URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 1673
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"What do the affiliates know, and when do they know it?"

Posted by mavsfan on 10-30-01 at 10:07 PM
We've got some possible spoiler information from DangerKitty, indicating Kelly leaves during the next episode and I think we need to determine just how much weight to give it.

Here in Dallas We've had two contestants on the show - Greg in SI, and Colby in SII. I don't remember either of them getting profiled by the local affiliate, before they got booted. I do remember very clearly however the day Greg got booted, the local affiliate ran a promo along the lines of "Which contestant is refusing to do post SURVIVOR interviews? Tune in to the 10 o'clock news to find out". Well, the contestant that didn't do post SURVIVOR interviews was Greg. This indicated to me the local affiliate KNEW GREG was getting voted out before the episode aired that night.

I suspect that CBS at the very least strongly discourages the local affiliates from running promos about local players because it would destroy the illusion that they are still in Africa.

So the questions I'll pose are:

1) Has anyone seen a CBS affiliate profile a local player BEFORE THEY WERE VOTED OFF?

2) Has anyone seen the local affiliate profiling a local player THE DAY THEY GET VOTED OFF.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: What do the affiliates know, and when do they know it?"
Posted by Blueville on 10-31-01 at 11:25 AM
Mavs,

I'm in Louisville, KY, quite a ways from Crittenden, KY, where Rodger from S2 is from. Even so, we got a lot of news coverage on Rodger because he did so well, and was so popular in S2. After the merge in S2, Rodger was meeting with local towns people at a restaurant in Crittenden to watch the show each week. One of the Louisville affiliate stations was there every week to talk with the people who had gathered to watch the show, and get their predictions on what was going to happen that particular week.

Our affiliate also interviewed Rodger each week, knowing he couldn't discuss when he would be voted off, or reveal any of what was going to happen. This went on for several weeks, including the week he was voted off.

Posted by bondt007 on 10-31-01 at 11:37 AM
Didn't know where to put this, but this is a quote from Entertainment Weekly mag., from Jessie:

So I guess you're not in touch with any of them now?

All of the guys and I have stayed in touch through emails. Tom calls me all the time. Carl lives in Orlando so we're in touch constantly. Kelly sent me a book about getting prepared for law school.

Don't know if it's worth anything...

Posted by Stairway2Dayton on 10-31-01 at 02:34 PM
I already posted about this on sleeeve's insider thread, but for continuity I'll add to this thread (love those DAWs!).

Here in Cincinnati they also featured Rodger in some way every week. The newspaper would run an "update" before every ep and the local affiliate would "interview" a FOR (friend of Rodger) every Thursday at 11:00 pm. They never showed even a hint of knowing what was going to happen prior to his boot.

S2D

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 10-31-01 at 03:01 PM
and the local affiliate
>would "interview" a FOR (friend
>of Rodger) every Thursday at
>11:00 pm. They never
>showed even a hint of
>knowing what was going to
>happen prior to his boot.

Maybe this is what is happening with Kelly's teacher???

-SB