URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1739
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI5 Theme Weeks"

Posted by geekboy on 03-09-06 at 04:32 PM
Has any heard any rumblings about upcoming themes for the weeks ahead?

What themes would you like to see? I really liked the themes last year. They were broader and more open to variety than the previous three years.

What would you like to see, or what do you expect to see?

geekboy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: AI5 Theme Weeks"
Posted by xwraith27 on 03-09-06 at 08:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-06 AT 08:09 PM (EST)

The Top 12 will be doing Stevie Wonder songs, I read.

My reaction? STEVIE WONDER AGAIN?! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!! Haven't his songs been overused already? I keep a list of all AI songs that have been performed before and Stevie Wonder is the "most sung" singer in American Idol.

Also, I read that he's performing at the top 12 results show with (of course) the top 12. I'm guessing the guest judges are back in business?

ETA

IF it's Stevie Wonder week, what song do you think your favorites should sing? Especially Chris, who hasn't really shown that he can sing anything besides rock (I'm a fan, but it's true).

Posted by KoalaChick on 03-09-06 at 08:15 PM
I'm with you, xw, 'nuff Stevie. They should choose genres, not artists, as theme weeks.

Posted by curlytop on 03-11-06 at 01:16 PM
What about having the singers perform a song that they have personally written?

Posted by geekboy on 03-10-06 at 09:41 AM
First off, they should put a ban on 'Ribbon In The Sky', but you know at least one will sing that.

Chris...no clue. I'm not a big Stevie fan, so i don't know his catalog by heart, but Chris may have a problem.

For my favorite, Taylor, I would LOVE to hear his rendition of "I Wish". I think he could nail it.

geekboy

Posted by xwraith27 on 03-10-06 at 12:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-10-06 AT 12:52 PM (EST)

If there's a Stevie Wonder song that should be banned, I think it should be "My Cherie Amour". Both AJ Gil and Travis Tucker did so poorly with it. I'm not particularly good at picking songs, but I think Elliott could do well with "Isn't She Lovely" (although the judges might find it particularly safe).

oh goodie! it's my 100th post! =)

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 03-10-06 at 09:16 AM
On season one they had a Big Band week and I LOVED that!! Of course Kelly did awesome I think its a good way to show how versitile the singers are.

I agree no more Stevie Wonder pleeeease!!!!

Posted by zazzy on 03-10-06 at 10:36 AM
I like Stevie Wonder and am glad the show is having him perform.

Madisa should do well; Taylor too. I think Katherine, Ace, and Melissa should do ok with his music.

Paris and Lisa?? They are both forgettable to me so I can't guess.

Chris, Elliot, Kevin, Kelly -- ??

Bucky may have a problem...

Posted by xwraith27 on 03-13-06 at 06:18 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-06 AT 08:12 AM (EST)

Other upcoming themes:

Barry Manilow is slated to sing at AI on March 22 (next week) so it's possible that the Top 11 will be singing Barry's songs (another round of Copacabana, anyone?). Another theme that surfaced for next week is 50's music. Did Barry gain his fame in the 50's? I wouldn't know as I was born in the 80s.

Also, Rod Stewart is expected to sing on another Wednesday, April 19 (Top 7 if my calculations are correct).

Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart, and Stevie Wonder. Wow! Three of my all-time favorite artists on Idol. Unfortunately, I'm tired of Stevie songs, so I'm hoping Barry week and Rod week will be awesome.

Oh, and btw, I heard that both Simon and Randy weren't that optimistic about Stevie week, saying that Stevie's songs are generally too difficult to sing. I hope the Top 12 prove them wrong.

Posted by geekboy on 03-13-06 at 07:22 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-06 AT 07:24 AM (EST)

Well, Barry just released a CD called 'The Greatest Songs Of The Fifties' so the two rumors together - Barry plus the 50's Songs - makes sense if you look at it from that perspective. Also, there are 13 tracks on that CD.

1. Moments To Remember
2. It’s All In The Game
3. Unchained Melody
4. Venus
5. It’s Not For Me To Say sten
6. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
7. Rags To Riches
8. Sincerely/Teach Me Tonight
9. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
10. Young At Heart
11. All I Have To Do Is Dream
12. What A Diff’rence A Day Made
13. Beyond The Sea

Rod Stewart would be incredible, if the rumor is true.

geekboy

Posted by tamarama on 03-14-06 at 03:59 PM
>>Rod Stewart would be incredible, if the rumor is true.<<

Ew, not trying to be contrary...but to me, Rod Stewart is NAUSEATING.

The only thing I hate more than his old hits from the 70's is the way he's been butchering standards for the past couple of years.

Yuck.

Posted by geekboy on 03-14-06 at 04:12 PM
I just have this vision of Taylor doing an incredible rendition of the Faces' "Stay With Me". Its got his bluesy/rock style going for him.

geekboy