URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID37
Thread Number: 1743
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"TAR 19- Episode 1 East Coast Spoiler Thread"

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-25-11 at 07:28 PM
Are you ready? I have waited a long time for this show and I am looking forward to another EMMY worthy performance.

PS. It's good to be Canadian - show will start on time!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: TAR 19- Episode 1 East Coast Spoiler Thread"
Posted by Estee on 09-25-11 at 07:36 PM
The announcers for the Jets/Raiders game stated they would not be switching to 60 Minutes just in case something went wrong during the final kneel-downs. Because, you know, it's Oakland and someone could have hit a discarded spike.

NYC media market will be twenty-six minutes late. Y'all start the pain without us.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:06 PM
Is Heidi on again?

Good to have it on time here as well!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:11 PM
Right off the bat, their first challenge is to see a sign with the word "WANPEI" on it and then open up a bunch of umbrellas to figure out which bunch of letters should go with WANPEI to tell them where to go for their first destination = the letters being TAI used twice to spell out TAIPEI, TAIWAN.

Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:16 PM
8 teams on first flight, rest on a flight 20 minutes later.

Last time to get the clue has a special new thing to do called a hazard.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:18 PM
I'm not sure how the new "hazard" is different from the past where last place teams had to do an extra task - that's how Phil briefly described the hazard, an extra task to be done... guess we'll find out soon.

Between the lost passport and the hazard, the girls are in mega-trouble.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 09:21 PM
They rarely had an immediate task and wasn't the last place team simply eliminated right off the bat when they did have it?

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 10:33 PM
A Speed Bump by any other name.....

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 09:43 PM
When it was described I thought the teams would have to get all the letters and figure out the destination before moving on. This was just a luck task - find the right umbrella and go. What was the point of the scrambled letters anyway?

Posted by CTgirl on 09-25-11 at 10:16 PM
I agree - they didn't have to figure out anything at all! But at least they made up for it with the first clue in Taiwan. That was fun watching everyone dismiss the sign with the red and yellow balloons at first!

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 10:25 PM
They even had Phil on video telling them where to go because I'm sure most teams still didn't know where they were going!!

Posted by CTgirl on 09-25-11 at 10:46 PM
Yeah, I found that tip really annoying!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:15 PM
Uh oh! Not only did the Vegas showgirls finish last during the first challenge (which means they'll have to do an extra task as a penalty at some point in this episode) but one of them took off from a gas station without her passport, which she dropped outside while asking for directions.

They're royally screwed. So far, they can't find the passport after going back to the gas station and then heading to the airport...

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:16 PM
... and now they're brawling with each other in front of everyone at the airport.

Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:17 PM
Communicate with me.

About what? I'm not going anywhere, you don't have a passport.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:21 PM
They got paged at the information desk... someone found the girl's passport and remembered there were a couple of girls asking about a passport. They tweeted their situation and eventually made their way to the airport where they met up with the girls.

Boy, the girls got damn lucky. They deserved to get their azzes booted for that carelessness.

Posted by Earl Colby Pottinger on 09-25-11 at 09:17 PM
I hope this was a TAR fan on the lookout for racers and not someone from the production crew.

On the other-hand if this is a TAR scouting fan, I bet they are sorry now for helping this 'smart' team of girls.

Posted by MsShel330 on 09-25-11 at 08:34 PM
>Uh oh! Not only did
>the Vegas showgirls finish last
>during the first challenge (which
>means they'll have to do
>an extra task as a
>penalty at some point in
>this episode) but one of
>them took off from a
>gas station without her passport,
>which she dropped outside while
>asking for directions.
>
>They're royally screwed. So far,
>they can't find the passport
>after going back to the
>gas station and then heading
>to the airport...

Yeah, I figured they would mess up since they spent their intro talking about how smart they are. Always a red flag.

Phil's eyebrow! I've missed that eyebrow.

"We won't tell anyone we were on Survivor"
Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:20 PM
Because no one who wants to be on a reality TV show would ever WATCH a reality TV show, no one will ever know.

"We wont' tell anyone that I played professional football"
Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:21 PM
I'm in protection. *wink wink*

"RE: We won't tell anyone we were on Survivor"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:22 PM
And meanwhile, at the same time as Ethan/Jenna were saying "we won't tell anyone we were on Survivor, the rest of the groups were gossiping that these two had both won a million dollars. Cover blown right from the start!

"RE: We won't tell anyone we were on Survivor"
Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 09:23 PM
Guess who will be the target for the first U-turn?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:24 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 08:25 PM (EST)

"These are race boxers!"

(one team after spying a Taiwanese garbage guy with his bright red and yellow underwear peeking out from his pants)

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 08:27 PM (EST)

Teams are told to "look up" for their next clue. All they see is a neon sign flashing Taiwanese words while surrounded by red and yellow balloons. Eventually teams start to figure out that they should copy down the lettering they see and ask a local to translate it. Off they go to the Taipei Confucius Temple.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:30 PM
Bill and Cathi completely missed on figuring out they were supposed to look at the neon sign, and they're now basically halfway across town searching completely wrong places.

Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:34 PM
Someone always tries to make it way more complicated than the directions tell them it is.

I mean, really, they want everyone to find the clue, so why make it something really random that will take days for everyone to find???

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:47 PM
It was a relatively easy clue for 10 teams, but not so for Bill and Cathi -- they *finally* figure it out and it appears to be during the same day judging by the daylight still present.

"Roadblock"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:28 PM
Call Confucius (1-800-Confucius) from a public payphone to get a Confucius proverb and then repeat it to a monk to get their next clue.

"RE: Roadblock"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 08:35 PM (EST)

If they repeat the proverb perfectly, they go to Dajia Riverside Park for their next clue.

Posted by Snidget on 09-25-11 at 08:52 PM
Twins finally get it done before Bill and Cathi show up.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:55 PM
I'll be interested in seeing how far behind Bill and Cathi were after Cathi nailed the Confucian proverb on the very first try while Liz took well over a hundred tries to do it.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 09:25 PM
I don't think we can tell if she had it on the first try. With the team being last, it would have been pointless to show any missed attempts.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 09:33 PM
I got the sense it was just editing - there were several attempts not shown.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:40 PM
Detour: Teams get into dragon boats and one person beats a drum for rhythm for the whole boat crew to follow and the other person helps with the paddling.

The blonde twins keep butchering the Confucian proverb so they are repeatedly sent back to the phone.

The Vegas girls go to a mall and find a clue to their hazard ... and it's an indoor bungee jump that both must complete!

Pit stop is at Martyr's Shrine.

"At the pit stop..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:42 PM
First team to the Pit Stop is Ernie and Cindy, they win the express pass to be used at some time in the future.

Jeremy and Sandy - 2nd
Justin and Jennifer - 3rd

"RE: At the pit stop..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 08:54 PM
4th - Ethan and Jenna
5th - Amani and Marcus
6th - Laurence and Zac
7th - Andy and Tommy
8th - Ron and Bill
9th - Kaylani and Lisa
10th - the twins (Liz & Marie)
11th - Bill & Cathi -- "you're the last team to arrive, however it's a non-elimination leg. You get a speed bump in the next episode."

Phil announces there will be a DOUBLE ELIMINATION next episode for the first time ever.

Cathi nails the Confucian proverb on the very first try! By contrast, Liz had to repeat the proverb at least a hundred times before she finally got it correct.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 09:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 10:05 PM (EST)

I wonder what format the double elimination will take - just last two eliminated or an elimination in the middle of the leg. Seems it would kill the suspense if two teams fall behind.

Posted by Starshine on 09-26-11 at 10:25 AM
How do we break it to Phil that we had a double elimination in episode 1 of TAR 10 (Bilal & Sa'eed and Vipul & Arti, two couples I wanted to see more of)

"Next week..."
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 09-25-11 at 09:00 PM
Justin and Jennifer brawl. It'll be a double elimination. Teams run around in chaos. It looks like Indonesia in the background.

Hopefully they won't repeat the same damn Coors Light commercial that appeared about 20 times in the past hour, including three times between the Bill/Cathi arrival and the "coming next week" previews. Sheesh.

"First Impressions:"
Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 09:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 09:29 PM (EST)

Pretty boring teams.

I mean I'm glad to see Ethan being well enough to compete but he was never loads of laughs. Jenna is now more mature and more boring.
The other teams? Meh... The only funny moments were the fumbling and bumbling, not anything anyone said or did.

"RE: First Impressions:"
Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 09:38 PM
I'll give it a week or so but I agree - the only racer I felt any strong reaction to was a negative one. The obnoxious, egotistical Amani.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 10:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-25-11 AT 10:20 PM (EST)

Which one was that? Wasn't she Marcus' wife? Did she say anything to warrant any sort of adjectives? I just thought that she was there.
The obnoxious one was the sister but I can't even remember her name.

ETA: I was also watching the beginning of the Pitt-Colts game and noticed that Manning, who had been on the sidelines during the warm-ups, had gone to the coaching booth during tthe last half of the race. I wonder if he was watching how Marcus was doing?!!!

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 10:20 PM
I may have mixed up the names - I meant the football ##### himself.

Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 10:29 PM
Marcus Pollard. I thought he was one of the few with a personality so I liked him... But then, I am a football fan.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-25-11 at 10:31 PM
So am I. Doesn't mean I have to like every single player.

Posted by samboohoo on 09-26-11 at 09:39 AM
I too thought him a little much. I didn't recognize him at all. At first I thought he was Amani, and I was thinking Amani Toomer, but I knew he played for the Giants. Then I realized the wife was probably not Marcus.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"Non-elims in leg 1 svck!"
Posted by Max Headroom on 09-25-11 at 10:16 PM
That is all.

"RE: Non-elims in leg 1 svck!"
Posted by michel on 09-25-11 at 10:23 PM
Non-elimination legs suck but, since we cannot do without, might as well do it in the first leg. It gives us a chance to know that team a little more and it gives them a little more time to enjoy their dream.

The season where they had an elimination in the middle of the first leg? Now that really sucked.

Posted by jbug on 09-25-11 at 10:35 PM
I agree Michel. I always fell bad for the first team out cause it seems like they only just get started & then wham! At least this way they get a second chance.

Showin off my win! Thanks Cahaya-wonderful game!

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-26-11 at 06:48 AM
I wouldn't mind the NEL if it saved a team that had any chance of winning, but Cathi & Bill look hopelessly miscast. They knew they were far behind but strolled through the business district in Taiwan with no sense of urgency.

Posted by Starshine on 09-26-11 at 10:21 AM
I agree they have no chance of winning, however I think that concentrating on the task is a lot better than running around like Mike

Posted by MsShel330 on 09-27-11 at 08:17 PM
>I agree they have no chance
>of winning, however I think
>that concentrating on the task
>is a lot better than
>running around like Mike

I had never heard of Mike the Headless Chicken before. I plan to add running his memorial 5k to my bucket list.