URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1756
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"American Idol 5: Top 12 3/14/06 East Coast Spoiler Thread "

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 04:23 PM
Please keep all discussion of tonight's show on this thread until the folks on the West coast can hear for themselves if the top twelve will sing like angels or make everyone's ears bleed.

I'm starting this now so there will be a thread open when the show starts. I have class tonight and will not be around for the start.

If Kathliam isn't around, or cannot perform these duties, can someone please post for each contestant as they sing the person's name and if possible what song as each person takes the stage. Please help the person doing this. Figuring out which song is being sung is not always as simple as one would thing. At least tonight we don't have to play guess the artist

I'll pop on when I get home and if you need me to take over, just let me know. I'll miss the first half hour or so.

Since these threads can get long, please delete your sig pics for the sake of those peeps on dial up.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: American Idol 5: Top 12 3/14/06 East Coast Spoiler Thread "
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 07:09 PM
Thanks, Snidget, for starting this thread. I'm here tonight, and will start a post for each contestant. I welcome any input to song titles if I am incorrect, despite any spoilers, so don't hesitate to correct and/or expound on the songs.

"Introduction of the Top 12"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 07:57 PM
Possible singing order?

Ace Young, Kelli Pickler, Elliott Yamin, Mandisa, Bucky Covington, Melissa McGhee, Lisa Tucker, Kevin Covais, Katherine McPhee, Taylor Hicks, Paris Bennett, and Chris Daughtery.

"Tonight's Theme"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 07:58 PM
Yea, that's right, we're starting with theme nights. Tonight's theme is the songs of Stevie Wonder.

"RE: Tonight's Theme"
Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:00 PM
Let's see how this goes...Stevie...I dunno.

Ace is first.

*WAVES* to Kath!

Posted by Bravehart on 03-14-06 at 08:00 PM
Arrrrg!!!!! No more Stevie Wonder! I can't stand it!!!!

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:00 PM
I'm *so* not into Stevie Wonder. *yawn*

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 07:59 PM
I've got the McPhever. Wow!

"Ace Young"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:00 PM
Singing 'Do I Do'.

"RE: Ace Young"
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:01 PM
Yowzah! My ears are bleeding.

Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:02 PM
I don't like the song but I thought he did fine.

Stevie wouldn't be my first pick for Ace anyways.

"RE: Ace Young Eye Crud"
Posted by Pepito on 03-14-06 at 08:05 PM
What's with the picking crud out of his eye and then he stops talking whilst he examines the crud on his finger and then, when he through, flicks it off into space, all in front of camera, the interviewer, and the world?!!!

I have totally changed my opinion of him -- didn't think about him too much before, but now I totally dislike him.

Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:09 PM
I didn't notice this at all. I missed it.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 09:11 PM (EST)

Yeah, wasn't terribly pleasent.

Posted by DearAbby on 03-14-06 at 08:55 PM
I just rewound my DVR and watched again. I think he actually was wiping a tear from the corner of his eye. He didn't seem to flick it, but he rubbed his fingers together, as if to dry the tear.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 08:05 PM (EST)

He's singing better tonight than he has in the past few weeks. IMHO. (His brother is hotter than he is, *fans self*)

Judges' comments: Randy, excited about tonight, Stevie one of his favorites but hard to sing, start off not good, found in the middle, just a'ight. Paula, disagrees, started the night off fantastic, puts everything into it, entertained everyone. Simon, audience is easily pleased, not a great vocal, will not be the best vocal tonight.

1-866-IDOLS-01 (almost forgot the phone number!)

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:07 PM
I agree with Simon when he said, "YOU pulled it off" meaning he was cute enough where America is gonna let him slide on it.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:07 PM

I thought that blew chunks. Well, the end wasn't bad, the beginning was hideous. He sounded more like Ja Rule than Stevie Wonder, and that's never good, never.

Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:08 PM
Blech.

Ewww.

Chunks that blow.

geekboy

"Kermit . . ."
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:07 PM
is hot! Pot is not.

"RE: Kermit . . ."
Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:09 PM
Huh???

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:10 PM
Commenting on the commercials. N/M

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:11 PM
Oh, got it. That went right over my West coast head!

"Kelli Pickler"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:10 PM
Singing 'Blame It On The Son'. (Sun? I should know better.)

"RE: Kelli Pickler"
Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:10 PM
She's got the Carrie Underwood look going tonight.

geekboy

Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:12 PM
Can you say 'uncomfortable'??!!

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:14 PM
Wow, an understated, refined Kelli. Doesn't keep her from being sharp through the entire middle of the song.

Judges' comments: Randy, interesting song choice, a non-event, none of the Pickler spark, the key was low, didn't work for him. Paula, could tell she was nervous and too safe, didnt' take any chances, the razzle dazzle was missing. Simon, everything went wrong, put half of America to sleep, outside her comfort zone, went to Dolly Parton school the way she looks tonight, all safe and old and boring, her worst performance thus far.

1-866-IDOLS-02

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:15 PM
Regardless of how she sings, she is an adorable, guileless young lady. Her comments just make me love her.

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:16 PM
There have been stories that a lot of that is an act,though. I hope not, I think she's sweet. Her ex-boyfriend says differently, but then, an ex would!

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 09:12 PM (EST)

Reference: Votefortheworst.com

There are a few references on there, some are definitely legit but some are pure reports.

Posted by cjhope117 on 03-14-06 at 08:24 PM
I don't buy the sweet, innocent, ignorant thing. She is adorable but her personality is starting to get to me. To me it really comes across as an act. I just don't buy it.

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:11 PM
I saw a hopeless look in the middle of her song- like she knew she messed up. In her incounter with "Mr. Wonder" he said to raise her octive and she did-it sounded ok, but she failed to follow that advice during the performance. Silly girl.

Definitely hickish in red stiletos. lol

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:22 PM

Wait, she performed? I must've fallen asleep.

"Elliott Yamin"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:16 PM
Singing 'Knocks Me Off My Feet'.

"RE: Elliott Yamin"
Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:18 PM
OK we have the first DAMN GOOD Performance of the night.

YEAH!

geekboy

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:19 PM
Completely disagree. Maybe it's the songs, but I'm not diggin' any of these performances.

Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:21 PM
I am with you mrc...I wasn't completely turned off by Ace's performance but the two that have followed haven't done it for me either and I have liked the them in the previous weeks.

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:15 PM
He needs to do the fancy voice work he did at the end during the WHOLE song...like Taylor does...*big grin*

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:20 PM
Dunno, started off well, kinda lost me in the middle. Desperately needs a stylist to get rid of the Caesar haircut.

Judges' comments: Randy, this is his comfort zone, didn't think was his best performance but he knows how hard it is to bring something new to a well-known song. Paula, loves that he wasn't afraid to show Stevie Wonder how inspired he is by him, loves his passion, will be seeing many more weeks of him. Simon, best so far, but agrees didn't have the 'wow' factor, important at this stage to start showing some originality.

1-866-IDOLS-03

Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:22 PM
Elliot, to me, is the 'sleeper' contestant that could surprise everyone in this competition. I am very very very impressed with him and i think he is only going to get better and better. I also think he has the chops to be very versatile throughout the various theme weeks.

geekboy

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:21 PM
I'm back from class. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Elliot was OK for me, but I agree with the lack of "WOW" It was a'ight, but not anything I'd remember for long.

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:23 PM
Somebody needs to bring it . . . like a Wendy's spicy chicken sammich.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:23 PM

Lack of the wow factor surely, but after Kellie's sleep-inducing performance and Ace's eye flick, Elliot looks like a bonafide star.

Posted by batts on 03-14-06 at 08:24 PM
Big Mandisa Hundley coming up now! Woo HOOOOO This girl can SING!

"Mandisa"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:26 PM
Singing 'Don't You Worry About A Thing'.

1-866-IDOLS-04

"RE: Mandisa"
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:28 PM
Is it nerves? The songs? My TV? Mandisa was better than everyone so far, but still sub-par.

Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 08:28 PM
ok, i take back my comment about Elliot.

Mandisa rocked his A*# off.

Amazing. Totally amazing.

geekboy

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:16 PM
agreed. I think everyone needs to take off their shoes. lol

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:28 PM
Girlfriend, if those stylists had anything to do with that dress selection, go back to dressing yourself.

She sounded better in the rehersal than on stage to me. She did bring it at the end pretty good, but I didn't like the first half very much.

It is funny that Stevie singing Stevie makes it sound so easy.

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:30 PM
No doubt, she can sing. But there's nothing unique or special about her voice, that if I were to hear it on the radio, I'd say, "Hey, that's Mandisa!". I don't know...

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:29 PM
Wow, the girl's having trouble with the start of tonight's song -- wrong key? Sounded better when she sang an octave higher. Her lower register isn't as strong. Ended well.

Judges' comments: Randy, amazing last week, this week not as great, these songs are the hardest to sing and bring originality, best so far tonight. Paula, what Stevie said is right, she can sing anything. Simon, now we have a competition, best so far.

1-866-IDOLS-04.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:32 PM

Best so far with Elliott but doesn't say a lot. This week bodes really poorly for Melissa McGhee who may both be out of her element and in a week where prior performance may make precedent with her being 3rd lowest (right?) last week.

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:33 PM
Not to mention Kevin. Thunthine Of My Life, maybe?

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:35 PM
Thuperthiouth?

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-14-06 at 08:35 PM
My Therie Amor?

"Bucky Covington"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:35 PM
Singing 'Superstition'.

"RE: Bucky Covington"
Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:38 PM
WTH? I don't think I am going to vote for anyone tonight. I didn't like it.

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:38 PM
I liked this better than some of his other performances. He did find one that went well with the Southern Rocker Voice and he did go for it.

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:38 PM
Okay, okay. We are slowly getting better. Still not great, but gettin' better.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:39 PM
Well, Bucky used Carrie Underwood's hair stylist this week. Should have paid more attention to the actual *words* of the song as well as the notes.

Judges' comments: Randy, right song choice, wasn't the greatest vocal performance but enjoyed it. Paula, enjoyed hearing him sing, very different, wishes he had gotten out of his comfort zone more. Simon, one of his best performances so far, the hairstyle has got to go, performance was fine.

1-866-IDOLS-05

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:42 PM

I enjoyed it. Fun performance, infused a little (but not a lot) of himself in to it. Good head of hair for three minutes or so.

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:19 PM
he must have really sweaty palms...all he had to do was wipe back his hair and it was stringy again....man. ugg

"Melissa McGhee"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:45 PM
Singing 'Lately'.

1-866-IDOLS-06

"RE: Melissa McGhee"
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:47 PM
I thought she might actually pull this song off. Well, at least she looks hot.

Posted by cjhope117 on 03-14-06 at 08:48 PM
I did not like so much.

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:49 PM
I liked her better this time than pretty much every other time she sung, and better than some of the other people tonight.

Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 08:49 PM
Paula--Different? Yes. Soothing? No.

Simon--Is just hoping that America votes Kevin off.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:50 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch. We may have this week's bootee. Just painful. The end was the best part of the song.

Judges' comments: Randy, she forgot the lyrics, flat and sharp notes but ended up strong, definitely has pipes. Paula, should wear dresses more often, messed up lyrics but something soothing about her voice, breath of fresh air, keep going, did a nice job. Simon, her best performance so far, wasn't perfect but edgy, contemporary, very strong.

1-866-IDOLS-06.

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:23 PM
Did you notice the whole voice convo before her song- about swallowing oil to sooth her throat? The girl shouts her songs. She needs to learn to use her diaphram (sp?) or she's gonna lose it completely.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 08:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

At least she was strong and boring and not weak and boring.

"WTF?"
Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 08:50 PM
How come it is ok to forget the lyrics to a song? Simon (for one) has always harped on knowing the lyrics to a song. Did Melissa get a pass?

"RE: WTF?"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:52 PM
Paula slipped some of her drugs into his drink?

"RE: WTF?"
Posted by batts on 03-14-06 at 08:54 PM
I noticed this too. Can you imagine Stevies language as he watches this girl perform. "She forgot the lyrics to the song AGAIN?"

"Lisa Bennett"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 08:56 PM (EST)

etf: Lisa Tucker. Sorry 'bout that. Where was my head?

Singing 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered'.

1-866-IDOLS-07

"RE: Lisa Bennett"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 08:59 PM
Did pretty good, but still no one has really done it for me tonight.

"RE: Lisa Tucker"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 08:59 PM
Sorry 'bout messing up the name in the post line.

She's going a good job on this song. Liked her performance.

Judges' comments: Randy, hottest part of the song was the end, the middle was a little boring, saw her personality at the end. Paula, could tell she was nervous, shines when she takes chances outside the melody. Simon, this was one of the best performances tonight, for the first time saw someone take control of the stage, she has that little extra, was great and he loved it.

1-866-IDOLS-07

Posted by Bravehart on 03-14-06 at 09:02 PM
I thought Lisa was vibrant and fresh!

Posted by batts on 03-14-06 at 09:05 PM
Sorry 'bout messing up the name in the post line.
thats okay..... Fox peeps did a whole lot worse last year,... had to repeat a whole show.

So far I am very happy with my PTTE selection. Melissa HAS to go. Lisa has done the best!

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:07 PM
Didn't help that one of the kitties was intent on helping me type!!

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:02 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

Decent, kept me awake, but I'm glad I took a huge nap earlier so I can stay awake tonight. I hate theme weeks for a single artist.

Let's make that theme weeks in general because they get way too much latitude with genres. Queen and Barbara Streisand are not Big Band Fantasia.

"Kevin Covais"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:07 PM
Singing 'Part Time Lover'.

Now we'll see how breaking up with his 15-year old girlfriend works for his overall sex appeal with the American public.

1-866-IDOLS-08.

"RE: Kevin Covais"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 09:08 PM
Please stop trying to turn him into a sex symbol. For.The.Love.Of.GOD!!!!!

my ears are bleeding...make.it.stop.....

Posted by cjhope117 on 03-14-06 at 09:10 PM
What is wrong with tonight!!!???? That is the first one that I have actually liked. Seriously, why did I like that????!!!!

Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 09:12 PM
This is one of the first Kevin performances that I actually liked. I was with Randy and Paula.

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:27 PM
I'm with you on this one. I can't believe I liked it. Maybe it's because when he came on I couldn't bare to look at him...with eyes closed I actually listened. He's not that bad- definitely a RADIO singer, though. and arrogent to boot. ugh.

"re:sex symbol"
Posted by niteowl on 03-14-06 at 10:10 PM
Hey, there are a whole bunch of Smurfs out there who beg to differ with you, man!

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:10 PM
Sorry, the kid is just too young-appearing to be in this competition! And his syllibus, syllabus, lisp, has to be overcome for him to sing anything.

Judges' comments: Randy, sang it good and in tune, some funny dance moves, and he's wearing makeup (Randy's laughing). Paula, *points out the Kevin's signs*, sang in tune, strange dance steps, kept in time. Simon, this is the point in the show Stevie turns down the volume, it was appalling. (Kevin tells Simon he wasn't expecting much from him anyway.)

1-866-IDOLS-08.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:11 PM

I don't know what to say. His attitude should help though

Katharine's looking nice tonight though.

Posted by batts on 03-14-06 at 09:15 PM
Oh, Nooo KEVIN did not just dance across the stage like 'Bert' from Sesame Street doing the "PIGEON"...... or an impression of Pee Wee Hermans dance! Oh no.... somebody tell me it isn't soooo?

"Katharine McPhee"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:16 PM
Singing 'Until You Come Back To Me'.

"GAWD!"
Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 09:18 PM
I never made it past the dress...girl needs help with wardrobe from now on. URGH!

"RE: GAWD!"
Posted by Bravehart on 03-14-06 at 09:53 PM
Agreed Vols!

"RE: GAWD!"
Posted by batts on 03-14-06 at 10:00 PM
hi Bravehart. Can you delete your siggy pics in these long thresds, just for slow peeps like me? My dialup takes 4 minutes to refresh long thresds. Each time I comment, and hit 'POST'.... it takes forever to be able to read my post, and the comments to it. Thanks, and ... sorry I have dialup.... one of these days I'll get something faster.

"RE: Katharine McPhee"
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 09:18 PM
Hot in so many ways. I am in luv!

And the song was good, too.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:21 PM
Damn straight. Also add in "awesome" for "good", and I'll be dittoing that part too.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:19 PM
This is the first time she has really impressed me. OK, now I get it, the girl has pipes! Fugly fashion sense, but she can blow.

Judges' comments: Randy, the girl they met during the auditions is back, that was hot, unbelieveable, loved everything about it. Paula, something about her voice that pierces the heart, tonight was her best performance. Simon, you're good, beginning to remind him vocally of Kelli Clarkson.

1-866-IDOLS-09

Posted by cjhope117 on 03-14-06 at 09:20 PM
One word...WOW!!!

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 09:20 PM
She sang that really well. Still didn't blow me away, but convinced me she should stick around.

"Taylor Hicks"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:25 PM
Singing 'Living For The City'. (Will the producers let him play along with his harmonica tonight?)

1-866-IDOLS-10.

"RE: Taylor Hicks"
Posted by mrc on 03-14-06 at 09:27 PM
Background vocals drowned him out at times. Very good. Best so far tonight.

Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 09:29 PM
He rocked this song tonight.

I liked him in the suit.

Yep, the background vocals do seem to be mixed wrong tonight.

Posted by Bravehart on 03-14-06 at 09:55 PM
I agree, Taylor should stay with this look.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:37 PM
What mrc said, again.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:29 PM
Advance spoiler was wrong about his song choice. Tears up the song, as usual. Still looks like he could be my older brother.

Judges' comments: Randy, (can't speak over the applause), loved that all his gigs finally paid off tonight, he was feeling it. Paula, loved his dancing, the whole band was smiling, the audience was standing up, a fun performer with so much passion. Simon, his appeal is that he's like every Dad who got drunk at a wedding, it's a good thing, a compliment, the difference is he can sing.

1-866-IDOLS-10

"Paris Bennett"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:32 PM
Singing 'All I Do'.

1-866-IDOLS-11.

"RE: Paris Bennett"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 09:35 PM
Finally she sang well in the competition. Reminded me a lot of her audition tape. She really does better with something that is Jazzy.

Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:35 PM
Song choice spoiler wrong about her song, also. Like the new hairstyle better than last week's 'poodle ears'. She's a little flat in a few places near the end, but basically knocks this one out of the park.

Judges' comments: Randy, once again saw what they first saw in her, unbelievable tonight, effortless. Paula, a seasoned veteran, could teach a lot of performers how to do it. Simon, like watching two different competitions, the first half was all right, the second half is brilliant, she's like a performing doll, wind her up and off you go, very good.

1-866-IDOLS-11.

Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:37 PM
About time she does a song like she did the first week.

"Chris Daugherty"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:41 PM
Singing 'Higher Ground'.

(song choice spoiler wrong once again.)

1-866-IDOLS-12

"Holy Carp!"
Posted by volsfan on 03-14-06 at 09:43 PM
He looks so much better with cleanly shaven look...I wish he had shaved the sideburns too. NUMMY!

"RE: Holy Carp!"
Posted by Snidget on 03-14-06 at 09:44 PM
Yep the shave really suits him.

He really rocked the song as well.

"RE: Holy Carp!"
Posted by cjhope117 on 03-14-06 at 09:45 PM
God I love him!!!!!!!!!!!

"RE: Chris Daugherty"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:45 PM
This is his competition to lose. Even more than Bo's last year. Still want to see how he handles a completely different genre. Gotta say, more than a little flat during the middle of the song. Then he goes sharp. His energy seems to make up for it, somehow.

Judges' comments: Randy, every week he figures out a way to make each song his own. Paula, she never worries, just sits back and enjoys every week, was fantastic. Simon, thank god for Chris, had some good performances, this was the only 'real world' performance in that he could imagine him having a hit with that record, important that chooses the right song, makes it his own, best tonight by a mile.

1-866-IDOLS-12.

"RE: Chris Daugherty"
Posted by Fishercat on 03-14-06 at 09:51 PM
...wow.

That was crazy good. If he can do this kind of job on every odd theme week, everyone else is in some deep, deep trouble.

Should Go Home: Kellie
Will Go Home: Melissa

"Wednesday Result Show"
Posted by kathliam on 03-14-06 at 09:49 PM
Don't forget that Wednesday night result show is on at 9:00 PM, and is a 30-minute program only. I'll see you then, everyone. In the meantime, don't forget to vote. If you forget a contestant's number, they are included under each person's name in this thread.

~kath

"Stevie Wonder Night Rankings/Thoughts"
Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 10:10 PM
I actually enjoyed this theme much more than i thought i would. None of the overdone AI "staples" were performed, which was a pleasant surprise.

I'd rank the top 12 in the usual top/middle/bottom tiers, but i have to say the middle tier is full. Overall it was an average night, but a few people stood out.

I'd put 4 in the top tier, and the boys outshined the girls.

tied for top place i'd put Taylor and Chris. They both picked the perfect song for their style and voices. Taylor picked "Living for hte city" which i WANTED him to sing, and he sang it just like i hoped. He held back on teh twitching just enough to make it a wonderful performance. Chris i was worried about, and he made me very happy. I didn't even think of "Higher Ground" and he rocked the joint.

The two girls in my top 4 are Mandisa and Katherine. Again, they picked great songs, and performed them well. Katherine - i think - is destined to do the Jazzy/Norah Jones style, and that is what she did. Mandisa is just Mandisa and can sing anything. She didn't disappoint again.

The bottom tier is next, and in there i'd put:

Melissa - boring, and you FORGOT THE LYRICS.
Kevin - You entertain, but you are out of your league
Kellie - a complete, total train wreck. The hair, the outfit, the song, the performance. Miserable.

The middle is full of average performances, mostly karaoke, but nothing spectacular.

If it were up to me, Kellie would go, but i know there is not a chance in you-know-what that she will be voted out. I would say it is between Kevin and Melissa, and i'm not sure which will go. I'd lean toward Melissa.

Off to bed for me.

geekboy

"RE: Stevie Wonder Night Rankings/Thoughts"
Posted by agent210 on 03-14-06 at 10:35 PM
thanks the preview.. I am in CA and I am not looking forward to watching in a few minutes.. sounds disappointing

its more disappointing that Stevie is allowing his music to be sung!! guess he needs the money??

Stevie, Ray, Aretha, Sinatra, Beatles, James Taylor and Billy Joel's music should be exempt and none of the wannabes should be allowed to sing their music!! PERIOD~~

Posted by Bob Loblaw on 03-14-06 at 11:27 PM
I saw tonight like this.....

Taylor Hicks 1
Katherine McPhee 2
Chris Daughtry 3
Mandisa 4
Bucky Covington 5
Paris 6
Eliot Yamin 7
Ace Young 8
Melissa Mcghee 9
Lisa Tucker 10
Kevin Covais 11
Kellie Pickler 12

Not sure why they're downplaying the standout performance from Taylor....(I know they liked it, but they oddly seemed to prefer Chris "Oh, snap! I thought it was Red Hot Chili Peppers night!" Daughtry's nowhere-close-to-Stevie-Wonder performance.

At least the other performers respected the style of the evening and didn't flat-out copy a cover version of a Stevie song (Copy of a copy?--yikes!). He's not breaking the mold or re-inventing the song--just copying a different version of it to disguise his lack of versatility. He's going to get a bad rap for being a one-note pony, which rarely leads to lasting success in AI.

It's not too late to join the not-as-lame-as-it-sounds soulPatrol.....all aboard the the bandwagon!

Posted by redtree00 on 03-14-06 at 11:44 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 11:48 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 03-14-06 AT 11:45 PM (EST)

>At least the other performers respected
>the style of the evening
>and didn't flat-out copy a
>cover version of a Stevie
>song (Copy of a copy?--yikes!).
> He's not breaking the
>mold or re-inventing the song--just
>copying a different version of
>it to disguise his lack
>of versatility.

Well said.

>It's not too late to join
>the not-as-lame-as-it-sounds soulPatrol.....all aboard the
>the bandwagon!

Hop aboard, my brotha! choo chooo.... I am now definitely buying his current CD, "Under the Radar"... *giggling giddily*

"Higher Ground" yeah baby!

>Taylor Hicks
>Katherine McPhee
>Chris Daughtry

Only aight t'night:

>Eliot Yamin
>Mandisa
>Paris

Bottom rung: We can just cut right to the final 6- these ALL need to go.....

>Kellie Pickler (bummer :< she's so cute)
>Melissa Mcghee
>Lisa Tucker
>Kevin Covais
>Bucky Covington
>Ace Young