URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID45
Thread Number: 163
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Battlestar Galactica"

Posted by JRome on 12-09-03 at 04:46 PM
Anyone see this last night?

I caught the last 40 minutes or so and thought it was good.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Battlestar Galactica"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 12-09-03 at 05:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-09-03 AT 05:48 PM (EST)

I taped it and watched it really late last night. I think I was in kindergarden when the thing aired on ABC in the 70's and other than remembering seeing some big teddy bear robot and the A-Team's Face (that's how I knew him) on the couple of episodes that I caught on the air when it was in repeats when I was a kid, I know nothing of the original show other than the basic premise -- rag-tag fleet, etc. (although I can see where some of the diehard fans are upset about the revamp)

But that said, I thought Part 1 was excellent and found the storyline, pacing, etc. definitely kept my attention for the two hours as I tried to play "catch-up" and figure out what was unclear because I didn't know much of the genre and wht was intentionally unclear as part of the plotline -- but to me that's a good thing. If tonight's conclusion is as good as the first part, I hope it does well enough to become a series -- assuming it doesn't just become a "guest star" of the week show, it looks like it might be able to fill the "space saga" hole that's been around since Babylon 5 left the airwaves.

-SB

Posted by Swami on 12-09-03 at 08:26 PM
I remember the 70s series very well, and thought this version is a pretty good re-thinking of the show concept. I enjoyed it a lot, and look forward to seeing the conclusion in about 40 minutes.

Things I really liked: the new improved Cylons, and Starbuck is a girl! In the original Starbuck was a feisty wild guy. Starbuck the girl is the exact same character but in feminine form! She would not have existed in the 70s.

Things I don't like: I haven't warmed to the new Adama (the father one.) He's too dry and doesn't have any air of command. I'm hoping that changes tonight.

Swami

Posted by trigirl on 12-10-03 at 12:18 PM
I haven't heard about this. When and what station is it on?

I loved Battlestar Gallactica when I was a young impressionable teenage girl. I especially loved Richard Hatch (not the fat, naked one!). Gee, I'm going to have to dig out my Tiger Beats!

TriGirl's First Love

Posted by tk72 on 12-10-03 at 01:41 PM
The show is on the Sci-Fi Channel. You can see part 1 and 2 on Sunday at 7/6C.

"Second season has been approved!"
Posted by IceCat on 02-24-05 at 05:22 PM
'... Reports have the second season of "Galactica" running 20 episodes, up from the 13-episode first-season order. That also brings the series more in line with the Stargates, which also have 20-episode seasons.

With production expected to begin in March, producers of "Battlestar" are looking at a quick turnaround time for the episodes, which likely will premiere in July...'

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1743

"Ratings"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 12-10-03 at 10:29 PM
Sounds like chances are good for a regular series... which given the ending, I hope happens -- I didn't like the small cliffhanger-like end at all -- frankly I was expecting a new spin on the old wideshot of the fleet and Adama voiceover, LOL...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=televisionNews&storyID=3973694

The second night of the Sci Fi Channel miniseries "Battlestar Galactica" rocketed past the first Tuesday to deliver the cable channel's highest-rated program of the year.

"Galactica," starring Edward James Olmos, gathered 4.5 million total viewers, surpassing the 3.9 million who watched Monday's opening of the four-hour miniseries. Tuesday's tally gave Sci Fi not only enough ratings power to blast past the WB Network and UPN in primetime but provided the third-highest-ranked program in the station's history.

With an average of 4.2 million viewers, "Galactica" finished behind "Steven Spielberg Presents Taken" (5 million) and "Frank Herbert's Dune" (4.6 million) but bettered the more recent sequel, "Children of Dune" (2.7 million).

Posted by Angelfood on 12-10-03 at 11:13 PM
woo hoo!
thought I'd be the only one.

I watched the original too, but was young. I would be interested to see the differences now (I'll have to do a search when i'm bored).

I really enjoyed watching it. I was glued. (i even missed the avg joe finale and simple life for it).

I wasn't 100% thrilled with all of the changes, but was glad to see that it dared to go in a new direction.
Starbuck is GREAT! I love her. I don't like the whole "sexual tension" thing with her and Apollo (that's her ex's brother).
I love the cylons, love the premise of them, the themes of religion and reincarnation and wanting to be loved - and I loved the kickbutt ending in the last few seconds!

It better have more eps.

RollDdice creation

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-14-05 at 04:15 PM
If anyone saw it, ignore my previous (since deleted) post -- I'm not sure what's going on, but all the TV listing, etc. info that I had seen ealrier this week stated that tonight's Galactica episodes were a rebroadcast of the miniseries, but based on everything I'm reading now, that's clearly not the case (which is a good thing.)

Posted by Swami on 01-18-05 at 01:14 PM
Friday's ep was all-new, and all good! I enjoyed the show a lot and think it will become one of SciFi's best series this year. They have interesting characters that they are developing well, and the special effects are well integrated into the show.

I like that they have the character who played Apollo back in the 70s playing a major recurring role. It's a continuity thing I guess. Although the all-time great continuity thing (in my opinion) was having Majel Barret be the voice of the computer in all the Star Trek spin-offs. That is awesome.

Posted by Tahj on 01-18-05 at 02:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-05 AT 02:21 PM (EST)

Yeah it is, although since she was married to Gene Roddenberry they may not have had a choice.

I liked Majel as Deanna Troi's mother. She was a hoot.

"I've seen all 13 episodes"
Posted by IceCat on 01-28-05 at 07:37 PM
It is the absolutely the most intelligently written and compelling sci-fi series that I have ever had the pleasure of watching and the season ending cliff hanger took the breath out of me.

I hope that they get the ratings they need to justify season 2.

"RE: I've seen all 13 episodes"
Posted by Tahj on 01-31-05 at 11:11 AM
You've seen all 13 episodes? How did you manage that?

"They were shown on Brit TV"
Posted by IceCat on 02-02-05 at 07:23 PM
Sky One satellite in Britain had the rights to start showing the episodes before they aired them in North America.

"February 19 Episode"
Posted by Seana on 02-24-05 at 02:00 PM
I saw the premiere and a couple eps of this show, but then we got rid of our "Value Pack" and are down to basic cable. Fortunately, my cousin tapes it for me, but doesn't really watch, so she can't answer this question for me.

There are a Cylon clone and a human on Caprica. This last episode, the clone got beaten up. They are leading the human guy around for some reason. Is this a mystery or what have I missed?

I admit I don't know everyone's name yet, but I really like this show.

Thanks in advance for any help!

"Link to Episode Guide"
Posted by IceCat on 02-24-05 at 05:18 PM
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/season01/101/

Posted by a_little_groovin on 03-14-05 at 02:45 AM
hey guys im a new fan here of battlestar....i had never seen the old series, just the new one...ive seen the episode last week, i found it very interesting...anyway, is galactica the name of the ship?...is there a replay?

Posted by Swami on 03-14-05 at 11:30 AM
Yes, the Galactica is the name of the ship. The Galactica was the oldest ship in the fleet and about to be de-commissioned because of all it's low-tech, obsolete, non-computer-based hardware & systems when the Zylons attacked. Because of its low tech nature the Zylon could not infiltrate its systems and take over the ship--so it is the only battleship that wasn't immediately wiped out.

SciFi replays things all the time. I'm sure you'll have future opportunies to catch up on what you have missed.

I think this series is really well written & acted! I'm lovin' it!

Posted by a_little_groovin on 03-14-05 at 09:36 PM
thanks swami for the info....i really love the show...who's ur favorite character?...and i've heard they're going to be tv guide's cover on march 17's edition....im planning to buy that edition.