URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID1
Thread Number: 1734
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Quota problems"

Posted by Fast Eddie on 02-14-03 at 00:32 AM
Nice to see that the gay is a lesbian this time. But, um, doesn't quota require two blacks? I saw only one. American demographics decree there should be two, occasionally three, out of 16, to prove you're not a racist. Maybe they bought some allocation room from overquota'd Fear Factor.

At least we have another Oriental. With all the Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Vietnamese, etc. in the US, you'd think there would be more.

But where are all the Latinos? I read they now outnumber blacks. Yet they rarely make it onto game shows. Maybe they need to complain more.

Also, aren't we over quota on dufuses? Or are Americans really that moronic? (After seeing a few episodes of Leno's Jaywalking, maybe it's actually under quota.)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Quota problems"
Posted by TechNoir on 02-14-03 at 00:55 AM
You have two threads on race and nobody's biting. *hint, hint*

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-14-03 at 06:35 AM
The horse's been beaten to the point where it's now on the edge of death.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

Posted by MellowYellow on 02-14-03 at 03:12 AM
As a proud Latina, I will say we watch these people as amusement. See, we know what surviving in a hot desert filled with bugs with no food, outrunning, outwitting, and outlasting is all about.

What do you think border crossing is like?

Posted by wildchickenhunter on 02-14-03 at 08:05 AM
I was kinda thinking the same thing. May be they are too smart or have to much self respect to get involved with media whoredom.

"Yo, Fast Eddie!"
Posted by bebekid on 02-14-03 at 11:21 AM
Just out of curiousity, which woman do you think is a lesbian? I'm not very good at spotting gay people, especially on TV shows.

"RE: Yo, Fast Eddie!"
Posted by DEVILRAYS on 02-14-03 at 02:36 PM
The last time I heard rumor of a lesbian was the Marquesas, and I don't know if that ever came to fruition...although it does seem like reality shows have more gay men than lesbians. AR has had seven in three series, by my count (the Guidos, Team Cha Cha Cha or whatever they were called, and one half each of three AR3 teams.) To my knowledge, there have been only three openly gay Survivors (Rich, Brandon, and John) and I am not aware of any lesbians.

Posted by KeithFan on 02-15-03 at 01:12 PM
I think Alex will come out before the show is over.

Posted by Fast Eddie on 02-14-03 at 04:10 PM
>Just out of curiousity, which woman
>do you think is a
>lesbian?

According to my wife, Deena. I believe that's her name - the assistant DA.

"Deena"
Posted by bebekid on 02-14-03 at 04:27 PM
Deena's SeeBS bio says she's married and has kids.

Like I said before, I'm not good at spotting gay people, but I don't think we have one on this season. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by MellowYellow on 02-15-03 at 07:24 AM
Ha! Ha! She fooled you!

She's married with two kids. I know doesn't mean anything she's married! By the same token it doesn't mean she's gay just because she's comfortable with her masculine side.

Wild guess if anyone is gay, not that it would matter, I say Matthew.

"When you're right, you're right - I blew it."
Posted by Fast Eddie on 02-15-03 at 11:27 AM
I should have checked the bio first. When I was having fun with this, my wife's comment occurred to me and I tossed it in at the last moment. I'm really poor at observing such things and usually trust her judgement. But no excuse. I should have checked first. Mea maxima culpa, and sincerest apologies.

"RE: When you're right, you're right - I blew it."
Posted by bebekid on 02-15-03 at 12:39 PM
Mea maxima
>culpa, and sincerest apologies.

No need to apologize, Fast Eddie. This is Bashers fer cryin out loud! Now if you ever come face to face with Deena...

Posted by Fast Eddie on 02-15-03 at 02:20 PM
If I ever come face to face with her, I hope she read my apology for being so lazy. She looks like she could wallop the snot out of me. My wife still can't believe she got this wrong.

Posted by desert_rhino on 02-15-03 at 08:01 PM
Well, for almost 15 years, my ex-wife was married with 2 kids.

I'm sorry, I meant to say, "my lesbian sociopathic physician ex-wife."

Don't let marital status convince you your gaydar's off. Don't mean #####, as far as I can tell.

-- JV

Posted by Spidey on 02-16-03 at 10:43 AM
And my dad was married for 32 yeares and had 2 kids before he came out at the ripe old age of 56. And his partner was also married with 2 kids. Yes, JV, mariatal status and children don't mean a dang thing.

Of course, I am not saying Deena IS gay, just that unless she tells, we won't know.

Posted by shanana banana on 02-14-03 at 03:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-14-03 AT 03:19 PM (EST)

As an FYI, "Orientals" are rugs. "Asians" represents the collective term for Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, etc....

shanana banana

Posted by taginite on 02-14-03 at 03:30 PM
dont worry bout it.
survivor7 will have TWO black males.

-controversy sells advertisement$$

Posted by SurvivinDawg on 02-15-03 at 08:03 AM
As I pointed out in my summary, there IS a black man in this show: The Immunity Idol.

P.S. "Oriental" refers to objects, "Asian" refers to people. So says my brother's gf, who is of Asian descent.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"Oriental vs Asian"
Posted by Fast Eddie on 02-15-03 at 11:23 AM
From dictionary.com:

Oriental: Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.

also

oriental

\O`ri*en"tal\, n. 1. A native or inhabitant of the Orient or some Eastern part of the world; an Asiatic.

However, the site also says:
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe.

This is news to me. Oriental is what I have always seen used in reference to just the eastern and southeastern parts of Asia. "Asian" to me has always included people from India, various -istans, Iran, etc., which is not what I was thinking of - but would have been a better choice for my point.

Oh well. Occidents will happen.

"RE: Oriental vs Asian"
Posted by TechNoir on 02-15-03 at 06:13 PM
This is news to me.

Lots of people find posting here an enlightening experience.

"Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

Posted by desert_rhino on 02-15-03 at 08:04 PM
Yeah, gang-rapeposting here can be that way... enlightening.

Posted by TechNoir on 02-16-03 at 08:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-16-03 AT 08:27 AM (EST)

gang-rape

This from a person who points out spelling errors ...

"Half of Tech's charm is that sometimes I have no idea what she's talking about" -- True

Posted by desert_rhino on 02-16-03 at 05:09 PM
This from a person who points out spelling errors ...

Yeah? So?

Posted by I_AM_HE on 02-15-03 at 07:50 PM
>>Oh well. Occidents will happen.

ROFL!
very clever

Posted by magellanscross on 02-15-03 at 11:50 AM
well i guess there is only one black woman in the season because:

the other is an asian man (who gives other asians a bad name because he is all brawn and no brains, and that brawn is not even out to good use).

and there is a deaf girl. and the usual old people (but this time not older than 60... should we also cry ageism?!?!?)i even take it that they didnt have any gay man this time because they would not be able to decide which team to put him- men or women?!?

i guess 3 people from a minority is the new quota. and minority not only referring to those that belong to a different race but also to those that were born before WW2 broke out, those living alternative lifestyles, those with a physical handicap.

Posted by ejm92 on 02-15-03 at 04:09 PM
I don't really know if there is a quota. EPM just find the sixteen biggest and best DAW's that he can find, fortunately, for the African American community, there isn't a black man on the show to deface your community. Unfortunately, there are 7 white guys out there, doing damage to our heritage....consider yourselves lucky!

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champion

Posted by Drive My Car on 02-15-03 at 11:38 PM
Oh my heck Shanana and Tagi are back!! And both on the same thread!

**waves frantically like an idiot**

HI!

(p.s. I find the whole "who's gay" and "minority count" thing to be boring, but hey, that's just me)

Posted by IceCat on 02-16-03 at 00:09 AM
**waves frantically like an idiot**

<puts two fingers stuck up behind Buggy's head to complete the image>

<snort>

OUTSPOIL! OUTSPOOF! OUTRAGEOUS!

Posted by anotherkim on 02-16-03 at 02:58 PM
O.M.H.!!!!!

Did I read this one wrong--<puts two fingers stuck up behind Buggy's head to complete the image>

Adds horns to Icey for the picture and runs away laughing hysterically, bored by the quota chatter.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--finds P.C./reality show debates overwhelming and a wee bit useless

"Gay guys"
Posted by Basileos on 02-16-03 at 09:39 AM
Alex and Matty both have the gay voice, so IMHO they are both gay.

Interesting that they voted differenly at TC.

"RE: Gay guys"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 02-16-03 at 08:03 PM
Two words.... who cares?

Move on, nothing left to see. Gay/P.C. issues are boring and tacky, and only exposes homophobia/racism.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."