URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID17
Thread Number: 1639
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Next Food Network Star"

Posted by weltek on 04-24-06 at 09:54 AM
I looked back 3 pages for a topic on this & couldn't find it. Did anyone watch the finale last night? About as anticlimactic as last years.

I was happy with Guy winning, and I was happy with the season, for the most part. Food Network just needs to have a better finale.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Next Food Network Star"
Posted by Red_Dobie on 04-24-06 at 11:37 AM
I watched it too. I'm okay with Guy winning, but there weren't any contestants this season that I was rooting for.

I thought for sure that Nathan would be in the final 2 but throwing Reggie under the bus apparently did him in.

I'll watch Guy's show when it debuts. I liked last year's winners (Steve and Dan) but I don't think they have the charisma to sustain a show.

Posted by weltek on 04-24-06 at 12:03 PM
I agree, Steve & Dan don't thrill me. They are just "ok." I think Guy will do a little better.

I had a little crush on Nathan. The dimples did me in.

Posted by shabalaba on 04-24-06 at 02:08 PM
I would watch Guy. I liked his idea during his try out video where he was trying to show us how easy it is to make sushi.

Posted by ginger on 04-24-06 at 02:29 PM
I'm relieved it was Guy. Reggie was just too much...too much love, too much "gal pal" chatter, too much butter, too much....everything. The Network only needs one Paula Dean (this week we're deep-frying mayonaisse balls!"). I thought Reggie would win because he's a big teddy bear but would rather sit through 30 minutes of Guy.

Posted by missygirl3 on 04-24-06 at 05:30 PM
I skipped this season.Dan and Steve are very boring. plus, I think the food network has enough superstars.

Posted by mtopaz on 04-25-06 at 04:07 PM
I had the opposite reaction to Nathan - he gave me the creeps somewhat with his smile that never reached his eyes. During the TV Guide session, one of the TV Guiders commented that he would have liked a little less teeth and a little more actual connection with Nathan. Two comments did him in, one about "don't let me go before Sofrito-lady" and when he did the slight put-down to Reggie. Both show a lack of class. Glad he didn't make final 3.

I'm from Santa Rosa, and so I was rooting for Guy both because I liked him the best, and because he's a transplated hometown guy. I've eaten at two of his restaurants, and the food and atmosphere were pretty good.

I agree that the finale was pretty blah. And what also struck me was that Guy's son got the limelight with his dad, but the wife was hidden by the gaggle of other people up there. Didn't seem quite right to me. But maybe the wife didn't feel like being in the forefront.

Sig pic by JSlice

Posted by volsfan on 04-24-06 at 08:45 PM
I watched!

Missy, I don't think the Food Network does a good job of rotating the talent they have. I understand that one person can only do so much but good grief...how many Rachel Ray shows do we really HAVE to see (and I love her BTW!).

Also, I thought this season was just as good as the first one. I like the way they show us some behind the scenes of how the network works. I don't find Dan and Steve boring as much as I don't find myself in a setting that would be appropriate to use some of their recipes.

Nathan? WHEW! He was hott and knew it...a big turn off for me. He had the pearly whites going for him but the arrogance was way too much for me.

Reggie is a baker so I wasn't surprised to see him going for "anything" goes type of recipes. Guy? Was ok for me. I think Guy is a great family man abut I seriously don't know if he is going to offer anything the Food Network doesn't already offer.

I would like to see some new faces on the network such as Kat Cora or someone like that. Kat has a very interesting background and seems to bring more "down-to-Earth" type recipes.

Posted by missygirl3 on 04-25-06 at 10:13 AM
Well, thanks Vols. Maybe I can catch some reruns or even watch Guy when he comes on. I just really liked Steve/Dan on their season and I TIVO Party line and it is the same routine every week. I love Kat Cora too!! how come we dont see more or her?

Posted by weltek on 04-25-06 at 12:55 PM
I think the food network could use more high energy shows. Alton, Emeril, Rachel are all high energy shows with good variety that can carry prime time. The others are usually decent in quality, but high in snooze factor, making it difficult to sit through a whole show. I think Guy has a sense of variety, a good mix of down to earth & exploratory recipes and an energy that will be a good match with what the Food Network needs.

Posted by mtopaz on 04-25-06 at 04:12 PM
The others are usually decent in quality, but high in snooze factor, making it difficult to sit through a whole show

LOL - not sure who you mean exactly, but I do love The Barefoot Contessa, which is a very lowkey show. To tell the truth, I hardly ever make any of her recipes, but I love to sit back on a Saturday morning with my coffee and toast, and watch her cook. I'm a cooking-show-aholic I think. Love Paula Deen, Giada of Everyday Italian (make a lot of her dishes), Ina Gartner, and since watching Next Food Network Star, am now a fan of Bobby Flays. I do like Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals too, but I think she's over-represented on the network. Too much of a good thing and all that.

Sig pic by JSlice

Posted by Bebo on 04-24-06 at 09:53 PM
I still enjoyed it.

Mr. B and I were glad that Guy won. While Reggie made some nice desserts, Guy gave me some ideas that I actually plan to use (like the cupcakes with candy inside).

Dan and Steve's show has been a letdown. I still watch, though, because every once in awhile something good shows up (like their goat cheese dip). But I will give Guy's show a try.

We watched the second to last episode on tape. Mr. B was bummed we watched it too late to vote, because he wanted to vote for Guy. But we were pleased with the outcome. And they cleaned up the voting mess of last year, when their website couldn't handle the traffic when they only opened things up for an hour.

Posted by jfriend33 on 04-26-06 at 05:09 AM
I just wanted to say how lame i think it is that reggie did not win. and it is so obvious that he didnt win because guy was straight and reggie wasnt. i was so excited to watch reggie on the show. he really caught my attention. it just kinda irritates me because reggie wasnt exactly a perfect looking person, but neither am i. i mean i think for once foodnetwork would have set everything aside except how well a person could cook, but this contest was bull crap. Guy is so fake, and laughs all the time like he's an overly self confident bimbo, just to draw attention to himself. But Reggie should have won.

Posted by volsfan on 04-26-06 at 06:47 PM
and it is so obvious that he didnt win because guy was straight and reggie wasnt.

It was obvious? How so?

Being one of a few card carrying homosexuals that posts on the forums I couldn't let this go without responding. I don't see how the voting had anything to do with sexual orientation at all...Dan and Steve was very open about their relationship and they won the first season. Where was the bias then? Also, I know I didn't see one show and missed bits and pieces of a couple other shows but was Reggie's sexual orientation discussed at all? Even hinted at?

Also, to mention how people look versus how they cook doesn't really follow The Food Network's all star cast that is currently in place. Emeril, Paula Dean, Ina (what's her name the barefoot show woman) and Alton just to mention a few, are not eye candy in any stretch of the imagination.

I thought a long time before voting and I must say that I didn't see anything new that Reggie would bring to the channel.

What does everything else think that Reggie would bring to the channel that is different than any of their shows now?

Posted by mtopaz on 04-26-06 at 07:13 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-06 AT 07:14 PM (EST)

You know, I never even gave Reggie's sexual orientation a bit of consideration. I liked him immensely as a person, and I hope that his exposure on this show will bring him good things in the future.

I'd be interested in hearing your "proof" for the assertion that Reggie would have won except that the Food Network thought his sexual orientation was not appropriate for them. However, that leads to the question: Why then include him as a contestant? Surely in the process of weeding it down to the initial 9 or 10 contestants, they would have never chosen him to begin with. Or, having chosen him but not wanting him to win, why not boot him before the final 3?

Your premise seems lacking in any demonstrable evidence, and sounds more like sour grapes - something your favorite Reggie seems much to gracious to appreciate on his behalf.

Sig pic by JSlice

Posted by BOYmeetsREALITY on 04-28-06 at 10:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-06 AT 10:36 AM (EST)

The funny thing about this comment is that the entire food service world is loaded with homosexuals who continue to impress, satisfy, and entertain the general population on a daily basis. Certainly the poster can't believe this fact is lost on excutives of a network that caters (HAHA!) to the dining public!

Reggie's sexual orientation was never brought up on the show, so the poster must have done some assuming on His/Her own. Dan and Steve were given a show last year and I didn't even think they were in the top 3 of the contestants. I'm gay and I find their show unwatchable too, because its not stuff I personally would make at home.

What anyone can bring that is truly "NEW" to the channel is pretty silly, as EVERY chef on the channel has already done numerous shows featuring EVERY kind of food inexistnce!

Guy and Reggie each had as fair a chance of winning as any of the other contestants, but Guy's cooking skills were far superior to Reggie's. Now...if they were to consider a new BAKING show, maybe Reggie could bring something new to the scene!

Posted by Das Mole on 04-26-06 at 08:19 AM
Evette was my personal favorite from the start, but...of course.

I didn't see the finale, although I pretty much knew it would be Guy. Did they reveal vote percentages, or no?

Posted by tac_2 on 04-28-06 at 11:14 AM
I regret coming in late to this one but was pulling for Reggie although I suspected he wouldn't win because he put too much effort into being lovable, not enough into creative dishes.

The finale seemed a little shakey to me but then, this was Food Network's first shot. (correct me if I'm wrong there)

Someone mentioned The Barefoot Contessa--she's my favorite and can say her recipes, mostly very simple and fast, are absolutely delicious.

Posted by volsfan on 04-28-06 at 09:14 PM
The finale seemed a little shakey to me but then, this was Food Network's first shot. (correct me if I'm wrong there)

This was the second season. Steve and Dan (a gay couple) won the first season and their show runs Saturday morning. The finale for season one was just as cheesy as this one.

Posted by BOYmeetsREALITY on 04-28-06 at 02:18 PM
Seriously, if the Food Network wants to run these kind of programs, they are really going to have to invest in some studio that can handle the Finale!

What the heck was with that totally underproduced and "cheesy" Finale they held???

The poor contestants could barely fit on the screen with all those people packed into that tiny studio! The whole thing came off as very "amateur" looking to me. even picture ans sound quality were off.

For a network that produces so many in-house programs, they should have been able to come up with SOMETHING better than what they did.

There's gotta be plenty of restaurants and banquet centers in NYC that would have taken the free publicity to host it.

They need to put as much into producing the Finale as they did the rest of the show.

Posted by mtopaz on 04-28-06 at 02:55 PM
There's gotta be plenty of restaurants and banquet centers in NYC that would have taken the free publicity to host it.

If they do this competition again, hopefully they'll make improvements, such as you suggest. I agree, the finale was cheesy and lackluster.

Sig pic by JSlice

Posted by volsfan on 04-28-06 at 09:16 PM
Seriously, if the Food Network wants to run these kind of programs, they are really going to have to invest in some studio that can handle the Finale!

I don't disagree but at least they addressed the voting thing from season one. We were given one hour to vote on their Web site. The site couldn't handle the traffic and not everyone got to vote. At least they gave four days to vote this go around.