URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 170
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"J.D. Wins . . . and Here is Why"

Posted by jpl68 on 09-13-05 at 10:48 AM
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-05 AT 11:04 AM (EST)

After many agonizing nights of debating with myself about who is going to win this thing, after sorting through the rumors and giving consideration to all of the views I have read thus far, I have finally reached a conclusion. J.D. Wins!!

Marty by the way is moderately popular in Chicago with his band called Lovehammers. You can google the name or go to www.lovehammers.com. He has a record and a couple of video's. In fact, due to his popularity on the show, his record is actually like in the top 5 on msn.com for record downloads. Anyhow, this is part of why Marty will not win. He has a band and is moderately successful, but the problem is that it shows who he really is, which is not INXS. INXS' new album is coming out on Nov. 29. There is little time to rework the songs, add several new songs or to drastically change the direction of the Band. Therefore, Marty's pitch to help the band become more modern is simply not practical at this point. What INXS has to do is pick up where they left off, rely heavily on their back cataloge to get people to come to the shows and hope for the best. J.D. allows for this to happen, not Marty. J.D. will win.

Having said that, I acknowledge that Marty's experience of being in a band appears to be unmatched, but listen to some lovehammers and tell me you hear any INXS. I think Marty has actually out played everyone in this game as he has pulled the greatest publicity stunt ever. He is the most downloaded performer of any on msn.com and his band's current record is getting enormous publicity. I don't think Marty has any interest in being in INXS, if he were to tell the truth. He has brilliantly self promoted himself and when INXS talked about finding out the singer's motivations for wanting to be in the band, I think most viewed that as being directed toward J.D., when in reality I think it was directed toward Marty, as his band is pretty good already. Why would he give that up.

J.D. got to sing Mystify on elimiation. He also got to sing this live with a few members of the band at a radio gig. I can not tell, but it appears that this was before the elimation show. Thus, they new he would excell at that song and threw him a softball on elimination night. Another sign that J.D. will win.

Pretty Vegas is already getting airplay, was written in part by Andrew and sounds like an INXS song. A marketing dream come true for INXS. Another sign that J.D. will win.

Finally, how could J.D. win the encore and then end up in the bottom three. If you think about it, it simply does not make sense. The answer, . . . the fix is in. INXS wanted J.D. to sing the encore and give more air time to Pretty Vegas, but also wanted J.D. to sing an INXS song that they new he would hit a homerun with. That is as plausable explanation as any in my book. J.D. wins.

I'll stop there, but a few casual observations from the interviews with INXS. Suzie sat with her arms crossed, not a good sign for her. Marty sat back with his legs crossed and arms gently relaxing on the sides of the chair. Not good for Marty as I think it made it look like, hey, i'm in control here (ala the mad conductor). J.D. and Mig were more leaning forward and really attempting to connect with the guys. I think a good sign for both.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: J.D. Wins . . . and Here is Why"
Posted by CattyChat on 09-13-05 at 11:19 AM
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, JPL. I, too, believe J.D. is going to win & I have thought he should win for a long time. He started out as one of a few of my favorites to lead the band, but each of my other "favorites" fell by the wayside either because of their different style, vocal abilities, etc. (never felt others weren't talented in their own way, just not right for INXS).

My biggest reason that Marty will not win, other than he has a totally different style from INXS, is that I truly don't believe he really WANTS to win. Let's think about it. If Marty were to lead INXS, he would have to depart from his style, at least a little, which I don't think he is willing to do (or should do). Marty wants to stay as long as he can, to get as much exposure for himself & his band, Lovehammers, and he will ride this for awhile.

Suzie has a great voice, IMHO, and I really like her. Her & Jordis were my fave females. Suzie will not win because most fans really want a male lead singer & because Suzie doesn't have the stage presence & the confidence/cool to handle media, exposure, etc.

MiG was also one of my favorites to win, but as the weeks went by, he lost me because I don't see him as a leader of a rock band. I see him as a Billy Joel/Harry Connick/Elton John -- put him at a piano and let him sing those soft rock melodies he does so well. He is also too much of a theatre performer, he doesn't have any edge & he just comes off as uncomfortable when he "tries" to be "Rock Star." I love MiG, but his style is not right for INXS.

J.D. is just the man for the job. His charisma & stage presence is unparalleled in this competition. It comes NATURALLY for him & it shows. He has that edge and that "you-can't-turn-away" watchability. INXS needs this for a serious comeback.

J.D. has a great voice. Maybe not the best (Ty & Suzie beat him there) but exceptional, nonetheless. J.D. can do justice to & really sing INXS's back catalogue, while also bringing them to the present with his talents.

J.D. has shown he has an ear towards great music with how he has rearranged old tunes with great success. J.D. stated very early on he has no formal training in music he self-taught himself to play guitar. The fact that he has been able to rearrange tunes & convey what he hears in his mind with the house band, that's a great ability to have. This is why, with the experience of INXS in their writing of music & lyrics, in collaboration with J.D.'s writing abilities & ear, should be really good.

J.D. spent a few hours writing the lyrics to "Pretty Vegas" adding it to the music written by Andrew Farris and look what we have -- a great song & what should be the first single off the new INXS album. Think of the possibilities with J.D. sitting down with INXS over weeks & months to create music?

J.D. will win, because of all the contestants, he is the best fit with INXS. I think if INXS doesn't choose J.D., they are making a mistake & it wouldn't make any sense after the whole series has really focused more on J.D. than any other contestant, J.D. invokes the most buzz (good or bad), J.D. put his lyrics to an INXS arrangement & it has proven a SUCCESS.

INXS can't back out now.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 11:42 AM
Well said! We musta been typing at the same time. I coulda just skipped mine and said, "ditto" to yours. Everything you said is well thought out and based on evidence from the show.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 11:39 AM
Oh, dude, I know this thing keeps you up at night and I'd like to be able to reassure you and just say, "You're right. Absolutely!" but I've accused others of letting their anti-JD bias show and I think your pro-JD bias is coloring your interpretation. Before you hyperventilate, I DO think he will win, but your reasoning is a little off.

"Marty by the way is moderately popular in Chicago with his band called Lovehammers... but the problem is that it shows who he really is, which is not INXS."
- Actually, I agree with this. Good reasoning.

"...Marty's pitch to help the band become more modern is simply not practical at this point. What INXS has to do is pick up where they left off, rely heavily on their back cataloge to get people to come to the shows and hope for the best. J.D. allows for this to happen, not Marty. J.D. will win."
- Read Andrew's blog - what's written is written and they aren't going to rely totally on the back catalog. They want to draw in new fans but they are doing it with music that they have already written. Remember how they didn't want any collaboration from Jordis in the studio clinic?

"J.D. got to sing Mystify on elimiation. He also got to sing this live with a few members of the band at a radio gig. I can not tell, but it appears that this was before the elimation show. Thus, they new he would excell at that song and threw him a softball on elimination night. Another sign that J.D. will win."
- Yes, it was before the elimination show but they ALWAYS throw them softballs to sing for survival.

"Pretty Vegas is already getting airplay, was written in part by Andrew and sounds like an INXS song. A marketing dream come true for INXS. Another sign that J.D. will win"
- Here, you are spot on! I think Marty miscalculated by going with "Trees."

"Finally, how could J.D. win the encore and then end up in the bottom three. If you think about it, it simply does not make sense. The answer, . . . the fix is in. INXS wanted J.D. to sing the encore and give more air time to Pretty Vegas, but also wanted J.D. to sing an INXS song that they new he would hit a homerun with. That is as plausable explanation as any in my book. J.D. wins."
- No, I don't think the fix was in. MAYBE fans planned it or maybe they were so busy voting for the encore it drew votes away from bottom 3. I would more argue that show as a sign that JD will be win in the same way that champion sports teams always pick up their games late in the season and all the "breaks" just seem to go their way. I don't think it was a planned "JD Showcase Show" but the fact that it wasn't planned makes it that much more powerful. Hard to fight against the flow of the universe.

"Suzie sat with her arms crossed, not a good sign for her. Marty sat back with his legs crossed and arms gently relaxing on the sides of the chair. Not good for Marty as I think it made it look like, hey, i'm in control here (ala the mad conductor). J.D. and Mig were more leaning forward and really attempting to connect with the guys. I think a good sign for both."
- I think you reading too much into it, there's something there, but we only saw a few moment from each interview, remember? What if Marty leaned forward and they just never showed it?

So, if you look at their bottom line comments about the Final Four:

"Suzie has the best voice, J.D. is the most riveting performer, Marty has come a long way and MiG is a unique presence."

One could argue that Suzie has a strong shot based on voice but Tim wrote in his blog:
"So, this week's elimination saw Jessica leave. She does sing INXS really well but we have to listen to the fans and you guys keep putting her in the bottom three. Something that INXS have been thinking about - especially this week with 3 girls in the bottom three - is that you guys don't want to see a female lead singer in INXS. We are open to a female singer, as she would not draw comparison to Michael, but we have to listen to what the world wants." So, even if it wasn't for her nerves showing, it's bye-bye Suzie.

Looking at the comments on Marty & MiG - those hardly stir the soul. What exactly do they think Marty & MiG will bring?

Posted by jpl68 on 09-13-05 at 12:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-05 AT 12:07 PM (EST)

I think we agree LaLa. My post was supposed to be something to simply spur some comments and was based partly on what I precieve as factual, partly on conjecture, and partly on wishful thinking.

However, I do have the following comments about your post. I don't think Andrew's comments are inconsitent with my point about where INXS is headed. Look, realistically, a hit single will sell a record, but not fill a stadium. INXS' back catalogue will, however. I still don't think INXS will stray too far from what they have been all about, but we will see.

As for throwing everyone softballs, I don't think "Need You Tonight" was a softball for Jordis. Jordis has performed wonderfully on ballads during the show and sang a ballad (Never Tear Us Apart) on the radio. Why not that song for her. So I don't agree with you there.

As for the encore/bottom three angle. More wishful thinking there and than anything that I believe is truly factual. .

As for my commments on how each sat in the chair during the interview, that was not supposed to be a take from me on any indication of who INXS will pick, but I simply know that generally, from a psychological perspective, arms crossed is a defensive or unapproachable posture whereby J.D. and Mig's posture would be viewed as approachable and engaging. Marty's was a bit too laid back. I just found it interesting, but nothing that will ultimately play any real role I'm sure.

Posted by LaLaLisa on 09-13-05 at 12:50 PM
All my debating training was rearing its ugly head.