URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1704
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"My taxi driver does not know..."

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-11-09 at 07:31 AM
where to go so I'm going to call the police! because this is worth a million dollars to us and the person our taxi driver is calling is not a concierge.

GO WINGS! 2008 Stanley Cup Champs!
sig JSlice and by IceCat, and bobble head by Tribephyl

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: My taxi driver does not know..."
Posted by vince3 on 05-11-09 at 07:51 AM
I'm surprised they didn't yell the infamous, "We're in a RACE FOR A MILLION DOLLARS!" to that person on the other end of the line, and threaten to say that if they refuse to help them that they owe them that million since they cost them the Race.........

Posted by Estee on 05-11-09 at 08:03 AM
Have you ever been to Manhattan? Just because you're paying a taxi driver money, it doesn't mean s/he has an obligation to take you where you wanted to go. It just means you have to give them money. And more money. Some more money now would be nice. Meter's running!

Posted by Molaholic on 05-11-09 at 08:30 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-09 AT 08:31 AM (EST)

Have you ever been to Manhattan?

But, dude, this was Maui. Kick back and chill, ya know?

Posted by Estee on 05-11-09 at 08:34 AM
All the truly great cabbies serve an apprenticeship in Manhattan. It's where they learn not to speak English.

Posted by JessicaRN on 05-11-09 at 09:08 AM
The fact that it was Hawaii meant that if the driver would have pulled over and put them out, there would not have been another taxi drive coming by for them to abuse.

Posted by mindy23 on 05-11-09 at 10:59 AM
What I don't get is WHY the taxi driver didn't know where the place was?? Don't they get paid for that information??? And in the meantime, the meter is running, and he's reading maps, calling his boss, getting gas, etc, etc.....I would have been PI$$ED, too!!!

Maui is NOT freaking Idaho-it's a fairly small island!

Posted by vince3 on 05-11-09 at 11:05 AM
I think nowadays the meters in taxis are based on miles driven, so if he's stopped and trying to get directions, it's only a time waster. If he's driving around lost, however........

Posted by MaryKat on 05-11-09 at 11:13 AM
It would have been funny if they had to go to Manhatten. They could have been in the US and had a taxi driver who could not speak English or not known where he was going.

Posted by Wiggle on 05-11-09 at 11:30 AM
Well, I work in downtown Portland, Or, and I took a cab for work one time and my driver didn't know how to get to perhaps Portland's central location, Pioneer Square - maybe 10 blocks away in a city with a very small downtown. I was pretty annoyed and (a) it was during work and paid by work and (b) I wasn't in the chance of making $1 million.

I think there are certain expectations of cab drivers - know the immediate downtown/how to at least approach a neighborhood from the airport/how to say "Where's that," and get directions.

Oh wait, maybe that's the problem -- most taxi drivers are men and are thus genetically incapable of asking for directions?

Perhaps we need a new Amazing Race boards category: "Male pattern can't ask for directions-ness"?

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-11-09 at 12:22 PM
Funnier yet would be they are in Manhatten and jump into the Cash Cab!!!

Posted by dajaki on 05-11-09 at 07:58 PM
Going double or nothing on the video bonus question: What is the two word term that describes the type of individual seen here? (montage of Jaime screaming at local inhabitants of various cities around the world)

Answer: Ugly American (Jaime wouldn't have known the answer and left the Cash Cab with $0.)

Posted by Karchita on 05-12-09 at 01:52 AM
My two cents:

The Hana Road is a major tourist attraction. I have only been to Maui three or four times, and I know where the Hana Road is. The clue said Hana Road. I don't understand what the problem was with driving down the Hana Road unless the not-so-cheerful leaders either didn't read the clue or show it to the driver, or for some reason they were overruling just heading down the Hana Road.

I only lived in Hawaii for a couple of years, but this I know: pushy + white + female = not exactly a lot of cooperation from locals.

Don't ask me how I know about that pushy part.

Posted by JessicaRN on 05-12-09 at 09:19 AM
Plus, from what I remember of the Hana Road, once you were on the road, there was not going to be any speeding or passing each other. When they got on the road, they were pretty much going to finish in that order, leading to kind of an anti-climatic finish.

"Speaking of taxi's"
Posted by true on 05-12-09 at 07:56 AM
TAR's biggest flaw is the final leg coming down to who has the best taxi driver. They should just change the name of the show to The Amazing Taxi Race. UGH. The show has contestants driving around foreign countries, why can't they drive themselves in the final leg!? Patooey.

"RE: Speaking of taxi's"
Posted by samboohoo on 05-12-09 at 10:07 AM
I agree. And for some reason, this year it seemed they were in taxis a lot. A whole lot.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Starshine on 05-12-09 at 01:52 PM
In some countries driving could be dangerous, I wouldn't drive in Romania for example, however driving in Hawaii should be OK.

J Slice what a cool lady

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Posted by HobbsofMI on 05-12-09 at 02:14 PM
Yep, but if I was driving myself and was behind or just in front the chances of speeding, driving crazy, being very frazzled, etc.: 100%.

Thus why I don't see them letting them drive the last leg.

Posted by true on 05-12-09 at 02:38 PM
I don't buy that excuse. Every leg is potentially for the million, and from what I've seen over the years, each leg is equally frazzling. I'm sure there are stiff penalties for breaking the law, and since TAR has been following the rules like sticklers lately, there is no reason why they could not drive themselves in the final leg.

Posted by Keyser on 05-12-09 at 02:48 PM
Can you imagine running up to the mat, all of the other teams cheering, and then Phil saying at the final mat the following?

"After 5 continents, 15 countries, and 10,000 miles (Im just making up numbers), you are the first team to arrive .... however, you have incurred a 30 minute penalty for speeding. Please wait out your penalty over there and afterwards I can check you in"

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-12-09 at 02:55 PM
I could see that happening to Mark & Michael.

Posted by ARnutz on 05-12-09 at 04:52 PM
This is true, but the finish line is always somewhere in the US, so I don't see why they can't drive during the final leg. Maybe it is just for the fact that there are speeding penalties. *shrug*

Posted by mrc on 05-12-09 at 03:36 PM
I didn't realize it until you wrote it, but you're right: why the heck did they not drive themselves more this season?

A Slice of Manga