URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1705
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Redemption, TAR-style."

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-11-09 at 08:06 AM
Epic fail.

Was I the only one feeling vindicated by Luke's failure at the surfboard puzzle task, despite arriving at the site with a sizable time lead over the other teams?

But there is no much joy in Mudville— mighty Casey Luke has struck out.

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

Table of contents
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,byoffer, 08:26 AM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,ARnutz, 08:58 AM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Max Headroom, 09:00 AM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,ARnutz, 09:03 AM, 05-11-09
          • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Snidget, 09:12 AM, 05-11-09
            • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,ARnutz, 09:15 AM, 05-11-09
              • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,MissMyth, 04:14 PM, 05-11-09
                • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,HobbsofMI, 09:26 PM, 05-11-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,HobbsofMI, 09:10 AM, 05-11-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,samboohoo, 09:24 AM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,ARnutz, 09:25 AM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,samboohoo, 09:27 AM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,ARnutz, 09:28 AM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Estee, 09:37 AM, 05-11-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,jbug, 09:48 AM, 05-11-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Wiggle, 10:40 AM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,mindy23, 10:56 AM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,PepeLePew13, 11:02 AM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,jbug, 12:22 PM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Loree, 12:21 PM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,PepeLePew13, 01:03 PM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,kidflash212, 06:28 PM, 05-23-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,PepeLePew13, 11:07 AM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Estee, 11:25 AM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,JessicaRN, 12:50 PM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,mtopaz, 04:26 PM, 05-11-09
    • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Max Headroom, 01:43 PM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,HobbsofMI, 02:07 PM, 05-11-09
        • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,cambo, 05:28 PM, 05-11-09
      • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Bursar, 09:18 AM, 05-12-09
  • RE: Redemption, TAR-style.,Belle Book, 06:55 PM, 05-11-09

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Redemption, TAR-style."
Posted by byoffer on 05-11-09 at 08:26 AM
I was torn between cheering against Luke and cheering for Margie. She was the bionic woman in that carry-the-pig challenge, as she was many other times in the show. She deserved to win.

Luke certainly seemed like a big suck. Even on the mat, the race was all about him with very little about his mom racing. Sure, he got all sappy about her knowing how to sign, but he should have celebrated her performance on the race.

Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-09 at 08:58 AM
I agree. Margie was amazing. She totally rocked the tasks over the whole race. I still did not like how she treated Jen/Kisha and seeing something that was not there, but I can appreciate her mama bear mentality.

In the end, I would have been OK with them winning, but I am glad Victor and Tammy did instead. It didn't matter to me as long as Jaime the shrew did not win.

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-11-09 at 09:00 AM
It didn't matter to me as long as Jaime the shrew did not win.

Funny, I didn't care who won either, as long as it wasn't Luke the spoiled, whiny brat. I guess that's why they have chocolate and vanilla.

Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-09 at 09:03 AM
So I guess we can conclude that the Tammy/Victor win was the best possible scenario all around.

Posted by Snidget on 05-11-09 at 09:12 AM
Pretty much, kinda like the lesser of several evils.

I did like that Tammy/Victor did seem to be more interested in racing than in getting involved in the drama.

I got home and turned on the TV when Margie/Luke were in a strong lead and I kinda feared they would win. If Margie could win without Luke...

So many teams to not like this year, and so few to root for.

Still it didn't make up for the disappointment later in the evening at the end of the longest reality TV finale in history.

Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-09 at 09:15 AM
Yes. If only Margie could win without Luke and if only Cara could win without Jaime. Would be cool of people could switch partners, huh?

Posted by MissMyth on 05-11-09 at 04:14 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-09 AT 04:16 PM (EST)

It would be SO cool if TAR would put that in as a new twist. After three legs teams can change partners.

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-11-09 at 09:26 PM
NO, NO, NO... don't even mess with it that way.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-11-09 at 09:10 AM
And Margie set it up by saying how hard he studied on the plane just for this task.

Posted by samboohoo on 05-11-09 at 09:24 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-09 AT 09:25 AM (EST)

I was disapointed for them. For both of them.

I'm probably the only one who felt that way.

ETA: I was fine with any of the three teams winning. I just felt bad that he went out that way.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-09 at 09:25 AM
Yes, but you were also one of the rare few who like Dandrew.

Makes me question your tastes.

Posted by samboohoo on 05-11-09 at 09:27 AM
Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla!

I made an edit above. I just didn't hate Luke and Margie like others did.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by ARnutz on 05-11-09 at 09:28 AM
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.

LOL

Posted by Estee on 05-11-09 at 09:37 AM
Dan & Andrew were not vanilla. On their best day, they barely reached bubble gum pistachio.

Posted by jbug on 05-11-09 at 09:48 AM
We hear every one of the racers making comments while they are attempting a task - when they are having trouble - whatever.
Every one of them could be considered to be 'whining' or complaining. The tone of voice is different with each person.

I can't help but think that because of Luke's speech issues, he sounds more like he is whining than the others. If he could speak clearly, I wonder then if we wouldn't hear him any differently than the others.
I don't think his whining was any worse than hearing Jamie cry all thru the race "this is ridiculous".

Luke worked hard at the final task. It turned into a real roadblock for him - as it did for Cara (or was that Jamie?).

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

Posted by Wiggle on 05-11-09 at 10:40 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-09 AT 10:59 AM (EST)

If I were Luke and his mom I think in retrospect I'd be more pissed off that the cheerleaders screwed them than about losing. I found it despicable that after Luke helped them get the final task done they didn't wait around for him to finish, tandem in the taxis, and cross the finish line together.

Maybe I missed something, or maybe I'm just too much of an optimist about human character, but I hope they split the 2nd/3rd prize money.

Posted by mindy23 on 05-11-09 at 10:56 AM
Did I see this wrong, or did Jamie NOT show Luke her boards first? I thought it was that way, but then, my brain sometimes gets things screwed up. Either way, Luke himself said many times, "This is for a million dollars", especially when he set back a team or two, so what do you expect?

Especially of the super beotches, who had never come in first, never even close, until the race before, when it wasn't even a final race. I'm sure their heads were wrapped around that mil, as was everyone else.

I thought it was just cool how they all helped each other. I don't remember seeing that in any of the previous TAR finales, but again-blame my pain meds. I think I'm having an epiphany right now, and seeing Luke show Jamie his, but I could swear it was the scorpions that Jamie showed Luke first?? Someone help me here. OR I'll just re-watch...

In any case, I was at the point that I was rooting for V&T, mostly because they chose to treat everyone fairly, kindly and stayed out of the total drama that happened in the last few episodes. That pig had to weigh more than Tammy, God help her! And the big hug she gave Margie showed that she really is a decent person.

As I've said before, this has been a really VANILLA season for me, too. Next season, let's spice things up a bit more, and get some people who are ready to rumble, who listen and obey the rules, and are willing to win without so much whining and jerking people around!

Side note: I was thinking the sisters would never have made it though that boat/water ordeal. That could have been the end for them. But there really wasn't any swimming involved, so who knows??

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-11-09 at 11:02 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-09 AT 11:06 AM (EST)

Luke showed Jaime the first board, then after she found the board and completed all eleven, she and Cara were about to leave then they suddenly turned around and showed Luke the boards that he needed to complete the task.

And in reply to Wiggle (post #14 above yours), Luke and Margie left moments later than Cara and Jaime, so they obviously got a bad taxi that caused them to arrive by a later margin than they had left. I suppose C/J could have waited for L/M but they only had one that they were stuck on while Luke was stuck on two, so I think C/J deserved second place more than L/M did.

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

Posted by jbug on 05-11-09 at 12:22 PM
I did think that Jamie (or was it Cara) should have showed Luke which board or boards he needed (I think he was down to just needing the scorpions at that point) before she went to find her missing one.
Trading info and then each finding the board they needed would have been more fair.

Posted by Loree on 05-11-09 at 12:21 PM
I always thought only first place received any prize money in TAR. The travel around the world was suppose to be the prize for the rest, wasn't it? Plus anytime you finish 1st on a leg and receive a prize.

Do 2nd and 3rd get prize money?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-11-09 at 01:03 PM
They all do get money.

Prize payouts

As TARflies Times excellent TAR FAQ notes, Aaron from “The Amazing Race 6” reported on Television Without Pity that teams receive the following payments, which of course they have to split with each other:

Winner, $1,000,000
Runner-up, $25,000
3rd $10,000
4th $7,000
5th $6,000
6th $5,000
7th $4,000
8th $3,500
9th $3,000
10th $2,500
11th $1,500

Posted by kidflash212 on 05-23-09 at 06:28 PM
"If I were Luke and his
mom I think in retrospect
I'd be more pissed off
that the cheerleaders screwed them
than about losing. I
found it despicable that after
Luke helped them get the
final task done they didn't
wait around for him to
finish, tandem in the taxis,
and cross the finish line
together.

Maybe I missed something, or maybe
I'm just too much of
an optimist about human character,
but I hope they split
the 2nd/3rd prize money."

Then again - there was a miniscule chance that T & V's cab could have gotten a flat or lost or taken them to the wrong golf course. Waiting for another team would not make much sense then.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-11-09 at 11:07 AM

>Was I the only one feeling
>vindicated by Luke's failure at
>the surfboard puzzle task,

If anyone feels the need to be "vindicated" over how a certain team member finished, then YMMV. How does one get to be "vindicated" anyway?

Stinky Musings <--- blog's been updated!

Posted by Estee on 05-11-09 at 11:25 AM
First, you need a VIN number...

Posted by JessicaRN on 05-11-09 at 12:50 PM
There was a story in the Denver Post this morning, that said that Margie and Luke would watch the show every Sunday with the deaf community in Colorado Springs. Luke graduated as the Valedictorian of the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.

They seemed surprised (disappointed) that Luke being gay was not mentioned. He was strictly depicted as "the deaf guy." He liked the cheerleaders like sisters.

Posted by mtopaz on 05-11-09 at 04:26 PM
Well, that's clearly because Mike & Mel were the gays in the race this time around. Sorry Luke, but only one specialized category per contestant. Them's the rules.

/snark

Designed by Agman, siggy maker to the gemstones

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-11-09 at 01:43 PM
vin·di·cate (vnd-kt)
tr.v. vin·di·cat·ed, vin·di·cat·ing, vin·di·cates
1. To clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting arguments or proof: "Our society permits people to sue for libel so that they may vindicate their reputations" Irving R. Kaufman.
2. To provide justification or support for: vindicate one's claim.
3. To justify or prove the worth of, especially in light of later developments.
4. To defend, maintain, or insist on the recognition of (one's rights, for example).
5. To exact revenge for; avenge.

I didn't like Luke. At all. And I was glad to see him fail so miserably.

Is it wrong to actively root against a reality TV contestant?

Headbanger by IceCat, siggie by agman

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-11-09 at 02:07 PM
Was it because he was gay? (I find it funny that they are mad at TARs for not bringing it up)

I didn't like Luke too much too but it was all his mother fault cause she said he studied so hard for it. I can understand brain lock but when he got locked up and frustrated it was as bad as Jamie at taxi drivers or Victor locked into leading or trying to spell a Russian poet (oh...that was him too and should have been a clue to Margie to take it).

Posted by cambo on 05-11-09 at 05:28 PM
I thought L/M would cruise to victory after that huge lead they had, but once Luke got two of the boards wrong I knew his frustration would get the better of him. It looked like he just started throwing up any board he could find.

Posted by Bursar on 05-12-09 at 09:18 AM
>
>I didn't like Luke. At
>all. And I was
>glad to see him fail
>so miserably.
>
>Is it wrong to actively root
>against a reality TV contestant?
>
>
I am so with you there, Max.

Now if only Coach can fail so spectacularly, life will be good.

Posted by Belle Book on 05-11-09 at 06:55 PM
Mostly, I felt sorry for Luke. But since he definitely came off as whiny and complaining, I wasn't too sorry for him.