URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID54
Thread Number: 1669
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I just want to vent"

Posted by Starshine on 03-09-09 at 03:45 PM
Deep breath

Whose clever idea was it to put the U Turn that close to the end of the leg? And on an elimination leg? Both of those tasks were going to take a couple of hours, so the team that got U Turned were never going to survive. That was an ideal place for a yield maybe, but a U Turn was just unfair there was nothing Kris and Amanda could do.

I was most displeased when I watched this.

Something or Other

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I just want to vent"
Posted by Karchita on 03-09-09 at 03:58 PM
I agree. I thought for sure it would be non-elim because it seemed so harsh, especially with those two tasks.

Posted by CTgirl on 03-09-09 at 04:28 PM
Ditto. Overall, the challenges and scenery (and drunken natives watching the challenges ) have been an improvement over the past few seasons, but I hope they bring back the non-elim and speed bump next time. It's more fun to give the U-turned team a fighting chance!

Top of the mornin' by O'Agman

Posted by MaryKat on 03-09-09 at 05:16 PM
I really don't like the U-turn. Margie said they did it to give Cara and Jaimie more time on their task. I have been trying to think of another way to give a team an advantage without destroying another team. I have thought of a way, but it may be too complicated to be useable.

Posted by shimane22 on 03-09-09 at 05:54 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-09 AT 09:58 PM (EST)

Playing devil's advocate for the u-turn:

Every team has an equal chance of avoiding the uturn, by getting through the detour as quickly as possible and finishing ahead of other teams. They weren't u-turned because the other teams are "conniving", they were u-turned because they fell behind.

Amanda/Kris knew a u-turn was coming up because they were warned on the detour clue, and when they gave up on the wood piles they put a huge target on their backs.

In the elimination station video, Kris says it only took them 20 minutes to do the wood stacking after they returned, so it wasn't necessarily a death sentence... they just weren't fast enough at getting the other tasks done.

Also, Amanda/Kris were the last team to finish the detour and get to the u-turn mat. Even if Margie/Luke hadn't used it on them, Mark/Michael or Mel/Mike likely would have in order to save their own necks, with the same result.

Posted by Belle Book on 03-09-09 at 06:57 PM
Maybe not Mel & Mike, but I'd agree that Mark & Michael would have used it.

Posted by MKitty on 03-10-09 at 00:06 AM
Of course not me and MIke (gee Tammy, i knew I liked you for a reason! ) we are men of god,er, well, *I* am a man of god, so we would NEVER (crosses fingers behind back) do something like that!

*Race duds by Agman*

Posted by featherfish81 on 03-10-09 at 03:03 PM
I knew Amanda and Kris should have stayed with the wood. Not much of their stack fell, and the shutters took forever.

Posted by Max Headroom on 03-10-09 at 07:16 AM
I hate the "blind" U-turn concept. In the past the team doing the U-turning had to identify themselves, which made it apparent to everyone else. There was a risk in publicly identifying yourselves as "Team U-turner".

Now? The "blind" U-turn allows a team to be sneaky without the chance for future retribution. It's just flat-out nasty. In this specific case, the two tasks were long enough that whoever got blind U-turned was likely ticketed for Philimination, since it was also not a non-elimination leg. Double jeopardy, indeed.

From the previews for next episode, Margie and Luke can't keep their U-turn secret to themselves, so it looks like they proceed to waste their anonymity. Not smart.

Posted by popeave on 03-10-09 at 11:07 AM
At the very least, if it's going to be a "blind" u-turn, it must be a non-elimination leg, so there's the potential drama of the angry team trying to figure out who did it to them. As it is, Margie and Luke will never have to face their victims, so who cares if it was blind or not?

Posted by warp_core breach on 03-10-09 at 11:32 AM
>As it is, Margie and
>Luke will never have to
>face their victims, so who
>cares if it was blind
>or not?

Exactly!!

A Gift from Agman

Posted by Colonel Zoidberg on 03-11-09 at 06:51 AM
Y'see, I thought for a minute when I saw the "blind" U-Turn that they borrowed my variation on the concept and placed it at the beginning of the leg - sort of as a reward to teams that came in first in the last leg. Especially since bunching points kind of eff that up - might as well give the teams something as a reward for dinishing first besides gnome treats.

This is much stupider. Or more stupid. Or more stupider.

Posted by Karchita on 03-11-09 at 11:24 PM
I have no problem with the U-turn in general, or the blind U-turn, but in this particular situation it seemed like a death sentence to whoever got it.