URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 171
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"For Marty Fans"

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 10:59 AM
I have serious questions about Marty, I'm not tryin to be snarky. I think he is a good singer/performer and find him really interesting in this competition. A lot about him puzzles me - not how he's made it this far, but I guess why he has WANTED to. I'm not one to say he's better than INXS or that they need him more than he needs them (he has a day job and they have 30 million albums sold.)

1) What do you think of the "Save Marty" campaign on the Lovehammers website?
"I know I may get flamed for this but I was asked to bring it up. There is an underground cult that feels like the best thing for Marty (with or without the Lovehammers) is to not win Rockstar. After seeing last night’s show- him onstage with all of those morons, it seemed like a good time to write this...
Marty is way too ROCK for them and the show. He may even be convincing himself that he wants to win. They are brainwashing him. We must help. Comments, Ideas?"

2) Do you think he has had to compromise himself too much to fit with INXS?

3) Or do you think there isn't much of a market for grunge anymore and this is a better career move to tone down?

4) Do you think this was always a career move for him? I mean, do you really think he would leave the Lovehammers? They've been together since they were 14 or something.

5) Do you think they will take him back (if he loses or after he does one album with INXS?)

6) His Lovehammers song Trees, has done really well. Do you think he would be better off writing his own version of the INXS track so that he would have co-writing credits with them (his potential new band) instead of something from his past (with his old band.)?

7) Finally, how on earth do you reconcile the screaming, eyeliner, mad conductor image with a guy with a day job as a real estate appraiser and a degree in FINANCE???? It's like he's two different people.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: For Marty Fans"
Posted by jpl68 on 09-13-05 at 11:11 AM
I agree with you and am posting part of my post from under a different topic. I have the same questions you do.

"Marty by the way is moderately popular in Chicago with his band called Lovehammers. You can google the name or go to www.lovehammers.com. He has a record and a couple of video's. In fact, due to his popularity on the show, his record is actually like in the top 5 on msn.com for record downloads. Anyhow, this is part of why Marty will not win. He has a band and is moderately successful, but the problem is that it shows who he really is, which is not INXS. INXS' new album is coming out on Nov. 29. There is little time to rework the songs, add several new songs or to drastically change the direction of the Band. Therefore, Marty's pitch to help the band become more modern is simply not practical at this point. What INXS has to do is pick up where they left off, rely heavily on their back cataloge to get people to come to the shows and hope for the best. J.D. allows for this to happen, not Marty. J.D. will win.

Having said that, I acknowledge that Marty's experience of being in a band appears to be unmatched, but listen to some lovehammers and tell me you hear any INXS. I think Marty has actually out played everyone in this game as he has pulled the greatest publicity stunt ever. He is the most downloaded performer of any on msn.com and his band's current record is getting enormous publicity. I don't think Marty has any interest in being in INXS, if he were to tell the truth. He has brilliantly self promoted himself and when INXS talked about finding out the singer's motivations for wanting to be in the band, I think most viewed that as being directed toward J.D., when in reality I think it was directed toward Marty, as his band is pretty good already. Why would he give that up."

On a side note, if you watch Marty's video on loverhammers.com he looks like a different performer. I think he has toned it way down for this show, which is fine, but I don't think it is who he is.

Posted by CattyChat on 09-13-05 at 11:27 AM
I just posted under "J.D. Wins" a couple of the main reasons why I don't think Marty will (or should) win. What you have posted, LaLa follows along with my theory that Marty DOESN'T WANT TO WIN & would not be happy with INXS. INXS is not Marty's thing or style. Don't see it happening.

Marty wants to be in this as long as he can, so he can showcase HIS style and bring nationwide (heck, worldwide) recognition for him and his band. He has done that & will go on with his band, Lovehammers to whatever success they deserve.

The members of INXS weren't born yesterday and I am sure they realize this. It's not a knock against Marty, this was a great opportunity for him & the other contestants to get their name out there and help make a GREAT TALENT show for us to watch.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 11:46 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-05 AT 11:47 AM (EST)

Him not wanting to win - is he really that calculating? Remember, they are in a bubble there and being in a competition changes your perception/reality.

I mean, have you ever wondered what in the world happened to the intelligent, successful women/men on those dating/mating shows? In post show interviews they talk about losing themselves to the competition and just wanting to WIN not really thinking about do I really want to be with this person.

Posted by CattyChat on 09-13-05 at 12:07 PM
I'm not saying he doesn't want to win in a calculating way. I just think that he knows his style is so different from INXS that it is not going to work. Look how hard he fought against what they were telling him about his screaming performances, throughout the show? He thought he could continue & change their minds & admitted he was doing the opposite. When he realized INXS wasn't changing their opinion, he finally realized he better tone it down if he wants to stay in the competition.

I'm sure Marty started out really wanting to win, but now that he realizes (or should, anyway) that INXS doesn't not want his screaming, modern rock/grunge element to their band, how could Marty want to win? It is basically that he needs to CHANGE to be with them or continue what he's doing, but not with INXS. I think this has been a slow realization with Marty that he is not right for the band, but people love him so the longer he stays, the more exposure he gets.

Besides, no one likes to be rejected whether they want something or not. This is why I think so many people act so irrationally, crying & stuff when they "lose" on dating reality shows. They forget that the purpose of the show is to make a good match & they take the rejection personally. Two great perfect individuals just might not be great & perfect together. Marty not being "chosen" by INXS doesn't mean he's not a great talent, he's just not a great fit for the band.

It boils down to a line drawn in the sand & Marty made that line deep in the clips of his "interview" on Sunday. Marty is very confident that Marty knows what people want and if INXS doesn't agree with that, then why would they choose Marty?

Posted by Loree on 09-13-05 at 03:23 PM
I am a JD fan. But I also wonder why Marty wants to win this. I think now he really does want to win. But I do wonder if he isn't just caught up in the winning rather than the prize.

I did hear that INXS didn't even want him in the comp at first and he was added because the producers wanted his type in it. But then INXS really started to look at him as a strong contender.

I think Marty is changing to fit what INXS wants. I don't think he will be happy with the change if he wins. Even his interview seemed to be saying that he wanted to change them to his way of thinking if he won. I think he will stop screaming to win. But if he had the job he would be trying to put the scream back in. This isn't wrong for Marty. If that is his talent and what his fans want. But it isn't right for INXS.

I think Marty entered this contest for the exposure and it has really helped him. But I don't think Marty would be content with the prize if he won. I think INXS and Marty would butt heads over where they were going to go after this show.

Posted by Megacanuck on 09-13-05 at 03:30 PM
I agree. Their styles are just too different. As much as I like Marty, he's not right for INXS.

>But I don't think Marty
>would be content with the
>prize if he won.
>I think INXS and Marty
>would butt heads over where
>they were going to go
>after this show.

Posted by shanana banana on 09-13-05 at 04:36 PM
"I did hear that INXS didn't even want him in the comp at first and he was added because the producers wanted his type in it. "

Ah-hah -- so the producers DID want certain "types" to appear on the show.........showcasing again that they really don't care who ends up singing with INXS; they were more concerned with the ratings along the way by having different styles of performers.

Posted by Loree on 09-13-05 at 04:51 PM
Yes INXS did the interviews and picked the ones they were interested in, but the producers did add a few Rockers to fill it in and make good TV. I guess you could say INXS was convinced by MB to take a second look at a few of them. Marty was one of those that they did not have on their original list as someone they wanted on the show.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 05:29 PM
I guess I don't see anything wrong with the TV people having one set of goals (good tv) and INXS having another set (getting the best singer for them.) They are not mutually exclusive.

INXS could've held auditions in a traditional way but chose to go the tv route. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I don't think there's anything wrong with MB wanting a say in contestants (not in final decisions) and editing - ratings is his job, not helping INXS' career. They can work together and both get what they want.

Cmon, you know having Brandon and Marty in there made it more interesting. The inappropriate ones were fun & interesting and make the contenders looks good. Hey, at least they didn't throw in a bunch of bimbos with no talent.