URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 1707
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"American Idol 5: 2/28/06 Ladies East Coast Spoiler Thread"

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 07:40 PM
Please keep all discussion of tonight's performances by the 10 remaining ladies in this thread until 11:00 PM in the event the West Coasties wish to be surprised by the performances.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"No spoilers??"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 07:48 PM
No spoilers this week? I'm not sure if i am happy...or let down?

OH well, more surprises!

Big question ... will David croon or actually try to sing?

2nd big question ... who will blink more? Kevin or Bucky? And when will Simon comment on the blinking?

geekboy

"RE: No spoilers??"
Posted by xwraith27 on 02-28-06 at 07:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 07:51 PM (EST)

I read somewhere that David's singing Sinatra and Ayla's doing Celine. Not sure of the songs though

"RE: No spoilers??"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 07:51 PM
Ahem, it's 'ladies night', geekie. You know, Brenna, Katherine, Paris.

"RE: American Idol 5: 2/28/06 Ladies East Coast Spoiler Thread"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 07:54 PM
Here tonight, letting the DVR take on TAR since I needed to tape it anyway, and I'll get on to that at 9:30.

Bob Factoid: The fishercat is the only creature known to have gone completely insane chasing its own tail.

"Katherine McPhee"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 07:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 07:58 PM (EST)

Singing Stevie Wonder, 'All Is Fair'.

eta: 1-866-IDOLS-01

"RE: Katherine McPhee"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 07:58 PM
Singing damn good...but she looks pregnant in that outfit.

geekboy

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 07:58 PM
Omg, I absolutely lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve Katharine! She's so quirky and goofy!

-----------

~Erist

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 07:58 PM
She has a very strong voice, although I'm not sure how flattering that shirt is to her, that's not really the point here.

I thought she was better last week, but even if she swapped performances, she's still (at worst) the fourth best female.

Bob Factoid: The fishercat is the only creature known to have gone completely insane chasing its own tail.

Posted by Pepito on 02-28-06 at 10:27 PM
..., although I'm not sure how flattering that shirt is to
her, that's not really the point here.

EVERYTHING counts in pop idoldom, especially your clothing...

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:00 PM
Judge's comments:

Randy, safe choice,not best song choice, just okay for him. Paula, moves her, moves America, not a song choice that connected with her, but she's brilliant. Simon, in a show like this it's more than just singing, not her best night.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:00 PM
Wow, i thought it was a perfect song for her.

I was shocked by the judge's comments.

oh well, that's why i'm here and NOT there i guess.

geekboy

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:01 PM
I, too, thought her voice was lovely during that song. She has a very nice range.

Posted by volsfan on 02-28-06 at 08:03 PM
I didn't like it. There was just something about it that didn't work for me. And yes, that blouse has GOT to go!

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:05 PM
So, all the guys are going Project Runway on that shirt? Goodie, I'm not crazy.

Posted by volsfan on 02-28-06 at 08:14 PM

"Kinnik Sky"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:06 PM
Singing Gretchen Wilson. Sorry, I'm not as good at naming the songs on Seahorse (wow, I miss him). Anyone know the song?

1-866-IDOLS-02.

"RE: Kinnik Sky"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:07 PM
"I'm Here For The Party"

Kinnik is growing on me....

geekboy

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:09 PM
Liked her singing through most of the song. The end, not to much.

Randy, enjoyed her energy, liked the song her Gretchen Wilson but didn't show her range, but enjoyed the entertainment part. Paula, liked her having fun, but should pick songs that show her range. Simon, she attempted something to stand out in the crowd, but he would expect to see that at a theme park.

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 08:09 PM (EST)

I believe that the song is called "Here For The Party."

Started off kinda weak but got better as it went on.

Edit: Her outfit is really cute though

-----------

~Erist

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:09 PM
For a person who isn't a huge fan of country...I liked the performance. Maybe it's because I don't see girls do anything peppy. Not an amazing voice, but I liked it.

Some of the other performers are completely stoic though, even some of the boys. The judges seem to be getting a bit more harsh...and we got Simon's first "I'd see this at the theme park/restaurant/etc.".

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 08:12 PM (EST)

Agreed.

And also, she surprised me by going out of the 'standard AI songbook" and did something unexpected.

So it was a 'fun' song - SO WHAT - she did good and we'll remember her for that.

geekboy

Now, unlike Kinnik, i predict Lisa will not surprise us and do something Broadway-ish again, or Whitney/Celine/Mariah.....<snore>

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:14 PM
At this point in the competition, I think the judges are off. Doing fun songs, especially as a female singer (in a group that seems to avoid anything peppy unless you are a lock to go through), may be a good strategy. Granted, you have to pull it off to be recognized, but I'll remember Kinnik more for this week than I did in the last. Sometimes, entertaining the crowd is worth more than performing yet. another. ballad.

Posted by volsfan on 02-28-06 at 08:16 PM
At this time, I think it is ok to just blend in. I think they want to do well enough to get votes but they don't HAVE to hit a homerun every week.

"Lisa Tucker"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:17 PM
OK folks, I'm a classic rock kinda person. Unless they tell me what they are singing I'm lost. I need your help.

Good voice, though.

1-866-IDOLS-03

"RE: Lisa Tucker"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:17 PM
No idea what she's singing.

Sure, she has a strong voice, but I was bored with it.

In other news, Mandisa is looking quite elegant tonight.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:17 PM
Isn't this the Jackson Five "WHo's Loving You"?

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:19 PM
Looks like it, good call.

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:18 PM
Don't know this song, but it wasn't spectacular. Just average for me, but I do like her feisty spirit.

-----------

~Erist

"Don't know the song title"
Posted by moonbaby on 02-28-06 at 08:19 PM
and I don't like the song either. But she is excellent!

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:19 PM
Judges' comments:

Randy, different song choice for her (Michael Jackson?), didnt' show off her voice, knows she has it but was just aiiright. Paula, forgets she's only 16 years old, an amazing performer, she's a star. Simon, knows where the other judges are coming from, she has to be smart about her song choices, thinks she will sail through tonight.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:20 PM
Is it just me, or does this "little girl" have an ego the size of Texas?

That fact about her bugs the heck out of me. I think she, and her parents, are all full of her. She needs a bit of humility.

geekboy

Posted by volsfan on 02-28-06 at 08:21 PM
If she sticks around she will get some humility along the way...don't all of 'em?

"Melissa McGhee"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 08:21 PM (EST)

Reba McIntyre 'Why Haven't I Heard From You'.

etf: song title
1-866-IDOLS-04.

"RE: Melissa McGhee"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:21 PM
*SHOCKER*

I predict "bad song choice" reviews.

geekboy

Posted by volsfan on 02-28-06 at 08:22 PM
I don't think so! That is the best so far for me.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:23 PM
See! I know squat!

geekboy

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:21 PM
Meh. Again, not spectacular for me. Maybe I'm just being hard to impress this week.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:22 PM
Meh. She just doesn't click with me. Good voice, she doesn't look like a fool on stage, and so on, but she just doesn't stand out.

And this was different than Kinnik's performance in terms of a faster song. I don't know, it just didn't click for me.

And if that's her best possible choice...well...I'm not even sure if I want her on anymore. But that's America's choice.

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:26 PM
Judges' comments:

Randy, the song fit her, perfect choice, smoky voice returned, that was hot. Paula, she's coming out of her shell, unique voice, loves her tone. Simon, loves her voice but thought it was the wrong song, not making a connection with the audience, must do something with the 'wow' factor.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:25 PM
Is it just me? I find myself sitting here just waiting for Mandisa tonight. Nobody else is wowing me.

geekboy

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:26 PM
Nope, it's not just you.

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:27 PM
While I'm excited for Paris as well, I agree with your general point. With Katharine not being as good as last week, there aren't any females I want to see perform outside of Mandisa and Paris.

At least with the guys, even the lesser ones are different. David's not great, but he's a crooner. Gedeon's a borderline Top 6, but he seems to be able to bring some life to any performance. Kevin has a great Groban-type of voice. Each of them bring something to it. However, if you placed all the girls behind a curtain, I couldn't tell most of them apart...and while that's fine for the great singers, not so good for the middling ones.

"Heather Cox"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:29 PM
She's singing 'Hero' by Mariah Carey.

1-866-IDOLS-05

"RE: Heather Cox"
Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:31 PM
Well, this is a surprise. Very generic song, nothing special in her choice. BUT, she did an awesome job on it. Good for Heather, one of the better performances this week for me.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:32 PM
Some people can pull off Mariah, some cannot. Care to guess which group I think Heather is in? It's not the first one.

If it were me (and I have no voice), if I got lambasted last week by the judges for my singing, I may try something that doesn't need a strong voice.

It's not that she's necessarily bad, but even the long, strong note wasn't on for me.

Maybe I'm being too critical...no I'm not.

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:34 PM
Judges' comments:

Paula, improved from last week, but runs a huge risk when sings songs performed by icons, did a good job but not great. Randy, (who has, by the way, switched seats so Paula doesn't have to sit next to Simon), song choice, will pale in comparison to stylized singers. Simon, agrees with Paula and Randy, came across like a pageant song, pointless unless you do something original with the song.

"Halfway point"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:38 PM
Nobody has truly picked a good song tonight.

Boys, take note. The girls are boring me.

geekboy

"RE: Halfway point"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:39 PM
I still maintain that I would have booted four girls last week instead of two of each.

At least when Bobby was horrendously bad...he was entertaining in a sadistic way...egads.

"Brenna Gethers"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:39 PM
Singing Donna Summer's 'Last Dance'.

1-866-IDOLS-06

"RE: Brenna Gethers"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:40 PM
This has potential...lets see.

geekboy

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-06 AT 08:48 PM (EST)

Well. If we were over halfway in...and you told me that Brenna would be my favorite performer so far...I wouldn't have believed you. Go figure.

Really, I don't care what the judges say on this one. I think she was better than anyone else so far tonight. Not saying much, but I liked it more than a lot of the other stuff tonight. Katharine's up there, as was Kinnik, but...man...

Just watched it again on the commercial break. I see the points of the masses. Dropped it a few spots, still not the worst this week.

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:42 PM
To tell you the truth, I didn't even watch this one. I was watching Howie Mandel open suitcases, which should say something about the quality of the girls thus far.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:43 PM
Deal or No Deal is on? I'm missing it for this? Damnit.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:42 PM
Started off OK, but got boring. Paula was right.

6 down....

geekboy

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:43 PM
Judges' comments:

Paula, doesn't see the magic from her, asks Brenna how she thought she did (can you guess her reaction?). Randy, attitude and vocals weren't there, pitchy, uninspired. Simon, song choice was a chance, came over as someone singing on holiday at a bar.

"No Way"
Posted by Angelfood on 02-28-06 at 08:45 PM
I did a better rendition of this song at my cousin's wedding. And that was with no notice or preparation.

"RE: No Way"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:46 PM
The thing that bugged me was that i didn't remember the melody/lyrics she was singing up until the familliar chorus. Either she was singing very badly....or my memory is failing.

geekboy

"RE: No Way"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:47 PM
Yea, she was jumping all over the place with the lyrics, trying to fit into the time constraints. Not sure why she chose to chop it up so badly.

"Hi!"
Posted by Coconut on 02-28-06 at 08:49 PM
I'm in, belatedly; someone wants to watch the hockey game. Booring.

Sounds like I'm not missing a lot, though.

Coconut: Taking the grammer police to a whole new level.

Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:47 PM
Question: Is it a bad sign that I had to look up the 4th performer's name that we had remaining (I got Paris, Kellie, and Mandisa, missed Ayla) when she was featured in auditions, hollywood, and had a week already performed?

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:49 PM
I stand by my prediction pre-top-24 that it was the year for a guy to win. Tonight is proving it.

geekboy

"Hey, geekboy."
Posted by Coconut on 02-28-06 at 08:50 PM
*smooch*

"RE: Hey, geekboy."
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:52 PM
>>blush<<

"Paris Bennett"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:50 PM
Singing Bette Midler 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. (Hey, I'm proud of myself, recognized from the first bars of the song.)

1-866-IDOLS-07

"RE: Paris Bennett"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 08:51 PM
I liked this rendition. A voice, a little lacking on the style, but strong enough to overcome it and I liked the performance. I think she's showing herself as one of the key competitors.

Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:51 PM
In my oh-so-humble opinion, this song does NOT fit Paris.

geekboy

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 08:52 PM
Again...meh. Was alright, was expecting so much more. Oh well.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 08:53 PM
Girl has pipes, but didn't thrill me with this song.

Judges' comments;

Paula, likes her fashion style, amazing performer, wants to remind her to celebrate the fun. Randy, she's like a young Lauren Hill, don't have to play it safe, doesn't want to hear her sing songs so old, not as good as last week but hot. Simon, she needs to avoid trying to sound 50.

"7 down..."
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 08:56 PM
Quite boring women tonight. Going downstairs to finish watching w/ my non-boring wife. Will stop the comments for this evening, and will be back tomorrow night for what i think will NOT be boring.

geekboy

* GO MANDISA *

"Ayla Brown"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:00 PM
Singing 'I Want You To Need Me' by Celine Dion.

1-866-IDOLS-08.

"RE: Ayla Brown"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 09:01 PM
I have to credit her with the ambition to do Christina Aguliera and then Celine Dion, and actually do decent on both of them. I wasn't bored by this one, which is more than I can say for most.

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 09:02 PM
What is this? Week of the average performances? Ayla was probably one of the better ones.

At least I am liking the snippets they show before the performances.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:04 PM
Judges' comments;

Paula, thinks she really wants this, pleasantly surprised her, picked the right song for her range, this week better than last. Randy, liked her back story, also surprised tonight, picked a good song for her voice, liked it. Simon, working harder than anyone has soon so far, will accomplish whatever sets out to do, still a little mechanical, will do well but wonders whether it will be good enough.

"Tonight's Theme?"
Posted by Angelfood on 02-28-06 at 09:00 PM
choose a song by a stylized singer who's Bigger than your ego.

"RE: Tonight's Theme?"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 09:02 PM
I like this unannounced theme night idea. You are right. I still liked Ayla though...

"RE: Tonight's Theme?"
Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 09:03 PM
More like week of sucking huge.

-----------

~Erist

"Kellie Pickler"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:06 PM
Singing Bonnie Raitt. 'Something To Talk About'

(Woo and Hoo! Tear it up, girl!)

1-866-IDOLS-09.

"RE: Kellie Pickler"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 09:07 PM
I was kind of watching TAR.

The end sounded good...

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 09:09 PM
Three words. About. Freakin'. Time. Kellie rocked the house this week. Awesome song, awesome performance!!!

And the bit about the food and the dogs and all the dancing? She reminds me of a girlfriend I had back in high school...what an adorable sweetheart.

-----------

~Erist

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:09 PM
(I was expecting more from her with this song.)

Judges' comments:

Paula, she's adorable, picked a good song for her vocals, enjoyed this performance. Randy, dawg pound has a hot one tonight, right song, right outfit, doing her thing. Simon, cannot help but like her, if wasn't watching her and just listening would think it was average, but she is cute and likeable and thinks America will fall in love with her.

Posted by geekboy on 03-01-06 at 07:18 AM
There is something very "young" and naive about her, and when she performs, it comes across, and in the end she just doesn't "have it" compared with the others.

Does that make sense?

I thought she had it in her audition, but now I don't think she does.

geekboy

"Mandisa"
Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:14 PM
Singing 'Cry' by Faith Hill.

1-866-IDOLS-10

"RE: Mandisa"
Posted by Fishercat on 02-28-06 at 09:17 PM
Figures they make me wait til the end for Kellie and Mandisa.

Posted by kathliam on 02-28-06 at 09:19 PM
A little sharp in a few places, but girl blew the walls off the joint.

Judges' comments:

Paula, she's one of a kind, needed in competition, unbelievable vocal range, putting her own spin on unconventional songs. Randy, verse a little rough, center of range good when belting, not thrilled with song choice, sharp in a couple places (see, I told you!). Simon, thinks America will keep her around for a while, liked how she looked last week better, doesn't think it was a great song choice, but when she's on there isn't a better female singer in the competition.

Posted by Survivorerist on 02-28-06 at 09:23 PM
Looks like my other post didn't go through, but what I wanted to say was that her performance wasn't super, but she is extremely likeable and has that special something that would make me want to keep her around.

-----------

~Erist

"geekboy's Top 3"
Posted by geekboy on 02-28-06 at 10:13 PM
And I quote:

"Dreadful." - S. Cowell

Probably one of the worst nights in AI history in terms of song selection.

All that I remember is 3 from tonight.

Ayla - Most improved, great performance.
Mandisa - Classy, original, and great song choices which "she makes her own". Paula for once was correct.
Kinnik - I loved the sass and the surprise song selection. Your performance, i think, was great

The others: (a) poor song selection (b) boring

Pick your favorite reason for each.

Looking forward to some excitement and competition from the boys.

geekboy

Posted by zombiebaby on 03-01-06 at 08:44 AM
I am so glad I did not stay watching this. The females are incredibly boring. I am not even going to watch any more of them until the top 12.

Bring on the guys!

"*sits with Zombs*"
Posted by Breezy on 03-01-06 at 10:22 AM
Sing it sister! The girls were awfully boring.