URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 168
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"How much will it cost to do the same thing?"

Posted by internetracer on 11-10-01 at 00:24 AM
Does anyone know how much money the teams were given for each leg of the race? How much you think it would cost for someone to follow the exact same route and do most of the same things they did on the show?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: How much will it cost to do the same thing?"
Posted by Styxfan on 11-10-01 at 01:28 PM
This is something we've been discussing and the answer is....we're not sure. The show doesn't tell you how much and neither does the website. The teams don't have to pay for their air travel so they don't need a lot of money to get by. Now if you or me wanted to take the same route and do the same things, we would need several thousand US dollars.

"RE: How much will it cost to do the same thing?"
Posted by internetracer on 11-10-01 at 01:58 PM
Thank you Styxfan, I just found this board and I tried searching for a thread about this but didn't have much luck. I did find this quote on a travel site ...

Transportation-Includes everything from air packages to taxi fares, whether purchased at home or abroad. ... . $750-$1,500 is a rough range for a medium distance round-trip with a month of "getting around." $2,000-$3,500 should get you around the world in the Eurasian corridor with moderate surface transit for two to four months. You'll get more transit over more time for $4,000-$6,000 and/or you'll be able to add Africa and the South Seas to around-the-world journey...

Per Diem (daily allowance)-For me, this primarily means food, shelter, admissions, and beer. ... A budget per diem might be $10-$30 ($300-$1,000 per month) in the developing world, $25-$60 ($750-$2,000 per month) in developed nations.

"Food and Accomodations"
Posted by KelvinKing on 11-10-01 at 08:41 PM
At least the teams get to rest at the pit stops and I think meals are provided at each pit stop, as we've seen quite a few times at the beginning of the episode. So, all they really have to pay for is transportation.. and maybe the occassional chocolate bar ;)