by Loree on 01-11-07 at 11:26 AM
The fact Jack said he has been shooting guns since he was 6 years old was interesting.

This was like COPS with quasi-celebrities.

Posted by Estee on 01-10-07 at 08:28 PM
So those were all the highlights they could find in three weeks of training? I guess there just isn't much excitement in watching Jack study police procedural manuals and recite Miranda until he gets it right.

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-11-07 at 01:36 PM
>So those were all the highlights
>they could find in three
>weeks of training?

The show is only seven episodes and will serve as Idol fodder during its second Wednesday night broadcast, so they had to move the concept along. The fact it's going against Idol next week and therefore needs all the early exposure it can get is also why CBS is airing Episode 2 tonight.

Posted by Brtndr98 on 02-11-07 at 03:57 PM
I have to admit that when I first heard of this show, I thought it was the stupidest reality show concept ever. The idea of giving guns and weapons with the athorization to use necessary force to a bunch of B-list celebrities was crazy dangerous.
However, I think they legitimately take a lot of pride in their duties and appreciate the work of their fellow officers.

Jack Osborn and Erik Estrada appear that they could be legitimate officers. Jason Acura could do it as well. But I thought the Police force had a height requirement?

I feel sorry for the female officer who is working with La Toya. Would you want La Toya to watch your back while taking down a armed suspect. God forbid that suspect pulls out a knife, gun or cat. Oh, Erik Estrada just may end up shooting someone before the shows conclusion.

Posted by Estee on 01-11-07 at 08:13 PM
LaToya is afraid of housecats.

Orange tabbies: threat or menace?

Posted by mysticwolf on 01-11-07 at 08:21 PM
So... If someone wanted to steal from LaToya, what would be the charge if their weapon of choice were a cat? (Sure would be easier than stealing from Mick Jagger. )

Posted by Estee on 01-11-07 at 08:27 PM
Not sure. There's probably something on the books about assault with intent to terrify: if you know the victim has a phobia and you go in prepared to use it against them..

Posted by mysticwolf on 01-11-07 at 08:36 PM
Well... She is willing to try to deal with her phobia. Frankly, these DAWs are actually starting to impress me with how serious they're being about it, and how well they're really doing. I was prepared for a police version of Simple Life, but it's not turning out like that.

Posted by dabo on 01-12-07 at 00:44 AM
LOL! LaToya is making the rest of the Jackson Tribe seem sane in comparison. Well, most of them anyway.

Eek, it's Garfield!

Posted by POETSMOMMY on 01-12-07 at 08:57 PM
My 11 year old daughter kept asking "is she really afraid of cats,mommy?"...appears to be, I said...we mostly laughed our way through the hour especially the woman who had Erik Estrada autograph her prosthetic boob...that's something my mom would do..

Posted by Cyndimaus on 01-12-07 at 11:11 AM
I missed the first episdode but caught last night's. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. My hubby was impressed at how seriously they seemed to be taking their job.

Erik Estrada seems to be doing really well. How funny to be arrested by your idol?

I laughed at LaToya's fear of cats but I admire that she took steps to get past it. Our fears often seem silly to others but are very real to us. Kudos to her for dealing with it.

I do believe I'll watch again.

Sigs by Cyg

Posted by Loree on 01-12-07 at 03:00 PM
I have been enjoying this show too. My DH really likes it. We are both surprised.

"On VH1"
Posted by Ricky on 02-12-07 at 02:07 PM
I think they took this off of CBS, but they have been showing the episodes on VH1. I saw several of them last Saturday evening.

It's really not as bad as many of you are saying. The celebrities really do take it seriously.

The only strange thing is that LaToya Jackson does have a frantic fear of house cats. So that does deter her from doing her job at times. Like if there's a crime or a criminal in a house that has a cat in it forget about LaToya going in, she hides in the squad car, like any normal person would.

"A new broom sweeps clean, but the old broom knows the corners" - Martin, First loser on The Apprentice LA