URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1727
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"A tribute to Mika"

Posted by Estee on 10-26-09 at 06:08 AM
I think I'll go down the waterslide
I mean I really want to go down the waterslide
I could go down it if I wanted to
I could do it any time I like

but I won't

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: A tribute to Mika"
Posted by Max Headroom on 10-26-09 at 08:57 AM
Let's review:

- Mika is afraid of heights.
- Mika is afraid of water.
- Mika can't swim.
- Mika can't run.
- Mika has a weak stomach
- Mika wears a patch for travel motion sickness.

Remind me again why she was cast for The Amazing Race?

She's not even that cute. Just sayin'

Posted by Snidget on 10-26-09 at 09:08 AM
I know I should wait for the interview, but seeing as they are trying to make it in an entertainment type of thing I assume they were recruited. Either an agent was working to get them noticed to get some exposure or because they are in the business they go to the right things where TAR recruiters go to get models/actors/ etc.

I assume they were cast for cute, not ability whether they were recruited or applied, but I tend to believe most of the "can't do it" are recruited and didn't really understand what they were getting into.

Haunted by Tribe!

Posted by mindy23 on 10-26-09 at 09:36 AM
I was SO *&^^%$ unbelievably frustrated with that girl last night, I was screaming at the TV, throwing my arms around like a mad woman, and spouting unspeakables at Phil et al...THEN, when Big Easy and his Partner came along and agged her on-THAT WAS PRICELESS!!!

As I stated in a previous post, this woman MUST have THOUGHT she'd gotten an application for America's Next Top Model. THAT is the only explanation I can come up with. There is NO other reality show that I know of that doesn't require some amount of physical and/or psychological challange to compete your way through to a nice, cool mil!

Her teammate SAYS he forgives her NOW, but just wait until the last episode, when whoever crosses that finish line actually gets awarded that check...and he has to go back to that place in time where little Mika, with her cute little floaties, refused to go down a water slide, that most 10 year olds would LOVE to! LOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!

Posted by Estee on 10-26-09 at 09:55 AM
her cute little floaties

Not according to Max.

It was a hanging curveball, okay?

I don't want to neglect Canaan's part in this fiasco: the times he essentially tried to sit behind her and push himself off, ramming her down the slide... Trash talk may be seen as low, but it's part of the game and you can ignore it at your leisure. Physically forcing your partner into something she doesn't want to do? So many class acts, so many more failing grades to give.

Posted by Karchita on 10-26-09 at 11:28 AM
But don't forget, in the end he forgave her.

There are sooooo many reasons not to get involved with a "Christian" nut case abuser.

Posted by Seana on 10-26-09 at 11:45 AM
> But don't forget, in the end he forgave her.

Oh, don't even start me. I was so cheesed...

Sig by agman, bouncy by IceCat

Posted by newsomewayne on 11-03-09 at 04:11 PM
After they had both regained control of their emotions,I think they forgave each other. So what's wrong with that?

surfkitten siggie and board shop 2007

Posted by Karchita on 11-03-09 at 08:23 PM
The show is edited very quickly, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't see them forgiving each other. I clearly saw him saying that he forgave her. I also didn't see any apology from Canaan or any acknowledgement from him that he had done anything wrong, yet I consider his behavior far worse than hers.

As I explained in this thread below, I see his behavior as abusive, and it would be unacceptable to me if I were Mika (which I am really happy to say I am not.). Her behavior was illogical, childish, and pathetic. Abuse requires a whole 'nother level of forgiveness than those faults.

Posted by newsomewayne on 11-04-09 at 08:57 AM
As I explained in this thread below, I see his behavior as abusive,

AS you said, YMMV. But I would love for you to show me a relationship so perfect there was never any abuse, as you define it, by either party. Or even just one party, for that matter.

I ask that because I know that no matter how perfect a relationship or person may be, there are always problems and conflicts that arise. It may not ever turn physical, but everyone goes too far sometimes in verbal and emotional "warfare".

And it is there, when people do go too far, that leads to what Canaan put so well. "There is a lot of freedom in forgiveness."

Posted by Karchita on 11-04-09 at 06:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-04-09 AT 07:22 PM (EST)

I never said that relationships have to be perfect to not be abusive. People get angry and impatient with each other all the time and it's not abuse. However, Canaan crossed a line with me and with others who found this scene painful to watch.

Actually, I didn't define emotional abuse below because it is very hard to define, I think. If you google it, you see a variety of definitions and most include things like belittling, blaming, name-calling, withholding help, support, or love, and infliction of psychological or emotional suffering, humiliation, intimidation or powerlessness.

I did say that I thought emotional abuse can occur just once and didn't have to be ongoing. By that, I don't mean your spouse calling you stupid or intimadating you one time; I mean one lengthy, substaintial incident like what happened between Canaan and Mika where he did just about everything included in the definition.

In addition, there was a real lack of respect for her or her feelings. As ridiculous as she looked and was acting, her fear was very, very real. It sounds like some of the commenters here also didn't respect that fact, but tv does depersonalize situations. Canaan was there in person and involved with Mika intimately. He had to have been aware that her fear was real and yet he showed no respect for her feelings. He treated them only as an impediment to what he wanted. I agree that loving people who are having a disagreement can sometimes go too far, but there has to be underlying respect for each other and I didn't see that at all in Canaan's behavior.

Second, it was sustained. It wasn't a momentary outburst, which again is something we all do from time to time. He kept tormenting her for, as I said below, what looked to me for at least 30 minutes. That's conservative. It may have been longer.

Third, it was willful. He had the opportunity to try a different tactic, to self-correct, to apologize, to support instead of tear down, but he didn't. And that is my point about the irony of him forgiving her. From what I saw, he committed a wrong as well, and one that was much more serious and willful than Mika's fear-based idiocy. Yet, he seems too arrogant to understand that is really much worse than what she did.

It was an ugly scene. It was abuse and there is no doubt about it in my mind. Forgiveness is great, but it was completely the wrong person giving the forgiveness here. I just read their bios and learned that they are not married, so maybe Mika will learn from watching or has already figured out the she can do better than Canaan. For her sake, I hope so. Everyone should feel respected by their spouse.

ETA: There is no doubt in my mind that it was abuse but only so far as I can be sure of anything on reality tv. I do recognize that we didn't see the whole scene and it may have been better than what we saw. It may also have been worse.

"To push, or not to push?"
Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 10-26-09 at 03:30 PM
Hubby and I were in a bit of a disagreement on this.

I thought it was completely unacceptable for Canaan to try and force Mika down the slide. Did you see her saying "help me! help me!" to the guy by the slide, and how he did NOTHING! I felt so bad for her.

She could have been seriously hurt if he forced her down - she wouldn't have been in the crossed legs/crossed arms position. I was so surprised the crew did nothing to prevent him from accosting her. Not cool.

Hubby didn't think it was such a big deal. He was furious with Mika on Canaan's behalf, and said Canaan would never forgive her for this. I said she would never have forgiven him if he forced her down the slide.

"RE: To push, or not to push?"
Posted by byoffer on 10-26-09 at 04:16 PM
I think a lot of the actions (and overactions) we see on the show are caused by the emotions of the competition. I could completely understand Canaan wanting to push her down the slide. Especially since the slide was not dangerous. Heck, kids start going down slides at alround age 1, and this waterslide is a public ride so has to be safe.

I have also seen bungy jump operators give a little push to help people get over their fear. Again, they know it is safe.

The whole thing was very painful.

Posted by jbug on 10-26-09 at 04:29 PM
Tell that to this guy....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=652a5b4ed6

or this one...

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/400914_bungee21.html

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 10-26-09 at 07:11 PM
This wasn't a kid's slide. It was six stories high, and almost a 90 degree angle. They tell you to cross your arms & legs and lay back for a reason!

Posted by sica077 on 10-27-09 at 10:26 PM
One more to add:

-Mika has never gone sledding and therefore that is out as well.

Come on! Sledding?! She is a fun-sucker.

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
I've been 'patched

Posted by kingfish on 10-26-09 at 01:50 PM
It ruined the whole episode. Instead of having Trotters drama and a race, it was a giveaway.

A chance to slide down the coolest slide in the world? I understand unreasonable fear and paralyzing phobias, but a 5 second slide?

Has she worn arm floaties (she is an adult, right?) in other challenges? What a goof.

BTW...8+7+date=lock combo? That was pretty funny.

And if he/they think taunting the enemy is unforgivable, he/they better not get interested in sports, let alone real life. Because both their mothers are so fat...

Giving the poker players a challenge involving mental money math was really too easy.

Posted by kidflash212 on 10-26-09 at 02:00 PM
Exactly, a slide is nothing. Over quickly and you'll be looking up the entire time so you won't realize how high you are.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-26-09 at 02:32 PM
Taunting because you're beating their ##### is ok in my book but taunting someone's fear, not cool.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

Posted by MissMyth on 10-26-09 at 04:05 PM
I don't think that ANYthing the Globetrotters said was anywhere near as bad as what her own team mate/boyfriend was saying and doing to her.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-27-09 at 01:47 PM
You are correct but two wrongs don't make a right.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 10-27-09 at 04:29 PM
I might be in the minority here, but I probably would have done the same thing as the Globetrotters. It's a race for a million dollars and I would want to do whatever it takes to keep myself in the race, knowing I just took a very long time at the roadblock.

In an ordinary situation, I wouldn't have done it and even tried to help out as I'm a former lifeguard and swim instructor, so I know a few tricks to get frightened people into the water for the first time.

But, in that situation? Hey, TAR is all about heights, water challenges, etc., so you know (or should know) what you signed up for. Game on. If you're in my way, then either do it pronto or I'll talk you out of doing it so I can get through and save myself at the end.

Having said that... Agreed, Canaan handled it poorly. I would have handled it in a different manner by saying something like, why don't I go down first and I'll catch you when you get to the bottom? Then just go and wait for Mika. Instead, he made her so terrified by his prodding and pushing that she wasn't going down under any circumstance. He should have reassured her it wasn't anything too bad by going down first and also pointing out everyone else had gone down as well without any trouble.

Posted by Karchita on 10-27-09 at 05:25 PM
Normally I don't approve of ridiculing someone's fears, but I don't have a problem with what the GTs did. It's part of the game. I also don't genrally approve of trash talking, but this is a psychological game as much as a physical one. IMHO, it's as legit as any other strategy that teams use to further themselves, like forming alliances, using locals, wihtholding your real occupation and so on.

Posted by kingfish on 10-28-09 at 10:29 AM
Those guys are pretty glib, and as basketball players, Globe Trotters no less, trash talking seems to be a natural, almost instinctive thing with them. Heck, earlier they made fun of themselves themselves after the watch/Combo fiasco.

Posted by Karchita on 10-28-09 at 11:37 AM
I think their behavior towards Mika is easier to overlook because they are so likeable. I am rooting for them even though I don't think they can actually win.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 10-29-09 at 05:53 AM
If the Guido's or Robmber, what would you say?

Posted by Karchita on 10-29-09 at 06:31 PM
I liked Romber, too. I remember some here criticized them for things they did, but not me.

I don't remember the Guido's, perhaps fortunately.

I do recognize that how I feel about a team can color my perception of whether they are playing nice, but I really don't think I would have a problem with this sort and amount of trash talk in this particular situation no matter who did it. Their trash talk may have kept them in the race for another leg and a lot of questionable behavior has been justified by that over the seasons of TAR.

Hobbs: plays fair and I kinda like that in a guy. *smoochie*

Posted by qwertypie on 10-26-09 at 04:57 PM
She threw a better tantrum than any of my kids did when they were two.

I thought the water wings were a nice touch.

Posted by kingfish on 10-26-09 at 07:43 PM
Yeah. And while I know that it definitely would be wrong, I also understand the urge to just pick her up and toss her down that dam slide.

If she couldn't overcome her phobia for a 5 second water slide, I might not be able to overcome my compulsion to own a million bucks.

(A million dollars would buy a lot of forgiveness.)

But it would be a wrong thing to do.

"On Canaan's Side"
Posted by samboohoo on 10-27-09 at 09:43 AM
I will premise this with the fact that I was a fan of (1) Dandrew and (2) Colin & Christy. Take it as you may.

Didn't watch Sunday. I saw the comments here and expected the worst. Frankly, I didn't think Canaan's behavior was "that" bad. I seriously doubt that anyone goes into the TAR experience completely blind. If you do, you're a complete idiot. Mika has fears, Mika can't do things. How old is Mika? She's old enough to know better. Canaan had to have had some knowledge of Mika's fears. He should have known better than to do the race with her. I do not feel sorry for anyone who does TAR and then cannot perform.

Canaan was not physically abusive to her. Her crying of "help me, help me" fell on deaf ears, as it should have. I think if Canaan had been doing anything that remotely resembled really harming her, someone would have done something. She acted like a complete spoiled child throwing a tantrum.

I also thought it was funny that the Globetrotters were taunting her. I think Canaan's outburst to them was purely out of frustration.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"RE: On Canaan's Side"
Posted by jbug on 10-27-09 at 09:59 AM
Check out RTVW interview on our front page.

She said she was more afraid of the height than the water...

He knew of her fears.... a few weeks before the race, had trouble getting her to go down a 6 ft slide off a pontoon boat.

also said he got right in the face of one of the GT about taunting her....

also said there was a rule against actually physically forcing a team member to do something...

Posted by Karchita on 10-27-09 at 05:19 PM
It wasn't physically abusive, but emotional abuse is very real and very harmful, and that is what Canaan was doing. The whole scene was very ugly. Her behavior was pathetic and his was cruel. It was also rather counter-productive.

Posted by samboohoo on 10-28-09 at 11:13 AM
*shrugs*

I think it's a sketchy, thin line to base the few minutes of edited footage we were given to say that it was "abuse." Also, edited footage of a stressful competition for a million dollars, a competition that one had to have known would put you in tense and fearful situations.

Could he have handled it better? Sure. But she was completely ridiculous. Completely.

Abuse???? Can't see it. But again, I'm not seeing anything with them outside of the race. And, I probably have a different view on what defines abuse. I would consider it to be more of an ongoing, everyday type of behavior. I've never been in an abusive relationship of any kind with a man. I would never stand for it.

Posted by Karchita on 10-28-09 at 05:47 PM
While some psychologists would agree that any behavior, emotional or physical, has to be part of a pattern to be abuse, that is not a view held by all by any means. Of course it is more serious if it is a pattern, but a single incident can be damaging nevertheless.

From the one incident it would be irresponsible to extrapolate from it to say it was a pattern, and I am not saying that. However, we also didn’t see the whole thing, and it looks like it went on for a very long time, at least a half hour. I saw enough to say that even the bits that were shown clearly looked like abuse to me. But then, I believe that emotional abuse exists and some people don’t. If you have someone writhing on the floor crying ‘help me, help me’ and her husband is right there but withholding help from her, I think it ought to be clear you have abuse taking place.

Then there are people who think a good wife beating is the way to maintain order in the household and all sorts of other ways to deny abuse. I know you don’t agree with that, but the point is that first a problem has to be identified before it can be solved. We have come a long way in identifying physical abuse, but still have a way to go with emotional abuse or we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

BTW, abuse almost always occurs when people are under stress; that doesn’t excuse it.

Posted by samboohoo on 10-29-09 at 10:28 AM
I understand what you are saying. I'm not discounting any of it, I just don't think it really applies here.

Posted by Karchita on 10-29-09 at 06:20 PM
If you think it doesn't apply, then you are discounting it.

I'll put it this way. It would not be acceptable to me for anyone who suposedly loved me to treat me like Canaan treated Mika. Even if they only did it once. Even if a million dollars were on the line. Even if I were being an idiot and wearing water wings. No how, no way. YMMV.

Posted by kingfish on 10-28-09 at 06:42 PM
To Boo...

So, you're saying that you've never got a "Whack" from Max?

Posted by Max Headroom on 10-29-09 at 08:27 AM
She'd probably whack me first.

Posted by samboohoo on 10-29-09 at 10:01 AM
Exactly. What Mika should have done was pushed him down the slide.

Posted by Karchita on 10-30-09 at 00:23 AM
I know that I'd whack him first.

*whack*

Posted by mrc on 10-27-09 at 01:56 PM
None of my kids ever threw as bad a fit as Mika did at that water slide. Those floats were just precious.

I've been Mooned!

Posted by MaryKat on 10-31-09 at 03:47 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-31-09 AT 03:48 PM (EST)

Mika was terrified and should have never been on The Amazing Race.
Canaan was making her hysterical. The Globetrotters were not making the situation any better, because she is scared of heights and could not go down.

Posted by fleaismycat on 11-05-09 at 01:07 PM
Mika was really fustrating with all her fears. If I was so fearful of everything (and I don't like heights) I wouldn't go on national tv to humilate myself over it. You just end up looking silly.

I had no problem with what Flighttime and Big Easy did. It would have been classier for them to be gentlemen and just stand there and wait but I figure as athletes they are much more competative and trash talking is part of professional sports (hang around hockey players and you'll learn that even Mothers aren't off limits). Their blood was up and Mika was like a bleeding porpoise. It happens. I doubt they'd do it in a non competative situation.

I have mixed feelings about what Canaan did. I think if it had been me and any one of my friends I would have expected to be shoved probably with a comment of "Your stupidity is not going to cost me 1,000,000$". She owed it to him to go down that slide. They are a team. No one was going to die going down the slide. It's not like jumping out of a plane or mountain climbing where the potential for injury exists. It's a slide. On the other hand. because he's male and she's female his trying to shove her is problematic as it opens him up to looking abusive. I didn't think he was abusive but when he tried to push her down the slide I thought he would have been better served not doing it. She's a drama queen. He just fed her drama. The only way to deal with a drama queen of any kind is not to contribute and not rise to the bait. His only hope at that point was to try and calm her down. I wonder if he had gone down first and then come back and let her see that he was fine if she might have had more courage.
Ultimately Canaan shouldn't have chosen Mika as his race partner knowing she was so fearful.

Posted by jbug on 11-05-09 at 02:03 PM
Can you imagine what she would have done if it had been bungie jumping!

If I had to compare that slide to bungie jumping, I'd slide any day.

Posted by featherfish81 on 11-06-09 at 00:05 AM
Me too. But with my luck I'd get on a season where I had to bunjee jump or sky dive, which is why I don't think I'll ever try out for this show.

Posted by newsomewayne on 11-05-09 at 03:30 PM
I think if it had been me and any one of my friends I would have expected to be shoved probably with a comment of "Your stupidity is not going to cost me 1,000,000$". ... No one was going to die going down the slide. It's not like jumping out of a plane or mountain climbing where the potential for injury exists. It's a slide.

Actually, that is very much not true. For your typical water slide, the slope is so low, that the only real potentials for injury would be whatever hit the hardest on the slide as you fell from being pushed. After that, it would become your standard ride down the chute. However, the slide they were on is very different. These slides (many water parks have a similar version) are almost straight down. On a 70' slide, the curve from vertical to horizontal will start about 40' down. But for that 40' down, you travel horizontally about 5'. Normal slides, the slope is just the opposite. As for the chute itself, it is very narrow and the sides are low. There is a reason they tell you to go down flat on your back with arms and legs crossed. It would not take a lot of shifting of your center of gravity to turn sliding into uncontrolled falling and uncontrolled falling into leaving the chute and falling straight down to the ground. Or in this case, into a shark tank. Now combine that with frantic panic and I wouldn't just not be surprised if Mika got hurt had she been forced down the slide, I would have bet my house she'd get hurt.

Welcome to the boards. Please continue to post. But on this point, I'm afraid you are dangerously wrong.

Posted by fleaismycat on 11-05-09 at 04:52 PM
It's just so hard to imagine. Death by Sliding.

But then I grew up in an age of gravel on the ground of my playground filled with arsonic laced wood, exposed screws and tire swings.

I can't help but see Mika as awfully silly though.

I mostly lurk btw but I've been around for awhile.

Posted by Karchita on 11-05-09 at 05:44 PM
Welcome! Post more! Lurk less!

I have to agree with Newsome that that slide is in a different category than ones that I have seen in the US. It could easily kill someone. If Mika had just not thought too much about it and gone down, it would have been over in seconds and she would have been fine. With everything else, you make excellent points.