URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID7
Thread Number: 1677
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What's your dream twist?"

Posted by MachiavelliX on 06-26-13 at 10:37 PM
What do you believe would be the ultimate "expect the unexpected" twist? Here's mine, although I severely doubt it would ever happen seeing as it would require CBS to give BB more airtime, in the beginning anyway. So here goes:

24 contestants. 2 houses, divided up equally. The first 4 weeks you have 2 HOH's, 2 nomination and veto ceremonies (as well as competitions), and 2 evictions. Here's the kicker: Neither one of the 2 households realize they exist apart from each other until both are down to 8 contestants. Imagine thinking you have a 1 in 8 chance, when suddenly Julie pulls the curtain back and you have to deal with 8 MORE people that you haven't even met yet.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What's your dream twist?"
Posted by suzzee on 06-27-13 at 09:38 AM
chocolate & caramel in a waffle cone

I should be watched....closely.

Posted by Estee on 06-27-13 at 10:00 AM
The issues here are network: you'd need to commit more initial primetime hours than BB already has in order to make this work, and most executives don't believe in this level of viewership attention span and ability to memorize faces.

Treasure Hunters tried something similar with moderate airtime. Remember how long that lasted?

Posted by Snidget on 06-27-13 at 10:05 AM
Cast 16 hamsters who actually watch the show and understand the game, were not recruited from a modeling agency/bar in any way, have no relationship to any previous hamster or CBS reality TV contestant, were never on BB or other CBS reality TV shows themselves, form a diverse group in some non-formulaic way, each have some redeeming quality that makes them likeable and enough personality to create entertainment value.

Go on CBS, I dare you!

Posted by Round Robin on 06-27-13 at 03:53 PM
I'd take what Snidget says and add this: No new twists. Any and all twists must be ones that have been previously used. They have plenty to choose from.

Posted by krismiss2us on 06-28-13 at 08:42 AM
married couples

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 07-01-13 at 07:39 PM
I tried to write a story with a twist that just might work, but I ran out of steam and time to write.

The idea? Secret missions. Inspired by a rule variant in Risk, the idea is that every player is randomly given a "secret mission" to accomplish, which reads something like "Reach the Final 2 while also doing this." The "doing this" may be something like never win HoH, never win PoV, use the PoV three times, pick one person to carry to F4, serve as America's Player twice, etc. If the player accomplishes his/her secret mission and reaches F2, he/she plays for double prize money (i.e. $100K for runner-up and $1 million for a win.) Of course, players aren't allowed to reveal their secret missions.

I also like the possibility of splitting the house based on haves and have-nots, and make the divide deep. Split the house into two 8-member teams, preferably even-gender, even-age, even-strength, etc. The first competition of the week is the have/have-not competition in teams, and the winning team competes for HoH. Nominees, of course, can come from either team. The beds inside would be plush, more luxurious, and the food and liquor would flow freely for the haves, whereas the have-nots sleep in a brutal have-not area (I freaking love this season's have-not room,) get cold showers from what looks like something out of a high school chemistry classroom, eat slop, can't compete for luxuries, aren't allowed in the HoH bedroom, etc. Just flat-out treat them like second-class citizens. Watch the two houses learn to hate each other.

Posted by michel on 07-02-13 at 10:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-02-13 AT 10:29 PM (EST)

I played a Survivor online game that used that twist. Two hosts recruited players to play a game using the Survivor Nicaragua characters/ They ran their games separately only to merge both boards when it go to the merge.

Result?
- As a player, I hated the twist.
- As a competition, it was a dumb twist because 1 group simply pagonged the other.
- As a viewer, I think it would be really confusing.

It might work better with the BB format than the Survivor one since players from different houses could alternate as HoH but it would still be pretty predictable that they would go after the other side.

The best expect the unexpected twist is much like Snidget said: No twist. Make them believe something will happen but it doesn't.

Posted by Aruba on 07-18-13 at 07:26 AM
I wouldn't call it my "dream" twist, but would like to see BB address this issue.

Before I give my twist let me say if Jeremy gets evicted tonight I'll be quite happy. But even so, I do not like this backdooring concept; IMHO I consider it an act of cowardice, and although it is within the rules of the game, it's a dastardly way for the weak and opposed to target a power player.
So here's my "twist:"

At the POV ceremony, if the HOH (or MVP) chooses a replacement nominee who did not have an opportunity to compete in the POV, that HG choosing that replacement forfeits his/her right to compete in the next POV competition.

Will it eliminate backdooring? Probably not, but it will minimize this ploy and take the cowardice out of the act by showing some "guts" to backdoor anyway knowing and accepting the consequence by not competing in the next POV.

For example, when Helen chose Jeremy as the replacement nominee last night she would forfeit her right to compete in the next POV. But last week when Elissa chose Nick as a replacement, she would NOT forfeit her right to participate in the next POV because Nick, in fact, had an opportunity to win POV and keep himself safe, but failed.

Posted by michel on 07-18-13 at 07:33 AM
Jeremy had a chance to save himself by being a smarter player. If he hadn't been such a douchebag, he wouldn't have been backdoored.

Posted by Aruba on 07-18-13 at 06:06 PM
HEEEEY Michel! How the heck are you? My main man on these Boards. Now that we got the pleasantries out of the way...

Being a "douchebag" is why a majority of the House (and viewers) will celebrate when he walks out the door. But make no mistake about it, the PRIMARY and MAIN reason Jeremy is being backdoored is because he's feared by the more weak and inept as the power competitor the HGs perceive him as; not primarily because he's a "douchebag."

If Jeremy displayed the competitive ineptness of a Spencer for example but still acted like a douchebag, he does not get put up to be backdoored this week.

As stated in my post, in NOOOO way am I bummed over Jeremy most likely leaving tonight. I'm just making a general suggestion for a twist/rule BB should consider to minimize this act performed by the scaredy-cats.

In closing, allow me to use some satire and put it to you this way...if being a douchebag was the primary reason for being backdoored, in any given season, there wouldn't be enough doors in the back of the House to evict the idiots CBS's incompetent casting crew select to play this game. LOL

Posted by michel on 07-18-13 at 10:19 PM
Being perceived as a good competitor also played a role but how many competitions did he actually win? Why add a twist when he already had a chance to win a competition to keep himself safe and he lost.

I don't have a problem with the backdoor strategy except for the fact that it's a big waste and creates an extra enemy. Nominate your targets and let the chips fall. Better yet, don't win the early HOH competitions, don't act like a douchebag and simply get in with the people who are dumb enough to win competitions and guide them towards the nominations that help you the most. Right now, Andy is playing the smartest game. Amanda is almost there but she is slightly too forceful in her guidance. It's never about winning competitions, at least not this early.

Posted by Aruba on 07-19-13 at 07:30 AM
For the third time this is not about Jeremy.

It's a twist I'm suggesting in a GENERAL sense. Jeremy did NOT have an opportunity to save himself in the POV. What's really unfair is a situation when the reigning HOH is unable to complete in the next HOH competition and if he/she gets backdoored they are also not participating in the POV.

All I'm saying is allow the HG on the block to save themselves.
At any rate I am in total agreement with what you said in nominating your primary targets and let the chips fall where they may. Sadly there are those who will resort to the dastardly act of backdooring.

I don't think is was "dumb" for McCrea to win the first HOH of the season...he appears to be sitting pretty right now. And a couple seasons ago Hayden won the first HOH and proceeded to be crowned champion of BB12.

Bottom line, you're not going to be someone or something you ain't. Or as I always say..."You are; who you are; who you are."

Go-getters who always give 100% in life and always put out their best effort will be that way in the House. It's not a question of being "dumb;" it's who they are. Conversely, if the pathetically inept or those who lollygag are that way by nature they are not necessary "smart" or "social in the House;" it's who they are.

Posted by michel on 07-19-13 at 05:49 PM
"Jeremy did NOT have an opportunity to save himself in the POV."

No but he had participated in the previous HOH competition and Helen beat him. Too bad but he had his chance just like most of the other players that were backdoored over time. Jeremy also had the opportunity to save himself by making deals. It shows how dumb he had acted early on that no one voted against someone as despicable as Aaryn to save him.

Even one of your all-time favorites, Yul, said he didn't give 100% in every competition. In BB, there are a few examples where early HoH don't become immediate targets but the best player ever, Will, was smart enough not to go for HoH.

Posted by Aruba on 07-19-13 at 06:34 PM
I'm not sure what the actual timeline is between HOH and POV competitions, but I think it's borderline absurd to say...Golly Gee, if I had only done this (win HOH) FOUR days ago I would not be in this situation...Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, Blah, Blah, Blah... LOL

Yes, Jeremy did not win HOH, but it was only after the HOH competition did he know he was at risk. Case in point, if Kaitlyn had won, he'd be safe.

The point I'm making is when it becomes OBVIOUS a HG is at risk, it's only fair they have a chance to save themselves. Sadly the backdoor ploy cheats a player out of that option.

Yes, Will was one of the best. Personally I would rate Dan as the best ever, but a strong case can be made for Will. Now was Will truly "smart enough not to go for HOH," or did he just flat out suck in competitions and "back into" this reason for not winning for self-preservation? Personally I tend to lean toward the latter, but I'm sure you will think differently.

"Borrowing an Idea"
Posted by michel on 07-18-13 at 10:32 PM
How about having 1 house with 3 wings and one big common dining room. 3 teams of 8 in each wing and they can only mingle with the other teams in the dining room for a few hours a day when everyone is present.

Each team nominates a member of their own team who has to battle it out with the other two nominated players. The winner stays in the game and gets to choose which team he will join. Go down to 2 wings when 16 are left, one wing when it's down to 12 but keep on nominating players to the duels.

I just played an online game hosted by Matt that was designed this way and it was a lot of fun.